Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah Simmons

Sarah had remained in her cell longer than she was sure was necessary. The old-fashioned, solid metal doors had meant that even her new powers were useless. Not to mention a bad idea - she'd pissed off Wall Street enough. Case in point: she was here. "School". Hell, even this Frost woman had had the decency to admit it was a prison. And as far as Sarah was concerned (although an objective observer would probably laugh pretty hard, and then disagree) she was a political prisoner.

The opening speech was certainly dull enough to count as punishment. On the off chance it would ever be important, a part of her was recording the whole thing to Me://Documents/Boring crap that I will never ever need/OpeningSpeech.mp3. She was more focused on a bit of Coldplay. She knew that hearing music in your head was a good sign of mental illness, but figured there was probably an exception for streaming it from the iPod in your pocket.

The end of the speech was certainly welcome - and luckily she stayed in her seat just long enough to avoid the frightened stampede. Talking spiders? Well, they were pretty friendly. And she was in blue house too, so... great?

Standing up and stretching out her arms, she follows the last trailing arachnids up to the back of the room, and joins the small circle of girls there. She hesitates a moment when she hears what the hands are made of, but then toughens up and shakes the one nearest to her.

"Hey", she says. "I'm Sarah."

She points at each of them in turn. "Rickie, Tara, Anna, Cecilia - right?" Her attempt at a smile turns into a frown. "Shouldn't there be one more person?"

pre:
Full Name: Sarah Simmons

PL: 8
PP: 122/141 (19 spare)

Abilities:			[16]
Strength                1	[ 2]
Agility 	        2	[ 4]
Fighting 	        0 			 	
Awareness 	        0 			 
Stamina 	        1	[ 2]
Dexterity 	        2	[ 4]
Intelligence 	        2	[ 4]
Presence 	        0 			 

Offense:                        
Grab                    0
Throw                   2 
Unarmed                 0

Defense:                        [ 11]
Dodge             +5 =  7       [ 5]
Parry             +3 =  3       [ 3]
Fortitude               1
Toughness               3/1     
+2 from Defensive Roll 2
Will              +3 =  3       [ 3]

Initiative:             2

Skills:		  	        [20]
Acrobatics        +5 =  7 	[ 2.5]
Athletics         +5 =  6 	[ 2.5]
Deception         +7 =  7 	[ 3.5]
Insight           +2 =  2 	[ 1]	 
Investigation     +3 =  5 	[ 1.5]
Perception        +7 =  7 	[ 3.5]
Persuasion        +7 =  7 	[ 3.5]
Ranged Combat           2 	        
Stealth           +2 =  4 	[ 1]
Technology        +2 =  14/4 	[ 1] 

Advantages: 		        [ 6]
Benefit, Ambidexterity
Benefit, Human USB
Sarah can store data in her memory, so that it can be transferred between machines.
Defensive Roll 2
Eidetic Memory
Inventor
Move by Action
Skill Mastery: Technology
Gained from Data Link.

Powers:			        [64]
Data Link		        [13]
Enhanced Tech (+10), Enhanced Skill Mastery (Tech)
Increased Range 2 (Perception), Subtle 1
Limited: Electronics
Data Search	                [16]
Mind Reading 5
Cumulative, Effortless, Sensory Link, Subtle 1
Feedback, Limited (Electronics)
Digital Mind                    [ 4]
Comprehend 2 (Electronics)
Digital Awareness               [ 3]
Sense 3 (Electronics 2, Extended 1)
 (-1 at 100 feet, etc.)
Radio Scanner	                [ 6]
Communication 1 (Radio), Senses 1 (Radio)
Area
Technological Mimicry		[12]
Variable 2
Limited (Electronics - Requires study)
Forced Shutdown	                [14]
Nullify 7 (Electronics)
Increased Range (Perception)

Complications
Motivation: Justice
Sarah has a well developed sense of what is "right", and what is "wrong". She has
 a strong devotion to The Cause - although what exactly constitutes "The Cause" is
 a rather fluid definition. Child labor, Free Tibet, the Occupy movement...
 Sarah's focus has shifted over time, but she always manages to keep a small part
 of each fight she's moved on from. The end result is a wide view towards how the
 world is, and how it should be - both on an individual and global scale. 
Weakness: Digital Attacks
Sarah is a machine - but still only a biological one. This offers a degree of
 protection to her - EMPs, for example, affect her no more than any other person.
 Even a hacker would have trouble against her, as their attacks are guided by a
 human, and therefore of biological conception. However, purely digital entities -
 such as computer viruses or AIs - are wholly alien to Sarah. With no "immune
 system" to fight them off, they have the potential to wreak havoc with her mind,
 memories and body if she isn't careful.
pre:
Currently Mimicking: None
PP: 0/10 (10 Remaining)
Effects:
- None
pre:
Current HP: 5
Current Status: None

Staggy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Right, hi." So that made two of them who were... unconventional, in the looks departments. Plus Tara and Rickie with the flashy, obvious abilities - and potentially Cecilia. Unexpectedly, Sarah felt a tad boring, of all things.

"So... go Blue House?" She grins. "Was our 'Mother' enthusiastic or what?"

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"The Hulk?" Sarah's jaw drops. "Bull. poo poo. What'd she do, cheer him into submission?"

Well if that was true, it certainly explained why the 'school' was so confident on gathering them all together. Anyone who could bring down the freaking Hulk would have no problem with the lot of them - speaking of which...

"So..." She paused, unsure of how to go on. "I guess you might as well know, I can talk to machines. Phones, computers, all that stuff. I mean, it's not as obvious as wings and spiders and stuff. They're cool, by the way."

Awkward.

"Anyway..." She nodded her head towards the door. "We gonna go? Probably nicer to talk over in the House."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

A couple of the other girls disappear of up to their rooms once it's clear that the House Mother isn't around - Sarah joins them. Her room wasn't exactly well-furnished though - apart from the provided furniture there were just a few changes of clothes, her iPod, a few pens and some paper, and...

Huh. Was that really all she'd brought? There hadn't been much use for bringing the tent, so she'd left that with the Camp. Ditto the pots and pans, and all the accumulated junk. Apart from her music and some basic stationery, that was more or less the entirety of her room.

Feeling slightly annoyed, she returns to the communal area. Seeing that it was apparently English Lit 101, she scans the bookcase. The first title to jump out was Of Mice and Men - she vaguely recalled that title from an actual English Lit class, and so slid it from the shelf. Dropping onto an empty chair, she manages a weak grin for the others.

"Unpacking went quicker than I thought it would. Figured I'd catch up on some -" Quick glance down at the book. "- John Steinbeck. Should do until we get the TV anyway."

VVVVV D'oh. Edited, etc. Think iPod classic - last one before the touch/phone, so not even wifi. Just music and vids. VVVVV

Staggy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 6, 2012

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

A big blue family? Sarah doubted that was quite the best simile, given the number of horror stories she'd heard about mutants being disowned. Still, it sounded sincere enough - not that it mattered, given that the group seemed to be tearing itself apart already.

"So what's the goal here?" She raises a hand lazily into the air as she asks the question. "When do we get to leave? When we've got enough college credits? When we turn into model schoolgirls? I'd rather be here than in a cell, but at least there you know when you're getting out."

It was an honest question. The hint of insolence was more habit than anything else.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Right. So we stay here until Ms. Frost says we can leave. I'm with you -" Sarah nods her head towards Crystal, a fellow soul. "We're here until we're all good little girls - and it's not like we can fake that in front of Ms. Frost."

'Tabby' seemed honest enough, but that didn't help matters. 'Community service' or not, she was still a jailor.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Oh yeah, Magneto." Sarah sneers the name out. "Part of the population is inherently superior? A master race, maybe? Gee, that never goes badly."

She shakes her head in disbelief. "I'm no nazi. The idea that only overt fascists take political prisoners just lets our government get away with it more."

Well, at least Crystal seemed clued up. Sarah raises her hand for a high five - and hopes that she won't be left hanging.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"What, really?"

That certainly caught her off guard. She frowns for a moment, thinking. Then:
"Well that's even more hosed up. How the hell does he justify all of his crap after that?"

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

There wasn't really a comeback to that. Sara's stony silence was broken only by:

"Pepperoni and jalapenos, no mushrooms... please."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

There was a visible layer of grease on top of all the cheese - hell, you could practically see yourself in some of the larger pools. That doesn't stop Sarah from practically inhaling the first slice. Her last meal had been a long time ago, and it hadn't been so good.

"Hey, don't waste it." She waved a half-eaten slice to make her point. "Does look pretty gross though. It's practically a Buddha."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Yeah, I always get that joke wrong." Another bite, another pause while she savored the taste. No surprise that Tabby had been on the cheer squad. No surprise at all.

And as long as the puns were flying...
"So what, this guy had lactokinesis?"

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah grins at the sound of disgust, and reaches for another slice.

"Hey, not my fault you have a dirty mind."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Pushing the last crust of pizza aside, Sarah lazily raises her hand.
"Couple of things. First, I've gotta ask - how exactly are you going to do power classes? It's not like people here have got similar powers. Or is it just going to be breathing exercises and counting to 10 when we get pissed off, and not doing... whatever it is we do?

Oh, and second, I'm here because apparently only rich, white men are allowed to mess with the stock market. I'm hoping to 'gain' not going to prison."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Ok, now that - and that, and that," Sarah notes, pointing to a different display each time, "is really cool. I don't know what cyberpunk is, but it looks great!"

She gently prods the image of herself, pulling her hand back when it sinks into the 'fog'.

"Yeah, no offense Crystal, but your Dad sounds like a dick." A grin breaks out on her face. "I bet you gave him one hell of a shock."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Oh great. Her turn.

"Well," she begins, putting on a mock sing-song voice, "I let my radical political ideas drive me to attempt global economic terrorism."

Ok, this was too much. She holds back a laugh, and starts again in a more normal tone.
"Ok, seriously this time. I was with Occupy in New York. It was great and all, but it was starting to feel like nothing much was getting done - I mean, don't get me wrong, we got everyone talking. But what with the media spinning their bullshit and everything, it was getting a bit... frustrating. So when I realised what I could do, I figured it was time I actually did something."

While she talks, she chews on a left-over pizza crust.

"So I thought it over, and then it hit me - the Stock Exchange! I get in, mess things up a bit, and bring a bunch of rich old white men down a peg or two." She shrugs. "And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that meddling rent-a-cop. And his drat dog."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

If looks could kill... well, if Sarah's looks could kill. There was doubtless a girl somewhere in the school who's looks actually could. And given the school, had.

There was an unpleasant element of truth to what Tabby was saying. Ms. Frost had touched on it, and it was a doubt that had been growing in Sarah's mind ever since - the lack of a plan. Beyond 'Get inside Stock Exchange, Mess Stuff Up' there hadn't been much thought put towards what she had done. And as for the 'little guys' being hurt... she wasn't 100% sure that Tabby was telling the truth, but the idea certainly made her uneasy.

"I would have thought of something." As far as defenses went it was pretty weak. As far as bluffs went, it was even worse. "Something to protect the people who actually deserved protection. Some way of covering my tracks."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

The fire in her eyes somewhat dimmed, Sarah listens in silence while switching her attention back-and-forth between the various members of the room - Cecelia in particular. Her story was perhaps the hardest of all to believe - she simply didn't seem like a murderer.

"Yeah, write what you want," she says, in a rare moment of agreement with Tabby. "Doesn't bother me."

She raises an eyebrow at Crystal's request, and grins. "A horse? Really living up to the stereotype there."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Tornado country? Ok, Sarah was about 50/50 on Crystal just pulling her leg now.

"A TV? Something tells me such creative thinking won't exactly be tolerated."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Uh huh. Go Blue House." Sarah's voice almost drips with feeling.

"So how do we get these oh-so-precious points? Answering nicely in class, picking up litter, that sort of thing?"

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Suitably shot down, Sarah listened as the others rattled off their various hobbies. Football? Chess? Not to mention the obvious dramatic types in the room...

"You're really going all out to make this like a real school, aren't you." For once there wasn't a trace of sarcasm in her voice. "An honest to goodness school experience."

A hint of an edge crept back into her tone. "But Miss Frost can take her genteel and her ladylike and shove th- can forget them. I'm not going through finishing school here."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah gave a short burst of applause as Tara picked herself up off of the - thin air?

"Ok, that was cool - even if you did fall, I mean. How do you still enjoy it, after the whole 'training from hell' thing?"

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah nods along as Tara speaks. "Yeah, I get that. With the art, do you mean like weaving and tapestries and stuff? 'Cause I reckon with a bit of practice you could pull off 3d stuff, like sculptures."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah turns the timetable over and over in here hands. No sense in memorizing it - it's probably become an ingrained routine soon enough.

"An hour each of maths and science every day? After lunch?" She shakes her head. "I'm with you Cecilia. Prison sounds like a carnival compared to that."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"G'Night, Crystal." Sarah waves lazily with one hand, and stifles a yawn of her own with the other.

And then Tabby unloads. It's obvious that she'd been keeping it bottled up for a while - and given the tale that she unfolded, it was easy to see why. By the end, Sarah is looking away from the scene. Something in the House Mother's expression was a bit too... raw. And it was hard to think of her as the dreaded Authority Figure like that. Too hard.

"...night."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

The bed was comfy. Too comfy. After a long night's sleep Sarah was still reluctant to tear herself away from the mattress. In the end it was only the smell of food wafting up from below that forced her to move. She hadn't thought she'd be hungry after all the pizza he night before but her stomach said otherwise. Still yawning, she scrapes together the few books and things that the school had provided, and stumbled downstairs.

"Mornin'," she says, stifling a further yawn. "I slept good. Best night's sleep in months."

She actually manages to sit down with a plate of pancakes and bacon before she notices the mechanical rats scooting around the place. She frowns, and stares at the closest one as it makes a sharp turn around a stack of toast.

"I wasn't expecting that," she says to the others, still tracking the robot. "I wonder if they... Hey!" She taps the table next to her, and addresses the nearest robo-rat. "Come over here. What's your name then?" Her voice slips into a tone you'd normally hear addressed to a pet or small child.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Oh cool," Sarah says, staring at the little robot. Robot rats? Why not? It even sounded like a rat, although she wasn't sure what the point of that was. With a wave of her hand she gestures for it to trundle off, returning to its toast deliveries.

"Or me." Sarah turns back to the group. "I mean, unless they need cheerleaders I can't see us doing... well, whatever counts as a supersport." She takes a bite of her food. "You want my guess? We'll be running track and field or playing netball, same as any other school."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Yeah, but I reckon I could do regular cheerleading." Sarah twirls a forkful of food as she talks. "It's the super-powered stuff I can't do."

"Regular gym's fine." More food, more OJ. There wasn't just a lot of it, it was good too. "Guessing they just up the difficulty for the people who need it."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Huh?" Sarah glances quickly between the departing housemates - then it hits her. The time.

"Oh great," she moans, grabbing her bag and heading after Crystal and Anna.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

The opulence of the facilities wasn't lost on Sarah. Whoever had financed this place - Ms. Frost herself? - was loaded. Seriously loaded. A part of her wondered exactly how much was being wasted on running machines and rock-climbing walls, but held her tongue. She doubted anyone would appreciate a lecture this early on in the morning.

The other girls were... different. She realised that Blue house was surprisingly normal-looking, for the most part. Only two people with visible mutations - three, if Tara was feeling spider-y.

"Hey." She waves a cautious hand, matching Jean. "Yeah, we're Blue House alright. I'm Sarah. We were kinda running late... You seen the teacher yet?"

Her eyes keep on drifting back to the psychedelic skin girl.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

There was no way that she was keeping up with the stream of names from the hyperactive girl. Jean? Bo? They came too thick and fast for her to actually take them in.

Still, there was one thing she could keep up with. Sarah raises her arms in the air, palms open and facing Crystal - the universal sign for "Pass it to me!"

"Hey," she shouts, "come on then!"

Athletics 10 if necessary to catch!

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Go long?" Sarah had never been a huge football fan, but that was what they said. Right?

Regardless, she hurled the ball as hard as she could at Seren. Which, compared with some of the girls there, probably wasn't that hard.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

...and the Gym teach was almost stereotypical. Definitely all brawn - although Sarah held her tongue over any quip about lack of brain. The woman looked like she could benchpress the entire building.

Instead, Sarah turned and resigned herself to five laps. It wasn't exactly an insurmountable ordeal. She was sure she'd run that far before, although she couldn't exactly pinpoint when. Jerking her head to Crystal and Seren, her fellow pro-footballers, in a come on fashion, she settles into a moderate pace.

Still, five points, just like that. Maybe this TV would be easier to get than expected.

Athletics 6

Staggy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 26, 2012

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Breathing heavily, Sarah fell into line with the rest of the house. Criminals? Convicts? Well it was true, but it still felt like a slap in the face. The honesty was sort of refreshing though - at least Ms. Trauma here wasn't going to dodge around the whole 'this is a prison' thing.

Although the fighting aspect really caught Sarah off guard. At least it was only self defense. Still, she doubted that the wider world would be hearing about this particular aspect of their curriculum.

"Guess I don't have to worry about losing points for power usage," she mutters, settling down into position.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

It never ends. With what remains of her willpower and concentration, she begins the next set of arduous exercises.

She was tempted to remain stoic and unaffected - try not to let the gym teacher get to her. Her ragged breath put that plan squarely in the bin, so she settles for glaring at the teacher with all her worth. Lack of eye lasers be damned - she could at least try to will the Amazon dead with the power of her stare.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

She wasn't quite sure how she got through the last set of exercises. The mental image of the teacher's head bursting into flame had probably helped more than was psychologically healthy.

"Just... just give me a minute." The best part of any exercise was inevitably the end - and lying flat out on the floor was undoubtedly the best way to spend that time. She aches. Not as much as she thought she would, but still. She hadn't done anything this strenuous in a long time.

Pushing herself to her knees, then lumbering into a standing position, Sarah surveys the room. The floor was littered with girls still recovering. She wanders over to Cecilia and Tara, panting as she goes.

"You ok?" She offers a hand to her housemates. "Figures they can't all be like Tabby." Then, to the wider room: "Anyone else feel really bad for Purple house right now?"

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

God that felt good. Hot showers always did, but particularly after that sort of exercise.

Lounging against a wall while the others finish up, Sarah drums her fingers idly against her leg.

"Woo", she replies to Cecilia. "As long as we get to sit down and be treated like regular people, I can't wait."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"Regular people don't get told they need to know how to beat the crap out of people."

Something in the new group of girls makes Sarah unconsciously stand straighter and taller. Whichever House this was had something of a theme going on.

Forcing a smile, she follows Crystal forward. "And I'm Sarah. We're Blue House."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah folds her arms across her chest, defensively. Oh, so they were going to be like that, were they? Ana seemed nice enough, but snide comments? Outright insults? They were every bad posh-girl stereotype ever.

"Adara, Ana, nice to meet you. Oh I'm sorry -" She fixes her stare on the girl in designer clothes. "I didn't realise that bitching at complete strangers was how you said 'hello' where you from." The fake smile stretches wider. "If it makes you feel at home, I'm sure I can come up with a few things about you."

It figured. There was bound to be at least one stuck up bitch in the school.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Oh this one was a barrel of laughs.

Shoulder-to-shoulder with Crystal, Sarah pulls herself up as much as she can in front of the girl from Green House.

"She's not the one with a problem," she snarls angrily, fake smile gone. "Back. Off."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah tries to stare down the posh girl, who unfortunately is having none of it. That sort of snobbery looks straight through people at the best of times.

Still, as the previous class surges out and around them she tries to hold her ground. Once people begin moving in, however, she breaks away. Taking a seat towards the middle of the room - not too far forwards, not too far back - she dumps her stuff. While the rest of the room is still getting seated, she scribbles a brief note on a torn-off corner of her notebook, tossing it to Crystal.

pre:
"What a bitch!"

• Locked thread