Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Squeegy posted:

Nobody, but Radical 90s Wizard seemed to be complaining mightily.

He made a single post that wasn't as bad as you say. What are you even talking about? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
This game is really interesting, and a little strange to control. The controls are simple and intuitive once you actually know what's going on, but getting there is a trick. I'm sure a tutorial will be in order as Alpha draws to a close. I'd like a tightening up on the grappling, since it seems hit-or-miss whether you know you're going to counter a move or not. I think the slo-mo function would be put to great use at certain points, like split second slo-mo effects when you grapple an opponent, just to let you know it happened. The combat is extremely fast, hectic, and fluid, so small indicators like that would go a long way to feeling more in control of the situation. I'd also like some sort of attack you can do whilst in a jump, or some sort of beneficial combat effect, like pressing the jump while evading an attack will make you jump off an enemy, sending them sprawling, sacrificing overall aerial movement to do so.

I hope this game offers something besides the combat as well. It's really fluid and powerful feeling, and almost over too quickly. The best thing they could do is craft entertaining and interesting characters and world to explore so that it feels like there's stuff to do and a world to occupy once the fighting ends, because it ends swiftly. Even looking at the wiki, stuff to get excited about beyond bashing a rabbit's head open or getting your head bashed open by a wolf seems kinda sparse. Here's hoping they don't neglect the game aspect of their game, even if they have a robust combat engine.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

blurry! posted:

Thanks for continually posting in this thread, I'm finally going to get this. I love deep, dynamic gameplay, especially combat, and have to disposable income to get a $30 alpha game, so here goes!

No problem! That's why I made it, after all. Well worth the money (if it works).

blurry! posted:

This game is really interesting, and a little strange to control. The controls are simple and intuitive once you actually know what's going on, but getting there is a trick. I'm sure a tutorial will be in order as Alpha draws to a close. I'd like a tightening up on the grappling, since it seems hit-or-miss whether you know you're going to counter a move or not. I think the slo-mo function would be put to great use at certain points, like split second slo-mo effects when you grapple an opponent, just to let you know it happened. The combat is extremely fast, hectic, and fluid, so small indicators like that would go a long way to feeling more in control of the situation. I'd also like some sort of attack you can do whilst in a jump, or some sort of beneficial combat effect, like pressing the jump while evading an attack will make you jump off an enemy, sending them sprawling, sacrificing overall aerial movement to do so.

I hope this game offers something besides the combat as well. It's really fluid and powerful feeling, and almost over too quickly. The best thing they could do is craft entertaining and interesting characters and world to explore so that it feels like there's stuff to do and a world to occupy once the fighting ends, because it ends swiftly. Even looking at the wiki, stuff to get excited about beyond bashing a rabbit's head open or getting your head bashed open by a wolf seems kinda sparse. Here's hoping they don't neglect the game aspect of their game, even if they have a robust combat engine.

You need to time the grapple exactly with their move. Once you get the combat down it becomes fairly easy to counter and grapple. It's sort of the best way to fight, assuming your enemies don't hit hard enough to break your passive block and instakill you. I recommend you fight in slow-mo until you can recognize the tells and get blocking and countering down; then graduate to active fighting. Once you get the hang of it, even in hectic normal speed you can still do it well.

Also, if you're close, you can do a both-foot mid-air kick that usually instakills.

Try the arena campaign! It has plot that's about fighting. Best of both worlds!

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

Squeegy posted:

No problem! That's why I made it, after all. Well worth the money (if it works).

You need to time the grapple exactly with their move. Once you get the combat down it becomes fairly easy to counter and grapple. It's sort of the best way to fight, assuming your enemies don't hit hard enough to break your passive block and instakill you. I recommend you fight in slow-mo until you can recognize the tells and get blocking and countering down; then graduate to active fighting. Once you get the hang of it, even in hectic normal speed you can still do it well.

Also, if you're close, you can do a both-foot mid-air kick that usually instakills.

Try the arena campaign! It has plot that's about fighting. Best of both worlds!

Yeah, that helps with learning the combat system. The core gameplay is nice, it'll be cool when they move on to the presentation phase, especially when it comes to relaying information to the player in fast and efficient ways (such as specific arena fight types and teams) and crafting ways to give combat the extra punchy feel. I guess if I had to change anything about how combat plays out, is somehow make it last a little longer, or at least feel like it does. Slow-motion when you down an enemy for a moment, counters, grapple throws to send enemies flying, that sorta thing. Maybe a bit more variety on how you strike an opponent when you're on the offensive. It's mostly a striking or sweeping kick now, it'd be nice to add headbutts and hand based blows or limb breaking or something. Give combat the real meaty feel.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

blurry! posted:

Yeah, that helps with learning the combat system. The core gameplay is nice, it'll be cool when they move on to the presentation phase, especially when it comes to relaying information to the player in fast and efficient ways (such as specific arena fight types and teams) and crafting ways to give combat the extra punchy feel. I guess if I had to change anything about how combat plays out, is somehow make it last a little longer, or at least feel like it does. Slow-motion when you down an enemy for a moment, counters, grapple throws to send enemies flying, that sorta thing. Maybe a bit more variety on how you strike an opponent when you're on the offensive. It's mostly a striking or sweeping kick now, it'd be nice to add headbutts and hand based blows or limb breaking or something. Give combat the real meaty feel.

They're overhauling combat now, so I assume they will definitely be getting to that. Keep in mind it's an alpha! The last few updates have really made weapon combat a lot more satisfying.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

This game continues to be one of the most brutal looking things I've ever seen. Not through canned finishing moves and schlocky gore, but with cleverly integrated physics.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The official forums for this seem to be preorders only. Is there any mods that allow for online multi at all? Looks like not yet other then split screen alpha. If they are beta around next summer that means its going to have to go in at some point before then.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 16, 2013

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I would love to have this game but 30 clams for an alpha is steep as hell and my luck with alphas (Starforge!!!!!) is less than stellar.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well worth it. Punching small animals hasn't been this fun since your mother-in-law's backyard when you were thirteen.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

Squeegy posted:

Well worth it. Punching small animals hasn't been this fun since your mother-in-law's backyard when you were thirteen.

It was the only way to relieve stress after they made me get married at 13 years old :smith:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

The official forums for this seem to be preorders only. Is there any mods that allow for online multi at all? Looks like not yet other then split screen alpha. If they are beta around next summer that means its going to have to go in at some point before then.

Online multiplayer isn't really something that you can add with a mod. You're likely just going to have to wait.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

7c Nickel posted:

Online multiplayer isn't really something that you can add with a mod. You're likely just going to have to wait.

Oh I know that normally, its just that they had a server browser up and running in 2009!
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/08/multiplayer-server-browser/ And it was hard to find info out that nothing for alpha seemed to develop since then.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I feel like the execution in this game might be too simple for it to be fun in MP.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Seashell Salesman posted:

I feel like the execution in this game might be too simple for it to be fun in MP.

There's already offline multiplayer.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Squeegy posted:

There's already offline multiplayer.

I've never played it. Does anyone here have much experience with the MP?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yes this game is still looking consistently cooler. Yet the updates are too infrequent and developer communication too sparse to warrant a whole whopping 30 dollars. It still has a very long ways to go. I know how unfashionable it is to actually buy games after they are finished but I will probably be treading that path with this one.

ps. Lugaru is a freaking sweet game, I can't believe the developer made that when he was in high school.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

Online multiplayer isn't really something that you can add with a mod.

Ah-hem

I'm not saying it'd be an easy thing to do with Overgrowth, especially since it's in Alpha and subject to many code changes, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Elth posted:

Ah-hem

I'm not saying it'd be an easy thing to do with Overgrowth, especially since it's in Alpha and subject to many code changes, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

That's not really a mod in the sense of "Overgrowth mods", which follow a set format proscribed by Wolfire. It's a mod like ENB Series is a mod, subverting the intended behavior of the game.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Overgrowth Alpha 202 has been released:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-pviuWT0us
  • Added "Dialogue" ribbon tab and buttons
  • Added transparent screenshot key (f8)
  • Initial dialogue editor
  • Editor widgets for eye, head, torso and character position control
  • Camera widget with preview and safe zone
  • Hotspot to start dialogues
  • Scripts can read and write text files
  • Scripts can get text metrics (pixel size of strings)
  • DebugDraw can display billboard textures
  • Added "Poses" tab to spawner
  • Take screenshots through external camera if selected

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That's some of the most intuitive looking modding/end-user support I've ever seen. There's going to be some amazing stuff coming out of the Phoenix engine when it's done.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

wiegieman posted:

when it's done.

Like that could happen. 5 years and it's still in alpha...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I mentally rate Wolfire Games up there with Bay 12 when it comes to 'genius tinkering but never actually finishing anything'.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

randombattle posted:

Like that could happen. 5 years and it's still in alpha...

Yeah, I preordered Overgrowth and Natural Selection 2 in a proto-humble bundle and I thought NS2 would never come out. Little did I know that Overgrowth would still be in development a year after NS2. It still looks good though, I have fun with the alpha every now and then. They're actually pushing updates too albeit less frequently so maybe it's getting there?

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
Do you guys have any tips for countering attacks? I feel like even with slow-mo, my timing is still off. Should I be hitting the move keys or be actively blocking to avoid dying?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Holy loving poo poo!! That looks absolutely amazing. I really wish it worked on any of my computers.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Grumbles about long development aside, they're creating some absolutely amazingly great tools. There are professionals out there that'd kill for a cutscene editor that could be used that easily.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
After a rather long hiatus, Aubrey uploaded a new (short) Art Assets Overview and also made a new video for what is possibly going to be a new series called "Factbook", this one covering the topic of rabbit habitations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0KGGbyPIv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBWTur53D0k

More here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Now that we're seeing some non-combat aspects, I'm almost reminded of Morrowind.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Receiver's thread died (whoda thunk it!!) so let me also point out this extremely cool use of Virtual Reality: http://youtu.be/EnH_gqnDFQ0

It looks super cool and also we're basically living in the future now guys. This is it.

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.
Overgrowth looks cool, but so did Lugaru until I actually played it. That game had a lot of hype around these parts but in the end it was just an incredibly janky beat-em-up that failed to deliver on any of its promises. I hope Overgrowth isn't biting off more than it can chew.

Agreed that the tools look incredible but I'm having a hard time hyping myself up for the actual game. It's been fun to follow the development though! If nothing else, some good should come of the engine and modding tools.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Ive already had more fun screwing around with the engine in overgrowth than I have completing a lot of full price games. The combat is really fluid, pleasing to watch and satisfying. That being said I'll be surprised if it comes out as a full game in the next 2 or 3 years.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So you know how David always talks in his videos? This guy from Microsoft released a video on automated video looping with progressive dynamism, and the way he speaks is eerily familiar...

2 Track EP posted:

Overgrowth looks cool, but so did Lugaru until I actually played it. That game had a lot of hype around these parts but in the end it was just an incredibly janky beat-em-up that failed to deliver on any of its promises. I hope Overgrowth isn't biting off more than it can chew.

Agreed that the tools look incredible but I'm having a hard time hyping myself up for the actual game. It's been fun to follow the development though! If nothing else, some good should come of the engine and modding tools.

I knew nothing about Lugaru other than that it apparently got stolen a lot on iTunes, so I don't have this problem! I am super hyped for Overgrowth and have already had a lot of fun. The combat is not janky at all, in my opinion.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Seems the guys at Wolfire are increasing the rate at which they update again:

Overgrowth Alpha 203

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFGOMs74MZg
  • Press '8' for random dog and color palette
  • Tail physics
  • Morphs affect fur planes
  • Can change character scale
  • Fixed weapon retargeting with large characters (like wolves)
  • Improved wolf animation
  • Added bone inflation effect
  • Added muscle/fat/ear-size parameters using bone inflation
  • Arena fighters have varied size and shape based on difficulty
  • Fixed problem with checkbox parameters
  • Added screen_width and screen_height int uniforms for post processing

Factbook: Useful Animal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltHEwG5N5Uo

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Those are some fatass bunnies.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Its more fun to fight as a fat bunny, kinda like how the fat guy in Mortal Kombat was the best to play as. Its just comical that a really out of shape character can beat up hundreds of stronger foes.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Another week, another Overgrowth Alpha (204):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pO7Ds4zd8w
Changelog:
  • Added tool to attach environment objects to character skeletons
  • Added NVTX labels for GPU profiling
  • Converted most immediate-mode drawing to use vertex arrays or VBOs
  • Improved VBO and line-width state shadowing
  • Reduced per-frame memory allocations
  • Static physics AABBs are only updated as needed
  • Added angelscript benchmarking functions
  • Fixed performance issue with ASGetObjectIDArray
  • Fixed vec3 normalization issue which could cause random crashes

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ghillie suit bunny looks pretty great.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

7c Nickel posted:

Ghillie suit bunny looks pretty great.

Wish it affected enemies' ability to see you.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Just picked this up today and it loving owns. The arena mode is good fun, and seeing my Rabbit get stabbed in the side, and then clutch the wound while fighting made me feel like a bad person.

Also, neck wound button. Never not brutal.

E: So far this is what most of my game-play looks like

E2: Thank god I'm improving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWu87WLmbBQ

Megabound fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

rizuhbull posted:

Why is this anthropomorphic thing even an issue that warrants justification? Is it the aesthetics or because a tiny sect of people out there jack off to it? The former I can kind of understand. Recettear is a good example.
I'm not a fan of most cel-shaded stuff, but I can appreciate what it's going for.

If it's the latter, well then that's just dumb. :colbert:
Anthromorpthic animals have been a mainstay in stories since forever. I very rarely run into furries online so I don't get how they can ruin this poo poo for so many people. Maybe I'm the weird one.

I think most of us have seen our share of hosed up poo poo on the internet. But, at least for me, it's never affected the enjoyment of the source material. There's porn for everything so getting upset about it seems stupid. It's not like "Oh no, I accidently saw cartoon/fanfiction/incest/animal porn, guess anything relevant to those is gonna be weird for me now." No, that's retarded. You say "that's hosed up", forget about it and move on.

Anyway, does anyone know of any bundles or deals going on with Overgrowth? $30 is a lot for an alpha.

People who will skip over entire projects because of how lovely furydom is loving annoys me.

One of the things Overgrowth seems to be doing right is the characters. I can understand a lot of the trepidation people have when seeing an anthropomorphic animal in a work when what's so prevalent these days is lovely fandom, mixed with creepy sexual fetishes and a desire to shoehorn whatever get's their motor running into every loving facet of their lives but the direction that Overgrowth seems to be taking seems to be a level headed and good design decision.

What they're able to do is make their characters personality and mannerisms more surface level, and using the qualities that we've given to animals to emphasize parts of their character. Take one of my favorite comics ever, Blacksad, as a loving masterclass in this.

Now, these are 3 panels that really exemplify the point, but you could look at any drawing taken from any part of the book and see the same thing. The artist has made each character a caricature of itself. The loyal, obedient dogs. The sly fox, dirty pigs. You know what you're getting with each character. In Overgrowth we know that the Rats are sneaky, the rabbits nimble, the wolves fearsome and strong. Judging by the Factbooks they're running as well it looks like this will be extending to the lore as well. It'll be great to see how far they follow through with their ideas, as things can change a lot from paper to full-blown game. But at least they seem to be on the right track.

• Locked thread