Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:siren: NOW ON STEAM EARLY ACCESS! :siren:

Overgrowth is an action/adventure-oriented 3D platformer with visceral, lightning-fast combat; smooth, enjoyable gameplay; and more fluid parkour than Assassin's Creed. It is an indie game by Wolfiye Studios with innovative, contextual mechanics and a great attention to detail that expertly balances gameplay and realism. It is the sequel to Lugaru, on a new and improved engine. It is a brutal, violent, and hilariously lethal game where you play as a well-trained ninja. It is a game where you can jump in the air, do a spin and break your neck, at any time. It is a game that gives you a staggering amount of ways to kill enemies, without ever resorting to gimmicks. It is a game with an astonishing level of customizability and modding potential built right in from the start. It is a game being frequently and devotedly updated. It is a game with a variety of different themes and scenarios in addition to the main story. It has a lot of silly names for its .dlls. I can say all this and more without ever mentioning the fact that most of the characters are rabbits.

I'm posting this thread because I had no idea how amazing Lugaru and Overgrowth were, in fact I barely had any idea what kind of game its predecessor was besides hearing about troubles with Apple and it being about rabbits. Having obsessively pored over quite a few videos of its gameplay, I have to say it is probably the best game I have ever seen, edging Cortex Command out for my favorite game ever while being an entirely different type of game. Just right off the bat, the developer updates often, and strives for accessibility and ease of controls while playing. Boom! Overgrowth wins.

Features

Currently the game is a pretty impressive simulation of beating up woodland animals. The combat system is dynamic and context sensitive, so depending on the way you are moving, the attack and block buttons will do different things. You can also press keys to grab your opponent and throw them if you block their attack, and if you are in the middle of jumping you can perform a powerful mid-air attack with your feet.

There is also a fairly fluid parkour system. You can leap from rooftop to rooftop, wall-run, scoot along ledges, and even perform fancy tricks like using the roll to spin-jump your way up a circular room. The only thing it's really lacking is a robust system for climbing; everything is sort of too smooth to climb the surface of and you have to jump from ledge to ledge. Many of the custom maps take advantage of the free running. Oh yeah, did I mention how moddable it is?

The game is in beta, so currently there isn't a lot of story to it. There are quite a few maps available for you to run around and punch people on, though, which is not only loads of fun but also a good idea because the game requires a lot of skill to survive for very long. An arena mode was also recently added that allows you to play as a gladiator, with a metagame wherein you must perform well and in an interesting way to gain fame and fans. More campaigns will be added in the future as well.

Speaking of modding, if you preorder the game, you get access to the SUM Launcher, which helps you stay updated to the current game and is also a wonderful aggregate of all the community modding. Now it even lets you pick and choose what mods you want to install. You also get access to the Secret Preorder Forum where you can discuss the game and publish your own mods. So no :filez:.

Setting

It's some kind of post-apocalyptic thing. Maybe? There's stone pillars that grow like plants. Nanomachines? Everyone is pretty much tribal, though. We don't really know yet. See the comic below for more information.

Words are fine, but I want to see it.

The developer has a YouTube channel where they post weekly updates about the new additions to the game. There is also an Overgrowth web comic created to help promote the game, which is even more strongly reminiscent of Redwall, although it unfortunately suffers from inconsistent emphasis, which may detract from the experience somewhat. The setting seems a bit more Oriental and post-apocalyptic, or at least the same kind of desperate intensity, than Redwall. Mere screenshots would not do it justice, though. Videos by other people are available on YouTube as well.

If you are now interested in buying it, it will likely not be out for a year or two, or more, but you can pre-order the game and get Receiver, another nice game by Wolfire, for free. (The thread for Receiver is here.) You can update the weekly alpha builds from there. If there is another Overgrowth thread, let me know, but I couldn't find one. I welcome you to discuss your reactions, your ideas for mechanics and the direction of the game, and what fun you have while playing it! I know I have a lot to say.

Side note: If all you post in this thread is a criticism of the game for being "furry", well...

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
The combat does remind me of Die By the Sword, which is a great thing. Looks pretty janky so far. Like platforming is gonna be a nightmare. Hopefully it's the fun kind of jank and not the game is broken jank. I could take or leave the aesthetic so long as the combat holds up.

And apparently this is going to retail for $30? It looks $15 fun at best.

Economic Crysis
May 19, 2006

MAXIMUM RECESSION

Squeegy posted:

strives for accessibility and ease of controls while playing.

This is the same sort of thinking that led to a mode in NSMBW where the game plays for you. Is there a mode in Overgrowth where the game is a rabbit for you so you can yiff yourself without having to worry about controls? If not, by your own system of measurement Overgrowth does not in fact win.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lonely Rolling Star posted:

The combat does remind me of Die By the Sword, which is a great thing. Looks pretty janky so far. Like platforming is gonna be a nightmare. Hopefully it's the fun kind of jank and not the game is broken jank. I could take or leave the aesthetic so long as the combat holds up.

Having played, the platforming is actually fairly simple because it's designed to be fluid for the player. All the movement commands also have roles in parkour. You hold space after jumping to run across walls, and hold the right mouse button (which is also block) to climb ledges. Shift also lets you roll in mid-air and against or off surfaces.

Lonely Rolling Star posted:

And apparently this is going to retail for $30? It looks $15 fun at best.

Currently the game is in alpha. The completed version will have a more linear story mode, for one, as well as numerous different modes, full moddability, and online multi-play. Right now there are challenges in the latest build to put the 'game' in gameplay.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
I thought the original Lugaru looked interesting but it fell out of my memory, having never gotten to try it. This one's fluid gameplay really interests me, being able to move incredibly fast and precise like that looks fun. Hopefully it'll have levels that will allow you to achieve your goal however you want, adding oodles of replay value. I know it's in alpha now, but I hope the world is fleshed out to a decent degree and there's plenty of exploration to do and plenty of things to discover.

Edit: watching some of the videos, there's a pretty solid base for a game here. I hope the world doesn't end up as empty as it seems. I'm hoping for interesting locales that will host all sorts of scenarios. Honestly, I'm getting a sorta Redwall by Brian Jacques vibe from this, which isn't a bad thing, really.

blurry! fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 2, 2012

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

blurry! posted:

I thought the original Lugaru looked interesting but it fell out of my memory, having never gotten to try it. This one's fluid gameplay really interests me, being able to move incredibly fast and precise like that looks fun. Hopefully it'll have levels that will allow you to achieve your goal however you want, adding oodles of replay value. I know it's in alpha now, but I hope the world is fleshed out to a decent degree and there's plenty of exploration to do and plenty of things to discover.

In fact there is already planning for levels like that, as the recent update shows. Alpha 188 adds:
- Bag drop sounds
- Hotspots can detect item enter/exit
- Collection objective
- Collection hotspots
- Added 'collectable' item type

It also demos game modes where you have to reach a certain point, reach a point without being detected, go through checkpoints like a race, collect a certain (or multiple) items and bring them to a hotspot, and numerous other challenge handling things, in addition to the various end-of-level awards for 'no kills', 'no injuries', etc. added by previous updates. Even if the vanilla game doesn't have exactly what you're looking for, the limitless modding potential should allow you to create or find exactly what you want to see.

The combat is slightly less precise as it looks, being as your character does different attacks based on how you are moving (you can't directly choose which one), but it's still quite visceral and fun.

The game's story mode is supposed to be fairly linear, and not quite as sandboxy as one might be led to believe, but the developer described it as having 'a few major decisions along the way to spice things up'. Presumably the main character is on a mission, and being a highly-trained rabbit ninja, is not prone to loving around. The FAQ is here, by the way.

Personally, I would be interested in seeing perspective switch between several different races throughout the game, since it seems to have pretty interesting worldbuilding for the others as well.

blurry! posted:

I hope the world doesn't end up as empty as it seems. I'm hoping for interesting locales that will host all sorts of scenarios.

Most if not all of the levels in those videos are merely test or concept levels and likely not in any way indicative of the actual game. I trust in the dev, who seems so far to have good game design, to make interesting and cohesive environments.

blurry! posted:

Honestly, I'm getting a sorta Redwall by Brian Jacques vibe from this, which isn't a bad thing, really.

Reaaad the fiiirst poooooost.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 2, 2012

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This game is awesome purely because of the Red Pillars map which lets you be the biggest badass free running rabbit ever.

The movement and combat in this game is fantastic.

Oh yeah it is really fun to just full sprint at a wall hit the slo mo dev button and just snap your neck. I do this about 10-15 times per play.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MeinGott posted:

This game is awesome purely because of the Red Pillars map which lets you be the biggest badass free running rabbit ever.

The movement and combat in this game is fantastic.

Oh yeah it is really fun to just full sprint at a wall hit the slo mo dev button and just snap your neck. I do this about 10-15 times per play.

I agree with this post on all counts. Also, is it just me or is it harder to break your own neck while jumping now? When I do a failed roll before hitting the ground, I sort of slump to the ground and lie there, humiliated, before getting back up.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The self rag doll button helps alot.

Fighting someone who has a weapon when you don't really helps drive home how much the guy has worked on hit detection or something. If you dodge it you never get hosed over. Sucks when the oppenent says gently caress it and just whips the sword at you.

Sweeping is the funnest thing especially when you catch someone full sprint.

This game owns.

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 2, 2012

buy a hotdog!
Oct 24, 2010
I've seen glimpses of this game on and off from the moddb website. It looks pretty good but does it have any decent scenarios/missions yet or are they still just making a lot of test levels?

And I don't see why people would say this is a furry game. Aren't furries supposed to be more anthropomorphic? Those rabbit models/concepts don't look like a deviantart abomination. They are pretty close to what I'd imagine a "warrior rabbit" to look like.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I don't have internet beyond a wifi hot spot currently but I'm pretty sure all the levels are still sandbox/ test levels. You can add characters and objects to make your own fun since the game is still currently "Make Your Own Fun" hence my love for Red Pillars.

bus stop
Jul 19, 2012
nah

buy a hotdog! posted:

I've seen glimpses of this game on and off from the moddb website. It looks pretty good but does it have any decent scenarios/missions yet or are they still just making a lot of test levels?

And I don't see why people would say this is a furry game. Aren't furries supposed to be more anthropomorphic? Those rabbit models/concepts don't look like a deviantart abomination. They are pretty close to what I'd imagine a "warrior rabbit" to look like.

There's a pretty good amount of community made levels, but a lot of what I've seen is for the parkour aspect of the game. They recently added some stuff to do with challenges so I would expect more objective/combat levels to come.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No, there are now challenge levels, as well as a sort of side-scrolling fighting game mode to introduce the combat mechanics to new players.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

buy a hotdog! posted:

Anthropomorphic animals weren't invented by the so-called "furry" community, they were just co-opted by them. I mean, not everyone who owns rope is into bondage, and not everything with anthropomorphized characters is a "furry" thing. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares, etc. etc.

Game looks fun and interesting. More games could stand to use animal characters, really.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yiff yaff.

So if you own the game, there is also some sort of training course available for your download, that is intended to test your skills. Looks fun!

e: I am told this is Overgrowth in gif form:

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 3, 2012

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No alpha video this week because the changes focused on code maintenance:

David Rosen posted:

• "Must visit trigger" shows up in objectives screen
  • Can sheathe collectable items like rat bag and spine
  • Progress on editable parameter types
  • Added Last's fix for clicking on invisible buttons
  • Fixed problem with character lighting when switching levels
  • Fixed incorrect occlusion of ambient sounds
  • Fixed Linux VSync (Edward Rudd)
  • Fixed major Linux crash bug (Edward Rudd)

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
The community is ever busy. One of my greatest pipedreams is to see the Thief series remade in the Phoenix engine. Oni, too.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great to see a thread for this! I loved the original Lugaru and have been following Overgrowth since it was announced. How active is the current challenge level-making community? I'm considering preordering if there's enough content being pumped out to have fun playing it early.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stuntman posted:

Great to see a thread for this! I loved the original Lugaru and have been following Overgrowth since it was announced. How active is the current challenge level-making community? I'm considering preordering if there's enough content being pumped out to have fun playing it early.

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

The community is ever busy. One of my greatest pipedreams is to see the Thief series remade in the Phoenix engine. Oni, too.

The irony! I'll be honest, that first link is fuckin' amazing. The second one is pretty cool too, the flow of the animations is really what makes it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Squeegy posted:

The second one is pretty cool too, the flow of the animations is really what makes it.

Hahaha it looks like rabbit trackmania. Which is kind of awesome.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Watching the combat videos, it's hard to get an idea of how blows in one on one combat play out- this is out of left field, but have you played Bushido Blade? Are fights all about being better at agility, or is there also room to succeed with well timed attacks and parries without jumping and running all over?

e: Sold.

Sard fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 10, 2012

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'm quite excited for this game but decided that I'll wait until there is a story mode to play through before I buy it. The Wolfire guy (whose name I forget) and Armagan Yavuz are the only people I know of who are interested in the open-level, 3rd-person fighting genre. I maintain that the biggest drain on M&B singleplayer was the focus on over-world campaigning and big, impersonal fights in random maps. The fact that Overgrowth is meant to have a linear story mode with handmade fight scenes sort of lets me see what might have been with M&B. Having said that, though, this will have to be pretty good to distract me from Warband for longer than the first run through takes.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Sard posted:

Watching the combat videos, it's hard to get an idea of how blows in one on one combat play out- this is out of left field, but have you played Bushido Blade? Are fights all about being better at agility, or is there also room to succeed with well timed attacks and parries without jumping and running all over?

If it's mostly the same as Lugaru (the predecessor which had loving awesome combat), then parries are pretty much the focus of the combat.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I forgot about this one. Last I saw a few years ago, they were giving copies of Lugaru away for liking their Facebook page, and showing videos of their blood-spatter physics in play.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Ooh yes, Overgrowth.

I bought the alpha a few months ago because it shows a ton of promise and wolfire are always updating and uploading videos showing their progress. I haven't updated my build in a while, but it's still fun to load up and run around.

They're really nailing the feel of every aspect of the game, the running has a great sense of speed and momentum, not many games let you run into a wall and hurt yourself and have it not be annoying.
The jumping feels really good too, perfect amount of control and being able to flip in all directions gives extra control and something more to master.
Possibly the most satisfying combat ever? I love how you don't just trade hits until someone dies, no- one good leg sweep could have them break their neck, or try kicking them into a rock to break their legs. And the weapons... I freaking love how they're handling them, when you swing your sword at an enemy you don't just get a few sparks and keep fighting, that guy is loving dead now.

Plus if you buy into the alpha you get their 7dayFPS game Receiver free:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCThInmzjXw
Pretty cool little game too, I didn't think I would like all the in depth control over the gun but I ended up loving it...
These guys do things a little differently, and if you're down with indie games Overgrowth should be high on your radar and already paid for.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sard posted:

Absolutely. The block button sometimes has you doing dodges and even just softening the brunt of the blow or knocking it away, rather than a straight-up parry, and holding it down will let you do things like throw the other guy over your shoulder, which, if you kick him right after, is a great way to break his neck, although the AI is a lot deadlier with it than you are. You can also just sort of circle around each other, and the best way to get past an enemy's blocking is by hitting them when they start to signal their attack, or by counterattacking after you block it. It's still hard as gently caress either way, though. Running and jumping makes it easier because you don't have to deflect so many blows.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
God drat want this game, but I am poor. It will taunt me forever.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Agh I caved and preordered even though it's way overpriced for an alpha. I'm not really deterred by the animals thing because I liked the Redwall books when I was a kid, and the Satisfying Combat thread tempted me.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Economic Crysis posted:

This is the same sort of thinking that led to a mode in NSMBW where the game plays for you. Is there a mode in Overgrowth where the game is a rabbit for you so you can yiff yourself without having to worry about controls? If not, by your own system of measurement Overgrowth does not in fact win.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Chiming back in to say I totally do not regret this. I've just sat for an hour or two farting about in an empty desert beating the hell out of rabbits. The first time I spawned a broadsword and swung it through a guard was :aaaaa:. One instant he was spinning into a lightning fast kick and the next he's crumpling to the ground gashed from head to toe and blood arcing everywhere. This is probably the first time melee in a game makes me feel like I'm murdering things all to poo poo. There are all sorts of nice touches, like the blood collision that can drip from one part of your body onto another.

Ignoring the awesome weapon play, unarmed combat looks amazing. Every dodge and collision looks great and it's all player input, so when you try to take on swordsmen with your fists you pretty much need to really be Jackie Chan. It's challenging and really fun.

I actually think the guy made a really good decision with the character models, brutal roundhouse kicks just seem to suit hares.

Also the combat AI (as it is for the moment at least) does not give two fucks about making you feel like an idiot who deserves a broken neck, as 7c Nickel helpfully demonstrates. They roll, throw, reverse your throws, reverse your reversals and then stab you repeatedly as you roll to your feet.

E: Seriously I think that shields, bows and Skaven style ninja rats are all this needs.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 11, 2012

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

And the best part is, it's an alpha, so all of that is gonna be in some day, and then some! And that is why the price is just fine.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
It's been and will be an exhausting alpha to watch, as even a mad genius like David can overreach himself. For instance, the engine is no longer growing trees from scratch.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Okay, which video was this taken from?
I watched ten or twelve of the alpha videos already, but I somehow managed to miss this.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The Alpha 164 video, when knife combat was first introduced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkypXn5S4Rg

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

7c Nickel posted:

The Alpha 164 video, when knife combat was first introduced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkypXn5S4Rg

I think Alpha 166 is my favorite, super throws and gushing throat wounds.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Their team is way too tiny, there's basically one programmer and one graphics guy trying to make a highly detailed full blown third person 3d game. I have no doubts about their talent, but normally you have a team of 50 people making these things...

I preordered it december 2008. At the rate they're going, it's going to be done sometime around 2020 when the graphics are hopelessly outdated anyway :v:

They better add GPU based hair/fur simulation before they're done, too.
NVidia releases one techdemo after another showing how their cards can simulate a bajillion strands of hair yet no games ever use it - not even this game where the characters are 100% hair :mad:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

gobbledygoat posted:

I think Alpha 166 is my favorite, super throws and gushing throat wounds.

"If you press attack, you cut their throat, which incapacitates them"

Well, how about that.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

error1 posted:

Their team is way too tiny, there's basically one programmer and one graphics guy trying to make a highly detailed full blown third person 3d game. I have no doubts about their talent, but normally you have a team of 50 people making these things...

I preordered it december 2008. At the rate they're going, it's going to be done sometime around 2020 when the graphics are hopelessly outdated anyway :v:

They better add GPU based hair/fur simulation before they're done, too.
NVidia releases one techdemo after another showing how their cards can simulate a bajillion strands of hair yet no games ever use it - not even this game where the characters are 100% hair :mad:
Nvidia is simply showing off what they can do. It doesn't mean it's practical. The resources required to implement what they show off is ridiculously high. Also the Wolfire guys have a long history of releasing games when they're done. Something very different from today's "gently caress it, we'll patch it later" approach. I highly recommend their 7-day fps challenge game Reciever to anyone who wants to see how capable they are.
(It's free if you pre-ordered Overgrowth)
http://www.wolfire.com/receiver

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Schwarzwald posted:

"If you press attack, you cut their throat, which incapacitates them"

Well, how about that.

This kills the crab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

So, funny story. I got this game back in January of 2010 when it was offered in a bundle with Natural Selection 2. It looked like a cool concept, if a little weird with the whole anthropomorphized animals thing, but that's basically all it was, a concept, so I figured, "Eh, I'll keep an eye on it, see if it ever goes anywhere," and promptly forgot all about it. Today I'm browsing Games, and see your thread. "Oh, hey, I remember that! Let's see if it's imploded or not." I'm getting a generally positive vibe from the thread, and then I watch that first video and :hawaaaafap: "OH HOLY gently caress THAT LOOKS AWESOME." So, thanks to the wonders of Gmail the download is currently chugging away, so looking forward to checking it out (Yes, I know it's still alpha). Evidently I've got that Receiver game as well, so I'll probably take a look at that too.

And just from that first video, you are spot on with wanting Thief remade in the engine.

• Locked thread