Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Really excited for Epicloud now. I've been crazy about Devin for a few years now, but this year my interest sort of wained. It may have something to do with the fact that I saw Dev live 5 times last year, but I just couldn't get interested in his music in the same way that I was, despite having hastily bought VIP tickets for The Retinal Circus after the amazing London shows last year when I was on a Devin high. Luckily the samples of Epicloud have rekindled my love for Devin, and I listened to Ocean Machine for the first time in aaaages yesterday. drat. I still love that album so much. For me it has a great balace of cheese, but also depth, and despite the longish run time, it never feels long. New Devin material is just what I need I think, as I kind of burnt myself out on the albums of his that I like.

Even so, I would probably say that I am more excited for Casualties of Cool, and the possibilities of hearing a more melancholic, haunted side of Devin. I expect it will have a similarish vibe to Ki, with less density. Greg Puciato (of The Dillinger Escape Plan) has heard Epicloud, and tweeted a lot of praise for it. I would look for the tweets to link, but it was a little while ago now, and I am far too lazy, but the general gist of it was "this is what stadium rock/metal should sound like" along with a whole load of other stuff. TDEP being another favourite of mine, this makes me super stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I thought everything after Where We Belong was really good, but I still dislike Lucky Animals quite a lot. Grace and Save Our Now are early favourites.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I was immensely sceptical of this album. Addicted! felt like bottled lightening, a one off pop metal masterpiece. Epicloud has proven me totally wrong. I wasn't massively keen on it on a first listen, but I gave it another proper go today on my commute to work and loved it. When I got chills during the opening chords of "Where We Belong", that's when I knew that this album was wonderful...

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

(You may have seen me, I was the fairly-goony dude in a bright yellow t-shirt near the front---it totally feels weird to not have a metal shirt on at a metal show. I was thinking of wearing my Sleep shirt, but I changed my mind at the last minute. Regret.)

As goes the fighting, I'm not 100% sure---there were a lot of drunks (I chatted with a fairly hilarious set from Austin), but there were some that were just plain volatile, they'd just start pounding on passerby or invading your space. The pit wobbled back and forth between "good times with shoving people" and "man, there is an evil incursion upon my personal being, and it's making us all really uncomfortable."

Wow, I would never have expected that at a Devy show. My only complaints about the crowd at Dev shows is the reception to the support is often poo poo/rude, because the people there just want to see Dev. There is also a lot of "who is the bigger fan" competition that gets a bit wearisome/grating after a while, but I've never seen a fight. When I saw Addicted live in London it was one of the best atmospheres of any gig I've ever been to. I was on the barrier between a couple who had flown over from New Hampshire and another couple from Scotland. I saw the Scottish couple at the Deconstruction show the following night and it was awesome.

(Not sure if they were actually Scottish but I think they went to see Pain of Salvation with Opeth in Edinburgh the night before)

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Practically salivating after that SYL box. I personally love the redesign, and blood music know how to put an awesome package together.

Also I would recommend starting with Addicted, Devin-wise.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
This version costs €/$200. I am basically in a jizz-coma until preorder day rolls round.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Just got the shipping notification for my SYL box and pretty much poo poo myself in excitement. Been anticipating this for ages now, I think it was first announced 2 Christmas' ago? Also, I love Anneke's voice, she totally makes those albums for me and goddamn does she sound good live.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

neillyb posted:

Ki is one of my favourites from Devin so I'm really looking forward to Casualties of Cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umAwTXIC3g8

I can't wait. Hoping for a really atmospheric album with a nice deep sound to it.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Kins posted:

Devin announced his planned release dates for his next things on the Twooter:

Casualties of Cool: April
Z2: End of 2014
Previously-Unannounced Album of Guitar-and-Flute-only Relaxation Music With Kat Epple: Sometime next year on the side.

Prolific little bugger, ain't he?

Can't wait for Casualties... I hope that stays on schedule. All the stuff he's said about it, and that tiny preview clip of the choir recording make me super excited. We're so greedy! Epicloud was only out around a year ago, and is still ridiculously good.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Anyone who was sleeping on pledging like me, time is almost up: 14 hrs to go!

I ended up pledging for the 2CD (partly because I forgot about the vinyl and partly because the vinyl is really expensive).

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/casualties-of-cool?utm_campaign=project8813&utm_medium=project_badge

e: Album is available to download for pledgers right now! Second disc available next week.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 14, 2014

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Gave it a first listen today and really liked it. Can't wait for the DTP end of Z2 though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Those On My Left posted:

Yes. It is easily the best song on that album.

Agreed. The trio of Where we Belong, Save Our Now and Kingdom is also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Jenk posted:

I think Deathray is the first Devin song I've ever been disappointed by. Normally if I don't get it, it needs a few more listens, but I don't think that's going to save Deathray :(

Pretty much this. Disconcerted by how un-excited I am about this album right now.

• Locked thread