Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

:drat: I cannot wait for this album!

I'm presuming that the overprocessed sound will not be nearly as jarring when not through youtube's compression. I find he tends to balance the overprocessed sound with cramming so much detail in the mix - it just works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

It reminds me of Synchestra most of all, with splatterings of Addiced!. Given they're two of my favourite records by him, I'm totes ok with that.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Don't forget to set it to 720p quality for proper stereo goodness :)

This is a fantastic idea, Devin is the best :h: Everyone knows it'll leak shortly and people will download it to 'check it out' - if they're real fans, they'll enjoy hearing Devy give commentary so this works perfectly.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Mask guy loving owns

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

It really does take a song like that for him to really let his voice off the leash and show it for what it can be. He's acutally quite refrained in normal songs.

See also: Steve Vai - Sex & Religion (watch in 720p, it benefits from it)

When Devy did that scream at the end, he passed out in the recording booth. The track keeps some of his babbling as he comes back to.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

She's been a pretty heavy contributor for 2 albums now but tbh she's one of my favourite female voices in metal so I don't mind that one bit.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I had City for like 2 or 3 years before I finally 'got' it. I was laying in bed one night, completely pitch black and with nothing but headphones for stimulus, and it was only then that my brain was able to process the amount of depth and layers upon layers upon layers that is All Hail the New Flesh. Before that point, I was kinda turned off by it because it was just too 'wall of sound' but once I listened to it like that, it all clicked and it is now one of my most treasured metal albums.

It's loving phenominal, listen to it.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Holy christ that album is going to rock. Hopefully it'll ilicit some heavier DTP stuff because heavy DTP stuff slays.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Addicted, Synchestra, Epicloud. They're the 3 most accessable.

From there, go wherever your heart takes you. It's all good.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Those On My Left posted:

No way is Synchestra among the most accessible.

Eh, it's what got me in to him and made me revisit the SYL I'd previously glossed over. It's pretty all-over-the-place (e.g.: Babysong vs Gaia vs Vampira) but all of those styles weren't overwhelming like other albums of his were to me at the time.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

yo look what just appeared

edit: where do I get that background at the start it's amazing

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 17, 2014

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

jonathan posted:

https://imgur.com/uN1Q7kE

From the YT comments... who would have thought!

I looked through the comments when it was still showing "301+ views" and it was all just "OMG IM GUSHING" style responses and coffee memes.

Thanks!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

What reward was that?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Addicted and Epicloud own you take that back. I also really like Synchestra so I guess I like manic-devy

e: I've been binging on devy this evening. I don't think you can say any of those albums are more over-the-top production-wise than, say, Bad Devil or the original Kingdom. He's always been like that, really - it's just that his increased cashflow has allowed him to make it clearer, rather than jam-packed together as much.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 28, 2014

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

So my evening was pretty cool. That's some random crowd member on the guitar by the way.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I don't play guitar, so going to the guitar clinic was a last minute snap decision. I figured he might just stand around and chat and not play as much guitar and I was so glad I was right because honestly him as a person is the more interesting thing to me.

I really enjoyed the event and it was super interesting to just sit there and listen to his view on things.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

He said in his guitar clinic tour recently that this album represented perseverance to him in that his drive to finish it came from the fact that he's started it and wanted to just see it end.

I think you could reasonably take that to mean that he felt it needed to exist as an end product but didn't particularly feel like he wanted to go through the creation process.

E: then again, Ki to him represents (in his words) being sober and being pissed off about not getting laid, but not too pissed off cause the kids are sleeping. So take that however you wish.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 19, 2014

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Tomarse posted:

I was stood right in the middle of the arena and it sounded perfect. I didn't have earplugs in. It was so loud I could feel it but still sounded really clear and I could hear everything and it didn't hurt my ears or make me want to put my earplugs in. It sounded as perfect as I hoped that DTP at the Royal Albert hall should!

It was still probably hearing-damage volume anyway. Also, ask me about keeping kids off my lawn.

Seriously though, if you get passingly decent earplugs they won't reduce the sound quality anyway.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I went to something similar in Brisbane where he had his electrics and basically did a guitar class / discussion forum. It was fascinating and I loved it, even though I went by myself. Definitely worth seeing.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Yeh he said when he did the guitar clinic here last year that he just had to put it out because he had promised it and so he had to see it to completion. It really wasn't something he actually wanted to do by the sounds of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Yeh the Death of Music performance from his Australia tour last month was phenomenal and certainly one of the most memorable parts of the show.

• Locked thread