Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

The listening party was reuploaded by a guy:
http://youtu.be/8vnBgpbIeKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vnBgpbIeKk

Excited to see him in a few days in Seattle with Katatonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I wasn't able to go to the Seattle show. I've made most of them over the past few years and have really wanted Regulator and/or Earth Day to be played but it never was. Figures the show I miss had 1 of them. Those were the two songs that got me hooked on Dev after I saw SYL at a multi-band concert years ago and my interest was caught.

I find when I have a few Epicloud songs in my head they easily turn into other Dev songs. I love the continuity in his work, but his loss of interest in heavy stuff seems noticeable. I'm curious how Z2 will end up. As amazing as these last albums have been, ZtO was the last full album I absolutely loved where as the subsequent works have had parts I didn't care much for. I rarely listen to a full DTP album like I did most DTB albums. It was hit and miss for SYL stuff, too.

Absolutely love the man and his work, though, and will always look forward to what he presents. I wish he could get a stadium show like his music deserves.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I was hoping for an SYL song, too. I wonder how he feels about that side of his music. If I had the chance to go to a VIP deal again I would like to ask if he wants to put that music to rest, or if he'll ever play any of the songs again. It seems like something he's wanted to separate himself from.

I didn't care much for it until a few years ago and now SYL or Alien are very frequently on my playlist. I regret being so clueless when I saw him for the first time in SYL.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

junan_paalla posted:

I'm rambling like an idiot here, but I could just talk about this dude all day long. :allears:
Feel the same. What's been interesting to me is how accessible he is. I grew up listening to huge world-renowned bands with giant concerts and no way to actually talk or interact with them. Then I discover Dev's music as a young adult which floors and changes me. He then becomes a huge monumental figure of inspiration and what not.

Then by chance he plays a small, free acoustic show and walks in the door unannounced stopping right next me. We chat for about 5 minutes followed by another chat a bit later. Ryan VP has responded to tweets I've sent, Dave Young chatted with me after a show and gave me the set list. I've had other conversations, actual conversations, not just quick hand shake-move down the line, with Dev at various venues.

Being able to tell someone how much their music means to me, then have them say how much my listening means to them is just incredible.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Much agreement about ZtO being perfect. I went through it last week for the billionth time and am always astounded by it. I think that's what plays part in sort of being less than thrilled with the DTP works. ZtO was sort of a capstone to me of all his styles from DTB, SYL, and even DevLab put into one incredible piece of work he did all on his own.

There still has been incredible work done after, but looking back at that time and the years just before it definitely had a different vibe. Watching that Deadhead track from Safe Zone brought it all back again. The guitar work he does in that little 'show' just blows me away and it's a sound I don't think he can do anymore. I kind of miss that Dev, though I'm so happy he's doing what he wishes to do and feels right about rather than forcing something that's not him anymore.

I'm grateful he's still doing what he's doing and look forward to what's to come.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Here's the pay per view thing.
http://www.livemusicstage.com/retinal-circus

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I submitted a reply hoping to win a free streaming ticket (it's about ZtO)
http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/10/09/contest-win-a-free-live-stream-of-devin-townsends-sold-out-retinal-circus-performance/

Fingers crossed!

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I couldn't get the website to load around the time of the concert, so I didn't get to see it. Looking forward to the DVD release. Glad to hear some SYL made it out again.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Revol posted:

I've yet to see Meshuggah. :(

Technically you have since everyone has ripped them off. =]

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

This made me smile so huge I'm sure I broke my face muscles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0apsOhWV2M
"Me and Dirk during Deconstruction... just found this. =) It's a cover of a song by Weebl. Look it up if you get a sec."

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKhAZQkm7P8

"Smokin Smokin. Smokin on the water. Oh yeah, smoke is there"

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Rusty Kettle posted:

The second Ziltoid radio is up. This is my favorite thing. How many episodes of this are there going to be? He seemed to imply that there would be 42 of them in the second episode, but that might just be Ziltoid being Ziltoid.

EDIT: Here is the Link

Oh man the Shingle Ladies part killed me. A lot of the time his voice and comments remind of Ice King from Adventure Time. That would be a fun radio show, too.

In this interview he said 40 something, don't quite remember and don't have sound at the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5_WBMkO7Jk

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

What I love about Dev's albums,especially compared to other musicians who try to be emotional, is that they resolve. He also expresses the emotions through music, voice, and thoughtful phrases rather than literal "I'm angry and this is why!". I see it most in Terra, AE and Synchestra in that they are kind of upbeat but aggressive, then get really dark, but then come out on a happier side and get past whatever was the problem (if that makes any sense).

Deadhead and Suicide are a brutal combo, but the album progresses to be pretty cheery. AE and Terra have my favorite sound as far as guitar tone and solo style. I never thought of the guitar work as 'wanky' but really expressive and I don't hear it so much anymore. It's really noticed in the Safe Zone DVD fills between songs. There hasn't really been another Deep Peace or Away. He still pulls of the 'wanky' stuff well but that's exactly how it feels, as he acknowledges himself and done in Deconstruction.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I didn't listen to it much just due to how foul and angry it was and I didn't "understand" Devin at the time. I was kind of prude about language and stuff. I also loved Physicist, though, so that was a nice bridge to it. Alien is the only full album I listen to, but my go-to tracks are Almost Again, Skeksis, Aftermath, Relentless, Last Minute, AAA, In the Rainy Season, Shine, Zen, and The New Black.

I was first introduced to Devin's music when SYL played at a festival and I'd heard lots about him. I was a bit taken aback by it, though, until I later heard Regulator, Earth Day and DTB's stuff when looking into Dev's work. I didn't really get SYL until 5 or so years later and wish I understood what I was seeing back then since it would never be seen again. I have some personal issues similar to Devin and I've found SYL to be a huge help when pressure gets to be a bit much, which seems a bit contrary but man does/did he know how to let it all out. First hearing Skeksis was one of the most powerful music experiences I've ever had.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Wow. Hadn't heard Monday before. It's added to the list of his stuff I can never play loud enough.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I'm enjoying it a lot, probably a little more than Ghost. I only listen to a few tracks for it anymore and I think, in part, is how repetitive the flute feels (going with what Those On My Left said, too). I loved most of Ki but also only listen to a few songs from it still. So, CoC seems a better mix of the Ki/Ghost parts I prefer.

What I do really like about it, as usual for Dev's stuff, is the ambiance and atmosphere he's so good at creating. It sounds really great with a lot of little things adding to it. It sets it apart from works out there of folky/bluesy guy/girl singing styles.

I didn't see it posted, but his youtube channel has a few samples from Z2 I believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTANnepUI5U

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

This, too?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4KTO6S0tg

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

That's how it felt at the last show of his I saw. He was doing his best, but it seemed he really wanted it to be over quick. I was able to have a brief chat after with him and get the set list signed, though, and he looked pretty darn tired.
I think Z2 will be a big load off his shoulders as there's been so much expectation and hype for it for a while now.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

That is so beautiful. I find it extremely frustrating that they won't get the attention they deserve. Part of me thinks that's OK as it keeps it really special (not meaning to be hipster-like...), but it's such a talented production that deserves some accolades.

And for a good Devin sample, I've usually had people start with Terra, Accelerated Evolution, or Ziltoid, given Dev's nature is explained a little. ZTO just hits so many of the things I love about his style in the whole album whereas others sometimes just have a mix of songs here or there that does it for me. It's goofy/campy and introspective, heavy and light, melodic and chaotic and the final track cracks me up thinking it's a geeky kids daydream while stuck in a mundane job. Hope Z2 is comparable and way excited for it.

I've mentioned it before, but his work often starts in high energy or somewhat silly, then turns really emotional in frustration, anger or depression, but then circles around to be somewhat resolving and upbeat again to end on a positive and optimistic side.

For SYL, if you liked Love try Aftermath, Almost Again, or Wrong Side. Honestly, I have a hard time with most of SYL but fully appreciate what it is and where it came from. I do absolutely love Alien, though, and with a bit of BP issues myself it means a lot to me, which is maybe why I find more meaning in some of this than I should...

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Is the preorder only through the Omerch site or is there a North America option? I don't know if it would save much on shipping or make a difference. Tried searching a bit and checked the HD forum, but haven't had any luck.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've listened to pretty much everything from Ocean Machine to ZTO basically on repeat since first discovering DTP stuff. I listened to Ki, Addicted, Decon, and CoC a ton when first released, then not really since. I only listened to Ghost a few times.

I listened to Epicloud one and a half times and Epiclouder once. Nothing has really set well with me for continued listening since ZTO, though I appreciate what has come after. Devin's changed a lot over the years and his music reflects it, which is great because it means he's making exactly what he wants rather than forcing something. For me, though, it lacks something I can't quite explain that the previous works had.

All I can think of is the difference between Star Wars IV-VI and I-III. Both trilogies are huge productions, but one has a notably different tone and impact than the other. I feel that things change once an artist has broadened their talent so much that they can do anything that comes to mind compared to working with a bit more limitation in the earlier times of a discovery/experimentation. It's how I've felt about all my favorite musicians as they've progressed and I find myself disliking their most recent works, especially if they had a notable shift.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

henpod posted:

I think overall, Skeksis is my favourite song of his ever. It's just absolute chaos.
Me too. The first time I heard it I sat in stunned silence afterwards for a good while. There are no other songs out there as chaotic and huge that also include xylophones.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

horse mans posted:

Just finished my first listen of Z². It's... not really what I was expecting, and I'm probably an idiot. In a few places in Ziltoid, there was this really majestic space opera sense to it, a hint of the unknown, a just-barely fleshed out universe, searing with neon and mystery. Ziltoid was 100% about trying to fathom the unfathomable. This is just... Epicloud with aliens.

Time to give Sky Blue a try.

The raw version of Z2 is much better, imho, and has moments that remind me of ZTO, but I have the same feeling. March of the Poozers Raw is seriously awesome and seems a good companion to Juular. I only listened to Sky Blue once and nothing really caught me, other than a few nice moments here and there. Both seem super busy and there's a lot of constant choral work without those moments ZTO had of openness, introspection and intensity build up. Overall, they felt like B-sides to Addicted/Deconstruction/Epicloud.

He's definitely honing in on a certain sound. It seems he's removing himself (which he's hinted at wanting for a while now)and going more all out with grand compositions for choirs and orchestras, which is great as he's super talented in doing so. It just leaves me missing the parts I've loved in his music and accept that the AE/Terria style of guitar work and tone is long past.

You know, I'd kind of like to see him go the Danny Elfman route and make movie soundtracks.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've enjoyed Z2 a lot more with the Raw CD. I think without hearing the dialogue version, though, a lot wouldn't make sense. It's not as easy to follow the story. Still, there are moments when I just want to hear the music (mainly guitars) but the drone of voices and choir are constant and predominate, which also makes it hard for me to follow the lyrics. War Princess is a lot of fun and I love the riff after the "I'M YOUR QUEEEEEN!" part.

I haven't gone through Sky Blue again, but I'm wanting to once I get my fix over with on Z2. I don't know that I'll be able to see his upcoming show as it's on a weeknight requiring me to miss work. I'm curious what he'll be playing and since it'll be one of the first shows in this tour maybe I'll just have to go see.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Both albums are really growing on me and I realize I was a bit hasty in judging them. They're quite busy, so it takes a few listens to pick things apart. Feel the same, Fina, about Sky Blue as there's just a few moments that I don't care for but like it as a whole. Now I hear a lot of throwbacks to Ocean Machine, Infinity and Synchestra, too. Also, I get a kind of 80s/early 90s vibe from it, but in a totally awesome way.

I'm really loving Z2 and realize it's an entirely separate beast from ZTO, not a sequel or continuation. Went through the raw version a few times, then back to the full disk and am enjoying it a lot more now that I know the songs better. It actually flows pretty well as a show production, not so much as a music album that I'm more accustomed to and expected from Devin. He's grown to be hugely talented in composing pretty elaborate stuff which is kind of jarring at first when coming from his previous works (as Decon showed).

I've done the same with my other favorite group, Katatonia's last few albums. At first I wasn't sure I cared for them. Then a few more listens let me break the songs apart and hear what's going on better and now they're huge loves of mine. I'll need to revisit Epicloud/er and do the same. I know there were parts I liked. I kind of feel that Sky Blue is what I was wanting to get when Epicloud was announced but it felt empty. I'm bad at using music as a sort of emotional crutch, too, so if it doesn't fit for where I am at the time I write it off too quickly.

I know I like an album when I get excited for parts that are coming up, then those parts make excited for the next part and I find myself turning the volume up more and more. I'm getting that now from both albums.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I mean in the same level as production, sound and style. I was wanting more ZTO and disappointed at first that Z2 wasn't quite that and it's taken a few listens to appreciate what it is instead.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Just want to say how impressed I am with RVP's drumming over the course of all these albums. I really love both these albums now and was wrong with my first impressions.

And with that, Ki came out 5 years ago, right? So there's been basically 10 quality albums, some with huge production logistics, and 2 DVD concert releases that were also huge productions all supported by World tours in that span. Really hope he gets some good rest after this tour. Decided to make sure I go to the upcoming show. I'd like to tell him thanks in person again.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Devin Townsend Project @ Metro Chicago 11/26/2014 Full show
http://youtu.be/y3pD22MZbXo

The audio mix seems a bit off, though.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

He toured with her band, Stolen Babies, back in 2012, I think? She filled in a few songs, notably Colonial Boy and I imagine he built Queen B the War P for her. I love her part, too, and Devin has a great knack for finding unique talent and fitting it in to an interesting place. I think Decon was a testing ground for both orchestra work and guest roles into what he seems to be enjoying the most these days for writing more beyond guitars and playing less.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I've really, really loved Anneke, but am, too. I used to listen to The Gathering a lot, as well, but find myself always skipping anything that comes on in my mix. Can't say why exactly. I'm glad Devin worked with her as he did. I think she's a lovely person.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

quote:

So the intention that I have when I’m writing that stuff is certainly not to try and convince 15-year-old girls that some 42-year-old guy with poo poo teeth is their new hero.

I love Devin.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

jonathan posted:

Are there any songs that have fart noises other than deconstruction ?

Ziltoidian Empire kind of does, and Wandering Eye from Z2. :allears:

henpod posted:

I'm still a bit annoyed that I booked on the day and got lovely seats up in the nosebleeds - me and my friends can't even sit together and tickets keep going on sale :(

I was listening to Casualties today, and even though I like his heavy stuff, especially SYL the album is just pure quality. You can tell how much he enjoyed making it, whereas you can tell his heart wasn't 100% in Sky Blue and Z2. Listening to casualties with good in-ear earphones you hear so many little touches. Echoes, guitar twangs, little electronic glitches. Its awesome.

Yes! That's the thing that put it so high for me. As mentioned by Agreed, he makes such dense mixing. On it's on with just guitars and vocals it might not have been too much to keep my attention, but the atmosphere created by all those little things made it so intriguing. It makes imagery of a desolate moonscape and the story for the album really seem felt through the music and sounds.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 6, 2015

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

During is "downtime" from leaving SYL and the scene for barely a year he pretty much came up with the DTP Quadrilogy albums and hinted how he was always writing even though on hiatus. Those 4 albums came from his not knowing how to group the different moods and styles at first. I think he just really needs to be able to write what he wants according to how he feels at the time. The Label and Fan pressures that make him do music his heart isn't in to is what gets to him.

I mentioned before how he seems geared more towards writing now and especially large productions with orchestra and choir with how Decon, some of CoC and Z2 went. So if he can do what he loves without major distraction or influence towards what he doesn't want I imagine he'll be doing exactly what he loves.

I'd love to see him go the way of Danny Elfman and have his music find it's way into soundtracks and what not. His stage presence is so amazing, but the last few shows I saw seemed to indicate he really doesn't care for it much anymore. Or at least he needs longer breaks between tours/major shows.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Had the same experience with Dark Matters and pretty much just listen to the dialogue version now.
Enjoy the show! Seriously jealous.
Just saw Dev said there will be no stream this time, but looks like there will be a Blu Ray, though.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Devin did a practice show he said would be the full set.
This popped up (spoilered for those who don't want to know the set).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFQLMQh_zLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srSOma43Fgs

Incredibly excited for the full performance, especially the 2nd one.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

It kind of sounded like Casualties of Cool was the only thing he's been interested in doing and the rest have been things he's felt obligated to do. Like, Sky Blue was just closer to what he felt like making during the Z² process. They're all amazing and Dev no doubt puts his all in to them, but it seems he's under, or puts himself under constraints to please labels and fans. He's also crazy humble, too, so he seems to down play so much of what he's done.

It looks like the same 4 who did choir vocals in the By a Thread Deconstruction concert are in the RAH show?

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Deadhead from the RAH show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDM6V08wcE

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Devin did a live thing on Twitch.tv and made a new song in a couple of hours.
https://www.twitch.tv/toontrack/v/26647142?t=1h29m

Here's the song itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_okOqKNUUIg

Edit:
The time stamp isn't working for me, but it begins at 1h 29m.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I love the solo, though it's way too short. That tone and style is what hooked me on Dev when I first heard Terria and saw the Safe Zone DVD. I've missed it since most things since then have been the same arpeggio sweeps and wanks he mocks himself for. He has a lot of feel in some of his solos in A.E and Terria.

• Locked thread