Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Is this viable to play somewhat casually? Due to my work schedule I'm not really around in evenings for playing scheduled clan battles. But the whole persistent growing character deal sounds pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It is. There isn't a quota or anything, and even Strat-wise the actual non-battle stuff is basically like a Facebook game.

Finally gettin' retired. Whoo.

I need a good two handed hammer. Gonna hit people and give no fucks.

nuclearaddict
Aug 2, 2006
I'd rather be playing DDR

Zaodai posted:

Is this viable to play somewhat casually? Due to my work schedule I'm not really around in evenings for playing scheduled clan battles. But the whole persistent growing character deal sounds pretty awesome.

Yeah. In my opinion, you should play casually until level 15-18 when you can actually start doing damage. Otherwise you'll just be frustrated from dying so much.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Zaodai posted:

The clan battles are scheduled by the attacker and take place 24 hours after the attack was initiated.

So this can lead to really weird battle times.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
Don't forget that the EU_5 server grants 1.5x experience to all players. It has a cap of level 20 though so it's easy to get up to a reasonable level so you aren't completely useless. There's also a gold equipment cap so people won't be rolling the server as soon as they retire with a full set of lordly armor and masterwork weapons.

In short, if you're under level 20 join the EU_5 server.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah a lot of strat battles will get scheduled for the middle of the day or the middle of the night/early morning, so if your schedule is weird you'll probably still be able to make some.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I have a pretty normal schedule and almost never made it to any battles because of it.

Also, after playing this game for a bit again, gently caress levelling. I hate how long it takes. I respecced to play around as an archer, and I loving blow even harder at that than melee, as well. Gildiss, come teach me your ways. Or someone give me some sort of tips.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
ranged is the easiest class, all you have to do is a) remember how your arrows arc b) don't get caught by cav or infantry c) it's a cone of fire

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

siggy2021 posted:

I have a pretty normal schedule and almost never made it to any battles because of it.

Also, after playing this game for a bit again, gently caress levelling. I hate how long it takes. I respecced to play around as an archer, and I loving blow even harder at that than melee, as well. Gildiss, come teach me your ways. Or someone give me some sort of tips.

Get a bunch of WM first to lower the reticle, especially if your only goal is to hit people. Aim higher then your target and try not to lead shots as much, it's the most common issue with archers in-game at the moment. Once you got the hang of hitting people more and being able to anticipate/annoy people with it, grab some more power draw and see how you can do with a lower agi build.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Can you unequip items? I want to be as light as I can. I can sell them, but I guess that's it?

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 9, 2012

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

rizuhbull posted:

Can you unequip items? I want to be as light as I can. I can sell them, but I guess that's it?

On your inventory screen if you want to unequip something from your default select the top-most option. It's just a blank bar right above the first item with actual text.

If you mean in combat, to drop a weapon press the 'G' key by default, and the 'F' key to pick up weapons. You cannot drop your head armor, body armor, leg armor or hand armor in combat however. To do that you'd have to change your gear loadout before you spawn.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Is there a particular recommended order for putting points in when you're level 1?

I'm planning on going 1-hander (probably) so I see I've got 30 weapon points which seem to make sense to just dump into 1-handers. Should I just put my skill points into Ironflesh for the extra hp? Power Strike for damage?

[EDIT]Maybe shield to use higher tier shields?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Is there a particular recommended order for putting points in when you're level 1?

I'm planning on going 1-hander (probably) so I see I've got 30 weapon points which seem to make sense to just dump into 1-handers. Should I just put my skill points into Ironflesh for the extra hp? Power Strike for damage?

[EDIT]Maybe shield to use higher tier shields?

Typically getting up to 4-5 powerstrike will let you start killing people so try and go strength first.

Or if you are a horseman getting ontop of a rouncey should be the first priority.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What's a good weapon for a Cav Lancer to use when on foot in combination with a shield? I've been told the Bamboo spear, but I also wanted a second opinion. Also, what's a good back up pole arm for when I fall off my horse and need to drop my heavy lance?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

What's a good weapon for a Cav Lancer to use when on foot in combination with a shield? I've been told the Bamboo spear, but I also wanted a second opinion. Also, what's a good back up pole arm for when I fall off my horse and need to drop my heavy lance?

Bamboo spear is good for support, if you want to be a one man army then probably a warspear or awlpike.

If you have a heavy lance and a polearm on your back when riding you won't be able to carry a shield.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

VulgarandStupid posted:

There are no good back up polearms, only the shortened spear (awful) and the quarterstaff (decent but very low damage), that's why most lancers hybrid into 1 hand or don't use a shield and use a 2 slot polearm. I recommend using 3 WM to have 90 polearm WPF and 110 1hand WPF or something like that for a cav/1hand hybrid. 18/18 or 21/15, for courser or destrier/heavy cav respectively.

If you want to forego a shield entirely you can skip WM and Shield skill to do builds like 24/15 or 21/18 for better melee build.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 9, 2012

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

rizuhbull posted:

If you just want to do it for that round, or until the next time you set your equipment, just right click that item and it will unequip it in the loadout screen.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

Smoothrich posted:

There are no good back up polearms, only the shortened spear (awful) and the quarterstaff (decent but very low damage)

The hafted blade is my weapon of choice lately, and I haven't changed my build in months. I'm a 21/21 lancer cav at level 33.

7 IF
7 PS
6 ATH
6 Riding

When you're on the ground and not spawning with your horse I recommend trying out a bunch of weapons you normally wouldn't. If polearm is the only WPF you have points in, you should try out things like the pike, long hafted blade, and the long maul. This is your chance to try out some exciting weapons and polearms definitely have one of the most diverse weapon classes in the game.

The reason I mention the normal hafted blade is that, because you have less range then the longer version, it's lighter, faster and is within the same damage bracket as the other one.

In terms of what skills you should level up, decide on what build you want to do first. Say I want to do 21/18 for a build that will be focusing on cavalry. Do I want to be able to hit people on the ground first or just run around on a horse? If I choose the former I would want to reach about 4 IF/ 4PS before starting to get some agility so that I can wear my armor and the weapons required to even play cav.

VulgarandStupid posted:

e: from the op: Recommended equipment - Ashwood Pike for damage, Bamboo Spear for Length, or War Spear for speed.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I'm level 27, but I've only been playing for maybe around a week, so the levelling up stuff isn't as much of a concern. Here are my stats so far. For the next 3 levels, I'm going to get 1 attribute and 1 skill per level, so I don't know how I can get to 21/18 or whatever. I didn't invest anything into WM, but I guess I probably should have stayed a bit more specialized and avoided putting points into shields. However, at 27, I'm not going to respec again, I'll just ride it out.

I already tried the Long Maul, but it's just too slow. I don't think I have enough Athletics to maneuver enough VS other guys. But that's natural since I'm a Cav build. I just picked up a Bec de Corbin, and I like that a lot. I also picked up a Bamboo spear, but I'll probably give the war spear a shot. I guess I have some flexibility between if I want to be basically a 2-hander with longer reach, or a spear+shield poke machine.

Attribute points:0
Strength:19
Agility:15
Weapon points:4
One Handed:1+
Two Handed:1+
Polearm:105
Throwing:1+
Crossbow:1+
Archery:1+
Skill points:0
Weapon Master:0
Athletics:5
Riding:5
Iron Flesh:6
Shield:2
Horse Archery:0
Power Strike:6
Power Draw:0
Power Throw:0

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 9, 2012

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Attribute points:0
Strength:19
Agility:15
Weapon points:4
One Handed:1+
Two Handed:1+
Polearm:105
Throwing:1+
Crossbow:1+
Archery:1+
Skill points:0
Weapon Master:0
Athletics:5
Riding:5
Iron Flesh:6
Shield:2
Horse Archery:0
Power Strike:6
Power Draw:0
Power Throw:0

The "21/18" build that I use I believe is built as the following at level 30:
Polearm: 111
Ironflesh: 7
Power Strike: 7
Athletics: 4
Riding: 6

As for the long maul being slow, try using it on siege or as a more supporting weapon. Footwork is also a very important skill to learn when playing with polearms as you should be trying to maneuver into a perfect attacking position constantly.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
So I joined up and I have still have a guy from way back save in cRPG, hes a pikeman though, did they make any changes to that?

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

So I joined up and I have still have a guy from way back save in cRPG, hes a pikeman though, did they make any changes to that?

There was a recent nerf to spin thrusts, meaning you can't do your classic jump, twist 180 degrees and stab. It's nerfed to I think 90 degrees so it's a lot tougher to do a 1-on-1 with a pike. I'd suggest picking up a 1H sword to carry as a backup weapon in the case you get into a frisky situation. Apart from that, you can still wall stab and curve your thrusts around teamates so it's hardly any different.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Kreczor posted:

There was a recent nerf to spin thrusts, meaning you can't do your classic jump, twist 180 degrees and stab. It's nerfed to I think 90 degrees so it's a lot tougher to do a 1-on-1 with a pike. I'd suggest picking up a 1H sword to carry as a backup weapon in the case you get into a frisky situation. Apart from that, you can still wall stab and curve your thrusts around teamates so it's hardly any different.

This isn't really true. You can still do the spin stab itself but you cant abuse the freelook to do it.

It is really silly that the best way to kill horses is to poke them with your spear, then hold attack and turn 360 degrees before hitting them again for "momentum."

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
The best side-arm to have while lance cav is being good at lance cav and not getting dehorsed. I went 1handed heavy cav, because I am bad. However, it does have the benefit of allowing me to use a steel pick when I am on foot. Never underestimate the steel pick.

That was fun last night, we need a bigger group to roll siege though. And getting pubbies to argue about samurai is the best thing.

For you new guys: don't worry about or even put your stats into your character until you're at least level 10 or so. Use your STF character to try out a different build or experiment with the build you want for a bit, then work on your peasant when you're familiar with it all.

Try out the builds listed in the OP, they're all generally good and will allow you to really try out what you want if you STF.

Other new player advice:
- Might as well get over the whole "I hit him but did no damage" aspect of cRPG. You will not do damage until you have several points in powerstrike and a good weapon. The most useful you will be is taking hits for valuable players or stunning enemies by hitting them in combat.
- Don't bother equipping armor until you're high level and can hold your own. Otherwise you're wasting your money on upkeep. That extra hit you can take (maybe) is worth poo poo.
- Have fun being a shithead. I prefer to wear silly hats and throw rocks while in peasant mode.
- Have your scythe or pitchfork handy in cav maps. You can still stop cavalry no matter how powerful you are if you poke them during a head-on charge.

Dr Tasty fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 9, 2012

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I forgot how much fun this game is....but wait, why doesn't my bridedress work anymore?

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 9, 2012

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one

InspectorBloor posted:

I forgot how much fun this game is....but wait, why doesn't my bridedress work anymore?

They changed some clothing to be male and female specific. That was a sad day for all of us.

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
Some useful ingame voice commands:

QDS - "Defend the Stairs" - Goon rallying call
QQF - Whistles, which will make the nearest riderless horse run to your location and stop. Use it if you get dehorsed, or if an enemy is trying to remount. Bonus points for horsebumping teamates.
QAG - "Open the GATE"
QDG - "Close the GATE"
QQQ -"I need help"
QDF - "Defend the Flag"

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
you forgot qmv, which turns off the voice commands once they get annyoing.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

siggy2021 posted:

you forgot qmv, which turns off the voice commands once they get annyoing.

More importantly, QQV which makes your character yell.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
If you don't repair broken gear does it still turn into random poo poo after a map change/reconnect?

Back when I used to play they had all the item tables hosed up so that if you had a twice broken lamellar boots you could reconnect and have a free mamluk horse forever. Something else broke and turned into free transitional armor too but I forget. Most things just turned into different broken hats. Having a 24/7 60k horse that I never had to repair was pretty sweet while it lasted though.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

If you don't repair broken gear does it still turn into random poo poo after a map change/reconnect?

Back when I used to play they had all the item tables hosed up so that if you had a twice broken lamellar boots you could reconnect and have a free mamluk horse forever. Something else broke and turned into free transitional armor too but I forget. Most things just turned into different broken hats. Having a 24/7 60k horse that I never had to repair was pretty sweet while it lasted though.

I'm pretty sure they fixed a lot of the issues regarding that. Including not having to pay upkeep on items you looted, which they fixed by not allowing you to keep items you picked up after the round is over.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

RabidFurby posted:

Some useful ingame voice commands:

QDS - "Defend the Stairs" - Goon rallying call
QQF - Whistles, which will make the nearest riderless horse run to your location and stop. Use it if you get dehorsed, or if an enemy is trying to remount. Bonus points for horsebumping teamates.
QAG - "Open the GATE"
QDG - "Close the GATE"
QQQ -"I need help"
QDF - "Defend the Flag"

QSDS - "I am defending the stairs" is what you yell back whenever someone tells you to Defend the Stairs.

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
First char is all wonky stats wise, as I've been putting points in to weird things to try out. At level 20, so I'm gonna just keep playing, retire, then restart with a cav build.

Couple questions.

Next go around, can I keep my main at 30+, then start an alt and level that up to retire? Like, could I keep one big dude to fight, and have all my alts feed in to him?

Also, where do I go to see what heirlooming something will do? Could I conceivably heirloom a rouncey to make it like one of the later horses, but with the -req so I can put those points elsewhere? Can you heirloom more than once (uberhorse)? How do I defend from that pikeman stab on a horse?

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
The only thing I have to say about that is respec right now, the 30-31 grind is the same amount of exp for 1-30 and you really need to be playing a build you enjoy so you don't check how long it is until you level every 5 minutes (it's a really long time).

e: when there was no upkeep cost for <26 characters I respecced as soon at I hit 26 a ton and trust me it takes no time at all to level up compared to how bloody long it would take to hit 31

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Sparta posted:

First char is all wonky stats wise, as I've been putting points in to weird things to try out. At level 20, so I'm gonna just keep playing, retire, then restart with a cav build.

Don't do this for the reasons mentioned above. If you don't enjoy your build by the mid 20's, you definitively need to respec.

quote:

Couple questions.

Next go around, can I keep my main at 30+, then start an alt and level that up to retire? Like, could I keep one big dude to fight, and have all my alts feed in to him?

You could, there is nothing stopping you from doing this, but honestly the grind is pretty prohibitive and you get xp and gold bonuses for putting all of your effort into a single hero. On top of that, you can get a character from level 1 to a decent fighting level in a few hours. Honestly, just look into having a skip the fun alt if you just want to play with different builds.

quote:

Also, where do I go to see what heirlooming something will do?

Items->Click on the name of an item->Ranks. You will get a screen that looks something like this:

Deadly is the first level of looming, Balanced the second, and Masterwork the third and last.

quote:

Could I conceivably heirloom a rouncey to make it like one of the later horses, but with the -req so I can put those points elsewhere?
No, the bonuses from looming something are fixed. It gives bonuses to speed, armor, HP and maneuverability for horses.

quote:

Can you heirloom more than once (uberhorse)?
Yes, you can improve any items/horses/whatever up to 3 times.

quote:

How do I defend from that pikeman stab on a horse?
Don't go near them. It sounds funny, but calvary are basically the stealth class of this game (at least until you are really good). You could also try downblocking, but that will have very limited success.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I played on one of the NA servers this morning (Eurogoon here), lo and behold, two goon horsearchers. Bob Sagget, your hat looks exceptionally silly :)

Anyway, what are we doing in Strategus?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

InspectorBloor posted:

Anyway, what are we doing in Strategus?

Waiting for the next version and hoping it's not poo poo.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I can't stop respecing :ohdear:
I'll be an archer, no! Crossbows. Crossbows kinda suck. Cav it is. Actually, maybe one-hander with a shield.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

rizuhbull posted:

I can't stop respecing :ohdear:
I'll be an archer, no! Crossbows. Crossbows kinda suck. Cav it is. Actually, maybe one-hander with a shield.

That's exactly why i stopped to play last time. Now that you mention it.... :(

At least i want to finish my crossbow guy this time. Archery at 120 with good gear is just foul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
So should I always be using the blunt end of the poleaxe? I don't really understand exactly what is different about cut vs. blunt damage but that one post on the first page said to stay clear of cutting weapons. Are there any advantages to using cutting weapons?

• Locked thread