Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Exclusive footage from the alpha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Here are some photos from my adventures in the alpha. It is insane how fun fistfights in the desert are. If someone told me a few years ago that the best game I played would largely consist of two rabbits punching each other out, I'd laugh at them.

corpses roasting on an open fire

it's ok buddy, i'm here for ya

the blood physics in this game are amazing

apparently thrown knives can stick in people now!

you can then pull them out and use them as weapons

uh

what

I DON'T LIKE WHERE THIS IS GOING

OH MY GOD

he comes

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Overgrowth alpha version 195 is out.
Here's the changelog:
  • Switched build system to use CMake for all platforms
  • Made sure all libraries and platforms are compiled with high compiler optimization settings
  • Updated Boost, Awesomium, Bullet, TinyXML libraries to the latest version
  • Updated build script to use latest compilers for each platform
  • Added script bytecode caching (for fast Angelscript loading)
  • Fixed morph target caching (for fast character loading)
  • New undo system (more maintainable but not optimized yet)
  • Wrote new GLSL preprocessor to replace Boost::Wave
  • All decals use the 3D manipulation interface
  • Added shader for tangent-space normal maps combined with detail maps
  • All objects properly free memory when deleted in the editor
  • Levels can have their own specific scripts
  • Added ‘placeholder’ objects that can be used as reference points for level scripts
  • Capped main menu at 60 fps even if VBL sync is disabled
  • Fixed problem with character LOD cache
  • Fixed problem with slow-motion toggle key
But there's no new video, since "these are mostly refactoring and build system changes".

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Squeegy posted:

Exclusive footage from the alpha:

I keep forgetting about this post and I laugh at it pretty much every time I open this thread.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Little Blue Couch posted:

I keep forgetting about this post and I laugh at it pretty much every time I open this thread.

Aw, thank you. :3:

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Has anyone tried playing this with an Xbox controller? My friends aren't exactly sold on this game but if I could hook up some controllers I'm sure we'll have a blast.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yeah, played local multiplayer against my brother using an original xbox controller. Seemed to work pretty well but he was new to the game. You might want to use the dpad for movement to make dodging easier.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Overgrowth Alpha 197 is out*, and it also has a proper video update!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo_LTa9j2Z4
Changelog for 197 is as follow:
  • Added arena level with progressive difficulty
  • Added arena level to campaign menu
  • Added GPU character skinning
  • Scripts can attach items to characters
  • Split challenge level and versus mode scripts off from level script
  • Level scripts can use string message passing instead of function calls
  • Added transparent placeholder objects
  • Added placeholder and pathpoint objects to spawner utility tab
  • Added alt-drag copy support to connectable objects
  • Fixed Mac crash when loading levels with groups
  • Fixed Windows zlib.dll issue (error 0xc0150002)
  • Fixed Linux SSE memory alignment issue
  • Fixed deleting characters during combat
  • Fixed shader live update
  • Fixed object parameter saving and loading
*196 also came out last week, but it was just some bug fixing and code cleanup

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I played a lot of Lugaru in college. like A LOT. Which is weird because lugaru is barely a game, it's just an infinite rabbit combat simulator really. But I had more fun sneaking around and triggering guards and getting into massive death confrontations with packs of wolves and... poo poo, I might need to get this. I'm pretty sure I actually paid for lugaru twice.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
How successful was Lugaru, anyway? Overgrowth is a pretty high-quality game for an indie studio with no really obvious source of serious income. I wonder if they're still sucking in some of that sweet Humble Bundle money... anyone know who owns Humble Bundle Inc?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

XboxPants posted:

How successful was Lugaru, anyway? Overgrowth is a pretty high-quality game for an indie studio with no really obvious source of serious income. I wonder if they're still sucking in some of that sweet Humble Bundle money... anyone know who owns Humble Bundle Inc?

Jeff from Wolfire owns it I believe. So they are defiantly not short on a dollar. They could make Overgrowth for the next 10 years and still be loaded.

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
To be fair, they have been working on it for over 4 years. My email tells me that I had preordered this in october 2008. :v:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

radintorov posted:

Overgrowth Alpha 197 is out*, and it also has a proper video update!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo_LTa9j2Z4
Changelog for 197 is as follow:

The Arena fight map is awesome for just plain old combat. And it's super easy to just raise the platform the fight happens on a hundred meters into the air to make ring-outs a little more punishing.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

tehsid posted:

Jeff from Wolfire owns it I believe. So they are defiantly not short on a dollar. They could make Overgrowth for the next 10 years and still be loaded.

Well then we should be a little worried because their current schedule has them finishing up sometime in 2030.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I like the game but don't like the price, too spoilt by the pricing of indie games to buy a beta for $30.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

the black husserl posted:

Well then we should be a little worried because their current schedule has them finishing up sometime in 2030.

Honestly I don't know why it's taking them so long. They threw together Desperate Gods in like, a weekend. What are they coding in Overgrowth that takes so long?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Squeegy posted:

Honestly I don't know why it's taking them so long. They threw together Desperate Gods in like, a weekend. What are they coding in Overgrowth that takes so long?

Full dwarf hair rabbit fur simulation.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I assume there's no demo out? I read the whole thread today and I like what I see. Although I would really appreciate a hands on before dropping a whole $30 on it.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Avocados posted:

I assume there's no demo out? I read the whole thread today and I like what I see. Although I would really appreciate a hands on before dropping a whole $30 on it.

If you preorder, you get access to the alpha forums and all the builds that are released frequently. It's playable but you have to mess around with the editor. But I think there are some presets that lets you easily get into a quick fight.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Squeegy posted:

Well, a whole game engine for one. Receiver and Desperate Gods were made with Unity so most of the heavy lifting was already done (Seriously, you can just drop in assets and cobble up some simple scripts and have a basic game running in minutes.) Overgrowth is doing a lot of unique things though so it needs a lot more work to get it together and to get it right.
They've probably got enough to build some levels and release now, but every time there's a video update the game seems awesomer so letting it cook a while longer might be a good idea. (I haven't put any money down on it yet, myself)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The new arena mode is nice, but I wish they had taken a little extra time to pretty up the map. I know the mode became much more enjoyable when I did a little work on it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

7c Nickel posted:

The new arena mode is nice, but I wish they had taken a little extra time to pretty up the map. I know the mode became much more enjoyable when I did a little work on it.

Care to release your changes?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Squeegy posted:

Care to release your changes?

Sure, took me a bit to figure out exactly what I needed to do.

Make a backup of

C:\Program Files\Wolfire\Overgrowth\Data\Levels\Project60\16_red_desert_super_empty_script.xml

and then put this XML file in it's place. Next time you load the arena mode it will have my new temple thing. Note that you should regenerate and save new shadows and navmesh, or else things will be a little wonky.. Also I think you can rename the XML file and load it separately if you want to keep the old map in place.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 12, 2013

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So Aubrey and David streamed making a game in 3 days for the Humble Mojam Bundle. Upside: Awesome, new games. Downside: Stream full of furries.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Squeegy posted:

So Aubrey and David streamed making a game in 3 days for the Humble Mojam Bundle. Upside: Awesome, new games. Downside: Stream full of furries.
Well, they are making a game about kung-fu rabbits, cats, dogs and wolves. :v:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Excited for this. Love Lugaru so much.

SPEAKING of which, I just reinstalled it and...uh...I am encountering some weird problems. Weapons freak out and jump around, often moving halfway across the map, when dropped. rabbit punching some dude will sometimes send him one story high, getting knocked by a bo staff will send someone into low orbit sometimes, wolves run twice as fast as they should when running "animal style," moving the camera sometimes just doesn't work, game is way more cpu-intensive than it should be, and forcing it to use only one processor does nothing. Also, if I hold any keyboard key down for more than .01 milliseconds when inputting my name, the game registers this as 8 presses of that key.

What happened to my games!!! :(

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Sounds like something's gone wrong in your raws. Poke through and see if any of them seem off.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Haha, after turning on debug mode, I saw that the game was running at 500 fps. Forcing vsync and all that in the catalyst control center seems to have fixed all the problems. Kind of weird that it would make all the physics turn wonky, though.

Also, I'm very pleased to see that I am still good enough to take down those three wolves in the main campaign on insane difficulty without using stealth.

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 27, 2013

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Now try setting it to negative speed.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Latest update from Wolfire.

Wolfire blog posted:

Last week we participated in the Mojam 2 charity drive, and created a stealth deathmatch game called "Low Light Combat". Thanks to everyone who donated, and everyone who cheered us on in the live streams! Here's a video showing the results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDxxMvY65TI&hd=1
Be sure to watch it in HD!

If you've preordered Overgrowth, or donated to Mojam 2, then you already have access to the game on your purchase page. If you don't have your purchase email anymore, you can retrieve it using the key resender. Otherwise, you can get it for a $5 donation to charity here, along with a couple extra keys so you can play with your friends.

We had even more ambitious plans for the game, with extra levels, narrative, and graphical effects, but netcode ended up taking most of my time. You can expect to see those other plans realized in an update within a few months! For now though, it will be great to get back to Overgrowth arena gameplay.

Hopefully, with more networking experience under their belt, we'll see multiplayer Overgrowth sooner rather than later.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
They made a game about post-apocalyptic nuclear powered ninjas fighting proxie wars for the Illuminati. They have a 60 second battery till death, a nuclear laser shotgun that drains 15 seconds per shot but they get energy back from killing other ninjas.

Their game concept is loving mental.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

They made a game about post-apocalyptic nuclear powered ninjas fighting proxie wars for the Illuminati. They have a 60 second battery till death, a nuclear laser shotgun that drains 15 seconds per shot but they get energy back from killing other ninjas.

Their game concept is loving mentalMETAL!:black101:.

I think this is what you meant.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So apparently Receiver finally got greenlit for Steam, awesome. It says it's available, but I don't see any Steam key on my page yet.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Receiver was greenlit at the end of February.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Receiver was greenlit at the end of February.

Yes, okay, and? It wasn't mentioned in the thread yet.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Perhaps because this is the Overgrowth thread and not the Receiver thread.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thanks for the link; I'll put it in the OP.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWa3Z_w99s

A new dev diary is out, apparently Beta is around a year away.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
This game keeps sounding better and better. I'm getting tired of waiting, but man it's going to be sweet when it finally releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Anyone finding the latest alpha much more unstable than the last few builds? Part and parcel of an alpha I know, it will be a bummer if I need to roll back though.

• Locked thread