Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

:siren: PRE-ORDER EPICLOUD RIGHT NOW DON'T WAIT DON'T EVEN THINK :siren:

Who?
Devin Townsend has, over his 15 year career, released fourteen albums that have ranged from extreme metal (Strapping Young Lad releases, Deconstruction) to relaxed chillout (Ghost) and up-beat poppy rock metal (Addicted!, some tracks from Infinity and Accelerated Evolution). However he's probably best known for his 'wall of sound' progressive metal, which makes up arguably the bulk of his material (Accelerated Evolution, Physicist, Infinity, Ocean Machine, Synchestra, Addicted! etc.)

The Devin Townsend Project
In 2006 Devin dissolved both his extreme metal band Strapping Young Lad and his progressive metal band The Devin Townsend Band, and told everyone to go away because he was tired of it all. But then he decided to release four albums because gently caress you, that's why.

Ki (2009) - A relatively quiet album for Devin, with lots of odd complexities and weird sounds going on. I love this album, it's very rewarding if you listen to it multiple times. The female vocalist 'Che' will be on Devin's upcoming album Casualties of Cool

Addicted! (2009) - Devin admitted two musical guilty pleasures before releasing this album - Enya and Eurobeat pop. This album has hints of both. Driving drums and multilayered female vocals to be precise. Not that it's devoid of crushing guitars. This is my favourite of the Devin Townsend Project albums (so far) and probably the most accessible. Contains a redone and vastly improved version of 'Hyperdrive' from the Ziltoid album.

Deconstruction & Ghost (2011) - These two albums came out together and could not be more different. Deconstruction is Devin's return to his extreme metal roots, with screaming and yelling and... circus music all over the place. It's an incredibly complicated listen and demands effort from fans to really get into it, but it's worth it.

Ghost is a new-age chill out album. Yes, you read that right. It's got flutes and acoustic guitars and humming all over it. It was Devin's way of letting off steam after the batshit insanity of Deconstruction.

Upcoming Releases
Epicloud (Due September 24th) has 'new agey stuff, jazzy stuff, really heavy stuff', loads of choirs and orchestrations, and the wonderful vocals of Anneke (who was on Addicted!) In one interview Dev called it 'A very commercial sounding (for the most part) but beautiful and melencholic album full of easy to digest dev songs…Epicloud. I don’t know why it came out, but it did, so I’m going to get it out of my system'

Effervescent is a sample from Epicloud. It has a feel good cheesy choir and Ziltoid. What more could you want?

Casualties of Cool (Due ??? Metalstorm has it as December) is 'a duo with myself and Che (ki)… it sounds like haunted Johnny cash songs. late night music, completely isolated sounding and different than anything I’ve done. Che sings most of the leads, and it’s probably the truest reflection of who I am in life at this point. Trying to release it in tandem with Epicloud.'

Cool Stuff From The Thread
1. This is a chart that shows every single reference from one Devin song to another. Devin fans need new hobbies.

Potential Thread Discussion Points
1. Will Devin ever be as powerful as he was with the skullet?
2. What foodstuff will Ziltoid be after in Z2?
3. Who can write the best Anneke/Devin/Ziltoid fanfiction?

tote up a bags fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Devin's production goes from great to bad for me. For example I thought Addicted! was pretty decent until I heard the demos, which had much better production. I feel like the best production work he ever did was Accelerated Evolution. It was the one time the balance between 'what the gently caress is going on' and 'oh my god so much noise' worked.

That Soilwork album is totally loving horrible though. Oh god Devin what were you thinking.

Also I updated the OP a bit! :toot:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Here's Devin dancing along to the whole song he's a great dancer

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Save Our Now and Kingdom are stunning. Oh god just perfect. The production is really similar to Addicted which honestly is ideal.

Anneke's even better which I didn't think was possible.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

There's definite echoes of the four last albums (except maybe Ki, sadly) in there. The verse vocals on 'Save Our Now' remind me of Ghost, for example. It's a pretty great album. There's even some metalcore (or melodeath I don't know) guitar work at the end of More! that surprised me when I first heard them, but they work really well and is evidence of the guy's ability to bring a bunch of different sounds together.

Also on the final part of Liberated 'when it's time to forget all ABOOT you' had me grinning. I'm glad the wacky poo poo took more of a backseat this time, I felt it got in the way on Deconstruction a bit.

Causalities Of Cool sounds like it might well be Ki Pt. 2, so once that's here I will be truly happy. Great album.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I dunno about you guys but I'd kill for an Addicted/Epicloud versions of Far Beyond Metal, Underneath The Waves, Love? and so on.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Olibu posted:

I honestly hope not. I don't think he'd be able to pull off a very fitting sequel to Ziltoid unless he locks himself up for a few months and does it all on his own again.

I'd be cool with that as long as he gets real drums this time. That was the real downside of Ziltoid 1.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Drunk Canuck posted:

Gentlemen, stop what you're doing and watch the finally released FAN-CONTENT music video for Lucky Animals!
http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/devin-townsend-lucky-animals-video-premiere/

It's everything I expected. Minus the furries, did not cross my mind that they'd latch on but alas.

Holy poo poo I'm like the most normal Devin fan in the world?!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

It's a Deconstruction bonus track

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Ocean Machine. I still maintain it's his most consistent release.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Chocobo posted:

Where does a guy start with SYL? I've skimmed a couple of albums and just haven't been able to get into it. Anyone care to recommend their top couple of SYL song picks?

I think City is a masterpiece but a lot of people might suggest the S/T. Either one is really good.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Kaboobi posted:

Anneke is confirmed to be back for the DTP parts :allears:

*Slides thousands of charts calculating album of the year 2014 off the desk*

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I just listened to it. It's GhostKi and it's really nice!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

gently caress it go with Deconstruction, The Hummer and Ghost.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

"There's so many loving women! And in metal terms, that means SIX!"

Devin :swoon:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Not clear if this is the album art or not but HYPE HYPE HYPE

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Also for any Anneke fans, she is doing an album with Arjen Lucassen of Ayreon fame called The Gentle Storm.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

henpod posted:

Devin is definitely way more structured than Mr. Bungle.

Anyway, first review of Z2 is out. The guy loved it, but the review itself is pretty crap.

http://damnationmag.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/album-review-devin-townsend-project-z2/

God this guy's writing style. Glad it's solid though. I hope Sky Blue is closer to Addicted! or the old Devin stuff like Synchestra - Epicloud was good but I felt it relied too much on walls of synth and vocals and kinda lost the guitar work.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

CHRIIIISTTTTT

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Deathray Lyric Video

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Won't he just become a producer? Must be countless bands who'd kill for him to work on their stuff.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I think between Sky Blue and Epicloud there's one INSANELY strong album. Sky Blue is better overall I think.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Defiant Sally posted:

I like Epicloud/er and I also love Sky Blue. You won't be disappointed.

On the other hand, I don't like Z2 at all, but I will probably enjoy the version with the dialogue stripped.

Stop posting like a poozer

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I really dig Rejoice, for me the weakest is A New Reign which is kinda boring and The Ones Who Love which is garbage

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

AzureSkys posted:

Me too. The first time I heard it I sat in stunned silence afterwards for a good while. There are no other songs out there as chaotic and huge that also include xylophones.

The riff that kicks in for the last minute punches me in the gut even now.

God that album came out 9 years ago.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

TheMirage posted:

The song "Fallout" is a God damned masterpiece.

Absolutely agreed, it's the standout over both CDs.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you judged the album listening to the badly mixed leak, I implore you to listen to the proper version. Definitely changed my opinion of the album.

That different? I was digging the whole thing anyway.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The only dialogue I really liked was "the pain of losing his brother pieced his cold heart" followed by ziltoid saying "ah so lame"

That made me smile, the rest I could give or take.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Chocobo posted:

I'd be curious to hear a mashup of the two.

Your wish is my command (I didn't make this)

edit: I way prefer the Devin version of Fallout, and I am the biggest Anneke fanboy ever.

tote up a bags fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 28, 2014

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

For me Sky Blue is the cumulation of Ki, Ghost, Addicted!, Epicloud and to a lesser extent Deconstruction. I'm a huge dev fan and even I have to admit I was worried he was just out of ideas after Epicloud but then he drops his best album in years. Oh Dev :swoon:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Let's clamour for Sky Blue 2 for 7 years!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Varg posted:

So let's talk about how Sky Blue hasn't left the CD drive in my laptop since I put it there. Literally listened to half of Dark Matters and then left to go do something, swapped discs later and haven't finished DM yet. This poo poo is beyond brilliant, I can't even begin to have expectations for anything he does anymore because it all just blows me away

I wonder which he prefers. Because Ziltoid 2 to me comes across as something he feels he had to do and Sky Blue is the album he's been trying to make for years.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'd totally dig an album where Anneke, Dominique Lenore Persi & Ché Aimee Dorval sang that Devin wrote.

Holy poo poo a covers album with the three of them doing tracks from DTP. Now I'm sad it'll never happen. :(

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Anneke news: Her project with Arjen Luccassen has released a track (and a "calm version")

It's very typical both of them mixed together. I dig the choirs.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Slur posted:

I was about to say, these guys aren't treading very much new ground here, are they?

Anneke has moved around a few genres on her solo stuff in the last few years, and I think DTP is her metal outlet, but Arjen has been making the same album for 15 years. I guess their styles are similar that the result just sounds like classic Arjen/Anneke.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Devin Townsend & Chad Kroeger - How You Vampira Me

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Eagerly awaiting some lovely poprock band to release a song and Devin to tweet "Oh there it is"

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Reposting my hope for a Devin album without him singing. His voice owns his real skill is hosting the best performances of other vocalists' careers.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

quote:

Townsend also spoke about the next project he is working on which will take up much of the remainder of the year. He said: "I'm writing a symphony, and I'm gonna record it in Belgium, in Surround Sound, with a visual counterpart. And it's gonna be a hybrid. It's gonna have a lot of instruments that are not typical for orchestral stuff. And it's gonna be a combination of everything. 'Cause typically in the past, I would do STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, or I'd do 'Ki', or 'Ghost', or something. But I wanna put it together. I wanna have something that goes between the extremes of beautiful — like really, really sublime and beautiful — to just total chaos, like hellish apocalypse. And I'd like to have a point to it that isn't a story. I'd like to have it to do with human things, emotions that I currently struggle with, 'cause I don't find myself emotionally very intelligent. So the things that happened in my life that forced me to learn it are also inspiring — loss or sadness or happiness or embarrassment, or any of these things. And so my plan is to make something that is massive in scope, but is not bombast totally.

From here. Hype!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Holy poo poo that's so clever.

• Locked thread