Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grinnblade posted:

Expansion Cup Clerical Errors

Canton Castrophes
Rob Murphy is a Red, not an Indian

I already fixed this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grinnblade posted:

I'm going to need the EC owners to post their rosters in this thread, with any trades/roster moves that you have made editted in.

Home Stadium: Bunkerdown Stadium, Canton, Ohio [Dimensions: Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati]

30-Man Roster:
Starting Lineup
3B: 1910 Hans Lobert
DH: ‘87 Kal Daniels
RF: ‘95 Manny Ramirez
LF: ‘95 Albert Belle
2B: ‘95 Carlos Baerga
SS: ‘87 Barry Larkin
C: ‘66 Duke Sims
CF: ‘95 Kenny Lofton
1B: ‘95 Jim Thome

Pitching Rotation:
SP1: ‘66 Sonny Siebert
SP2: ‘95 Dennis Martinez
SP3: ‘66 Steve Hargan
SP4: 1910 George Suggs
SP5: ‘66 Sam McDowell

CL: ‘95 Julian Tavarez
SU: ‘87 Frank Williams
RP: ‘87 John Franco
RP: ‘95 Paul Assenmacher
RP: ‘95 Erick Plunk
RP: ‘87 Rob Murphy
RP: ‘95 Jose Mesa

Bench:
1B ‘95 Eddie Murray
SS ‘95 Omar Vizquel
C ‘95 Sandy Alomar
1B ‘95 Paul Sorrento

Minors:
2B ‘66 Verne Fuller
RP 1910 Slow Joe Doyle
C 1910 Larry McLean
UT ‘95 Brian Giles
P ‘66 Luis Tiant

Strategy (Rate on a scale from -5 to +5)

Hit and Run: 0
Sacrifice Bunt: -3
Squeeze Play: -2
Trying for extra bases: 4
Stealing Bases: -3
Aggressively Tagging Up: 0
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): 0
Giving Intentional Walks: -1
Pitching Around Good Hitters: 3
Bringing the Infield In: 0
Guarding the Lines: 2
Making Cutoff Throws: 0
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: 2
Bringing in Pinch Runners: 0
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: 3
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -2
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: 0
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: -3

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

PLAYOFFS FOR THE PLAYOFFS GOD. Trophys for the Trophy throne!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Of all first starts I expected, "decent pitches, lovely hitting" was probably near the bottom. Maybe my hitters just need some music to psyche them up? Let's try giving them a dose of Back Alley Space Boy to help them get there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQEc9hjC6ys Come on, guys! All you need is burning youth!

Also, you say my pitchers are off to a good start, but I see Hargan with a 8+ ERA :suicide:, so let's see what we can do to fix that.

Well... Tiant had a few starter spots in his career, let's work with that. Can't be any worse, right? Drop down Steve Hargan, call up Luis Tiant in his place. And since I didn't have this set up for my first month and I don't want Sims' knees to explode, make Alomar Tiant's personal catcher.

As for Relief Pitching... ergh. Let's do some rearranging. New Relief Pitching should look like this (changes bolded):

• Closer: Julian Tavarez
  • Setup: Frank Williams
  • Short Relief: Jose Mesa (From Long Relief)
  • Short Relief: Rob Murphy (From Middle Relief)
  • Middle Relief: Slow Joe Doyle (From AAA)
  • Middle Relief: Paul Assenmacher (From Short Relief)
  • Long Relief: Eric Plunk (From Middle Relief)
  • AAA: John Franco (From Short Relief)

Hopefully that won't destroy whatever weird, fragile balance my pitching staff currently has. :cripes:

Edit 2: Who the gently caress is Chris Huxham and where did he come from? :crossarms:

Monathin fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 15, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grinnblade posted:

Chris Huxham is a rookie auto-generated by Mogul to fill roster space.

Okay then, let's just keep him in the minors for now then. I thought a 30-man was a full roster. One of my dudes didn't vanish, did they? :ohdear: Lousy Vault security...

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Who among you is willing to take up the burden of protecting the Super-League from Bruzer?

As Expansion Cup VIII Manager of the Canton Catastrophes and overall baseball knowledge rookie, I officially cast my hat in as Volunteer For Judge Of Comprehension To Non Baseball Enthusiasts

My primary judging criteria will be whether or not I will need Bruiser to re-explain any notable players, incidents, and/or concepts of baseball, as well as being able to judge whether he has effectively communicated the story of the Cubs. The only thing I know about the Chicago Cubs is that they suffer, a lot. As everyone knows, I'm from Ohio, and people from Ohio have an incredibly ability to perceive and recognize suffering, being experts on it ourselves. To this end, I will judge Bruiser can communicate the suffering of a Cubs fan - to the point where they would write this story - as well as keeping baseball-related information clear and concise. Especially that critical to the plot.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

dubsteppin posted:

Welp, my great baseball knowledge is really shining...

Don't worry! I believe in you and I know nothing about baseball!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The Merry Marauder posted:

I'm not gonna lie to you, your bullpen is in deep poo poo. Problem is, it's a massive inefficiency to use a dispersal pick on a reliever when there's still elite guys in the pool. You have a couple options - I haven't looked into your feeders, but chances are good you have some pieces other expansion teams might want - find one with an excess of relievers and get some modern arms. Alternately, trade me (or BWFC or IceMole) some spare parts for our remaining super-draft pick (only we three have one left), where you could get a modern reliever like Ryan Madson or Matt Mantei.

I've got quite a few half-decent relievers on my feeder teams and in my current bullpen that I can probably trade off if he needs spare arms. I'd be looking for some better starting pitching or another good bat to round out my lineup, though.

VVVV Let me know when EC May update rolls out if you still need some decent arms, I'll see if I can't find some good relievers.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 16, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ToiletofSadness posted:

If mrnoun has truly abandoned his team, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Best case scenario (for us fellow owners) is that Smasher holds a Super-Auction for all the players on his team.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Luna Landers
Greg Maddux (SP) (No Super-Auction!) - 17 days

Also that's too much work anyway during the combined SL/EC season.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grinnblade posted:

Canton Catastrophes
2B Carlos Baerga (Don't Cross the Boss) - 9 days
MR Paul Assenmacher (Seriously, don't) - 10 days
P John Franco (Not kidding) - 10 days

IDAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOO! :argh: I won't forget this!

Call up Verne Fuller from the Minors to cover for Carlos. Fuller takes Baerga's spot in all lineups until the latter is healed.

Paul will have to sit out for now. Move everyone on Team Relief below Assenmacher up one spot to cover him. Move him back to Middle Relief as soon as he's better.

Franco's injury management details to come when I find out how well the El Tiante Experience went.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 17, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I was not assigned a time frame or due date.

A report on the foreward + preview videos is due by Friday at 8 AM EST. First chapter Saturday at 8 AM EST. Get to it. :colbert:

Monathin fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 17, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

YOU HAD ONE JOB, DENNY. ONE JOB.

Just my luck, one of the best slugging lineups the Indians ever had and half of them can't hit the ball. :cripes:

Kal Daniels to the Bench, Old Man Steady Eddie in his place as DH. Steady Eddie's probably definitely going to fall apart on me, but he's the best option I got since Kal has decided hitting the ball isn't an option.

My catchers appear bound and determined to murder me. Sims to the Minors, Larry McLean in his place. Alomar still personally catches for El Tiante, since he isn't doing any drat better.

For more experimentation: Baby Brian Giles to Platoon with Albert Belle. Belle against Lefties, Giles against Righties.

Finally, a rearranging of the batting order to commend those who aren't tanking.

code:
CANTON CATASTROPHES STARTING LINEUP
#1 - CF Kenny Lofton
#2 - SS Barry Larkin
#3 - 1B Jim Thome
#4 - RF Manny Ramirez
#5 - LF Brian Giles(Versus RHP)/LF Albert Belle(Versus LHP)
#6 - 2B Verne Fuller*
#7 - C Larry McLean
#8 - DH Eddie Murray
#9 - 3B Hans Lobert
* - Verne Fuller plays until Carlos is healthy, however, instead of removing him from the lineup when Baerga is back as in my previous post, platoon him with Baerga. Baerga against RHP, Fuller against LHP.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 17, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

To any Gauntlet-bound guys who are looking for someone to sponsor a rookie to Super-League greatness: I would very much appreciate(and possibly write some dumb fictional words in a huge effortpost vaguely resembling something straight out of the Annie Mays or Viddie O. Gaims) any guys you want to trade my way, and you'd be helping me tackle Grinnblade and expose his Expansion Rigging for the whole world to see! :argh:

Alternatively you should probably give Dubsteppin and the Beard Leaguers some help, because he seems like a cool dude that needs the assistance.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

mks5000 posted:

I really like the idea of past owners getting to "franchise" a guy to be on their next squad.

The onlymain(e: there are a lot of problems with franchising) problem you'd have with a franchise system, I'd think, is the fact that a lot of people would use it to keep Ruth, Bonds, and Williams to their team no matter how badly they do. The amount of movement the "big name" players would do would probably come to a screeching halt as everyone shores them up in the fear of relegation and thus the players you actually hope to grab in the Dispersal and Super Drafts are locked down by owners facing relegation.

Besides, what would you do if an own Franchised a player, and then didn't re-apply after getting relegated? I mean, the timing, as far as I can tell, runs like that:

>Start of Super-League Season > Mid-Season (Superdraft, EC Registration), > End of standard Super League and EC Seasons > SL Playoffs/EC Playoffs/Gauntlet > Dispersal Draft > goto 10.

Let's say a player gets relegated in the current seasons, Super-League VIII, and that all Gauntlet players Franchised a player on their team. Only the best 2-4 teams out of the Gauntlet run live to survive another day in the Super-League, and there's 20 teams Gauntlet-bound (4 in round 1, 2 in rounds 2-9). Now, their entire team gets relegated except this Franchise Player, so there are theoretically 16-18 Super-League caliber players in limbo, that can't get resolved until halfway through the next season, at best, because you have to see if a player is going to come back with a new team and cash in his Franchise Player. Let's assume, for a ballpark, half the people who got relegated created a new team and cashed in their Franchise Players, which means there are still 6-8 left.

These 6-8 have to wait until the following to be recycled back into the Super-League.

• Assuming the timing is shifted so we know which EC teams are in before the Super-Draft starts, they can be reintegrated into the Super Draft half a season later. This doesn't help EC owners and allows people already in the league to shore up the team.
  • Assuming the timing is not shifted, they have to wait until at the very least, the Dispersal Draft of the season after the one the teams got relegated in. This helps newbies to a degree, but not nearly as much as the current system.

Essentially, trapping Key Players in limbo for an entire season just because someone who had them got relegated and wants to call dibs on them is a Bad Idea.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 19, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I present my opinions on the Obit in list form:

• Ideally, there are Mark Graces who have differing combinations of Rocket Cycle parts and Rocket Fuel.
  • Therefore, the more Graces, the more chance of having enough rocket power to do something ridiculous. Like get Space Gyros or something.
  • I like space.

Therefore, C. Let's get Crisis-y!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I guess I'll do the rest if people really want to see them.

That was a really fun and entertaining read, so yeah. I'd like more deliberating on the Lore of the Super League.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

gently caress.

Alright. Discontinue both the Baerga/Fuller platoon and the Belle/Giles platoon ASA-loving-P. Baerga and Belle are back to batting full time. Fuller on the bench, Giles to the Minors.

Let the rest ride, there's not a lot I can do at this point, except hope that I didn't gently caress it up too much.

If anyone wants to take rookie 95 Brian Giles, (Soon To Be) Super-Utility of the Pittsburgh Pirates off my hands for anything that'll fill a hole in my team (namely some pitching that's halfway decent or a good power bat) I'd much appreciate it if we can work out a deal.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Can Anti-Marauder, Destroyer Of Worlds be any worse than Marauder, Destroyer Of The Super League?

I posit no.

C.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

:siren:TRADE ALERT:siren:

Canton Catastrophes Receive
1973 Tom Hall
1978 Gaylord Perry

Dubai Dervishes Receive
1995 Brian Giles
1987 John Franco

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Beet posted:

The Dervishes consent this trade, with an added corollary to be confirmed by Mothanin

1978 John D'Acquisto to be immediately traded to the Canton Catastrophes in exchange for an agreement that, should both teams still exist in the offseason following SLVIII, the Catastrophes will send 1987 Eric Davis of the Cincinatti Reds to the Dervishes upon the re-opening of feeder access. If the Dervishes have been relegated, the Catastrophes keep D'Acquisto and the subsequent part of the trade is null and void.

The Canton Catastrophes approve the D'Acquisto-Davis Contractual Boondoggle Addendum.

Revised lineup will likely come sometime in the next ten to twelve hours, if not sooner.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Alright, based on last nights shuffling, let's see what I can do here.

Gaylord Perry to the #4 Starter Spot. Suggs drops to the minors for now.

New Bullpen changes:

code:
CANTON CATASTROPHES BULLPEN:
Closer: Williams, Frank
Setup: Tavarez, Julian
Short Relief: Hall, Tom
Short Relief: Mesa, Jose
Middle Relief: Doyle, Slow Joe
Middle Relief: Murphy, Rob
Long Relief: Plunk, Eric
AAA: Assenmacher, Paul
AAA: D'Acquisto, John
Fired Into Deep Space For Poor Performance: Hargan, Steve

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I actually do want to see if the Anti-Marauder is simply Monicro on a galactic scale.

C once more!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm betting on Radbourn being in the line up. He's got to be.

C! Who cares about the detailsexcept for the crazy cool lore-tying bits, we have a team to meet and a multiverse to save!

Monathin fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 23, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grinnblade posted:

Canton Catastrophes
1B Jim Thome (wrote "hoot hoot hoot" down arm in Sharpie... and by "in Sharpie" I mean "with a box cutter") - 41 days

gently caress me running.

Paul Sorrento in for Thome for the duration of his injury. Let's hope he can cover Thome's major spot in the batting lineup.

You've got one chance, Paul, don't let me down next month!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

NOW IS NOT THE TIME FOR GYROS, MISTER GRACE.

A

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Dunn has to be the secondary fire team leader, so that leaves Saint Bellhorn and Yoshida for our squad.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

DUE TO TIME SHENANIGANS, THIS INJURY REPORT MANAGEMENT NO LONGER EXISTS

Monathin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 26, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grinnblade posted:

Expansion Cup VIII Injury Report - August
Canton Catastrophes
3B Hans Lobert (... you lucky son of a REDACTED) - 16 days

Timelord Perry: Saving my bacon, one temporal paradox at a time. :smug:

Let's see how this works out: Omar Vizquel in for Lobert's spot. DON'T put Lobert back in when he's healed.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

We all know Eri Yoshida has the physics defying not-so-fastball. If anything, she should be handling the incredibly dangerous orb.

I believe in Yoshida!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pander posted:

Can I call up a SP from my feeder team to replace Lanier during the Exp Cup?

Feeder teams are explicitly locked off during the season - either Super League or EC. So no, you can't call anyone up to replace a starting pitcher currently injured. What's on your team is what you got.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Which player is the one most likely to survive on nonsensical bullshit and sheer dumb luck?

Chosen Dunn, you're up.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

:siren:TRADE ALERT:siren:

Canton Catastrophes Receive:
2005 Roger Clemens

Philadelphia Failures Receive:
1910 Harry Coveleski
1987 Dave Parker

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

C. at least Catered Gyros should be easier to obtain.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Warm Sarsaparilla posted:

That's '66 Siebert, Monathin. It's not too late for yooouuuu...

drat you, Sonny Seibert! drat YOU! :argh:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm all in favor of whatever gets the most funny-laughs and hilarious pratfalls possible.

So I guess that means yeah, mini-gauntlet. :black101:

Monathin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 30, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

cbx posted:

So, how does the shrinking affect the Gauntlet and the safe teams?

I think we need to get a hard tally on how many EC teams are still alive/active before we can figure out the "safe zone" for gauntlet players, right? Since teams with managers that vanished don't move into the SL proper.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Just because the season is over doesn't mean we can't make this a final month to remember!

Old Man Clemens in for Old Man Denny's spot on the Rotation. He's got enough gas in the tank to get me through the last month, I hope!

Sandy Alomar in for Larry McLean.

Omar Vizquel in for Hans Lobert.

Kal Daniels in for Old Man Murray.

D'Aquisto gets a chance to see if he's worth his salt in Middle Relief Rob Murphy dropped down to the Bullpen.

As one last reminder, Thome comes in and replaces Sorrento as soon as he's healthy.

On the off chance I don't have enough place on my 30-man for Clemens, please launch Vern Fuller into deep space.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pick'Em!

Dubai Dervishes and Coburns

Monathin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 1, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Burma and Rochester for the Pick'Em.

AS A SERVICE TO THE THREAD: NotQuiteQuentin, dubsteppin, you guys have about FOUR HOURS to confirm or deny continued Super-League interest before your teams don't get to advance!

Monathin fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pick'em!

Burma and Rochester again to advance.

vvvv Whoops.

Luna Landers and Coburns as victors, then, same scores. (4-0, 7-3 respectively.)

Monathin fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 2, 2013