Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

henpod posted:

The reason why I think he is so awesome is his range and versatility (both vocally and musically) and how much of a dork he is and how much he embraces that aspect of his personality.

That is what I love most about him. To quote him from his European Tour download album: "You know what? Just be who you are, don't be afraid to be a fuckin' cheeseball, baby. And then continue to loving CRUSH IT!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The production on Physicist is fine, I think it's just a little aged.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
It's one of my least favorite too, but I hate to say that because there is still stuff I enjoy. Kingdom is good, and love the last part of the album, starting with Irish Maiden, which I adore.

Terria is another least favorite simply because it's just a little too soft for me, but then again, Earth Day is loving epic and redeems the entire album for me.

Edit: If I ever made a Devin Townsend megathread, I'd have to make the thread title be "And music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks."

Revol fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 13, 2012

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

sicDaniel posted:

This October might just be the best month ever. Seeing Devin in Hamburg and, three weeks later, Meshuggah will be there.

Meanwhile, in Florida, we get loving nothing. gently caress you. gently caress all of you. :(

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I saw him last week and someone shouted for Wrong Side in between songs and he said something to the effect of "I love Strapping, but I don't want to do that anymore! I wanna do this now!"

Really? That's the song you call out for?!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

teen bear posted:

Looks like he's got a new website up:
http://www.devintownsend.com/

Nothing much new up there but it's fun to look at

Holy poo poo, this kicks rear end. Fuckin' love the loading screen.

I really like the Discography page (click the rock at the bottom with the word 'Let's' on it).

Also, there's a dedicated spot for 'band members'. I always thought the Devin Townsend Project was a temporary thing for a set number of albums. (Thought it was gonna be four, but then it got extended for Epicloud and Casualties of Cool.) Is this band going to do Z2 too?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Clustard posted:

But I have a question. Which album has songs similar to this? Like that kind of ambient wall of noise music in that video. Basically what I'm asking is an album recommendation.

Deadhead is off of Accelerated Evolution, probably his most accessible album. After that, I would suggest Synchestra, and then Addicted.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I skip Ih-Ah every single time. I simply do not like that song.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Hammer Floyd posted:

I didn't know it was possible to hate Ih-Ah.

I just find it incredibly boring.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Schizotek posted:

A good metal show in Florida? The world really is ending in December.

Finally, it's been far too long.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
ARRG! I can't believe I forgot the livestream! Is there a recorded version available to buy?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

sicDaniel posted:

Reading about that amazing Retinal Circus gig almost makes me sad that Devin only played 11 songs in Hamburg yesterday. No dancers, no choirs, no Anneke. Still one of the best gigs I've ever seen, amazing setlist, I hope there is a proper concert in Germany in the near future.
Now I wait for Meshuggah. Three weeks. gently caress yeah.

Aw, you poor thing, with your Devin and Meshuggah shows in the span of less than a month. I've yet to see Meshuggah. :(

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Kingdom on Epicloud is the best studio recording he has done in a really long time. It takes an already great song and makes it so much more powerful.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shankel Magnus posted:

I've been on a big Devin kick lately. I've got Deconstruct, Addicted, Ziltoid, and Epicloud. What should I pick up next?

My favorite albums, along with Deconstruction, are Synchestra and Accelerated Evolution, along with SYL's Alien, and then City.

Minto Took posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPPM977NfXQ

Arguably, the best song he's ever written.

And it's the song Devin admits to having his worst solo.

I'd easily put Deadhead and Pixillate over Life any day.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

RDreamer posted:

I tend to think AE is the best starting point album for him, though.

I believe this is one of the few points that cannot be open for debate.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

The Jenk posted:

Incase any London Goons missed it, Dev's just announced a show in May with Meshuggah and Periphery :)

Next Monday I'm seeing Devin Townsend (with Gojira), and then the Monday after that is Meshuggah. Only my second time seeing Devin (Alien tour), and first with Meshuggah.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Kept putting off my trip report from St. Pete.

SETLIST

Truth - Hallelujah!
Supercrush - One of my favorites from Addicted. He played part of the song while wearing a fez he got from someone in the crowd.
More - I never cared for this song, always skipped it, but holy poo poo, it's loving awesome live.
Planet of the Apes - Whoa! Wasn't expecting this. One of my favorites from Deconstruction. I'd prefer the title track of Masturbator.
Lucky Animals - It ain't a metal show until the audience is doing jazz hands. I love that Devin was berating the metalheads who were out to see Gojira to do it. He got one guy to do it.
Julaar - A no brainer, really.
Grace - I wouldn't have expected it, but I dig it, because I love this song. It works well live.

Yeah, very surprised with the absence of Kingdom. I may have become overplayed in the last few years, perhaps. But this is my first time seeing Devin solo. Previous time was SYL's Alien tour. Compared to then, DTP sounded fantastic on Monday. The Alien show was great, but the mix didn't sound all that great. It was perfect this time.

I didn't stick around to see Gojira. I work early mornings, and I'm not 'into' them.

The opening band was surprisingly decent. The vocals sucked, but the rest come out well.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
He said he'd like to revisit more Physicist songs like he did with Kingdom. Is there any word which songs he'd do? I really hope he gives Irish Maiden another shot.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Jesus, that is absolutely beautiful. Gives me a whole new appreciation of that song.

He played Grace when I saw him in Tampa Bay, and I had the exact same reaction. Granted, while I can't watch the video from work, I'm assuming it had a much larger production than the show I saw.

Same goes for More! too.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat :what:

That is totes banaynay. Is this supposed to be an Internet TV show?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

henpod posted:

I'm also happy to hear the mixing is clear. I was really disappointed in how the live Deconstruction album sounded so muddy.

I totally agree. It's muddy, and there is distortion noise or something, too. The recording of Pixillate is pretty disappointing, too, which was something I really was looking forward to.

henpod posted:

Also, I know i'm in the vast minority here, but he needs to lay off the Anneke. I love his vocals so much while hers sound so..childlike and overly 'sweet'. Dunno, I know people have a lot of love for her but I just find that she is used a little too much.

I totally disagree. Not that I expect her to be regular contributor. But I do really enjoy her.

Revol fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 26, 2013

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I was listening to Planet of the Apes when I drove into a gas station. It was nearing the best part of the album when I got out of the car to get the gas. I continued to sing the song in my head. Without realizing it, I sang out loud the last verse to the section I was listening to.

"I've got a little boneeerr"

I was lucky, nobody was around me to hear what I just said. Remember, kids; practice caution when singing Devin Townsend lyrics in public.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Synchestra is Devin's best sounding album. Discuss.

Synchestra is certainly one of his best albums. It is one of my favorites. The production is near perfect (I don't know what real perfection would sound like?), and it gave me Pixillate, which instantly became one of my all-time favorite songs.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Seriously. Probably the most fun I've ever had listening to a radio show. I was a little skeptical of the idea when I first heard about it, but that's all gone now. It was also a perfect soundtrack for Saint's Row 4.

You're right, this is perfect for open world games, and especially fitting for the humor of Saint's Row.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

henpod posted:

Devin just linked up a whole bunch of unreleased stuff on Twitter.

A lot of it actually has been released, as extras in the Contain Us boxset.

Dinosaurs is a cool song.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

spookygonk posted:

When's the next Ziltoid podcast out?

In two weeks.

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/414580345267179520

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I don't really like The New Black. I expected too much from it. It is a Devin album masquerading as an SYL album. But at least he was honest about it: "We're doing it for the baby!"

Chocobo posted:

I finally got around to listening to Accelerated Evolution, and its pretty neat. Even the songs I don't like overall have some incredible riffs that make them worth a listen, and Deadhead seems to be the standout track of the lot. Is it fair to say that this album is the closest thing to Ocean Machine that Devin has put out?

AE was one of my first introductions to Devin's music, and it remains as one of my favorite albums. Deadhead is epic, and Sunday Afternoon has inspired me on several occasions.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Imperial->Skeksis->Shitstorm is godly. I know City is considered the landmark but for me, Alien is the best.

Agreed. City is special, but Alien usually gets more plays. That trilogy of opening tracks cannot be beat.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I've had an mp3 copy of this video on my phone for over a year, because I friggin' cream over that Deconstruction jam.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Varg posted:

I bought a new unplugged Devy CD the other day, they still got 239 left!

https://www.facebook.com/dvntownsend/app_352907568132126

Well, the album itself isn't "new", it was released in 2011...

http://www.amazon.com/Unplugged-Devin-Townsend/dp/B006Z1XKD2

I found the track list to be pretty underwhelming. Funeral was cool. But am I the only guys who loving hates In-Ah? I always, always, always skip over it.

henpod posted:

He is doing a Ziltoid show at none other than the Royal Albert Hall here in London. Nothing will keep me from going to that. It's great that he does all the special stuff here - The four albums in By a Thread followed by the premier at the little cinema, The Retinal Circus, Casualties of Cool in Sep and now this. Love it.

But... why? Why does everything happen in London? This isn't jealousy talking. I'm in loving central Florida, nothing special would happen here, and it's not like I can go to New York or Toronto. I just don't understand. He's Canadian, he hangs out in Vancouver, he could play Toronto, or a major American city. Why does he keep going over the Atlantic?

And you'll notice, those Unplugged albums are shipping from the UK too...

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

quote:

Animals as Leaders, the Devin Townsend Project + Monuments 2014 North American Tour:

11/17 @ Studio Seven – Seattle, Wash.
11/18 @ Commodore Ballroom – Vancouver, British Columbia
11/19 @ Level Nightclub – Kelowna, British Columbia
11/21 @ Union Hall – Edmonton, Alberta
11/22 @ The Gateway – Calgary, Alberta
11/23 @ O’Brians Event Centre – Saskatoon, Sasketchewan
11/24 @ The Garrick Centre – Winnipeg, Manitoba
11/25 @ First Avenue – Minneapolis, Minn.
11/26 @ Metro – Chicago, Ill.
11/28 @ St. Andrews Hall – Detroit, Mich.
11/29 @ House Of Blues – Cleveland, Ohio
11/30 @ Phoenix Concert Theatre – Toronto, Ontario
12/01 @ Club Soda – Montreal, Quebec
12/03 @ Rams Head Live – Baltimore, Md.
12/04 @ Trocadero – Philadelphia, Pa.
12/05 @ The Palladium – Worcester, Mass.
12/06 @ Webster Hall – New York, N.Y.
12/08 @ Center Stage – Atlanta, Ga.
12/10 @ Backstage Live – San Antonio, Texas
12/11 @ Gas Monkey Bar N Grill – Dallas, Texas
12/13 @ Gothic Theatre – Englewood, Colo.
12/14 @ Sunshine Theater – Albuquerque, N.M.
12/15 @ The Nile Theatre – Mesa, Ariz.
12/16 @ The Mayan – Los Angeles, Calif.
12/17 @ The Regency Ballroom – San Francisco, Calif.

I think I need to go to the Atlanta show. I live in Tampa, and I have never been outside of the state of Florida before.

If you don't know them, Animals as Leaders are loving excellent.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

The Kins posted:

He also named another guest vocalist on Z2 that I haven't seen mentioned before: Chris Jericho as "Captain Spectacular".

I think this works well on many levels. He knows how to ham it up. Plus, he could look the part if there were ever a need to.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Also, the Digipak version of the album of Dark Matters "without dialogue and a different assembly", which sounds neat.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'd disagree with that. Devin stuff at least feels like it's got some vague point to it. Mr. Bungle and other stuff sometimes just chaotically wanders all over the place without any real form or structure. Devin usually has some sort of "theme" in his songs that brings it all together.

You might need to research the music to figure it out, though. You take a listen to Deconstruction and you might be rubbing your head. But Devin put out a commentary for it, explaining how it's all one entire story.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
@dvntownsend: Apparently z2 has leaked, which is fine..but just fyi if 'Fallout' has me singing the verse, it's the OLD mix and master. Real one is better

@dvntownsend: ...and thats really my only concern :)

Listening to it... now.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
On the last track of Sky Blue, this album doesn't do anything for me on first listen. But, this happens a lot for me.

@dvntownsend: Thanks guys...honestly don't really care about leaks. Just care that its the right version people ingest.

@dvntownsend: When the right version leaks, let me know and I'll back that one. =)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

axleblaze posted:

Man, Sky Blue is just doing NOTHING for me :(

It's all just sort of blending together.

I suspect it is the mix. Or at least, I hope so. It does seem like the vocals are getting lost, on both tracks.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm starting to understand the albums now that I've got the proper mix. With Dark Matters, I think you need to abandon your expectations of getting an album like the original Ziltoid. It has a lot more of a focus on the radio story show than I had expected, but it is great at being that.

Sky Blue is really starting to come together for me. Half of the tracks are starting to become special. That said... I don't understand it's meaning. Why is this a Ziltoid album? Why isn't Dark Matters "Z2" and Sky Blue its own release?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Manuel Calavera posted:

What about The Mighty Masturbator off of Deconstruction? To over the top? Not over the top enough? Insufficient lovely 90s rave moments?

Deconstruction is my favorite Devin album, and a lot of it has to do with The Mighty Masturbator. The "rave" is one of my favorite moments in Dev's music catalog.

I have a dream to do a Halloween costume or cosplay based on the song. I imagine the Mighty Masturbator as being a superhero. White outfit, with an "MM" chest emblem. Maybe a red or blue cape over one shoulder, ala Shazam. Attached to my belt would be a bottle of Vasaline and a tissue dispenser. My left arm would be incredibly muscular compared to the rest of my body.

I want to do this so badly, but I have absolutely no reason to.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

jonathan posted:

Is Deconstruction a concept album ? I watched a guitar clinic where he said that it's an over the top complex album that makes fun of ovr the top complex albums (Like that new dreamtheater album.) He also said that it's about a plague that is spread by farts.

Ok, so the title song has lots of toilet harmonics, but I'm failing to see where Planet of the Apes fits in with Deconstruction, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boRo1ISss3Q

You should listen to the commentary of the album (music included), if you like this album you'll find it interesting.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Aw, gently caress, I didn't realize he's sharing the headline again? This happened on the last tour, when I saw him in St. Pete, I left early because Gojira was the headline. I love Animals As Leaders (already saw them one with Meshuggah), but I really want that Devin headline.

Just found this link, it notes each date that DTP headlines. Which includes Atlanta. Booyah! Driving up from Tampa, took Monday and Tuesday off, booked hotel for Monday night, let's do this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
There are too many songs that I would want to see played live. I need to teach myself to just lose myself and enjoy what comes. Besides, sometimes a live show reintroduces you to a song. I got a lot more out of Grace and, to a lesser extent, More, after last year's show.

• Locked thread