Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Ra-amun posted:

So should I always be using the blunt end of the poleaxe? I don't really understand exactly what is different about cut vs. blunt damage but that one post on the first page said to stay clear of cutting weapons. Are there any advantages to using cutting weapons?

Cut does full damage against unarmored or very lightly armored enemies. Use blunt against everything else. Plus, the blunt side can knock people on their asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

InspectorBloor posted:

That's exactly why i stopped to play last time. Now that you mention it.... :(

At least i want to finish my crossbow guy this time. Archery at 120 with good gear is just foul.
foul in a good way? I'll keep going with my guy if so. The accuracy is astoundingly awesome, but the load times kill me, usually literally.

Ra-amun posted:

So should I always be using the blunt end of the poleaxe? I don't really understand exactly what is different about cut vs. blunt damage but that one post on the first page said to stay clear of cutting weapons. Are there any advantages to using cutting weapons?
I think cut, blunt and pierce all do different damage based on the armor they're striking. Pierce is the most effect against plate I believe, other than that I have no idea how it works out.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

rizuhbull posted:

foul in a good way? I'll keep going with my guy if so. The accuracy is astoundingly awesome, but the load times kill me, usually literally.
I think cut, blunt and pierce all do different damage based on the armor they're striking. Pierce is the most effect against plate I believe, other than that I have no idea how it works out.

Not to start to rant about archery, but yea, foul in a bad way. Accuracy and power is just horrible compared to crossbows. The higher firing frequency is nice, especially in sieges, but that's it. You feel like a shotgun kind of. A shotgun that has a hard time hitting even at closer ranges.

I'm a decent shot, got 3 bags of bodkins and a hornbow, but killing somebody in little more than leather isn't easy. You're more like a major annoyance that damages the tincans that get close while the others kill them.

It's not completely bad as an archer, but neither good or easy. Crossbows feel better if you like shooting and killing stuff.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

InspectorBloor posted:

Not to start to rant about archery, but yea, foul in a bad way. Accuracy and power is just horrible compared to crossbows. The higher firing frequency is nice, especially in sieges, but that's it. You feel like a shotgun kind of. A shotgun that has a hard time hitting even at closer ranges.

I'm a decent shot, got 3 bags of bodkins and a hornbow, but killing somebody in little more than leather isn't easy. You're more like a major annoyance that damages the tincans that get close while the others kill them.

It's not completely bad as an archer, but neither good or easy. Crossbows feel better if you like shooting and killing stuff.
Alright, thanks. Looking at the bolts vs arrows; arrows do cutting damage while bolts do pierce. So basically bolts (if I understand this right) are a fuckton more effective.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

rizuhbull posted:

Alright, thanks. Looking at the bolts vs arrows; arrows do cutting damage while bolts do pierce. So basically bolts (if I understand this right) are a fuckton more effective.

Bodkins are the only ones that do piercing dmg -> although 0 (?)

Archery is still enjoyable sometimes. Maybe it gets better later on?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Blunt and pierce will always do more damage than cut, and if you have a choice, use blunt as you have a chance to knock an opponent down. Bodkins do pierce damage with bows but they are hella expensive.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

PhantomZero posted:

Blunt and pierce will always do more damage than cut, and if you have a choice, use blunt as you have a chance to knock an opponent down. Bodkins do pierce damage with bows but they are hella expensive.
How does the bow's cut damage factor into it? I thought the arrow's and bolt's damage outputs simply added onto the bow and crossbow, but assuming that's true, how does it work if the projectile is a different type of damage? :confused:

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

rizuhbull posted:

How does the bow's cut damage factor into it? I thought the arrow's and bolt's damage outputs simply added onto the bow and crossbow, but assuming that's true, how does it work if the projectile is a different type of damage? :confused:

The damage will always take the projectile's damage type, and any additional damage you get from using different ammo will be added to the base damage of the bow.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Here are my current stats. I just hit 30, and I'm not sure what to put the remaining stats in. Since 21/15 are both multiples of 3, I was thinking I should convert that one ATT into 2 Skills. Iron Flesh should get a point, but then there's three skill points left. Is there any sense of pumping Polearms any more, or should I maybe do 3 points in Weapon Master and get me some 1 hand, for when I fall off my horse?

Attribute points:1
Strength:21+
Agility:15+
Weapon points:14
One Handed:1+
Two Handed:1+
Polearm:109+
Throwing:1+
Crossbow:1+
Archery:1+
Skill points:2
Weapon Master:0+
Athletics:5
Riding:5
Iron Flesh:6+
Shield:2+
Horse Archery:0+
Power Strike:7
Power Draw:0+
Power Throw:0+

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
re: blunt/pierce v cut

cut will always have higher "pre-mitigation" damage, the poleaxes do 40 something cut compared to 26 (i think) blunt - most of the time you'll do more damage overall with cut.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Some of you may very well know me for my QDS spam.

I miss CRPG before the voiceover filter. And even more back when there was deployable ladders. :sigh:

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

InspectorBloor posted:

That's because you're using a poo poo horn bow. The Rus Bow with bodkins is basically a rapid fire arbalest, except more accurate. 18/21 build with it, especially when you get a few looms, is probably the most OP thing in the game.

Lothar
Feb 2, 2004

ARRGH YOU'RE THE ONE THAT IS DOOMED TO SINK
scoreboard.gif

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
I'm an idiot and double posted vv

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
betterscoreboard.png

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Hey guys, lets get together and play games tonight! Say 6 EST?

I'll throw up an event on the steam group. Make sure you are in it, http://steamcommunity.com/groups/lotsandlotsojfjollyknights/

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Smoothrich posted:

That's because you're using a poo poo horn bow. The Rus Bow with bodkins is basically a rapid fire arbalest, except more accurate. 18/21 build with it, especially when you get a few looms, is probably the most OP thing in the game.
I have this setup but only 9 agi so far, shot a medium armour guy FOUR TIMES and he didn't die. :wtc:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Smoothrich posted:

Respec -> you're right. Feels way better.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I have no life so sure, let's do this.

Lothar
Feb 2, 2004

nothisisbetter.art

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Can someone give me a brief rundown on strategus?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
The way it works is you have a "hero" who moves around on the overworld map much like singleplayer. You use your hero to buy troops and equipment for said troops. When you attack someone or a fief, a battle will take place 24 hours later unless you attacked during their 8 hour "nighttime."

As there are no bots, you need to hire "mercenaries" or other players to fight alongside you, representing your loyal soldiers. You as a soldier in these battles share the level and stats as your cRPG character, but the equipment is all provided by the commander of the battle. You can only hire around 45 players for the battle, so if you have say 100 soldiers in your army the unused soldiers become "tickets" which are obviously your reinforcements.

Each side has a number of tiny flags visible on the ground which are the respawn points. Standing near them and pressing F will knock them down if they are enemy, so if you manage to wipe the enemy from the field by knocking down all the flags(respawns are not instant) you can rout them from the field and take a large amount of their equipment and troops as your own.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Oh wow, that sounds quite cool. How do you actually literally join the battle and how much time do you have? Do you get anything for acting as a mercenary to other heroes?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Go onto and click the "Battles" button beside character and ladder. That's what those are - Click one of the listings and plant yourself down for a side. I don't think you should expect to get paid any gold out of it, but maybe you can these days.

Usually with the bigger named places you have to be in their TS before the battle to get picked, but not everyone really cares. You are also stuck with picking from the gear they buy, so it can be a troublesome activity if your build is particularly specialized. (I was always stuck with a wooden sword as nine strength Desu, save for that time we fought one of the Japan-themed clans.)

It's pretty fun. The more annoying part is remembering when the hell you signed up for something.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Yeah, you join the battle via the battle tab on c-rpg.net after you login.

You can request a payment but they don't have to pay you anything. The gold is in strategus gold and you are highly unlikely to get gold unless you are really renowned. However, each strat battle is worth xp based on the amount of equipment and troops in the battle. So a small 50v50 battle amongst peasants would last maybe 10 minutes and give you maybe 50k xp, where a 2000v2000 siege with everyone wearing platemail will take an hour and net you almost a million.

Battles are time limited based on the amount of troops involved, if the attackers fail to win before that time, they are forced to retreat.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So... As a group how do we fight together?

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
If you're talking about just cRPG matches, make sure your flag is the green triple boar flag. The servers usually have banner balance and will most likely put all people with the same banner on a team. I think there's some other thing on the c-rpg.net page but i'm not sure.

Edit:
So there's also this thing called "ladder" on the character page. Just search for Lots and Lots of Jolly Knights and try to join the clan. I don't know how else it works from there.

Dr Tasty fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 13, 2012

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Crasscrab posted:

So... As a group how do we fight together?

Pretty much what tasty said.

Have the green/yellow triple pigs as your banner and we will likely be autobalanced to the same team.

Aside from that, you can use the battalion flag system by pressing v and following around the arrow/flag.

Anything else comes from experience.

Thanks for showing up everyone! We even got to do a strategus battle!

PhantomZero fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 14, 2012

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I have this setup but only 9 agi so far, shot a medium armour guy FOUR TIMES and he didn't die. :wtc:

Weapon Master raises your damage by a lot, high PD with low WPF in Archery has a bad penalty as well. Once you get your WM up, you will be doing quadruple the damage per hit of most melee classes with a rapid fire sniper rifle in no time.

With 7 PS, 140 WPF and a 43 cut 2hander, I have to hit most medium infantry 4 times as well, and heavier armors/strength builds at least 8 times, with many glances in between. A Rus Bow archer can kill me, at 60 body armor and 7 IF, in 2 body hits with regularity, 3 if he's unlucky, while being impossible to close into melee range with because of archer's turbo burst kiting ability. Once you level up, rus bow archery has no reason to complain about damage.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 14, 2012

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

PhantomZero posted:

Pretty much what tasty said.

Have the green/yellow triple pigs as your banner and we will likely be autobalanced to the same team.

Aside from that, you can use the battalion flag system by pressing v and following around the arrow/flag.

Anything else comes from experience.

Thanks for showing up everyone! We even got to do a strategus battle!

That was pretty awesome. We got to snub some clan that, apparently, we hate. They were all equipped like Sarranid Recruits and we were equipped like Swadian Man-At-Arms, so it went very well. You also get a ton of experience for it, I was getting 6k per tick.

It's important to get your level up, otherwise none of the heros/lords are going to accept your application. Further more, you don't want to use a Skip to Fun for Strategus, because then you won't be getting any EXP.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I'm interested in us getting a clan banner. I was thinking a shark, in honor of Shark Week, but I don't have the money to buy a banner. I can chip in. What do you all think?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Any banner has to be semi-approved by the devs, so it unfortunately can't be goatse. But you should be able to snag a banner slot for 25k or so.

Lothar
Feb 2, 2004

PhantomZero posted:

Any banner has to be semi-approved by the devs, so it unfortunately can't be goatse. But you should be able to snag a banner slot for 25k or so.

Let's get one.

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
I havent fought in a strategus game yet, but when I join, am I me or am I a troop? If I die, do I die, or do I respawn?

Also, if I attack someone on the strat map, 1v1, so I have my normal equipment in the fight or do I have the equipment that I've bought in the strategus game?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Sparta posted:

I havent fought in a strategus game yet, but when I join, am I me or am I a troop? If I die, do I die, or do I respawn?

Also, if I attack someone on the strat map, 1v1, so I have my normal equipment in the fight or do I have the equipment that I've bought in the strategus game?

You are you, if you die the army's ticket counter is decreased by 1 and you respawn after a certain amount of time. The amount of troops you have on the strategus map determines the number of tickets.

You use the equipment that the command of the battle has bought in strategus for the battle, always.

PhantomZero fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 14, 2012

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat

PhantomZero posted:

You use your equipment that you have bought in strategus for every battle, always.

Wait, even if I join as a merc?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I still say we should get a stylish grenade logo with a white background.

A pity it'd only really show up on shields, given the lack of heraldic stuff.

I sold my 'Loom point semi-recently, too, so I am 500k richer. I could probably buy it, no real issue.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Sparta posted:

Wait, even if I join as a merc?

Well no, if you join in as a merc you use the commander's equipment. The commander always dictates the equipment.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Okay guys, to get things rolling we need to make donations to the clan's bank. I donated 2500, and someone else donated 1000, I think. There was some money in there before, so we're at 4200. Then it's just a matter of Phantom or whoever actually winning an auction for a banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Well, no.

To get things rolling we need a banner.

• Locked thread