Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Someone get him a custom title that says "UMINEKO THREAD OP- DO NOT PROBATE" or something when he comes off probation. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Something like "Witch power > Mod judgement" may be appropriate as well. :downs:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Jeek posted:

Something like "Witch power > Mod judgement" may be appropriate as well. :downs:

The reveal is that this is all just a dream Battler is having waiting for his 1 month probation to end.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Reminds me of when he modsmacked Lizard Wizard for racism... when LW just was explaining Morrowind mechanics.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

WickedIcon posted:

Someone get him a custom title that says "UMINEKO THREAD OP- DO NOT PROBATE" or something when he comes off probation. :v:

I'm asking for a retraction, my bad. It got reported and I didn't look closely enough at whose thread it was, etc.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

slowbeef posted:

I'm asking for a retraction, my bad. It got reported and I didn't look closely enough at whose thread it was, etc.

I think the timing couldn't be any better, the letter of the witch was read and the first victim was claimed, the OP of this thread.

Witches are truly scary.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

On the bright side, he doesn't have a Stupid Newbie avatar anymore. :allears:

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

On the bright side, he doesn't have a Stupid Newbie avatar anymore. :allears:

Having Battler as an avatar is not much of an improvement, I think it's a downgrade in some shape or form.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Walterion posted:

Having Battler as an avatar is not much of an improvement, I think it's a downgrade in some shape or form.

OP can certainly use a Kinzo avatar. It would be an improvement in every shape and form imaginable.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Jeek posted:

OP can certainly use a Kinzo avatar. It would be an improvement in every shape and form imaginable.

Kinzo is the right choice, it can't never go wrong with him. I mean, he managed to get 10 ton of gold, he is the man of this business.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I'm not sure which I expected less, getting probated for spoiling my own LP, or then getting out of it about a day early with an avatar. Whoever bought this, you're the best.

Part Twelve: A Shiny Ingot Made of Gold

Maria was repeatedly barraged with questions by Rosa oba-san and the other parents and became increasingly ill-tempered when they refused to believe her.

If I tried to raise my voice in this kind of situation, I would just be ignored.

Our parents were all stirred up, firing back and forth about the distribution of the assets, and completely forgetting that we children were even there.

...Even though I'd already figured that they had been talking like this in the shadows, I hadn't thought they would be so blunt. It gave all of us kids a considerable shock.

...From what we could overhear, all of the parents wanted more money as soon as possible.

Since no one particularly needed us, we left our seats and went to hang out somewhere apart from the parents...

: "Well I'm already completely disillusioned with that old bastard. There's no way I could think any worse of him. Ihihi!"

: "Th, that's exactly the same as me! However..., that freakin' shocked me. Shocked me to the bottom of my heart..."

Jessica looked down at the floor, irritated.

...She was always talking about how bad her parents were, but maybe she hadn't really felt that way deep inside.

I could realize that from the depths of Jessica's shock.

Or, you know, the two of you just kind of suck at being rich.

: "I know that George nii-san has become a full-fledged member of society and is working hard, ...but does that mean that once you start talking about money and assets, you turn into a shameless, greedy vulture...?"

: "...If you're talking about me, no, I wouldn't want to do that. However, when your family and your employees, your subordinates and their families are all counting on you, ...there are some times when you must fight."

: "...I hate that kind of fight. That back and forth about Grandfather's inheritance, it just makes me wanna puke."

Jessica pretended to spit violently.

...That harsh reaction made the depths of her pain very clear.

: "...Let's stop talking about this. All of this about Grandfather's hidden gold, about property and inheritance is our parents' problem, not ours."

: "I agree. ...At the very least, I think that being considerate and staying out of the parents' way when they're talking is the duty of their children."

: "...Heh. ...Sounds pretty boring..."

Everyone knows the phrase "Adults are filthy", ...but we had now seen that for ourselves, and that really did give us a shock.

George-aniki was now pretty much an adult, and I had already been disillusioned with my dad in the first place, so the shock wasn't that big for us, ...but it looked like it was different for Jessica.

Really, you'd think she'd be the most keenly aware that the Ushiromiyas are all assholes. She is the one who's been stuck on an island with them for her entire life, after all. And has had the most contact with Kinzo as a result.

...And then her parents started raging about, going 'Money money inheritance inheritance, my money!' right in front of all of the other parents and the children. It was no surprise that the shock of hearing that was so big...

: "...Jessica-chan. Please don't start hating your mother and father. ...I won't ask you to understand them, but at least don't hate them."

: "I get it, just leave me alone a bit...!!"

Six years ago, I would have further taunted the dejected Jessica, ...I guess I really have grown over six years.

I realized that it would be better to leave Jessica as she was right now...

Jessica suddenly looked away sulkily and left the parlor.

...She probably wanted to be left alone for now.

I could do nothing but wordlessly watch her back as she left...

Maria, who truly looked up to witches, had expected that coming in direct contact with Beatrice and receiving the letter as proof would be an event that would surprise everyone and make them happy.

However, the adults had doubted its authenticity, and without swallowing Maria's story, had thoroughly bombarded her with questions.

It was hard for me to imagine how much that must have hurt Maria.

And this right after the business with the typhoon and beating. Jesus. This is just not her night.

I couldn't speak to Maria or Jessica.

...In the end, George-aniki and I just abandoned ourselves to the sound of the falling rain in the dark night...

: "I wonder what's happening with that typhoon. ...Maybe there's some news."

George-aniki started walking over to the corner of the parlor where the television was.

He hadn't called me over, and I really couldn't have cared less where the typhoon was on the sea now. So without going over to the television, I loitered around the window.

: "...That stomachache of a discussion could continue all night. It will get nasty."

: "Well then, please enjoy playing vultures to Grandfather's property as much as you'd like. ...It's disgusting."

: "I'll agree with you on that. If I could just slip away like you, I would do it. ...Unfortunately, I can't. Even if I'm not allowed to speak. My partner needs me, right?"

Kyrie-san took a deep breath, smiling bitterly.

That's right.

They probably wouldn't let Kyrie-san, who married into the family, speak.

Still, as Dad's partner, she had no choice but to stay by his side and support him.

...She must have had to bear the full brunt of this mental pressure, much more than I did.

I wasn't going to apologize, but, realizing that I had spoken too harshly, I cut the sarcasm for the time being...

: "So how does it look? Are they still stuck on the topic of the mysterious witch, Beatrice?"

On the one hand, they all want a larger portion than the other siblings, so they are all rivals, but on the other hand, they don't want one yen to be snatched up by anyone other than the siblings, so they are also all allies.

I haven't been told the details, but they argue on and on about their ceasefire agreement and rules to prevent anyone from getting ahead, under which their portions are protected, and which can, in the worst case scenario, even become grounds for legal action.

...That they would go this far to preserve their shares was more than shocking...

: "So, basically, Beatrice is like an assassin sent by Grandfather. ...He probably wanted to scare the hell out of his children for just talking about the distribution of the inheritance without him. Ihihi!"

Battler, I don't think you get how assassins work. Or how Kinzo works, for that matter. If he was planning to off the family, you would know.

: "Who is this Beatrice, I wonder? If she is who she says she is, then she's a mystery that no one knew about until today, and she also knew about the existence of Grandfather's hidden gold. Furthermore, she was even entrusted with the head's ring. ...She must truly have been trusted by him."

: "Well, obviously I don't think she's a witch riding around on a broom. ...But she was surely a mysterious person who rated being called a witch."

: "What is for certain is that Maria received a letter from a person who took the name Beatrice. ...Entrusting Maria with a letter and hiding away even now, when she could have just appeared and talked to us directly...she sure is shy for a mystery person. Hahahahaha..."

: "...Hey, Battler-kun. Do you think that someone called Beatrice actually exists?"

: "Who knows? Doesn't it really seem like a false name? Like she's Grandfather's representative, so she was permitted to take the name of the witch from his delusions?"

: "No, that's not what I meant. Right now, there are a total of 18 people here on Rokkenjima. ...Do you think that there is a 19th person?"

Are there really 18 people on this island?

Wondering about that, I began counting on my fingers, and it really did come out to 18 people.

: "Then, where exactly is this person now? At the very least, she must have been on this island when it started raining. And since that time, the weather has become progressively worse, so taking a boat out would be pretty much impossible. In that case, that person must still be on the island hiding from the rain somewhere. ...And without being spotted by any of us?"

: "...Certainly, all of us have been randomly prowling around all over the mansion and the guesthouse, but no one has bumped into a 19th person...Even so, this island is huge. There might be other places to hide from the rain outside the mansion and the guesthouse."

Or, even within the mansion, say, Kinzo's study? Some other obscure room no one, except servants who already in on it, ever goes or would think to check?

At about this time, I began to realize what direction Kyrie-san's doubts were taking us in.

Kyrie-san was denying that a 19th person existed.

...Beatrice was one of us 18.

...In other words, she thought that someone we knew well was tricking us.

: "Wait a second, isn't this line of reasoning a little too hasty? Yes, no one spotted them, but that doesn't mean that you can deny the possibility that a 19th person exists, right?”

Meet the Devil's Proof. It is an actual legal term, also known as the Probatio Diabolica. The page is short, so you may as well read up, as Battler loves the hell out of it as an argument. As such, it's another thing we're gonna be seeing a lot of within the in-game theorizing.

: "...Yes. Battler-kun, your way of reasoning isn't bad. In the current situation, there's not enough information to either accept that a 19th person exists or deny it. ...But if you turn the chessboard over and think of it that way, we can be nearly sure that the existence of a 19th person is impossible."

'Turn the chessboard over' was one of Kyrie-san's favorite phrases.

...I had also been influenced by those words, and used them myself from time to time.

When you got stuck trying to find a move in chess or Shogi, by turning the board over and looking at everything from your opponent's standpoint, you could often see a strategy that would give you the upper hand.

It meant turning things around and putting yourself in your opponent's shoes.

It really was a contradiction.

If they had some reason for hiding themselves, then they should have stayed hidden the whole time. But even so, they had appeared openly in front of Maria.

: "Then...wait, Maria even said it. Didn't she say that she had been made a messenger? Since Maria was the youngest and looked the most innocent..."

: "Why would they need a messenger? If they just wanted a letter delivered to the family conference, they could have mailed it. If they mailed it to each of the four siblings, they would be unable to ignore it. There was no need for them to carry it themselves and secretly hand it over."

: "...That really...does sound pretty weird."

: "In the first place, if Beatrice existed, and she wanted to make her presence known to everyone, then she could have just openly presented herself to all of us. Despite that, she chose the vague method of appearing through a little girl called Maria-chan, and only gave us an indistinct impression of who she was. Contradiction. Let's go a little deeper, shall we?

: “In short, there is some scheme by someone who wants to give the impression that there is a 19th person called Beatrice."

: "...If this person wanted to hide, then they wouldn't have made their presence known. And if they wanted to show themselves, they wouldn't have used the roundabout approach of entrusting someone with a letter. ...Which means...?"

: "It's simple. Beatrice is one of the 18 people. Which means that they want to create the illusion that there is someone outside of the 18 people. ...The 19th person was revealed so spectacularly. The only person who could profit from this would not be some 19th person in hiding. It would be one of the original 18 people. ...Of course, this reasoning is full of holes. If you turn over even a few of its premises, it will simply fall apart. But I think it is almost certainly correct."

Unless, of course, Beatrice has kicked earth logic to the curb just to gently caress with everyone even more.

: "I had suspected that it might have been Maria-chan playacting, but the contents of the message were extremely complicated, so it's hard to think that Maria-chan prepared it herself. ...However, I can't deny the possibility that Maria-chan is working together with someone."

: "W, wait, a sec..., Maria's a nine year old kid, right?! What could she possibly be planning, and with who?! And what about her serious, too honest, and obedient character?!"

: "Yes, I also understand what kind of a person Maria-chan is. ...But I think that's exactly why it's possible. That girl's a dreamer who can't help but look up to and blindly accept the existence of witches. So if a person appeared in front of her and said they were the witch Beatrice, Maria-chan would be so happy that she would just swallow it up, I think."

: "...So you're saying that if someone disguised themselves by wearing that fancy dress from the portrait, tricking Maria wouldn't be that hard?"

: "Of course, with that reasoning, all of us women would become the primary suspects. ...Anyways, did Maria-chan encounter someone? Learning the details of that question would be the best key to solving this riddle.”

And then it...randomly cuts to Maria breaking down in front of the portrait in the middle of the conversation.

And then switches back almost immediately. That was...a thing?

: "Battler-kun, I think that a kid like you would be better at cheering her up than an adult like me. ...After she's feeling better, try asking...I know you don't care about all this back and forth on the distribution of the inheritance, but don't you think this rich western mansion mystery situation is exciting? Who in the world is this person who gave Maria-chan the letter? ...It makes your intellectual curiosity ache."

: "Even though it's connected to that boring money problem, it's pretty exciting and a really tough problem... Adults can be pretty horrible."

I shrugged, surprised.

...But she had noticed it.

She had noticed the dejection I had felt because I had overheard our parents' turbulent discussion, and was probably trying to turn my mood around.

: "Hey, brats, so this is where you were? Kyrie, you really took your time fixing your makeup, didn't you? From now on, I'll start wearing it too."

: "I'm sorry. A woman's makeup takes a long time. ...So? How has the discussion been without me?"

: "Hehehe, I'm sure everything was all peaceful and harmonious."

Kyrie-san poked the weak spot under my arm with her elbow.

: "Still, that rain's just awful. I really don't want to go back to the guesthouse. It looks like Natsuhi nee-san made preparations for us to spend the night here in the mansion. What'll we do?"

: "...We don't need to think of it until you're done, right? If you run out of enough energy to head back to our room, then we can let them take care of us."

: "That's right. We can think about it later. ...What about you, Battler?"

: "If I stayed, I'd just get in the way. I'll be nice and go back over there."

: "...Is that so? Will you go back soon?"

: "I dunno. It'd be lonely to head back by myself. I'll gather all of the kids and we'll head out."

:"Alright. That'd be good. ...So, Battler. You won't just be going to sleep that easily, right?"

: "Yeah, I'll probably be up talking with the cousins. Sound like we'll be up all night, doesn't it? We'll have to do something about that."

Apparently, Kyrie-san was thinking the same thing.

'What are you talking about?' She asked him in a small voice.

...Anyhow, it looked like Kyrie-san also didn't have a clue what Dad was talking about.

: "...I also want to talk to Kyrie about it. ...I'll tell you later, so don't ask now. Please."

: "...?"

I don't think there's anyone who ignores their family as much as this old bastard.

...And this was the guy that was asking us to have a talk as a family.

...Both Kyrie-san and I couldn't help but get wide-eyed.

: "Don't make that scared looking face. I'm the one that should be scared. ...Anyways, ..."

At that point, he swallowed his words for an instant.

...Even though putting on airs of importance wasn't much like my dad.

...Well. Seems someone's connected the epitaph and letter after all. And is actually taking this poo poo seriously.

Dad's expression, brightly illuminated by the lightning, was burned into my eyes.

Dad face, which always looked so sure of itself and which always wore a taunting expression, ...was for some reason that I couldn't explain, strangely frail.

It was so worn out that he looked like a different person.

: "...I'm going to go fix my makeup. Don't follow me."

Dad turned away, weakly.

After that, only Kyrie and I were left, still wide-eyed.

: "What did he say...? Tonight, he'll be killed? You don't think that mysterious letter scared him? Hasn't he been watching too many serial murder movies?"

: "...Hmmmmmmmm."

Kyrie-san didn't answer my lighthearted words, and continued to stare at my dad's disappearing back...

: "...Battler-kun, when you told Rudolf-san to say something, he left without telling us anything. Even though he said that he had something to say to everyone, he didn't answer you. Why? ...Turn the chessboard over. ...And when you do?"

: "There's the contradiction that he said he wanted to talk but then couldn't. ...What, can you see anything by looking from Dad's perspective?"

: "Fufufu, can great detectives deduce the emotions and feelings between men and women? They can't, right? Figuring out the feelings of the opposite sex is an even more advanced art than exposing the tricks in difficult crime cases. If you ask me, romance novels have much deeper mysteries than masterpiece mystery novels."

: "I, ...I see. Is that how it is..."

: "I stand alongside that spoiled brat. ...He normally loves to bluff, but tonight he's completely tired out from that heated discussion. He probably wants someone to lean on at the moment. And responding to that need is the duty of his partner."

: "Ha--. Sounds passionate. Then I'll leave that old bastard in your hands."

...And having been told to follow Rudolf and force an answer out of him, Battler...ignores it and leaves him to Kyrie.

Battler is not a very good detective...

: "Yes, leave it to me."

I called out to Kyrie-san's departing back.

: "...Huh? What?"

: "Um, I wanted to say thanks. Thanks to you, my gloomy mood has cleared up a lot."

: "That's good. Communication is important."

After answering with a wink, Kyrie-san followed after Dad...

...Wait a second. Look at the backgrounds. And then look back. They've been the same all the way through, and there's no mention of either Battler or George leaving the room at any point. Yet George apparently has...taken no notice of or interest in Rudolf dramatically announcing that he's probably gonna die either.

Maybe it's not just Battler. Maybe this entire family, save perhaps Rudolf, has the survival instincts of
lemmings.

The discussion that had just taken place between the relatives in the dining hall was repeating itself inside Natsuhi's mind...

...In other words, she planned to undermine the absolute guarantee that Krauss, as the oldest brother, had to succeed the family head.

Originally, the other siblings had absolutely no chance to succeed the head.

To them, this 'proposal' by Beatrice was extremely desirable.

It was obvious that they would accept Beatrice's proposal.

...There was no need to play that clumsy detective game. She knew that this so called 19th person, Beatrice, couldn't exist.

Devil's Proof, Natsuhi! You can't prove that!

Most likely, one of the servants had given Maria the letter.

Kinzo had probably worked out an elaborate plan where the dress from the portrait would be prepared, ...and someone, probably Shannon, would be made to wear it and deliver the letter and the umbrella.

By doing that, he could make it seem like the witch from the portrait actually existed.

...No, if anything, from that alone you could conclude that Kinzo was behind all of this.

...Now it was certain.

Kinzo had listened in on the siblings' discussion in the parlor earlier that day.

So he had known how Krauss had staved off the attack by the other three, and to make the scales of the battle go back into balance, he had sent out this strange letter which benefited the other three.

He was trying to push this crazy theory so that Rosa, who had a weak position among the siblings because of her age, and Eva and Rudolf could join together, and with three against one, could overwhelm Krauss yet again.

...And by doing that, he gave them the power to resettle what had once been a nearly decided conflict. They had now started repeatedly pressing Krauss to pay them a large amount of money...

Using the condition that all of the siblings would guarantee Krauss the succession to the family head, talk about the advance payment which had once been denied was being brought up again.

Therefore, even if they weren't that interested in the gold itself, Kinzo had managed to instill the lifelong fear that, on the off-chance that someone found the gold, that person would be granted the position of family head.

And this kind of Achilles' heel would definitely be taken advantage of by someone sooner or later.

The only person with this fatal weakness was the successor to the head, Krauss.

...The other siblings had found, ...no, they had been told by Kinzo about something that only Krauss could lose, and they had thoroughly taken advantage of that.

Krauss had always told Natsuhi.

He had told all of the siblings.

He always, always said that the hidden gold was nothing more than an illusion created by Kinzo.

Therefore, Natsuhi had believed that as his wife, and on that foundation had supported her husband.

Even so, Natsuhi's words didn't reach Krauss.

It had happened when everyone decided to take a short break to cool their heads.

Natsuhi had flared up against Krauss.

Enraged, she had asked why she could not be useful to him.

...He had then told her that he wanted to talk about something, and invited her into a room that she was normally not allowed to enter.

That room had been sealed with a heavy-looking padlock, and just looking at it had given her an uncomfortable feeling...

Krauss removed the padlock on the door.

He then motioned for Natsuhi to enter.

: "Enter."

: "Wha, ...what is this?"

: "There's something I want to show you. ...This is the first time I've shown it to anyone."

Natsuhi timidly opened the door with a dubious expression on her face...

It was pitch black.

She searched for a switch to turn on the lights, but since this was her first time in the room, she didn't know where it was.

Krauss entered behind her, pushing her in, and when he closed the door before turning on the lights, the two were swallowed up by the darkness.

Only the sound of Krauss locking the door rang out through the dark.

: "...Th, that is...?"

Natsuhi had her breath taken away.

The room had no windows, and at a glance, it appeared to be empty.

In the middle of the room, a small, round table had been set, and the lights brightened only that table, as if it were the leading part in a play.

On top of the table, a red tablecloth of elaborate design had been set out, covered with dust, ...and on top of that, 'something' about the size of a grown man's arm had been set down.

...That something took Natsuhi's breath away.

As a point of trivia, 100% pure gold is apparently ridiculously impractical to get in significant amounts. 99.99% is as close as it gets, generally. 'Course, that's for mundane means. A reality bending godwitch like Beatrice could presumably churn out massive amounts of completely pure gold with ease. Though she apparently remained within the limits of what human technology can produce, for whatever reason.

It was a ingot of solid gold.

Even in the faint light, it sparkled with a noble and dignified gold glint...

: "This is not a proper ingot. I don't even know whether it was cast inside or outside the country."

It took a high level of skill to make the purest of solid gold ingots.

And in order to verify that purity, it was standard to have the original foundry and the name of the bank that guaranteed it imprinted on the gold.

...However, this ingot did not have that kind of seal. ...This mysterious gold bar had come from an unknown foundry.

: "Right there."

Krauss pointed at the surface of the ingot.

...Natsuhi concentrated on that section...

: "...!!"

Right there was the thin imprint of the One-winged Eagle crest! Natsuhi's breath was taken away once again.

: "It actually exists. ...The gold that Ushiromiya Kinzo received from Beatrice actually exists."

Or at least one ingot of it does. It is still within the realm of possibility that they got one authentic ingot and got the president to agree that there were totally another 10 tons worth of them.

: "How could...! H, ...how could it really exist..."

Natsuhi was shocked...

Krauss had always said that Kinzo's gold was just a fabrication.

So she had believed it as his wife.

...But to Natsuhi, this truth was more than enough to split open her heart.

She had thought that, as Krauss's wife, she should be his closest confidant, which was why she had been selflessly supporting him.

...And yet, he had hid this fact from her until today. ...Why?

: "...Ha, ...have I been, ...so undeserving of your trust...?"

: "...I didn't mean it like that. It was only that there was no need to mention it."

: "I, ...is that all a, ...a wife means to you...?!"

Krauss grimaced, looking annoyed...

His expression effectively communicated how much he disliked this part of Natsuhi...

This fuckin' guy. There is just no situation Krauss cannot somehow manage to be smug about.

: "That's wrong!! This is the Ushiromiya family's problem! It's true that I am not permitted to have the family crest imprinted on my body! But I am still your wife!! Even so, ...are you saying I'm not capable of helping you...?! Are you...!!!?"

: "...I especially wouldn't want to risk getting you involved. It would probably make your headaches even worse than they are now. Take a rest for today. The siblings will deal with the siblings' problems. It has nothing to do with you. That is all."

...Even if I am Natsuhi, ...I am not Ushiromiya Natsuhi.

As a borrowed womb, I am despised, ...and abused for not even being able to take care of that, ...even so, I have tried to properly perform the duties of a wife, ...but have been rejected even by my husband.

I did my best as though raising my daughter was the last job left to me...

...However, my anger and sadness, having no place to go, caused me to subconsciously strain that relationship too...

Because I have been excessively strict in Jessica's education, I am thoroughly disliked by her.

Jessica despises me for not being interested in anything but grades.

First we had all the branches hating each other, now they're all falling apart internally within the first evening. And we've even got the cousins added to the web of hate now!

...There is no longer, ...anything I can do for the Ushiromiya family...

No, ...that's no good.

Even so, I must help my husband dislodge the schemes of the other greedy siblings.

In the days to come, that greedy Ushiromiya Eva will probably be plotting to find some fault with the main family, so that if all goes as she plans, Jessica will be dragged down from the succession, with George in her place.

...It is regrettable, but George is a man, and even more, has matured as a person.

...Compared to Jessica, who is right in the middle of her rebellious period and whose grades are slightly below average, it can be seen at a glance who is more fit to succeed the head.

You're thinking about this all wrong, Natsuhi. Neither of them are fit for it. Clearly, the only descendant truly suited for the spot is the one who's got basically the same qualifications Kinzo had for the job:
-From the branch least likely to have a shot at the succession
-Prone to flipping the gently caress out with little to no provocation
-Obsessed with the occult in general and Beatrice in specific
-Does not operate by earth logic

: Uu-! More absinthe! Uu-!

It's obvious, really. And surely there's no way handing absurd amounts of wealth and power over to an autistic child could possibly go wrong!

So in order to secure Jessica's position, I need to turn her into an excellent person.

After doing that, ...I want to find her an excellent husband worthy of the excellent person she will have become.

...A wonderful man who will truly accept Jessica, and stay with her through all of life's joys and sorrows.

She had tried to block that from her memory.

...She had consciously forgotten that, and had actively attended to the life she had been given as Ushiromiya Natsuhi...

And had built up a new life.

...But, ...it felt like, ...just now, all of that had been casually rejected.

: "...How should I think as I live my life? ...I don't know."

Natsuhi helplessly rested her head against the glass of the window...

The glass, which was cool thanks to the raindrops beating against it, was somehow refreshing. Even though it should have been emotionless, ...right then it seemed to be the only thing that could understand Natsuhi...

At that point, even if someone had appeared, Natsuhi probably wouldn't have cared in the state she was in.

...But she did care.

...Because it was her beloved daughter.

: "...Jessica. I'm sorry, Mom's headache is awful. Please leave me be."

: "...Really..."

Jessica was slightly disconcerted when she first spotted her mother's feebleness.

Until just now, she had been filled with contempt for all of the parents, including her mother.

...But now, only a tiny bit of those feelings remained.

...All of it had been wiped out by her mother's completely exhausted face.

...Or maybe not yet. Eh, I'm sure the cousins'll work their way into the clusterfuck properly eventually.

...Couldn't her mother have been standing around in this dimly lit hallway because no one had tried to understand that...?

Jessica didn't like her mother.

...So it would be hard to give her mother words of kindness even if she looked a little frail...

Therefore, when she tried to talk to her mother kindly anyways, she had to gather up the words from deep in her heart, both fists clenched.

Natsuhi was not being unsociable.

...She just wanted her daughter to go far away so that she didn't have to bump into Natsuhi's own short temper.

...But there was no chance that her intentions would reach Jessica.

: "...Y, ...yes."

Jessica hung her head, looking sad.

...Looking at that expression, Natsuhi realized that Jessica was trying to muster up the strength to be kind to her mother.

She gave her head a small shake to drive away her own unkind feelings...

: "Then I'll, ...leave. ...I'll be with the other cousins so I don't get in the way of the adults. ...See you later..."

: "...Wait there."

She called Jessica, who was trying to leave and looked lonely, to a stop.

: "...You were worried about me. I'm alright now. ...I will go."

'If I stay here any longer, my feeble expression would actually make my daughter feel more uncomfortable.'

...Thinking this, Natsuhi left Jessica with words of gratitude and made to depart.

...This time, Jessica called out to her mother's back.

Natsuhi stopped and turned around, asking what business Jessica had with her.

But Jessica herself didn't know why she had stopped her mother, ...and for a while, she smiled wryly、muttering to herself as she hesitated over what to say

She was poking around in her pocket when her hand touched something, and she took it out.

It was the scorpion charm that Maria had given her by the beach that day.

Although she had heard of its various effects from Maria, right now, Jessica's mind was blank, and she was just barely able to say even that much.

Jessica, thinking that her mother probably wouldn't accept it anyway, immediately drew back the hand she had stuck out, grasping the charm.

...So when Natsuhi came back to take it, she was extremely shocked...

: "...What is this? Some kind of giveaway...?"

: "W, well it's, I think it's something like that... You couldn't really expect a charm that looks like a toy to be effective..."

Dunno how well the protective bit works, but can verify that they are not, in fact, an effective source of infinite money.

Next time, world economy. Next time...

But her mother grasped that hand and accepted the scorpion charm.

: "Thank you. I'll take good care of it. ...Sometime soon, in exchange, why don't I give you a charm that was important to me when I was a child?"

: "...I, it's not like that's why I gave it to you. ...But, well, ...if you really say so..."

: "Then I will rest for now. My headache is awful. ...Try not to stay up too late."

: "Sure..."

Next time: The stage is set, a couple is brought together, and Beatrice makes a slightly more direct appearance.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

So if Beatrice is one of the 18, is (somewhat) respected by Kinzo, and has some access to Kinzo himself...
Nanjo is totally Beatrice. :v:

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I really appreciate scenes like that, where you just see the family members interacting. While the beginning of Episode 1 can be slow at times, it had a lot of great character-setting moments.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Ah, another staple of Umineko: Natsuhi getting screwed over. Krauss is just the worst husband ever.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
The night sets, the stage of endless madness begins. There are a couple of things thrown at us that we will end up using as a base for what will happen next.

The anime series will help, a little bit, in solving some of the stuff that will show up later, though don't link anything here cause it got recently licensed, so we will settle with MS paint drawings or something to get the point through.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BlackPersona posted:

So if Beatrice is one of the 18, is (somewhat) respected by Kinzo, and has some access to Kinzo himself...
Nanjo is totally Beatrice. :v:
Kinzo is Beatrice.

You need to respect hisher life choices.

LeeDless
Mar 28, 2010
Good lord, we're almost three months into this LP and we're not even half-way through the first episode.

Silver did you appreciate the gargantuan task ahead of you when you started this LP? You could be at this for another two years.

Still, god speed.:rubshands:

PoliteMachineGun
Oct 5, 2011

They noticed me!
Covet this, fools!
I've been meaning to pick this up for a while, glad someone is LPing it. This last update makes me feel all kinds of sorry for Natsuhi. It sounds like she really got the short end of the stick. It's not right for her to try to live through her daughter, but it's at least understandable.

Also, crackpot theory out of nowhere for shits and giggles: Maria is Beatrice now. The original Beatrice is dead and Maria is her replacement. The original Beatrice saw her interest in the occult and passed on her tools, including a copy of Kinzo's seal and the envelopes, for extra havoc-making. Because Kinzo is a dick, basically.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
My greatest regret about this series is not bothering to really think about the mysteries the first time I read. It's going to be fantastic to watch the goon hive-mind have at it - it's the only way I can even slightly imagine the Epitaph being solved before it's spelled out in plain sight. Looking forward to an elegant night week ten thousand year long LP. You might have to have a megathread from the sheer amount of content you're going to be posting and the constant theorizing, man.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

klapman posted:

My greatest regret about this series is not bothering to really think about the mysteries the first time I read. It's going to be fantastic to watch the goon hive-mind have at it - it's the only way I can even slightly imagine the Epitaph being solved before it's spelled out in plain sight. Looking forward to an elegant night week ten thousand year long LP. You might have to have a megathread from the sheer amount of content you're going to be posting and the constant theorizing, man.

I think there will be more moderation about it as well, cause I do know of places that they go wild about it and just can't accept other people's theories.

That is quite sickening sometimes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't see why there'd be much theorizing.

They're all going to be murdered by a witch. :colbert:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Perhaps everybody is Beatrice. She is more of a subconscious influence that coerce Krauss to discover the ingot, Kinzo to throw out his ring, whoever to write the letter and give it to Maria, Maria to read the letter and so on.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
(Higurashi spoilers, not Umineko spoilers) That'd be a little too close to Hinamizawa syndrome, don't you think? Personally, I'm hoping she's just an actual person that tempts everyone into killing eachother.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

The Gold scene is one of my favourite small scenes in episode 1 for its inclusion and showing that the gold is actually real...I think. I haven't got through all of the episodes but I am interested if anyone else eventually finds some of the Gold.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Walterion posted:

I think there will be more moderation about it as well, cause I do know of places that they go wild about it and just can't accept other people's theories.

That is quite sickening sometimes.

I've only finished the first EP but putting together my own notes on the situation has already made me unwilling to accept anyone else's explanations.

Also, really can't wait for this thread to catch up so I can start pontificating about why Battler is the best.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

LeeDless posted:

Good lord, we're almost three months into this LP and we're not even half-way through the first episode.

Silver did you appreciate the gargantuan task ahead of you when you started this LP? You could be at this for another two years.

Still, god speed.:rubshands:

Oooooh yes. I'd kinda expected to get through at least these early bits faster, but alas, things didn't work out quite right for that. Even if they had, though, was definitely expecting this to be a long one. Two years might even be a bit toward the low end, depending on how much I can pick up the pace down the line.

Next update should be up tomorrow night. Have more exams coming up through the next two weeks or so, but I've got enough readied that I should be able to weather this round without falling behind again. Definitely without another sudden near-month-long disappearance.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Part Thirteen: A Dark and Stormy Night

At that point, Jessica returned.

Her face was still blank, but it looked like she had calmed down a little since she had left.

: "...Is Maria still in front of the portrait?"

: "Nope. She just came back, and she's sleeping over there on the sofa. It is getting pretty late for her."

Looking at the clock, it was a little past 10:00 PM.

...Even if we were going to stay up all night, it was about time to head back to our room.

After we discussed that, Rosa oba-san came into the parlor.

She was looking all over restlessly, probably trying to find Maria.

: "Rosa oba-san, if you're looking for Maria, she's over there on the sofa."

: "Thank you. My, she's out cold. ...We must move her to a bed."

: "If you would like, I'll carry her over to a bed."

: "Really. Then I wonder if you wouldn't mind taking Maria with you. ...I think it will be much more comforting if all of the cousins are together."

It seemed that, in the shadow behind those words, there was some regret that the adults, herself included, had deeply hurt Maria's feelings...

: "Leave it to us, Oba-san. After all, we do have an expert at comforting Maria with us!"

: "A, are you talking about me? I couldn't do it myself. We'll need everyone together."

: "That's right. Battler, weren't you the one who hit it off with Maria when you were messing around earlier?"

As we said this, Rosa oba-san smiled, looking truly happy.

: "Hey, Maria, did you have a good sleep...? We're going back to the guesthouse~."

Maria muttered something indistinct and fell back asleep.

...It looked like she was sleeping deeply.

: "She's really out cold. It'd be bad to wake her."

: "Right, I'll carry her."

It was raining hard outside, and Aniki couldn't hold an umbrella and carry Maria at the same time.
It looked like Rosa oba-san would come with us as far as the guesthouse to help out.

However, when she heard Krauss oji-san's voice call out to her, she had no choice but to return.

: "...That's too bad. I have to go back now."

: "...Is everyone returning to the guesthouse?"

After we left the hall on the way to the entrance, the door to the servants' room opened and Shannon-chan stepped out.

As we opened the front door, the downpour was quite terrific.

It looked like we wouldn't have any spare time to take a pleasant walk and enjoy the nighttime rose garden...

: "Aniki, is she too heavy? Want me to carry her?"

: "It's alright. I can at least carry Maria-chan."

: "...I'm truly grateful. Please take care of Maria."

: "Right, we understand. In that case, goodnight, Oba-san."

: "Then I will see them over there and return here."

: "Yes, please..."

Rosa oba-san saw us off.

: "...Maria...I'm sorry for everything..."

Rosa's mumbling voice didn't reach the person in question, nor anyone else, but disappeared beneath the sound of the rain...

After cutting through the rainy rose garden, we arrived at the guesthouse.

: "C'mon, quit babbling and go in!"

After being nudged by Jessica, Shannon folded up her umbrella and went into the guesthouse.

: "Has anyone gotten their clothes wet? I can bring some towels if you want..."

: "You don't need to worry about us that much. Thank you, Shannon-chan."

: "That's right. We were saying earlier that we would play some cards, do you want to stay with us for a while?"

: "Huh? Who had the night shift on today's schedule?"

: "I believe there has been a special schedule during the family conference. I think there were a few changes, so I will go and check..."

:"Wait, if you have to go all the way back to the mansion to find out, don't force yourself."

: "Ah, it's alright. I can find out from the servants' room in the guesthouse. ...Please excuse me for a short while."

Shannon-chan gave a quick bow and went into the guesthouse servants' room.

We got some drinks out of the room's refrigerator, and spent some time playing cards while drinking...

: "...Hmm. Gohda-san has been changed to the night shift at the mansion. You and Kanon have the night shift in the guesthouse. Kumasawa-san and I have been ordered to spend the night in the guesthouse... Just now, a phone call came, saying that you are also to remain here."

: "Huh...? Th, that's quite a large modification... The shifts at the guesthouse and the mansion have almost been completely reversed, haven't they...?"

: "...It's probably because of Beatrice-sama's letter."

: "...Why probably?"

: "When such a mysterious letter appeared, it was only natural that Krauss-sama would suspect one of us. ...We serve directly under the Master, so Krauss-sama tried as best he could to keep us far away from the family conference."

Because of this, they were often viewed by Krauss and the others as Kinzo's underlings and shunned.

In reality, Kinzo would seldom let anyone other than them enter his study.

You could probably say this sudden shift change clearly expressed the sense of mistrust that caused.

Considering the time Kinzo had left to live, this would definitely be the last family conference before the problem of the inheritance would come up.

On top of that, the mysterious letter that claimed to be from Beatrice had dropped in out of the blue.

Krauss definitely wanted to keep Kinzo's loyal subjects away from the table of such a delicate and important discussion...

:""Yes, certainly, Genji-sama.""

Genji nodded back, went behind a screen, took off his jacket, and slowly began to relax after a day's worth of tension...

: "...The ones who just returned now, were they the children...?"

: "Yes. The other relatives are having a conference in the mansion. It looked like it would drag on until much later..."

: "...That would be comfortable. It's already this late, and there's this weather. Probably, the rest of the relatives will spend the night in their rooms in the mansion."

: "Yes, probably... I'm only saying this because Genji-sama isn't around, but I'm a little happy I was sent to the guesthouse...I think..."

: "...I see. Then, let's do our best together with our midnight shift. I'm counting on you, Nee-san."

: "Ah, ...umm... Just now, I was asked to go to the children's room and play with them..."

Shannon hung her head apologetically, ...gazing at Kanon uncertainly.

Kanon didn't try to meet her eyes, and spoke curtly as he sighed.

It looked like he didn't plan on indulging his 'sister'.

: "...In that case, the children will be waiting for you. You will have to apologize and tell them that you have the night shift and won't be able to stay with them. ...Go and come back."

: "Huh, ...ah, yes! I'll go apologize and come back..."

Shannon hurriedly stood from her seat before her brother's mood could change, and flew out of the servants' room after giving a quick bow...

As he watched her back go, Kanon took a single deep breath...

Genji's voice came from beyond the screen.

: "...Kanon. ...I will be here, so you can go too."

: "Genji-sama...Shannon was the only one called. It's not like I was invited..."

: "That is only because you were not there at the time. If you had been, you would have been invited as well. ...It is good to play as a child from time to time."

: "...No, that's not something that I need to do. ...Kids who are people may have a need to play, but ...we are...only furniture."

: "...Is that so."

Genji did not say anything after that.

...After a while, he stood up and used a pot of hot water to make powdered cocoa, and served some to Kanon as well.

His voice caused Maria to turn over once, but she soon fell back into a deep sleep...

Jessica gave him a jab, and he lowered his voice.

: "Still, seriously..., now that I've heard about it, they really did have that kind of atmosphere, didn't they...Haa, now I see, that George-aniki..."

: "...Yeah, they've really been showing signs for a long time, haven't they? Asking what the other person liked, asking what their hobbies were. And somehow thinking they could pass it off as nothing more than a passing interest!?"

: "Come to think of it, I get the feeling that George-aniki has always been overly nice to Shannon-chan... No-w I get it..."

: "Hahaha, I already knew that the typhoon would be coming beforehand. Just in case, I made sure that I didn't have any plans for Monday, so it's all right. ...I may not look like it, but I really am the type who can plan ahead in his schedule."

George puffed out his chest, acting proud.

Compared to the normally calm appearance that George always had as the oldest cousin, he now looked amusingly like a little kid.

Shannon chuckled at this gap.

: "It's no surprise that someone who will soon make his company prosperous is so well prepared."

: "...Well, making a company prosperous really is a tough job. Money isn't the only thing that's important. I learned that well by studying from my father. Making a company prosperous is like having a castle and leading your subordinates.”

: "Is that true? That's a little unexpected."

: "In order to unite his troops, Shingen utilized several strategies. For example, when a soldier succeeded well in battle, he would immediately honor them with a medal. Normally, that kind of thing was put off until after the war and they were all awarded at once. He also worked diligently while on the field of battle, and when he immediately showed his appreciation for his troops' military exploits, he motivated them in an extremely significant fashion. After that, whenever one of his troops was brought down by an illness, he would be the first to rush up to them and care for them, things like that. ...Takeda Shingen wasn't just the man who led the strongest calvary corps in the warring period. He was the person who cared the most for his troops throughout the warring period."

: "...Since he was that kind of person, all of his troops went along with him."

The truth was, Shannon had already heard this story several years ago.

...But when George started to tie his father in with one of these stories, he would always be beaming, looking like he was having a great time.

So Shannon just smiled without interrupting, urging him to continue.

: "George-sama, you truly look up to your father... I'm jealous."

: "A, ah, sorry..., that's not exactly the way I meant to say it."

: "I, I am sorry..., I also didn't mean it that way..."

The two of them awkwardly looked at their feet.

Yes. Kinzo runs an entire orphanage that exists solely to provide him with minions. That is a thing.

Minions with code names who are loyal only to each other and Kinzo.

The odds that they double as elite ninja or something of the sort are roughly 517%.

...However, there were not many servants who stayed with the Ushiromiya family for long.
It was standard for them to quit after three years.

At which point they go out into society and become sleeper agents, just waiting for orders to come in from Rokkenjima...

So you could probably say that Shannon, who had been working for over ten years, was an exception to an exception to the rule.

Working as a servant for the Ushiromiya family was a heavy burden to bear, but the pay wasn't bad at all.

Working for a full three years would earn more than what was needed to enter mainstream society.

That was why, even though the graduates from the orphanage realized what a harsh task working for the Ushiromiya family was, they still hoped to be accepted.

Maybe the fact that Shannon had managed to continue for more than ten years shouldn't be viewed as her having more willpower than any of the other servants.

Maybe she was made to continue working for ten years because she didn't have the courage to say that she wanted to quit.

: "Have you continued working to try and meet some target sum?"

: "...Y, ...yes, that's right. ...I have nowhere to go outside of this mansion. ...I have been getting along well with Milady and the other servants' children, too...I am sometimes scolded by Madam, but, ...caring for the rose garden and cleaning the mansion is fun..."

: "Even after becoming an adult and a full-fledged member of society, I've been studying and I've learned something. ...A human's life is not as monotonous or short as we thought when we were kids."

When they are students, everyone has certain fears that they can't shake.

...Wondering whether they will live the rest of their lives like they were in sleepy classes after a monotonous and boring school day, spending their time in a carefree laziness without anything interesting happening until it was all over...

However, these thoughts will only arise while a person is still an underage student.

Compared to a human's life, the time they spend as a student is nothing more than a blink of the eye, a period where they break through the shells of their immaturity.

The inside of the shell might be a hot, suffocating and boring world, but the world beyond that shell is vast and filled with limitless possibilities.

Shannon couldn't deny those words.

...She hadn't been able to doubt her way of life, and since she never had any hope or goal to change herself, she had continued her life of idleness.

...And if she were asked whether this life was satisfying, ...she wouldn't have been able to nod...

This might have caused her to avert her eyes from the truth.

...As long as she wasn't admonished by George, she would have continued pretending not to notice as her real life slipped away, neglected, bit by bit...

: "...George-sama...Should I not, ...continue living, ...this way?"

: "You must not. Ah, and by the way, didn't you break one of the rules just now?"

George immediately gave a strict answer, and then broke out into a mischievous smile.

Shannon already knew what she was being chided for, ...and it seemed that it embarrassed her, as she hung her head.

: "Didn't you promise not to use "sama" when the two of us are alone...?"

: "...I couldn't obey that as a promise. ...But, if it was an order, I would have to obey it... Because I'm, ...furniture."

: "Yes, that's fine, Sayo-chan."

A smile rose to George's face praising Shannon's, no, Sayo's small act of bravery.

Just watching this conversation would give anyone a feeling of how close their relationship was...

For a long while, the two talked as if the weather raging around them didn't even enter their consciousness. They talked about the many memories they'd built during their relationship that no one else knew about.

Every once in a while, a flash of lightning would slice through the rain, but this could sully neither the roses nor the time they spent blushing at each other...

George, who had been speaking eloquently, suddenly started to stutter.

Shannon also noticed something about his appearance.

George timidly searched through his pocket.

Something got caught in the depths of his pocket, and just like the stuttering George, it took a little while to get it out.

It was a very small box. A small box covered in a deep blue velvet.

...That peculiar shape was enough to make anyone realize what was resting inside.

Shannon had prepared her heart a little, thinking it must be something like that.

But even so, when she actually saw it, she couldn't avoid blushing once more...

George opened the small box, took that thing out..., and held it out for Shannon to take it.

: "Sayo. This is not a request. ...It's an order, okay? Accept this ring. ...Okay?"

: "Ha, ...u... I, ...I can't, ...disobey an order..."

: "Yes, that's right. ...Good girl."

...Honestly, the “ordering her to accept the ring” bit plus that last line make George come off kinda loving creepy here. Is it just me?

And here's a new thing the PS3 version added: CGs. Or, well, to be strictly accurate, extra CGs. The ones we've already seen, like the ingot, chessboard, and I'm like 99% sure the letter were all in the original, though they were redone by a better artist This is the first one that didn't exist at all in the original. Basically if it contains any people and isn't the portrait of Beatrice, it's probably something the PS3 added.

That ring wasn't a simple accessory.

...It was a noble object, which since ancient times was meant to be held with a special meaning and offered to a special woman.

...Therefore, while George could order her to take it, he could not order anything beyond that.

Anything beyond that would depend, not on an order, but on Shannon's, no, Sayo's own will.

: "...Err, ...H, ...how..."

: "I won't order you any more, so this isn't an order. ...But a ring is something you put on your finger. ...If you like it, you can just put it on any finger that you choose."

Shannon had only pretended not to know.

She had already understood what he wanted her to do.

...But she was standing at a huge crossroads of her life...

: "...Look how late it's gotten. Let's call it a day."

George faced away from Shannon, seeming slightly uncomfortable.

: "I probably can't order you to wear it on your left hand. You might be timid and dependent enough to actually obey that kind of an order. ...But I want this last part to be given by Sayo's own will. ...Understand?"

george you are really not helping your case here dude

...Today was the culmination of their long relationship.

...This moment had not come as any surprise to Shannon...

...However, after noticing that feeling, it wasn't as if he couldn't understand that she might be so embarrassed that she'd want to be alone.

So because George realized the meaning behind Shannon's lie, he accepted it.

But anyway, mildly creepy as it might have been, the happy couple is (probably) engaged now. Good for them.

So now the question is which one will be the first to die horribly.

And while the chapter ends here, the next one is extremely short, so we're just gonna plow straight through that too.

A mixture of exaltation and uncertainty gave her a feeling that she couldn't easily describe. It swelled up in her chest until it felt like she was about to burst.

After stopping for a second in front of the servants' room to take a deep breath and calm her heart, she opened the door.

: "...Umm, ...I was told by Genji-sama to help Gohda-san and came over."

: "Ah, really... Thanks a lot. I was just about to go make the rounds and close up the mansion, but there's no way I could leave this place empty. Anyways, Krauss-sama and the others' meeting looks as though it will continue for quite some time. They might order some tea at any time."

: "That's true... Then, what shall we do...? Should I watch over-"

: "In that case, Shannon-san, sorry, but would you please patrol the inside of the mansion? I will stay here, awaiting the family's orders."

: "Ye, ...yes..."

...Shannon was a little surprised.

Despite the fact that she had come here to help out as a favor, she was being forced to do the job of the person actually on duty as though it were natural.

Furthermore, after one-sidedly forcing that task on her, Gohda had once again gone back to his magazine and had become immersed in his crossword puzzle.

Because it had come fairly suddenly, the airy sensation that she had felt a little while ago had lessened a bit.

And she couldn't show this kind of face to Genji-sama and Kanon-kun.

Until her heart was able to calm down, she wanted a little time to herself, and maybe going on patrol wasn't such a bad way to do that...

From the dining hall, she began to hear the tumultuous voices of the family's discussion.

She had been told to go to the guesthouse, so it would be bad if she was discovered by Krauss.
Thinking that, Shannon quick-footedly left from the entrance to the dining hall.

Then, inside the mansion controlled by darkness, she began to check that the house was all closed up, following a prearranged route.

On Rokkenjima, there were no humans other than the family, so in actuality, closing up wasn't that terribly meaningful of a task.

Until Natsuhi had scolded them that this attitude was careless, closing up had not been customary in the Ushiromiya family.

The metal fixtures on the completely chilled windows were freezing, and every time she went to check one them, one-by-one, it felt like the glow in her heart seemed to cool down.

: "...?"

Beatrice's true form is revealed: she's really a swarm of murderous butterflies.

At that time, she thought she saw something flickering across the hall.

...Flickering?

Something like that shouldn't be visible beyond the darkness of the hall...

However, other than the occasional crack of thunder brightening the hallway, she was unable to glimpse any flicker again.

...It must have been her imagination after all.

Maybe because she couldn't calm her heart, she saw something that didn't even exist.

Shannon resumed checking the windows...

However, in the back of her mind, a certain unnerving imagination was resurrected.

...Well then. Looks like her presence is confirmed, then.

...Come to think of it, didn't Kanon-kun once say that he had seen it with his own eyes...?

...Could it possibly... really...?

The roar of the thunder gave no answer...

(clickable)
You should click that. This last little bit works much better in that form, I think.

It takes us through the rain...

And inside to stare at the portrait for a minute. Bells begin to ring.

And it goes through the entire cast. The siblings and spouses are holed up in the dining room, still busily trying to gently caress each other out of as much of the inheritance as possible.

Shannon is wandering the halls alone, locking up and hoping not to encounter Beatrice again.

The other servants are waiting in their break rooms. They could not be assed to use different backgrounds to indicate that Gohda is still in a different room (and building) than the other two.

Kumasawa is...somewhere? I think that lamp's been used for at least a couple different rooms.

Nanjo, meanwhile, has apparently....wandered off into a dark and formless void. Uh. 'Kay...

The cousins are screwing around in the guesthouse...

And Kinzo is, as ever, in his study, no doubt double-fisting absinthe bottles and ranting about Beatrice to no one in particular.

Natsuhi and Maria are not shown. Perhaps because they are sleeping, have no sprites for that, and they saw no need to make CGs for this. Or perhaps for more sinister reasons...

Only time will tell...

And then back to the portrait.

And so the first day on Rokkenjima finally draws to a close.

Next time: Finally some people die in this game about murder! And it only took three months and thirteen updates to get there!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh boy.

I can't wait. Let the blood flow.

Beatrice needs her sacrifices. :unsmigghh:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ahahaha.wav etc etc

I do quite like the end of day sequence, it's pretty creepy, as is a lot of episode 1 (in ways the others aren't).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Episode 1 is the most like Higurashi, I'd say.

Any more comments like that I won't get into for now.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Welp, that sure is a creepy power-abuse relationship George has there. And Kanon should make like a futon and not talk. His level of self-loathing is only matched by the level of loathing he apparently has for everyone else, which obviously means that if Maria doesn't pan out Kinzo should name him his successor.

Day 2 should be promising.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
IT BEGINS.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I somehow remember the engagement scene being a lot less creepy in the anime. Seriously George, that is not the start of a healthy relationship. :stare:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

I somehow remember the engagement scene being a lot less creepy in the anime. Seriously George, that is not the start of a healthy relationship. :stare:

That CG really doesn't help either... and neither do George's Gendo-glasses.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I really hope Jessica goes early. She is a worse character than than even Battler.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I hope Kinzo will die late. We need more of his absinthe-fueled crazy talk.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

I really hope Jessica goes early. She is a worse character than than even Battler.

Battler gets better once the game proper starts, which should be next update. And he's a lot better in general in the future episodes.

Anyways, I'm glad to see that the LP has finally got to the point where the crazy speculation I'm sure this thread will deliver will really begin.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
In terms of length, so provide an equivalence here, what you all previously read is exactly 1 episode, 14 minutes and 30 seconds in the anime. Which is not that bad, but it did really cut alot of background.

I'm debating about what so to in the next part, to aid a lil bit.

Edit:

Maybe related, but Nisa America anounced the preorder pack for the anime series. 103 dolars for the whole series + extra materials.

I guess it's not THAT bad.

Walterion fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 2, 2012

LeeDless
Mar 28, 2010
I played through the whole of Umineko in various states of inebriation and I don't remember who was killed in this episode.
So I'm looking forward to the next update.:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I managed to get at least one of the deaths ruined for me (Shortly before this LP was started) by looking at shocking scenes from a different VN and a different anime series on youtube and getting drawn into watching some compilations.

Still looking forward to seeing how we get there, though, since that should prove more than interesting enough.

• Locked thread