Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Patricia Asher

After a thorough exploration of the grounds, Rickie felt okay only paying half attention to Ms. Frost's introductory spiel. Can't leave, got it. Work together, got it. Ten points for Gryffindor, got it. Wait, did she say supervillains? Oh boy, Fox is going to have a field day with this. Well, that's a reason to work for that TV. Slider, Slider... I should know that name. Something to do with the Hulk? And we're Blue House, so it's more like we're Hufflepuffs. Or was it Ravenclaw? I can never keep those two straight.

As Emma wraps up and the girls start to filter out, Rickie remains spacing out until a spider pops up next to her and proclaims itself to be Tara. And in her house. Momentarily stunned, the artist simply follows it as it joins a whole HELL of a lot more spiders to turn into a girl.

"That..." She pauses just long enough for Tara to get nervous, with theater-perfect timing, "Is SO COOL!"

"Blue House! Blue House? Blue House." She points at each of the girls in turn, then holds up a hand for a high-five. Five hands, in fact, each except for her normal hand a different bright color.

"I'm Patricia. Call me Rickie."

---

pre:
Name: Patricia Asher (Feeling colorful)
Height: 4' 10"
Weight: 147 lbs.
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Brown
Skin: Caucasian

PL 9
Power Points: 134/135
Abl 26 + Def 15 + Skl 38 + Adv 12 + Pwr 43 = 134

Abilities:			26 points
STR 1			2 points
STA 2			4 points
AGL 2			4 points
DEX 2			4 points
FGT 0			0 points
INT 2			4 points
AWE 1			2 points
PRE 3			6 points

Offence:
Initiative: +2
Melee +0
Ranged +3

Defence:				15 points
Toughness     	+9/2 = (sta) + 0 (+7 Defensive Roll)
Fortitude	+6 = (sta) + 4
Dodge		+7 = (agl) + 5
Parry		+0 = (fgt) + 0
Will		+7 = (awe) + 6

Skills:				38 points
Name				Total	Rnk	PP
Acrobatics			+6	4	2
Deception			+17	14	7
Expertise
	Art			+14	12	6
	Current Events		+6	4	2
	Pop Culture		+10	8	4
	Theater			+6	4	2
Insight				+7	6	3
Perception			+12	11	5½
Persuasion			+13	10	5
Ranged Combat (Splat!)		+5	3	1½

Advantages:				12 points
Daze (Deception)
Defensive Roll 7
Ranged Attack 2
Set-Up
Taunt

Powers:				43 points

Illusion (Visual) 9 Ranks		40 points
Color Control
Total Cost: 4/Rank+4		Base Cost: 2/Rank
Action:	Standard		Save: Will (DC 18)
Range: Perception		Duration: Concentration
Extras: Illusion Area (15-ft. diameter), Alt. Power 3, Independent
Effects: Patricia produces a crystalline pigment solution from
	her sweat glands.  She has complete mental control 
	over the crystalline structure, able to alter its 
	color and position freely. Keeping a tight telekinetic 
	hold on her pigment allows Rickie to spread it through the 
	air, forming very realistic scenes and creations that have 
	about the consistency of thick fog.

Alt. Power: Affliction 9 Ranks
Splat!
Total Cost: 3/Rank+2		Base Cost: 2/Rank
Action:	Standard		Save: Fortitude (Staged) (DC 18)
Range: Ranged			Duration: Instant (Lasting)
Extras: Accurate, Increased Range, Homing 2
Flaws: Limited Degree
Effects: Dazed, Stunned
Effects: Patricia throws a blob of pigment with the force of
	a powerful water balloon.  If it misses, she has enough
	telekinetic control over it to make it loop back and
	try again twice before she loses her "grip".

Alt. Power: Affliction 9 Ranks
Eyeshadow
Total Cost: 2/Rank+1		Base Cost: 2/Rank
Action:	Standard		Save: Dodge (Staged) (DC 18)
Range: Ranged			Duration: Instant (Lasting)
Extras: Increased Range, Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Reversible
Flaws: Limited Degree
Effects: Vision Impaired, Vision Disabled
Effects: Normally Patricia is careful enough to leave the eyes
	of anyone she paints uncovered, but covering them with
	opaque pigment can be useful on occasion.

Alt. Power: Concealment (Normal Vision) 2 Ranks
Chameleon
Total Cost: 2/Rank+1		Base Cost: 2/Rank
Action:	Free			Save: None
Range: Personal/Touch		Duration: Sustained
Extras: Affects Others, Precise
Flaws: Blending
Effects: By coating herself or others in her pigment, Patricia
	can carefully paint them to match the background.  Works
	best if they stay near a wall so there aren't several
	people at different angles to deal with.  It's also not
	very comfortable.

Alt. Power: Concealment (Normal Vision) 2 ranks
Blackout Curtain
Total Cost: 4/Rank		Base Cost: 2/Rank
Action:	Standard		Save: None/Dodge
Range:	Personal		Duration: Sustained
Extras: Burst Area 2, Attack
Flaws: Side Effect (Affects Self, -2)
Effects: Radius 60 ft
Effects: Rickie can simply create a dome of opaque pigment to
	block out all available light, painting over light sources
	within the area as well.  The downside is, she can't see
	in it any better than a normal person could.

EXPLOSIONS!
Damage 10		26 pp (actual cost: 1 pt)
Total cost: 3/rank-4	Base cost: 1/Rank
Action: Standard	Resistance: Toughness
Range: Ranged		Duration: Instant
Extras: Cloud area +2/rank, Range +1/rank
Flaws: Uncontrollable -1/rank
Flat Flaws: Diminished Range -3, Quirk (Needs strong outside heat-source to ignite it) -1
Effects: Dodge DC20 to half rank
Descriptions: 30ft cloud area inferno anywhere within 100ft

Alt.Power: Damage 7 Ranks [Fire]
Napalm Overcoat
Total cost: 3/rank+3	Base cost: 1/Rank
Action: Standard	Resistance: Toughness (DC 22)
Range: Ranged		Duration: Instant
Extras: Triggered, Increased Range, Secondary Effect, Accurate 2.
Trigger: When someone is hit with a fire attack.
Effects: Rickie saturates the battlefield with enough pigment that use of lasers
	or fire may result in secondary ignitions on the targets.
	This may include herself.

Move Object 1 Rank			2 points
Total Cost: 2/Rank		Base Cost: 2/Rank
Action:	Standard		Save: None/Dodge
Range: Ranged			Duration: Concentration
Effects: 100 pounds capacity, attacks as with STR 1
Effects: By coating an object in pigment and then lifting the pigment,
	Rickie can, with difficulty, mimic telekinesis.  While the ability
	has the potential to become more powerful, Rickie needs more practice
	before she can handle anything heavier than a few pounds.

Complications:
Motivation: Acceptance
Prejudice: Teenage Mutant In America

PL 8: Illusion +1 rank +Independent (11) (APs boosted to PL8), STA +1 (2), Ranged Attack 1 (1), Move Object rank 1 (2)

PL 9: Illusion +1 rank (4) (APs boosted to PL9), STA +1 (2), Ranged Attack 1 (1), Insight +6 (3), Deception +2 (1), Persuasion +2 (1), added Precise to Chameleon, added Reversible to Eyeshadow, changed Environment (Vision) to Area Concealment and made it an AP of Illusion, slightly raised Move Object's RP weight limit, new power: Napalm Overcoat (1).

Dareon fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Technically? Sweat." She lets the hands melt as each girl makes contact or ignores them at their option, "I call it my pigment just to avoid grossing people out, but it comes from the same areas, it's icky, and it gives me B.O., so it's sweat." as she talks, she forms the pigment into a small bird that hops around on top of her hat. "There's some crystalline structure in it, and that's actually what I control. color, position, all that."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Yeah, not what I expected from a supervillain at all. You know, I heard she managed to beat up the Hulk?"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

The mutant painter comes down the stairs, dressed in a fresh t-shirt and slacks, and plops onto the couch next to Crystal. Compared to the southern belle, she barely makes a dent. "I'm gonna need to ask about laundry. It feels a little weird, like, there's mutants out there destroying their clothes every time they do their thing, and I'm complaining about having to do laundry more often. You know what I mean?"

She pauses, aware that she missed a few conversations, but not reading the uncomfortable silence that meant a bomb had dropped.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Maybe? Come on, girls, sit down, sit down." She stands up herself, moving over and starting to move Tara by her shoulders, but stopping as she sees the spiders ballooning out of her hair. Instead, she tugs on Cecilia's arm.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

...promptly paints herself blue. After a moment, she starts humming an old, half-remembered pop song.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Well, what do you expect? He's a dickhead." She pauses. "Um, Tabby, what's the school policy on swearing?"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Eesh." Rickie strips the pigment off of herself, gathering it in her cupped hands. "We can't gently caress this up, then, huh? First steps and all that." As she talks, a small mushroom cloud erupts in her hands.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

The artist's stomach gurgles. "Yes, please. The last thing I ate was half a donut I wheedled off a guard on the bus."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"I'm probably the only one that likes Hawaiian here, and I don't think I could eat a whole one, so whatever you guys want will be fine. Mostly."

"No anchovies."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie snags a slice of Hawaiian, then turns it around and eats the crust first, eating the rest of the slice with it carefully balanced on three fingers.

"Pizza superpowers, huh? I could see that. Telekinetic control, maybe, like some kind of... Meatneto." She snickers. "Survivor of the Cheddarcaust?"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Thaff kind've ow it iff, fough," Rickie says around a mouthful of crust, "*gulp* You find out you've got some weird, totally niche ability that could be, like, vaguely marketable if you put your mind to it, and the first thing you do is put on tights and a mask? Why is this such a common thought process?"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Having finished the Hawaiian portion, Rickie carefully lifts a slice of the Monstrosity. She studies it with one eyebrow raised, then carefully takes a bite.

"...This pizza should be attacking Tokyo."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"All I could do with a Sentinel is paint it, like, mango colored." Rickie blinks at Sarah. "Wait. You can talk to machines, right? Oh, wow." Wiping off her hands, she moves one of the pizza boxes and waves at the table. A multicolored cloud coalesces out of her sleeves, forming into Sarah, hovering in midair. Rickie closes her eyes, and green code forms around mini-Sarah as a backdrop. Orange stock tickers ribbon through the space, swarming with red down arrows. The artist opens her eyes and grins. "Perfect. I don't have much opportunity to do cyberpunk."

She rubs her chin and gestures again. Another cloud forms itself into Anna hovering above a stage, surrounded by falling lights, prop swords, and a flat cardboard tree. "I can do this with all of us, although some of you might be harder."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Hmm." A stained glass window did indeed spring up behind Crystal, emblazoned with a suit-clad man with literally two faces, one speaking fire while the other tries to maintain a beatific expression. Nodding, Rickie tries several times to create a nimbus of light around Crystal, but her best effort simply makes the girl look like she was covered in custard.

Rickie sighs as she pulls the nimbus back and lumps it into a ball. "I can't do light. If it's not intending to actually shine on anything, I can do sunbeams until the cows come home, but the best I can do is using my pigment like a stage lighting gel."

With a sudden look of revelation, the artist pulls both hands toward herself, and the stained glass window partially shatters, leaving shards floating in the air around crystal. The man is still intact, but the borders of the window are now jagged and would be menacing if they weren't made of fog.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"I like to keep in practice with a brush and paint. Or pencils." Rickie remarks before turning her attention to Sarah.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Seriously, we're in this together, we can help each other out." A pause. "Plus, a mental breakdown is hard to paint unless I go like that guy that started painting cats all weird, and that's more a sequential thing."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie mostly tunes out Tabby's latest speech, which is kind of a bummer, because she's just going to wind up referring to it when the artist tells her story. Instead, Rickie focuses on the coffee table. A multicolored cloud coalesces at the edge of the table, turning into Tara lying down and half-changed into a giant spider. The spider's legs and abdomen melt and flow off the edge of the table, looking much like Dali's clocks. "I guess that works."

"I suppose I should go next." She frowns for a moment. "You know Bonnie and Clyde? Well, I'm kind of like them, except instead of a broad swathe of bank robbery, murder, and bootlegging, ending in a shootout with police, it was a narrow swathe of graffiti, shoplifting, and political activism ending in getting tased for painting a pair of cops green."

"You want more than that, right?" she asks Tabby, and settles back on the couch at the House Mother's affirmative nod. "Right. I was painting a guy's house- a job, barter, I was staying with him, he was gay and a mutant. This was in Nevada. I'd left a trail of graffiti, mostly political, through five states on my way west. I was heading to California. Anyway, a few states back, I'd started to sign my work." she gestures, and a rainbow springs up in each of the girls' dioramas, disappearing shortly after.

"That left a trail, and I'd been shoplifting to stay fed and on the road. It's easy enough for me," with a beckoning gesture, she pulls the pigment forming the scenes to her and disappears, then stands up and turns to reveal she'd painted herself to look exactly like the couch, "But there was always the possibility I hadn't seen a camera and they had me for some shoplifting, so I was a little nervous when a police car pulled up while I was painting this guy's house.

"One was businesslike, asked what I was up to, did I know the guy who lived there, could he see some ID. Other one had a hand on his gun and a scowl on his face, said, and I quote, 'Just cuff the mutie bitch and stick her in holding, she's done something.'" Rickie sticks her tongue out for a moment.

"I had two options. I could hand over my school ID from five states away, wait in lockup while they called it in and found out I was a runaway, and get shipped back to my loving parents," Her voice drips sarcasm like grease off Pizzilla, "Or I could panic, cover them in pigment, and get about 20 yards away before one of them tases me. Two guesses which one I picked." She pulls the camouflage off of herself and recreates the little maquettes on the coffee table as she sits down, adding one of her engulfing two cops in a wave of green. She blinks.

"And I'm an idiot. I could have painted myself a different ID. I'd seen the Nevada driver's license, I could- no, the mean one would probably have kept his gun on me while the other cop checked." She sighs. "I was going to be in trouble no matter what. But on the whole I'm glad I wound up here!" She perks up immediately. "It's beautiful, friendly, and I'm going to learn a lot, I swear. So that answers what I want to get out of this place, too!" She throws an arm around Cecilia sitting next to her. "Friends!~"

She pulls back slightly to look at Cecilia while keeping her arm around her. "You know, you haven't said word one about your powers except that, what was it, you didn't want to hurt us? So your power is dangerous, maybe deadly, but I'd say since you're in, what's the word, gen-pop? that you're not like, sweating anthrax or uncontrollably radioactive." As she continues, Rickie forms various possibilities for Cecilia's talents on the coffee table. "Are you maybe controllably radioactive? Able to control fire-extinguishing chemicals? Do you have super-strength? A super-voice?" Rickie gasps. "EYE BEAMS?" Mini-Cecilia's eye beams include hearts and sparkles.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Cecilia's revelation is sobering, but it gets Rickie's brain working.

"You write, it happens, and people turned up dead? Did anyone stop to do any tests, or was it just all 'Burn the witch! She turned me into a newt!'?" The Cecilia on the table sprouts a parsnip nose tied on with string and a large clay wart. Rickie snaps her fingers at it, and a second Cecilia appears. "The question is, are you controlling or predicting? Are you Memento Mori..." One Cecilia draws her legs up as her clothing darkens, perching on a life-size human skull and scribbling in a massive tome supported by a bookstand shaped like a femur, "...Or Pythia?" The other Cecilia's clothes shift into an airy white toga as she leans forward, inhaling the roiling vapors from a very realistic chasm that appears in the surface of the table.

"I think I know a couple of ways we can test it. Tabby, are the menus for our meals set up ahead of time?" Meanwhile, the Cecilia perched on the skull takes a potato chip... and eats it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Oh." A short pause. "Well, that puts a kink in the predictive portion. Needs some sort of event that's already been decided. But we can still determine control!" She taps Cecilia on the knee. "If you don't mind trying this, try and write down what I'll wear tomorrow morning." She leans in and whispers, "I hate pink."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Tabby's admonishment causes Rickie to deflate. "Yeah, I guess. I'm just... 'inclined towards instant gratification,' I believe was the phrase the psychologist used."

Powerball, TV... "I'd rather have the horse. I've never ridden one."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Ooh!" The artist's eyes light up as Tara mentions her weaving. "We could start an art club, get some other girls interested, maybe put on a show! That would be a good signal of rehabilitation and, uh..." she pauses a moment, lost for words. "That stuff." As a thought strikes her, she turns to look at Cecilia. "If you can write without all the, uh, baggage, would you be interested in showing off some of that?"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Girl, I will quote Rime of the Ancient Mariner at you when you least expect it, complete with ocean spray effects." Rickie wags a finger at Anna, a tiny ocean wave curling off it, even tinier ship cresting and wallowing down the front.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie studies the chart. "Oh, god, I'm horrible with rotating schedules. But hey, hour fifteen for lunch, that's a step up from my old school."

A thought strikes her and she looks at Tabby. "How did you wind up here, anyway? I heard you beat up the Hulk, but that's not the sort of thing you get community service for. Occasionally it's a service to the community."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I noticed someone barfed Skittles all over it, too, but I had enough tact not to say anything!

jk ilu <3

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

The artist begins eagerly molding Tabby's story, showing her skating down the road, flinging guns out of cops' hands, making the Hulk slip on a banana peel... Then she falters. Something sinks in. Her images lose cohesion, collapsing into a small multicolored puddle. She leans back against the couch as Tabby finishes her story and goes off to her room. "...Goodnight, Miss Caida."

She looks at the other girls. "There but for the grace of Frost go we. That's the message, I think. Sounds good to me. Goodnight."

She gathers her pigment off the table and spreads it in an empty pizza box, idly painting a desert landscape. Then she gathers up the boxes and takes them into the kitchen, stuffing the empties in the trash and the leftovers (Roughly half of the monstrosity and a slice of supreme) in the fridge.

Upstairs in her room, Rickie finishes unpacking her bag, a battered nylon backpack that had seen her through her entire trip. It was all a-jumble from the searching the police gave it, so she eventually found her sketchbook at the bottom, wrapped in a pair of jeans. A thorough search revealed all her pens had been confiscated, so she settled for sitting at the desk and writing with her fingernail.

Dear Dad...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie - Hero Points: 2
pre:
Dear Dad,

I assume the authorities involved have kept you in the loop about my activities. I'm doing
fine, my stay in our correctional system has been pleasant.  It looks to stay pleasant,
since this school is something of an offshoot of the prisons.

I'm making new friends, so far everyone here is really nice.  Before Mom asks, two of the
girls in my House (We're ordered into Houses, almost like Harry Potter.  I'm in Blue
House, but I don't think there was any Sorting Hat business, despite our girls being
kinda Ravenclaw.) have killed people.  Well, one has, I'm still not sure about the other,
she may just be a victim of the media.  They're both really shook up about it.

You probably already got a brochure or something else about this place, but we've got
full days of classes, learning to control our powers and use them to benefit society,
plus the usual math and science and English.  You always told Mom I was too pretty for
jail, but it turns out all I needed was a similarly pretty jail.

I don't even know if they'll allow it, but if you could ship me some of my clothes, Mister
Ears, and Fizzwazzle The Ineluctable, I'd really appreciate it.

Tell Mom
Rickie awakens, showers, and looks at the letter again. She'd stared at "Tell Mom" for so long with her mind blank last night, sure she wanted to say something, but not sure what. Still using a fingernail and her pigment, she writes "Tell Mom I love her", then shakes her head and twists her fingers, changing the pigment on the paper.
pre:
Tell Mom I don't hate her.

Rickie
Carefully tearing the page out of her sketchbook and folding it in thirds, she gets dressed and skips down the stairs. "Morning girls! You seen Tab-" she spots the note. "drat. Wanted to ask her about mailing th- robots!" She drops to her knees, putting her eyes at level with the counter to look at the little serving bots better. "They're so cute!" Pulling out a chair, she plops herself into it and unfolds the letter.
pre:
P.S.- Our breakfast is being served by little robots!  They're cute, you'd like them.
She draws a picture of one of the robots perched on top of a piece of stereotypical holey cartoon cheese, then sets the letter aside and grabs a plate. The stiff sketchbook paper retains its unfolded shape, affording the other girls the opportunity to peek if they desire. Each of her Ts is crossed in a different color, forming a series of erratic rainbows across the page.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Slept like a log." Rickie announces. Which the girls to either side can attest to, it sounded like a sawmill in there. Quickly, the artist grabs two waffles, three strips of bacon, a fried egg and two sausages, and immediately arranges them into a sandwich. "Mwahaha. God, Mom would poo poo. Mostly because of the bacon. You know, I only had bacon once before I ran away. It doesn't matter if she's a horrible godforsaken mutant, the Ashers will keep kosher! Ugh." Rickie rolls her eyes and takes a bite, then sets it down and goes to work on it with a knife and fork like a normal breakfast.

"I think they're going to start us out on normal gym stuff, maybe with some stuff for the super-strong to do. Is that part of your deal, Crystal? Anyway, I'm like, a little stronger in the legs because I rode my bike across five states, but I couldn't power a small town with a giant hamsterwheel or anything."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Mown'ng, Auwv'troff!" Rickie says around a mouthful of waffle as Anna grabs some food. She swallows and looks slightly abashed. "I've kinda started coming up with super-names for everybody. ...I like that sort of thing." She blushes.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Yikes!" Snatching another piece of bacon, Rickie dashes along with the girls.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie shares her bacon with Cecilia as they move.

In the gym, the artist is all smiles as she greets the other house. "I'm Patricia. Call me Rickie."

Her attention drawn to the blue-eyed- really blue-eyed- girl, Rickie approaches and forms a pair of bunnies, one red, one yellow, that hop forward into her peripheral vision and look hopefully at the group of blue animals.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

The artist leans down and "picks up" the orange-shaded splatter. Right, we're all criminals. Got to expect some antisocial tendencies. This ain't- well, it kind of is summer camp. There was always the one girl sneaking off to smoke random leaves.

"I'll just love-bomb her later." The bunnycake dissolves into a wafting cloud of hearts and sparkles (None of which are exactly pink), then coalesces back into a ball the size of a grape that Rickie leaves floating beside her head. Her attention shifts to... Gabrielle? The bouncy girl is basically Pinkie Pie, but Rickie's sure on about half the girls' names.

"Gabrielle, right? Gabe? Gabby? Bree? Ellie?" Rickie does some probing for acceptable nicknames. "Cool power. Like a rocket hosed a hovercraft."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Sort of. It's, uh, my sweat. Otherwise, yes, it does everything paint can do and more, but this bubble's going to be getting bigger by the time class is done. Speaking of which, join me in some stretches?" She raises her voice slightly, looking to the rest of the girls not playing ball.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie nods to Cecilia and goes into a simple warmup routine, responding to Gabrielle at the same time.

"Yeah, it causes a lot of laundry, but I should complain, right? I think I saw a girl made of metal at the assembly, a little extra laundry is-"

And there's their teacher. The rule-through-fear type, if appearances (And Tabby's note) were anything to go by. The kind that would get a nickname from the kids. Of course, she already had one. Rickie's mind flashes over a few variants of "We've got Trauma in the morning."

She almost manages to catch Cecilia, but settles for helping the bookworm back to her feet. "You good? Come on, Bo's already passed us three times."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie's palms and the ball of pigment hit the ground at roughly the same time, spattering the artist with blue like someone brutally murdered a Smurf on her shoulder. While the laps didn't give her much trouble, she wasn't at all sure she could do twenty push-ups.

One. Two. Hand-to-hand training. Excellent. Three. Four. Mom had pulled her out of karate when her powers manifested in her first class. Five. Six. She basically knew you bowed to your opponent. Seven. Eight. The reasoning was fuzzy, though. Nine. Ten. Rickie'd met dozens of pro-mutant normals. Eleven. Twelve. Including a senator who'd visited... Thirteen... one of the pro-mutant campaigns she'd tried to... Fourteen... volunteer for...

Fifteen...

Straining, arms quivering, Rickie pushes herself up into full extension for the fiteenth push-up. Her train of thought seriously derailed, she mutters "Fifteen... fifteen..." as she tries not to simply collapse onto the floor coming back down. She goes cross-eyed as she notices a day-glo orange bead of sweat trickling down the bridge of her nose, and idly wonders what color her pits have gone.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie just sort of collapses after the twentieth push-up, just resting with her face against the floor. Apparently she's not the last one to finish, as she's allowed a few seconds of respite. The artist whines softly as she flops over onto her back, trying not to use her arms for the purpose, so the effect is something like a seal trying to get a suntan.

It's a whole different muscle group, she tells herself. Leg and arm fatigue shouldn't enter into it... Crystal's advice filters through the fog, and after a glance in her direction, Rickie apes the girl's position. One. Two. Huh, that's a lovely mauve. Sure enough, the mutant's overactive sweat glands are putting out a light purple stain on the knees of her jeans. Five. Six. I'm going to look like a Jackson Pollock by the time this is done. Nine. Ten... Ma'am, permission to clean this up, ma'am? Ma'am yes Ma'am! The mental image of Blunt Trauma as a drill instructor flits through Rickie's mind, accompanied by the voice of R. Lee Ermey.

She can't help it.

In the middle of her 17th sit-up, a giggle escapes her. She snorts and tries to restrain it, but the phrase "What is this Mickey Mouse poo poo?" drifts through her mind, and within moments she is giggling uncontrollably, interspersed with snorts, gasps, and sit-ups.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"I look handsome, I look smart, I am a walking work of art!" Rickie gasps from the floor, feeling like none of those things. "I don't suppose any of you have telekinesis and can pick me up?" Groaning, she struggles to her feet and disgustedly surveys the floor she had been working out on. "Most people use mats to exercise, but I need a dropcloth."

With a clench of one hand (and a groan), she pulls most of the pigment off the floor and out of her clothes, forming a ball in midair next to her. Scowling, she looks at the ball and turns it into a cylinder, then expands it into a soda can. Pocari Sweat.

"Ugh, yes. Shower." Wobbling, she stumbles towards the locker room.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"She does seem to be- ooch- a little kinder than she looks. I was half expecting to be stepped on and yelled at when I started giggling. Which was due to picturing her as a drill sergeant, by the way. Voice from Full Metal Jacket and all."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Sighing, Rickie steps out of the gym into the fresh air, rolling her shoulders to try and work the last of the lactic acid out of them. "You girls go on ahead, I need to see about mailing that letter. I'll catch up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"I hope this says 'We mailed your letter for you, thank you for choosing Robo-Rat Delivery' and not 'Communication with the outside is verboten, you have lost all the points, all of them'." Rickie folds up the slip and starts to stick it in her pocket, then thinks better of it and skips upstairs to change. Attired in fresh white t-shirt and jeans, with the strip in her clean, un-sweated-into pocket, she comes back downstairs with her dirty clothes in a Circle-K grocery bag, which she also deposits in the laundry nook.

As she and Tara make their way back to the main building, the artist muses, "I get that this is supposed to be continuing schooling, but it just seems weird to have regular Lit, Math, and Science classes in the middle of Trauma's 50,000 Ways To Kill a Flatscan, Tabby's Muggle Relations, and Gloom's Do Cool poo poo. Not that I'm complaining, it beats the pants off a regular curriculum any day."

As the two near the classroom and spot Green House, Rickie stops and scowls, the most negative expression she's had on her face since she got here. "Oh. Wonderful. All the Beautiful People got put in Slytherin."

• Locked thread