Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I just found this thread.

It is a good thread. Spent all day reading this week's entries, loved all of them! That's a lie, I loved a lot of them, liked most, and a few were just ok. Nothing was bad though! And still probably all better than anything I could write! I'm kind of out of practice. I'm pretty sure I haven't worked on anything in well over a year, and I was never that amazing to begin with... But hey, I've decided to get back into writing, so I think I'll join in with this next week. A challenge like this would be helpful. I'll no doubt get my arse torn to shreds, but hey, it looks like a fun thing to do! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

On the upside, if you lose, at least you won't be stuck with that anime avatar anymore.

Hey now. This is a Dangan Ronpa avatar. That game is pretty amazing.

I don't even watch anime.

Oh boy, my first post in the thread and I already got insulted! I feel so accepted already! :buddy:

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Anime detected. Possible Primoman alt. Administering test:

The prompt is: two friends walk in the park. Your story must contain at least one dog, preferably more.

What do you write? Do not write the whole story, just give me a 1-sentence description ta.

I have no idea who Primoman is.

I write a story about a pair of girls walking home from school through the park, when they see an injured dog run terrified past them. They are curious and try to find out what has happened to it, and it turns out the animal escaped from a crazy man who had created some kind of alter where he was capturing stray dogs, skinning them and creating some kind of dog suit out of the skin / other body parts so that he could become king of the dogs. Story ends with the man chasing them away, trying to bite and scratch them, and they never speak of the event again.

That's the best I could come up with at short notice, anyway.

Rose Wreck posted:

Given how this last round has gone, I bet everyone ends up dead by the end. Everyone. Yes, probably the dogs too. However many there are.

Close, only most of the dogs, not all. And neither of the protagonists. Or maybe they will, whatever works best in the end.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Scanning

Scanning

Scanning

0% catgirl detected
0% paedophilia detected
10% anime detected

Scanning

35% good creepy detected
15% bad creepy detected
10% actual funny detected

Verdict: pass

Move along citizen.

n.b.: Primoman is a really creepy dude with a similar avatar who took a really innocuous prompt and turned it into "anime sex romp".

Woo!

Yeah don't worry, I'm not the kind of person who would write about anime poo poo, despite the avatar. It's kind of misleading, I guess.

e:

Martello posted:

This story is awful and you'll never make it here. Go back to games or whatever, they're calling for you.

Yeah it's bad, but if I had a week I'm sure I would have managed to create something almost mediocre in quality! Point is, I want to start writing and what better way to do that than to lose at thunderdome and get ridiculed by everybody?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Sitting Here posted:

Meis I will shake the self deprication out of you

look how shaken Etherwind is, it's like loving squiggle vision over there

Yeah, sometimes I do this thing where I acted self-depricating as gently caress. I guess it's some kind of preventative measure? I don't do it on purpose. Maybe on some level I'm doing it because if I insult myself, other people won't be able to, right!? You know, somehow I don't think that tactic would work here. Maybe I'm over thinking this. Yeah.

But you know what, gently caress it. Sure I'm not great but I'm not awful either. Even my lame-rear end dog murdering story could be good, if I put enough effort in and wrote it well. Hell, maybe I'll give that a shot. A sort of practice run, if you will, before the next thunderdome battle begins.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Sign me up for whatever the next thing is. I feel like facing some harsh trials.

Also gredgie, please jump right in so that I'm not the only new person. And you'd probably make me look good in comparison!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

gredgie posted:

These fighting words taste like bait!

Ultimately, where I'm new to SA in general, I wouldn't mind ensuring I don't get lost in a forum sea and forget to submit something here and waste folks time.

From what I've read, being that guy in the Thunderdome is not a path to victory.

If you think there's a chance you'd forget to submit something, that kind of implies you don't really care about this thing, like it's not really worth your time. I mean that's the impression you'd give. To be honest, it's easy enough to not forget something like this (at least to me), and besides, any thread you post in gets added to your bookmarked threads viewable from the user control panel.

Basically, I get the impression you shouldn't enter if you're not serious with the commitment. Or do, if you want to be relentlessly berated. You could always join that monthly short story contest instead I guess?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

It's really valuable to have a group of guys who will call your writing out on its bullshit too. That can be incredibly hard to find.

Yeah, this is basically why I want to get in on this. I've seen other communities out there, but their feedback is pretty poo poo. As such, I have not felt I've improved much / at all since my teens. Hopefully CC will change that!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

For anyone who is hesitant to join in on this, I invite you to glance at the picture just to the left of this post. That is the ABSOLUTE WORST that can possibly happen to you as a consequence of joining in. There is very little reason to hold back.

Of course, that kind of thing only happens if someone writes something as bad as that story was. Yeah, I read it. You deserve all you get.

Oh boy oh boy I can't wait to see what my ultraloser avatar will be!!! :allears:

Did I say ultraloser I meant ULTRAWINNER :smug:

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Count me in. This should be fun!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Stuporstar posted:

As I will be your third judge, I'm imposing a flash rule on everyone.

:siren: FLASH RULE :siren:

IT MUST BE BOLLYWOOD

Yeah. I can work this into the idea I'm working on. This is going to be interesting!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

E: Holy poo poo my avatar

Hahahaha, that's great. Well it'll make Lowtax happy if nothing else!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

gredgie posted:

Without trope or cliche and a firm knowledge of the Hindi language, all I can do is basically, write some flash-fiction where the central characters are Hindi.

But this is all part of the Thunderdome learning curve I imagine.

So do that. The rule was "IT MUST BE BOLLYWOOD", it isn't super specific. I get the impression none of the prompts or rules are. Otherwise it'd be way too restrictive.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Peel posted:

Speaking of,

:siren: FLASH RULE :siren:

The romance cannot be heterosexual.

I feel kind of ambivalent about this rule.

Like, I don't have to change my story at all, because I was gonna do that in the first place. But now everyone will see it coming. Ah well! Expect my story later today.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I also don't know much about Bollywood, but I did my best to include it.

Song: Gorillaz - Amarillo

Bounty - 979 words

I didn't have to search the bounty board for long to find who I was looking for. Vanhi, petty thief, 500 galactic credits. Normally I wouldn't pay attention to such a small bounty, but I had to make an exception in Vanhi's case. She was my girlfriend, after all, and we really needed to talk. I wasn't sure quite what about at the time, but I knew it was important. I gestured at the board, dragging the bounty from its screen to the display of my smart bracelet.

As I headed to the small town's bar, I told myself to cheer up. Things could be much, much worse. Like, someone else could be hunting her bounty, instead of me. When I went inside, the look I received from the bartender gave me the impression he recognised me from the last time I was here, and that impression was confirmed when I asked him about Vanhi. Me and her had been to this town before, but back then she looked different, without that shockingly red hair and electric blue eyes she was now sporting. They used to be natural, black and brown like mine. We'd been chasing a bounty together, a pretty big one too. The barman recognised me, and said he knew where 'that outlaw bitch' had gone, too. By that he simply meant he knew she'd headed east out of town, on foot. She knew if she'd taken any other form of transport, I'd have been able to track her, I figured. Maybe she really didn't want me to find her after all. I felt pretty sad about that lack of trust, to be honest. We'd been through a lot, but many thing had been left unsaid. Perhaps that was why. I thanked the barman, and left.

This part of the planet was loving hot. Nothing but an enormous grass plain stretching to infinity below, and an equally enormous cloudless sky above. It took me a good number of hours before finally I detected signs of another smart bracelet in the vicinity. I knew there was a chance that she had simply left the device behind somewhere in the wilderness to throw me off, but I wasn't going to give up hope just yet. Pinpointing the direction to go was like hunting for radioactive material with an ancient Geiger counter. I hated having to do things the old fashioned way, but it was my only shot. It didn't take me long to find the small camp she'd set up for herself, but it was already sunset by the time I got there.

I saw her sitting on a ridge, staring out at the sunset. From my angle it looked like the whole sky was radiating out of her head, her hair the same colour as the setting sun. I wasn't going to take risks, so I powered up my handgun and locked onto her as my target. Her bracelet detected this, and alerted her to my presence. She turned around, and her fearful expression melted when she saw who I was.

It was so hard to find words; nothing was that simple.

She broke the silence instead.
"My fate comes for me."
"Poetic," I replied, "but doesn't make a huge heap of sense now, does it? Don't be pretentious."
"Fine. Did you come to cash in on my piddling little bounty then?" Her wide mouth stretched into a smirk, and I felt myself starting to get angry.
"What do you think, Vanhi?"
"I think you did. It is the law, and you are the law bringer."
"I know you didn't do it, Vanhi."
"So what? The law doesn't give two shits who did it, so long as someone pays. Is that not honour and justice?"
"Come on now. How many times have I tried to teach you the difference between justice and the law?" It should have been hard to keep my voice from raising. She was always so good at getting under my skin, but I wasn't falling for it this time. We were beyond petty arguments.
"Arguing never was your style," her expression didn't change, but suddenly I didn't see a mocking smirk, simply a smile. I dropped my gun. I wasn't going to need it. She turned back to the sunset. "Sit with me?"
I did. After a few moments of silence, I spoke again. "What were you trying to prove by running off like that?" Those weren't the words I needed to say, but they were all I could manage.
"I don't really know. I suppose I was testing you. I wasn't really thinking about it too much... I suppose that's why I came here, specifically."
"What's so special about this little backwater world compared to all the others we've been to together?"
"Because this was the one where I figured out that I love you."
The words hung in the air for a while, echoing inside my head. It occurred to me that neither of us had ever said those words to each other before.
"Is that so?"
"Yes." She turned to look at me. "Do you... feel the same?"

It was then that I found my words.

"Why do you think I came after you? I never had a chance to say it, before you left. And I really needed to say it. I just couldn't find the words until now."
She just sat there, listening, waiting for me to continue.
"You are the love of my life, Vanhi. The one and only woman I want to spend the rest of my days with. It's as simple as that."
"And you, Niyati, are the only woman I want to spent the rest of mine with." She rested her head on my shoulder, and there was nowhere else in the galaxy I would rather have been. It was as simple as that.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Sitting Here posted:

Dear Thunderdome, I am having a really hard loving time finishing my totally not tragic or depressing bollywood love story in the wake of a bunch of kids dying in Connecticut. I'm still chugging along with the entry, but my cold stony Thunderdome-hardened heart has cracked a bit. We're still waiting on lab results but I think it might have also shed a tear.

Hug your kids/friends/anyone and please excuse my probably slightly late entry (I know we have a whole day but gently caress. Maybe I am weak like babby, in which case I give no shits).

I am lucky in that I managed to finish mine before I let myself pay proper attention to that story. And I don't think I'd have had an easy time finishing it if I hadn't, so I can empathise there.

Kind of surprised more entries weren't submitted, though. Peel's probably right and they were thinking in US/EU time.

Also

gredgie posted:

Song: Iron & Wine - Such Great Heights (The Postal Service Cover) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKGHkBComjM
Literally every cover I've heard of that song is better than the original, for some reason. And I kinda liked the original! :shobon:

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Peel posted:

I stayed up until 5AM finishing it ahead of deadline :colbert: (this may be noticeable :v:)

You can call that effort, I call it poor planning. I wrote mine on thursday, left it alone, and went over it on friday so I could submit it before I went to bed. That said, your story does not actually reek of "5am and rushing" to me, so good job!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Bounty - Meis

How many times did the barman recognise the protagonist? About the same amount of times the setting sunset coloured sun set I think. Getting through the setup we come to the meat of this, the conversation on a distant planet between two bounty hunting lovers and... not much. It read like one person having a conversation with themselves, I didn't really get a sense of these two, who are obviously meant to have strong personalities, differing from each other voice wise, and as such the reconciliation didn't really pack much punch.

I can't believe I didn't notice that I wrote the barman recognised her twice. I probably should have just re-wrote that whole paragraph instead of editing it, to prevent mess like that occurring. That was a mistake. The sunset part was just bad writing. Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to put more work into developing unique voices for next time, that's one of my main problems at the mo.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

gredgie posted:

Pros: I have a crown.
Cons: It's the worst of all the crowns.

See this is why you should not have listened to me when I said I didn't want to be the only newbie. :shepface:

Congrats, Peel! I liked your story a lot, so I am glad you won.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not backing out just because my first entry was bad, so bring it on!

The whole point is to improve. Ideally I'll get slightly better with each passing week, until I become good enough to win! Even if this doesn't happen, this is fun as hell, and is worth it for the feedback alone. And reading other neat stories.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

On a slightly unrelated note I hope you don't take away any writing lessons from the dangy ronpa novel posted in that thread (other than "writing by using ellipses constantly and lines like "I did a victory pose, yay!" is a loving awful idea") , because that was the most anime thing I've ever read and if all Japanese "light novels" are like that I can see why tvtropes people write that way all the time.

Hey, I enjoy the games but holy poo poo I'm not looking for writing advice from them. That novel is bugging me due to how poorly written it is.

Also, I'm sure I've seen a shop selling stuff like the one Fanky posted somewhere before. I don't remember what country I was in at the time, though.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I have read like five wildly different interpretations of my card.

Is that a complaint? That just means you have more potential material to work with. It's a good thing.

So much for this I guess. Now to see the forum get clogged up with TD entries...

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Tonsured posted:

I did "Comedy" no fear people. Let the newbie be the fall-guy!

You skullduggerish hardfools better be ready for nonsense.

By "nonsense" you'd best not mean "lul rand0m xD"

Also I see someone redtexted Rhino again. Gee people sure do love throwing their money at lowtax to have a discussion via your avatar and title, don't they?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Two Ends of the Colour Spectrum --- 589 words

Four of Wands

"C'mon, Red! You don't want me to leave you behind, do you?" The purple one clambered over a pile of rubbish bags and stood proudly on its stout robotic legs, surveying the quiet suburban neighbourhood around it. The red one followed. They were an odd pair; the purple one short and round, the red tall and square.
"No... But I am still thinking about things, you know," the red one said.
"Yeah?"
"Why are we here, and doing all of these activities? I thought we were expected to be silent and non-living mechanical toys."
"Who cares, Red!? Who would even!?" If a small toy robot was capable of grinning, that's what the purple one would be doing. It slid half-way down the other end of the bags, caught an angular limb on one of them and tumbled the rest of the way down, clattering to rest amongst shredded up bank statements and generally making a fool out of itself. Again, the red one followed. It landed in a similar way, because it didn't want the purple one to feel too embarrassed.

The first thing the two little machines decided they needed was a power source. They'd been wandering around for a while, and it was starting to make them tired. They tried sleeping, but that didn't work. Machines can't sleep to get energy back, that would be silly. Entering the nearest house via the cat flap, they found themselves in a practical, clean, very-middle-class-with-everything-bought-from-IKEA kind of kitchen. They clambered up the counters and skilfully opened up all kinds of appliances, so that they could consume the delicious wattage and mega joules and such that were contained within.
That was when the human child came in. She wasn't very big, for a human. Just tall enough to have her eyes level with the kitchen surface. She stared at them with those beady organic eyes that humans use.
"What are you?" She asked.
"It's a human and it's talking! Talking human, wooo!"
"I am Red and that one is Purple," the red one replied.
"Why did you break all the kitchen stuff?"
"We only wanted a power supply..."
The human thought about this. She seemed to consider it a reasonable explanation.
"M'kay, but you better fix it all up before my mummy gets back!"
The robots agreed that that sounded fair.

Unfortunately, they didn't actually know how to fix anything. They spent as much time as they could in their attempts to re-assemble the delicate circuitry of the machines to the best of their abilites. But after what felt like almost no time at all to the robots, the sound of keys rattling in the front door was heard. Robots can't feel fear, which was probably a good thing in this kind of situation.
"Uh-oh," the human said. "You should go now." The two robots quickly screwed the panels back onto the machines, so that it at least looked as if they hadn't done anything to them, and ducked behind the bread box to hide. They saw the human's mother arrive, and unsurprisingly she did not believe her child's claims that two tiny robots had tried to destroy the kitchen.
"But look, sweetie, nothing is broken," she said. The child looked confused.
"But they opened all the things and there was wires everywhere!"
"You must have been dreaming, sweetie. Everything's fine! Look." She turned on the washing machine, to prove her point. It burst into flames.
"They should've given us more time to finish, Red."
"I would agree with that assessment."

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

toanoradian posted:

Oh geez, I don't remember Thunderdome being this intense. Where did those days of frolicking in the fields, caressing all sorts of cats go?

Also, Peel, you misspelled my name.

Did they ever exist? I read the first few pages a while back before I decided to join in, and I don't really recall any of that.

Next week's prompt better be poo poo because I reckon most people won't be able to do it and I don't want to miss out.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

sebmojo posted:

BLOCKING is a term used in theatre and means the details of how actors move around in a scene!

I have learned a thing today.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

twinkle cave posted:

re-cap
22 suicides
2 watching the ladies come and go
2 tolerable

26 man enter, 4 man leave.

Lot of blood on the Thunderdome floor.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Sitting Here posted:

Meis
The formatting made me grumpy. There should be a lot more line breaks than there are. In any case, this was sweet and lighthearted and if you could simplify it down into a children's book I would totally read it to my 7 year old bro.

That said, the narration feels a little off. Bits like "Machines can't sleep to get energy back, that would be silly" read like they should be a character's line. When the narrator says it, it's sort of redundant commentary because the rest of the action is contingent on the robots lookiing for a power source. You could also tighten stuff up, like "She stared at them with those beady, organic eyes that humans use."

The Four of Wands is an excitable, free-spirited card and I thought you captured that pretty well with the cheerful, adventurous robots.

I was expecting worse than that to be honest, considering that I had to conceive of and write it on satirday while doing other things, a fact I will use to defend my lousy formatting. I was unsure of that robots don't sleep line in the narration at the time, so yeah.. "when in doubt, leave it out" is a piece of good advice I read somewhere that I should have remembered. Thanks for the crit!

I should try my hand at doing crits one of these weeks.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Dear Thunderdome,

I know we don't really know each other very well, but I think we could have some good times if we tried. We hung out a couple of times, and it was really fun! If you like, I'll come along when you are next available and we can hang out some more. Sorry for not being around recently, but you know, it was christmas and stuff. But now that that is over, I am going to be around more and maybe we could go catch a movie or something? I think that would be fun!

Yours sincerely, Meis

P.S. I drew a pic of us together.

:h::h::h::h::h::h::h::h::h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I think you'll find that it is a many-headed angry beast with a blazing aura. :colbert:

Y'all should check your privilages.

On a serious note, I'm just going to say that this is honestly the literal best thread for writing on the entire internet. Everything about this thread is so fun to experience; the writing, the reading, and just general posting of people in this thread. A+ 10/10 would post again.

edit:

supermikhail posted:

My initial impressions of Mr. T. Dome:

But I don't trust my initial impressions, and furthermore, don't advise anyone else to.

Yeah see, if I had any artistic ability...

But hey, just because it looks like this doesn't mean it's bad or horrible or full of malice or anything! People should know better than to just take things at face value! That said it's not really anyone problem if this thread is ~too deep for you~