Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Honestly, this should just be the video. I couldn't stop laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

lkz posted:

Please, come and join the Epicloud listening party.

Wow, thanks for the link. I'll be listening to this album a lot.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Another telling you to have a look at Ocean Machine, then have a go at Infinity or Synchestra. Although you can't really go wrong with any of the solo albums (Even Physicist has its moments). In fact the only thing you should really stay away from is the self-titled SYL album. There is very little in it that sounds pleasant or interesting, and it's lyrically pretty dull too.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

I hope they make a few more of those guernseys, they looked cool. Should be a fun show though, the Palace is way better than billboard.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Yeah, awesome show last night and still stunned/ecstatic that we got Gaia. Possibly my favourite thing that he's ever done.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chocobo posted:

I finally got around to listening to Accelerated Evolution, and its pretty neat. Even the songs I don't like overall have some incredible riffs that make them worth a listen, and Deadhead seems to be the standout track of the lot. Is it fair to say that this album is the closest thing to Ocean Machine that Devin has put out?

Wow, never really thought about it like that but I guess it is the closest album to Ocean Machine. I've always really liked Accelerated Evolution for exactly that reason, the riffs are fantastic from the outset and like seemingly every Devin album it'll grow on you more and more.

Depth charge is an incredible opening salvo as well.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

I can't stand S/T personally. There's nothing in there for me.

If you're coming from the solo stuff then I definitely agree on The New Black. City is the magnum opus of SYL.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Imperial->Skeksis->Shitstorm is godly. I know City is considered the landmark but for me, Alien is the best.

henpod posted:

I remember the first time I heard Shitstorm. I was also quite new to metal at the time and it left me in a daze. I had never anything so irrationally angry and chaotic. I seem to remember him screaming something about not being able to piss.

Everything in Shitstorm from "All I've been looking for is an excuse to feel this way" right through to the end in incredible, and that musical burst from "I'll show you how to be crazy gently caress YOU" still sends shivers down my spine. We Ride is also a highlight.

Having said this, my favourite SYL tracks are actually the two bonus tracks on Heavy as a really heavy thing. Japan and Monday. Really awesome if you can track them down.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

I think the production really suits some songs on Physicist. Namaste in particular.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

If that By Request set list is for real then I am envious.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/devin-townsend-project/2015/royal-albert-hall-london-england-1bc89de8.html

I mean really.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Went to the Melbourne show tonight and holy cow he played Death Of Music and it was incredible.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Everything since Addicted! has been really difficult for me to give repeat listens to. Not because I don't like them but rather that with things like Spotify/Bandcamp etc I'm finding it really different to give anything genuine replays in short succession like I used to. There's always some perpetually never ending to do list of thing I need to listen to first. As a result only a few tracks in the past few years have really gotten stuck in my head (Chief of which being Cry Forever - some b-side off Epicloud).

Having said that, it all sounded great live. March of the Poozers (had to look it up after the show) was massive.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

The second half of Noisy Pink Bubbles has always gotten to me like few other songs have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Just listening to it now. I'm not huge on the new Truth. It could be because I've been listening to Infinity for 15-20 years, but now that it sounds so clean it doesn't seem to have the same edge to it. Offer Your Light is the clear standout though, wow.

• Locked thread