Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
torgeaux, I'm in Richmond pretty frequently, and northern Virginia somewhat less frequently, so maybe we can figure out a handoff that would save some time and money in the long run. I figure we can just play it by ear as we get closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I think this is a really cool idea. I'm in Thailand but not sure if I'll still be here when/if the camera reaches Japan. I'll be following the thread and see if I'll be able to join.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I'm in central NJ. I could feasibly make it to NYC but am closer to Philly.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'd love to be a part of this. I'm in Los Angeles, and travel around the US frequently, so if we get a pretty distinct list of people, I will probably be near one of them.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
I'm not actually picky when the camera shows up if you decide to have it sent my way. Here's a smattering of what it'll likely photograph depending on when it shows up.

Here are some samples of the things I would photograph

If you decide to send the camera to me here are what I will likely use it to photograph depending on the season.

Fall - Early Spring

Roller Derby (December - April)

Snow Shoeing (November - February)

Winter Offroading (November - March)

Spring - Fall

Street art projects around my city (Whenever the weather's nice)

Race Season (April - August)

Assorted Camping Trips (June - September)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I shot a roll in the camera yesterday (Thursday), and got the developed negatives back this afternoon and scanned them in. A little light editing in Lightroom, and we have our first "official" Camera Around the World photos. I'm going to call myself User #1, feel free to ignore or break this convention.

I just went with "my daily walk to and from school", to keep it simple. It's a reasonable slice of my world, since I walk past these things every day, Monday to Friday.
"Shopper's Drug Mart" brand 400 ISO film. Sorry about the dust, I guess I missed a few.

CAtW 1 Saskatoon 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

CAtW 1 Saskatoon 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

CAtW 1 Saskatoon 7 by Execudork, on Flickr

CAtW 1 Saskatoon 9 by Execudork, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It has begun!
It is now on its way to Awkward Davies

It cost more than I expected (a website lied to me? Why I never!), but whatever. I have no idea how long Canada Post "Expedited" parcel will take, but as a wild guess, late next week. Sitting on the Canada Post scale, it weighed 1.905 kg.

Also, I put a lock on the case, a little combination lock for luggage. The combo is 1-5-1 (letters-to-numbers from A-E-1); I'll edit the OP to include that. The lock is more to prevent casual tomfoolery than as a serious attempt to deter theft. For all I know customs will simply cut it off as soon as it crosses the border.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I'm still really excited, even more so now that it has begun the journey. Can we name the camera? First dumb idea I had was like 'AE1RIC'

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you guys are shipping from Canada to USA or USA to Canada, I would seriously suggest just going with USPS or Canada Post over UPS or FedEx unless you enjoy weird brokerage fees and poo poo like that. I have had nothing but headaches when FedEx or UPS deliver something to me which was sent from :911:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
A bit late and I didn't read on the other thread like I should have, buuut, I'm in!

This reminds me of the Nana's Global Adventure thing I participated in with a webcomics creator in Canada.

I'm in Houston, TX 77598 and we've got plenty of industrial stuff right next to gay cowboys eating pudding or something.

I'll be in Chicago early October if that's anything.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
OP - you can reach me at info@charlieroch.com when you need my shipping info. I'm happy to do a USA ->> International ship, too.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

squidflakes posted:

A bit late and I didn't read on the other thread like I should have, buuut, I'm in!

This reminds me of the Nana's Global Adventure thing I participated in with a webcomics creator in Canada.

I'm in Houston, TX 77598 and we've got plenty of industrial stuff right next to gay cowboys eating pudding or something.

I'll be in Chicago early October if that's anything.

I'm also in Houston (77054) and would be glad to join in, assuming that you all want to see my sterile antisocial street pictures. I need an excuse to start shooting film again.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Augmented Dickey posted:

I'm also in Houston (77054) and would be glad to join in, assuming that you all want to see my sterile antisocial street pictures. I need an excuse to start shooting film again.

Hey, you're the first HoustonGoon I've seen that isn't on the other drat side of the city.

May 18, 2009
i am in. I live in San Antonio 78232. I could meet up with any of the Houston Goons for a swap probably.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
That's three more Texas goons than I was expecting (78641)!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Wooh! Exciting. I'll keep an eye out for it (shipped it to my grad program to ensure it didn't get swiped off the street in from of my apt).

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yay! I get it second :D I'll try to get a really different feel from Awkward Davies, to showcase some of the variety here.

PoseidonGodOfTheSea
Oct 17, 2005

IF THIS WAS REAL POKER I WOULDN'T BE A DUMB A FAGGOT

Impact Damage posted:

That's three more Texas goons than I was expecting (78641)!

You can make that 4. Dallas goon (75075)!

Be prepared for fake cowboys, fake tans, and fake tits.

E: Also I'd be glad to meet any other Texans for a handoff. We can meet halfway at a scary roadside BBQ joint and document our inevitable rape and dismemberment.

PoseidonGodOfTheSea fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 7, 2012

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

PoseidonGodOfTheSea posted:

You can make that 4. Dallas goon (75075)!

Be prepared for fake cowboys, fake tans, and fake tits.

E: Also I'd be glad to meet any other Texans for a handoff. We can meet halfway at a scary roadside BBQ joint and document our inevitable rape and dismemberment.

:heysexy: how YOU doin?

75080, suckas.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
Let's all meet in Odessa! That way we are all on a level playing field of the last place we want to be!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'm down. I'd love to shoot a roll or two out in the desert.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
TEXAS?!?!

If it goes to cluster of Texa-goons, I expect Steers and Queers! :clint: :bahgawd:
Or something. It's out of my hands now, but if y'all wanna put together a mini-goon-meet around this camera that sounds pretty good. (did I do that right?)

I'm still pondering the name idea, I expect the name to emerge from the background radiation of the universe while somebody is juuuust pressing the shutter button on the last frame of their roll, I don't want to rush that process.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I think it's called a goonp, man.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

ExecuDork posted:

TEXAS?!?!

If it goes to cluster of Texa-goons, I expect Steers and Queers! :clint: :bahgawd:

Hell, in Houston I only have to go to one place to get pictures of that.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

ExecuDork posted:

TEXAS?!?!

Or something. It's out of my hands now, but if y'all wanna put together a mini-goon-meet around this camera that sounds pretty good. (did I do that right?)

I can document Poseidon and Elite Taco using your camera since they apparently live right next to me. :ninja:

PoseidonGodOfTheSea
Oct 17, 2005

IF THIS WAS REAL POKER I WOULDN'T BE A DUMB A FAGGOT

Impact Damage posted:

Let's all meet in Odessa! That way we are all on a level playing field of the last place we want to be!

Even El Paso looks down on Odessa.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

TheLastManStanding posted:

I'm game. 94127 (San Francisco).

I'm also game and also across the way from you in the Easy Bay (94530, El Cerrito). Perhaps we can meet up and do some handing off.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm going away for a week, canoeing, so I won't have a chance to check this thread until probably about August 19 or 20. I haven't seen Awkward Davies tell us he's received the camera, but Canada Post is not known for speed so I'm not particularly worried. Not that I expected anyone to, but please don't rely on my input for where it goes next. We've got nonanone lined up for it next, then wherever, but probably still on the east coast kind of area.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd like a go at this when the camera does its US tour.

I'm zip code 60543, a Chicago suburb.

Photos will probably consist of corn, maybe some prarie, and probably some from Fermilab (my employer).

Probably a cat photo and a picture of a bench, too.

If it shows up in winter, perhaps some of the lovely lasts-one-day snow that Illinois gets.

Edit - am willing to ship overseas as well, if someone wants me to be the last stop in the USA.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Count me in.

Zip code is 45415.

There isn't a whole lot of cool stuff in Dayton, OH, but I'd go to the Air Force Museum with it and shoot some stuff. I'd also stick a trigger on it and take some cool lit portraits or something.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

squidflakes posted:

Hey, you're the first HoustonGoon I've seen that isn't on the other drat side of the city.

Hey, I'm also nearby (77584).

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Lediur posted:

You're over by the huge mall-esque thing with the Carl's Jr. right?

fnif
Apr 21, 2007
xDm
I'm interested as well. I'm from Finland so let's see when it gets to this side of the world.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Lediur posted:

Pearland :gonk:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Someone had the same idea:
http://blog.flickr.net/en/2012/08/17/the-trip-that-visits-the-world/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

It's a very common and old idea.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The best one I saw was someone who taped an instant camera to a cardboard sheet and asked people along every step of the delivery process to take a photo. That was actually awesome :)

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Martytoof posted:

The best one I saw was someone who taped an instant camera to a cardboard sheet and asked people along every step of the delivery process to take a photo. That was actually awesome :)

I think he only got 3 or 4 photos out of it but they were great. There was another guy that mailed around cyanotype coated envelopes to try and grab random images and shapes.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

squidflakes posted:

You're over by the huge mall-esque thing with the Carl's Jr. right?

Yeah, the Pearland Town Center. I'll be in the Bay Area soon though.

:colbert:

Lediur fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Lediur posted:

Yeah, the Pearland Town Center. I'll be in the Bay Area soon though.

Its different. A lot less of that whole dueling banjos/soccer mom vibe, but its still there, plus you get all the bitter ex-NASA people.

Anyway, we should all go shooting sometime.

• Locked thread