Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which is the greatest camera of all time
Pentax MX
Pentax ME
Pentax ME Super
Together they form a trinity of perfection.
View Results

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Welcome to the Pentax ME SuperThread

DSC00847 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

I'm glad you could join me here. Whether you're a long time Pentax M series user, or someone who is looking to join one this community, Welcome.

First, let me tell you a little of the backstory.

First, there was MX

Once upon a time, there were no cameras worth using. Some people managed, but they could not understand why their life felt empty and meaningless. But all that changed in 1975, when Asahi released the Pentax MX.

The MX was an all mechanical 35mm slr, using the wonderful Pentax K (King) mount. This camera shocked the world, with it's wonderful viewfinder, amazing ergonomics, and tank like durability.

What really lit the world afire was it's size. There were other cameras out there that worked ok, and were somewhat durable, sure! But none of them delivered in a package this small.

In fact, most of them had a moderate chance of death involved with using them.

Not this though. Look at that sexy beast.

The ME Cometh

But Asahi wasn't going to rest on the pinnacle of camera technology. Instead they decided to tell the pinnacle to gently caress off and go even higher, releasing the Pentax ME. This camera featured an amazing aperture priority mode that made photography so easy even YOU could do it. Yes, YOU. Not you though, but YOU.

This camera could do it all. Simply take the camera out, unlock the shutter, focus, adjust your aperture, and fire! One easy step from start to finish.

And the size! Lets compare the ME to another common camera of the 70's, the completely unremarkable Fujica STX-1.

DSC_1152.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Look at it, being dwarfed by the technologically inferior STX-1. And this was all while packing more features! Imagine if you will, that one of these cameras features an LED meter in the viewfinder, a beautifully bright viewfinder no less. And then add on the amazing aperture priority mode, which is capable of 30+ second accurate exposures, even in the harshest of conditions! An engineer from NASA once said "man, I wish we had these ten years ago, this would have been way nicer to bring along to the moon than those chunky hasslebads". And now... realize that you don't have to imagine. Because the Pentax ME is right there.

Waiting. Waiting for you.

The ME Super Brings About the end of all Other Cameras

But I'm sure there's still some of you (well, just you three) who are thinking to yourself "but what if I want aperture priority mode AND manual mode! What now!" . Well, to that Asahi said "bitch please, we got that", and released the Pentax. ME. Super. The greatest camera of all time.

Here is an ME Super next to an ME and a common ME knockoff. You can tell it's terrible because it says "MG" and not "ME".

DSC_1151.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Look at that sexy beast. Look at it. Now imagine taking a picture with it. And let me tell you... it's even better than that. A lot better than that.

Because the manual mode on this camera is a dream. Some cameras have a dial for shutter speed. Something that's cumbersome to manipulate. But this, this camera broke out from that. It featured buttons to change shutter speed. It's effortless to adjust this without taking your eye from the viewfinder. EFFORTLESS.

Shortly after the ME Super was released several other camera companies went under, unable to compete with it's amazingness.

Also available in SEXY BLACK CHROME.

The Belt Clip

For years people were confined to using cumbersome neckstraps to keep their cameras handy. Until the Pentax ME Belt Clip was released!

This allowed people to clip the camera right onto their belt, their sherpa, or their backpack. Or anything else really!

Just clip it on!

The ME Winder

Finally, for those few out there who still demand a bigger camera, all it not lost. Just attach the Pentax ME Winder or Pentax ME Winder II (or the Pentax MX Winder if you have an MX), and enjoy the comfortable grip that all modern cameras take after.

Also take all the pictures you could want, with it's insanely fast 1.5 fps (ME Winder) or 2.0 fps (ME Winder II). Just think of that, an entire roll of film taken in just seconds, with every picture perfectly exposed! It's mind blowing, while still feeling great.

The ME Undressed

Aww yeah, take that bottom cover off. What you're looking at here is the wind lock system. When you take a picture this system clicks, moving into position. This allows you to gently wind the film back into the spool, while at the same time marching everything else into place, resetting the shutter, bribing the local officials, whatever is needed.

DSC_1148.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

This is the interstate of the Pentax ME Superhighway.

DSC_1149.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

And this is the deep innards of the camera. Don't look if you're underage kids.

Pentax Butt by MrDespair, on Flickr

Now YOUR Job

I know some of you have Pentax M cameras out there. And I'm sure the rest of you will soon. So please, post your pictures, your cameras, your stories. Share the joy you've had! Help recruit everyone into this cult wonderful community!

Just try and keep it 5 pictures or less per post, thanks!

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

To get the ball rolling, why don't I post a few of my pictures.

img038.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img011.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img005.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

And the size! Lets compare the ME to another common camera of the 70's, the completely unremarkable Fujica STX-1.

gently caress. You.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

gently caress. You.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT :munch:

Despair, what film did you use in those shots? That B-1 shot is fantastic.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, I have to agree there, Fuji glass owns. It's a real sleeper brand that's relatively unknown because Fuji can't market their way out of a wet paper bag in the North American market, a problem that persists to this day. Their MF and LF lenses/cameras are pretty insane value for the money.

But this is the Pentax ME Superthread, and thus let it be known that the ME is the finest 35mm SLR which can be procured for less than $20. The Pentax FA Ltd 43/1.9 is a wicked pancake-sized lens, probably the best modern lens in their arsenal, and one day I will have one of them. Until then, I'll have to make do with my K28/3.5, K35/3.5, and K50/1.4. :sigh:

e: KEH doesn't have any but I think you can get the original ME for less than :10bux:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rocking a Pentax P30n for the last 3 years for all my 35mm needs :getin:
Pentax lenses are the poo poo.

Where would you get a ME for so cheap because it's like €45 on ebay.ie

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
Did I do this right?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Impact Damage posted:

Did I do this right?

You really should have your Pentax ME Supers spayed/neutered to prevent things like this from happening.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Rocking a Pentax P30n for the last 3 years for all my 35mm needs :getin:
Pentax lenses are the poo poo.

Where would you get a ME for so cheap because it's like €45 on ebay.ie

I just keep an eye out on ebay. Eventually a reasonably priced one should show up. Maybe ask a goon to buy you one someplace cheaper and ship i to you. I know I just saw an auction end at $20 with 3 cheap lenses not 5 minutes ago here, so the good deals are out there.

Impact Damage posted:

Did I do this right?

Kawaii~~~~

SoundMonkey posted:

gently caress. You.

You know it's true.

DJExile posted:

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT :munch:

Despair, what film did you use in those shots? That B-1 shot is fantastic.

Portra 400. Had a linear polarizer on too.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 6, 2012

FarmerHank
Jan 6, 2011

farming techniques vary
Well, poo poo.

Now I have to keep my eye out on ebay, My Pentax P5 is no longer going to cut it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I doubt the screen on the 110 can hold a candle to the ME's screen. So bright, split-prism, and unlike most other cameras I can make the matte field work right :allears:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
You left out the most important part, Pentax focus rings turn the correct way.

Mr. Despair posted:

The Belt Clip

For years people were confined to using cumbersome neckstraps to keep their cameras handy. Until the Pentax ME Belt Clip was released!

This allowed people to clip the camera right onto their belt, their sherpa, or their backpack. Or anything else really!

Just clip it on!

Does that work on all of them or just the ME? I don't have enough necks to carry all my cameras.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Here is my Pentax family

The K2DMD is, in my mind, a contender for best 35mm camera ever made. Mine needs TLC at the moment so I haven't shot with it as much as I'd like.
Basically it combines all the best features from the MX and ME, and puts them in a slightly larger, more heavy duty body.
  • Aperture preview in the viewfinder
  • DOF preview
  • Av Mode
  • Manual mode with dials, not buttons.
  • Metal Shutter (still max 1/1000 though)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Beastruction posted:

You left out the most important part, Pentax focus rings turn the correct way.

Does that work on all of them or just the ME? I don't have enough necks to carry all my cameras.

Works on the ME and ME Super at least. I think it'd fit an MX as well. Would really depend on if the tripod mount is in the same spot.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 7, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have two Pentax MEs. If I wasn't a scrub I'd get the Super, but I'm plenty happy shooting aperture priority.

Have a 28 2.8 on there and it's a pretty nifty go-getter.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Don't forget the Pentax ME Super SE! 45 degree split prism for those who like to focus in both landscape AND portrait orientation!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
From my ME Super:

Fuji Velvia 50 Late Winter-3 by Execudork, on Flickr

Fuji Velvia 50 Late Winter-15 by Execudork, on Flickr

Fuji Velvia 50 Late Winter-18 by Execudork, on Flickr

I haven't finished scanning the first pictures from my MX, but they'll go up soon. Both cameras are absolutely lovely. A joy to use.

I've been watching a buy-it-now belt clip for months, they just keep relisting it and not lowering the price. $40 plus shipping. But if I manage to find a deal on a pancake lens, I'll have to go for it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I've been watching that belt clip for months too. I did see another belt clip go for under 30 shipped about a month ago though, only other one I've seen. Wonder who lucked out with that one.

It was me.

Still looking for a reasonably priced 40mm pancake though. Someday.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A belt clip is a pretty great idea for a camera, wish more companies would make them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

A belt clip is a pretty great idea for a camera, wish more companies would make them.

If memory serves there was this sort of ball-and-socket deal someone made a couple years ago that clipped onto your belt.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

DJExile posted:

If memory serves there was this sort of ball-and-socket deal someone made a couple years ago that clipped onto your belt.

The Spider Camera Holster. http://www.spiderholster.com/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yes, that was it. :hfive: I don't know how much I'd want a big DSLR on a belt like that but that could be really nice for mirrorless or film cameras.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Yes, that was it. :hfive: I don't know how much I'd want a big DSLR on a belt like that but that could be really nice for mirrorless or film cameras.

I would totally rock my GH2 on one of those.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Yeah just ordered an ME Super from keh, I have my Grandmother's Pentax Spotmatic F but it no longer meters and I'm pretty sure this was the cheaper (and cooler) option compared to buying a spot meter.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Krelas posted:

Yeah just ordered an ME Super from keh, I have my Grandmother's Pentax Spotmatic F but it no longer meters and I'm pretty sure this was the cheaper (and cooler) option compared to buying a spot meter.

Get it fixed. The Spotmatic F shares a lot of parts (including meter circuits, I believe) with the later K1000. It'll be like $60 or $70 to get it fixed but the SPF is a classic. And no, you are objectively wrong, shooting with your grandmother's screwmount camera is way cooler. Grab a Takumar 35/3.5 and one of the later 28/3.5s if you can find them.

e: Also it's entirely possible the rest of the camera still works. Try shooting a roll using Sunny 16.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Paul MaudDib posted:

Get it fixed. The Spotmatic F shares a lot of parts (including meter circuits, I believe) with the later K1000. It'll be like $60 or $70 to get it fixed but the SPF is a classic. And no, you are objectively wrong, shooting with your grandmother's screwmount camera is way cooler. Grab a Takumar 35/3.5 and one of the later 28/3.5s if you can find them.

e: Also it's entirely possible the rest of the camera still works. Try shooting a roll using Sunny 16.

I've shot half a roll on it, the seals have seen better days and the shutter keeps locking up, also the lens has heaps of crap all through the inside of it, other than that it's fine. I would like to get it repaired long term but I'm thinking it's gonna be bit expensive for some of that. Also I'm doing a uni assignment where I need a good film camera right now (and I like being able to justify spending money on more cameras).

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Well this is a timely thread for me. My dad just brought out his old ME Super since he wants to take up photography now. He plans to get a digital body for the lenses though (I gather they're all 'K mount' and that this will not be a problem).

The ME Super is not working, and I'd like to try to fix it if that's a feasible DIY project. I suspect it would be cheaper to buy a new body than to have this one fixed by a pro. The problem is that the film advance lever is sticking. When I pulled the camera out of the box, I worked the lever once and it traveled all the way. It even let me fire the shutter. Once. After that, it started sticking about half way. According to my dad, the last time he picked it up after letting it sit for an extended period it did the same thing.

Does this sound like a common issue? Can I fix it just by lubricating something, or will I need to order an obscure set of widgets from Japan and buy a special jig to take it all apart and put it back together? I think it would be cool to rescue the old device, but not if it's going to cost more than a new camera.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Do not put oil into your camera. Cameras are usually designed to work dry/with graphite or with single-drop amounts of an oil that will not migrate. More than that and it will work its way into the shutter and stuff and everything will freeze up.

35mm cameras are not simple like medium/large format folders or press cameras. It's one thing to fix cosmetic stuff, but if you're digging in there you will almost certainly lose some parts. The ME is tiny for a 35mm SLR and I can only imagine how packed everything is.

Eric Hendrickson is the guy to talk to, his site is http://pentaxs.com Parts are getting hard to find and it'd probably be cheaper to buy one that's still working, but heirloom cameras own.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Well this is a timely thread for me. My dad just brought out his old ME Super since he wants to take up photography now. He plans to get a digital body for the lenses though (I gather they're all 'K mount' and that this will not be a problem).

The ME Super is not working, and I'd like to try to fix it if that's a feasible DIY project. I suspect it would be cheaper to buy a new body than to have this one fixed by a pro. The problem is that the film advance lever is sticking. When I pulled the camera out of the box, I worked the lever once and it traveled all the way. It even let me fire the shutter. Once. After that, it started sticking about half way. According to my dad, the last time he picked it up after letting it sit for an extended period it did the same thing.

Does this sound like a common issue? Can I fix it just by lubricating something, or will I need to order an obscure set of widgets from Japan and buy a special jig to take it all apart and put it back together? I think it would be cool to rescue the old device, but not if it's going to cost more than a new camera.

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/pentaxmeproblems.html is a good resource for some common fixes.

Do you know if the mirror is locked up? Is the shutter curtain reset all the way (that link has some pics of what it should look like)? Holding up the wind lock as you wind the camera can help reset everything too.

Does seem like a weird issue though, the most common issues all seem to relate to being able to wind too much without anything catching.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Thanks guys! I will try not to do anything too dumb. Looking at the second link, I'd say the inside of this camera looks like the third picture under 'Release Cycle Not Completed'. Some highly scientific finger-poking has revealed that the mirror is indeed stuck in the 'up' position (I don't think I touched the reflective part).

Maybe I'll contact the guy in the first link just to see how much the repair would run me. Of course, I don't know what else might be wrong with the thing but my dad claims any malfunctions are due to disuse, not dropping on rocks or whatever.

Although the link also says 'Seriously, the mirrorbox isn’t that hard to remove to do the job right.' so maybe I should get out the screwdrivers and compressed air and do some :science:...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Thanks guys! I will try not to do anything too dumb. Looking at the s
Although the link also says 'Seriously, the mirrorbox isn’t that hard to remove to do the job right.' so maybe I should get out the screwdrivers and compressed air and do some :science:...

Be careful. Heirloom cameras are not exactly the ones you want to be learning to repair on. Work on tile and get yourself a shallow plastic tub to catch unexpected parts. Snap a picture of every stage before you disassemble something, and get yourself a fishing tackle tray and number the boxes or something.

That sounds anal retentive, but this is the voice of experience: even simple stuff can surprise you. I was disassembling an old Kodak Ball Bearing folder to clean the lens. Open the back up, I'll wipe the glass - easy peasy, until the eponymous ball bearings fell into the carpet and I got to spend the night looking for them.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'll grant that the Pentax ME Super might be the greatest camera designed by ordinary humans, but the Olympus OM-# series are the greatest cameras designed by Yoshihisa Maitani.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

atomicthumbs posted:

I'll grant that the Pentax ME Super might be the greatest camera designed by ordinary humans, but the Olympus OM-# series are the greatest cameras designed by Yoshihisa Maitani.

Is somebody trying to start poo poo here?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

Well, you beat me to it, I was going to say that the Pentax ME Super is a nice camera for those who couldn't have an OM-2.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

For the modest price of $135 you get to look like a giant nerd.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Love will always find a way. :roboluv:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Mr. D, you didn't tell me about this thread, and here I am having to find out about it by just looking through the Dorkroom threads. Who even does that?

What happened to our love Mr. D?

I shot a bunch of Ektachrome last week with my MESupe, and I'm waiting on that to come back from the lab. So excited :getin:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I bought one. Don't let me down, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

never go rear end to mouth.

• Locked thread