Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The pre-order for the physical versions of Epicloud are up over at Devin's store, along with the usual t-shirts and stuff.

There's also the final track listing:
1. Effervescent!
2. True North
3. Lucky Animals
4. Liberation
5. Where We Belong
6. Save Our Now
7. Kingdom
8. Divine
9. Grace
10. More!
11. Lessons
12. Hold On
13. Angel

And the contents of the second disc in the Digipack version:
1. Believe (Demo)
2. Happy Birthday (Demo)
3. Quietus (Demo)
4. Heatwave (Demo)
5. Love Tonight (Demo)
6. The Mind WASP (Demo)
7. Woah No! (Demo)
8. Love and Marriage (Demo)
9. Socialization (Demo)
10. Little Pig (Demo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

slogsdon posted:

E: Is Z² next?
Next one is apparently "Casualties of Cool" with Che the Ki vocalist. From way back in February:

Devin posted:

I found as a reaction to the complications of decon and the sheer bulk of work thats been going on (seriously, it’s insane) my writing ended up going in 3 ways recently:

1) A very commercial sounding (for the most part) but beautiful and melencholic album full of easy to digest dev songs…Epicloud. I don’t know why it came out, but it did, so I’m going to get it out of my system

2) Casualties of Cool: a duo with myself and Che (ki)… it sounds like haunted Johnny cash songs. late night music, completely isolated sounding and different than anything I’ve done. Che sings most of the leads, and it’s probably the truest reflection of who I am in life at this point. Trying to release it in tandem with Epicloud.

3) Z2 epic epic epic, complicated, musical, sci-fi, immense expense, the goal of it all I suppose.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And Devin has released his most eagerly anticipated piece of "music" this year. A collaboration with Fear Factory titled "The First Movement", for reasons that should rapidly become obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZfhrFzG5OI

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Devin leaked some things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3vLMBmdQNk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iisYHRcSPCY

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Devin announced his planned release dates for his next things on the Twooter:

Casualties of Cool: April
Z2: End of 2014
Previously-Unannounced Album of Guitar-and-Flute-only Relaxation Music With Kat Epple: Sometime next year on the side.

Prolific little bugger, ain't he?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rusty Kettle posted:

Oh boy! Devin is having all sorts of issues on the latest Ziltoid radio episode. How many more episodes do you think he'll do before bowing out?
He's been complaining about this one on Twitter for a while. He had to make it on his laptop in a hotel in Japan with an older version of Pro Tools that didn't read his session file. He called it the "budget episode" and promises business as usual next time. We'll see!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's some news from Dev's Facebook!

He wants to release Casualties independently, so soon he's gonna launch a three month long crowdfunding campaign on PledgeMusic to cover the costs of album packaging, a promo video... that sorta thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Devin's been a-tweeting, and frankly he seems pretty overwhelmed by the support. He's pledged to give some of the surplus money to three animal shelters in New York, and is toying with the idea of giving backers the chance to contribute to Z2 gang vox... which would be weird.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Devin leaked out Z2's tenative tracklist on Facebook. The "theme" of the album is "Ziltoid vs. the DTP", with both sides getting their own disc. (Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it's a double album.)

quote:

Ziltoid:
Z2
Ziltoidian Overture
From Sleep Awake
Deathray
War Princess
March Of The Poozers
Silent Militia
EARTH
Ziltoid Goes Home
Dimension Z

DTP:
Rejoice
Fallout
Warrior Way
Midnight Sun
Loud
-untitled-
-Untitled-
Offer Your Light
Rain City
Farther On

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

slogsdon posted:

Didn't Devin take a pretty long hiatus after Ziltoid? I imagine the same thing will happen this time as well.
He just mentioned during one of his typical long strings of tweets that he's probably going to take a year off after the stage show to recharge his batteries.

He also named another guest vocalist on Z2 that I haven't seen mentioned before: Chris Jericho as "Captain Spectacular".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From here, via Metalsucks: the packaging!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

and he does it while dealing with bipolar disorder, a condition I've seen affect people in such a way that holding down a part-time job is difficult to them (which is totally understandable).
He mentioned in a Z2 interview a while back that his bipolar symptoms seemed to fade away once he quit drinking and taking drugs, so now he's not entirely sure whether it was a shrooms/acid-induced misdiagnosis or not.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a huge three-part interview with Devin that was gradually released this month.

Part one and two are more or less him trying to verbalize his thoughts on where he's at in his career and his conflict on what he wants to do, but part three... Part three is about The Devin Song That Will Never Be Released, Ever.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From Dev's tweeter, following up on that autobiography/personal philosophy book thing he was planning out last May:

quote:

Editing an autobiography is a hell of a thing... Zzzzzzzz

Ugh...gawd...typing makes me dizzy. Same with thinking about the past. Luckily this book isn't some Mötley Crüe dirt type thing.

I always draw a blank when people ask for 'crazy stories' ... One time...in band camp...

My point is more that I have a clear objective in life and music. Always have. I'm not here to party, you know?

Though apparently in looking back I've had my rear end and balls all over almost every situation that required tact. Classy.

there's a big difference between 'I snorted thumbtacks off a hookers rear end' vs 'once I got some weed and was sort of convinced I was a frog'..

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rusty Kettle posted:

He actually said how much he makes in a recent podcast about the music industry. I don't remember the number, but you are 100% correct. He is makes what I would expect a software engineer or maybe engineering management to make. It is a decent income to raise a family on and to pay off the mortgage, but he won't be driving Ferraris anytime soon.
$5k a month, before taxes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Remember when Dev said he was writing a book? It's been announced!

It's called Only Half There, and it comes with some previously-unseen photos and a CD of new recordings called Iceland. There's also a limited-to-300 "Signature Edition" that's signed, stuffed in a big fancy box, and also includes a cassette tape of unreleased demos called Ancient and some prints of Dev's cartoon doodles.

The site has pre-order links and a sample of the Iceland version of Let It Roll.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And some words:

The PR posted:

“Transcendence, like every record I’ve done prior, is an extension of what’s been going on in my world, represented in a new batch of songs. I’m 44 years old now, and this is where I have been over the past two years since Z2.”

The follow-up to 2014’s ‘Z2’ double-album (half of which was made up of the DTP full-length ‘Sky Blue’), sees the award-winning Townsend exploring a relatively new way of working, collaborating with the entire DTP band during the writing stages of the record.

“The result of this process is a record that I truly think the intention of is special. I ‘found’ gas to put into the tank and am glad I did. I think the intention, the theme, and the participation of everyone involved allows this album to act like a fulcrum between the past few years and what I intend to do next with the symphony. I am very proud of it and everyone involved.”

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Stoat posted:

Every day is Earth Day in the Devin thread.

Speaking of which, almost time for a new thread. Title suggestions if you please!
The Devin Townsend Megathread - It's just entertainment, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This was just posted on Devvy's Facebook page, further confirming that he doesn't know what rest is.

• Locked thread