Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which is the greatest camera of all time
Pentax MX
Pentax ME
Pentax ME Super
Together they form a trinity of perfection.
View Results

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Sorry, this is the thread for cameras that aren't gigantically huge and awkward and lame. Not to mention the terrible viewfinder and use of a mercury cell.

Pick up an MX if you really want all mechanical :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0MB7pJtKs

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

All that extra weight is just wasting space that you could use to carry more film.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

All that extra weight is just wasting space that you could use to carry more film.

Or another Pentax ME Super.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Sorry, this is the thread for cameras that aren't gigantically huge and awkward and lame. Not to mention the terrible viewfinder and use of a mercury cell.

Pick up an MX if you really want all mechanical :colbert:

My Spotmatic is actually tiny compared to the Yashica Electro-X it replaced in daily use. Viewfinder isn't bad either. Which just makes me curious about how bright the MX viewfinder must be.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

NihilismNow posted:

My Spotmatic is actually tiny compared to the Yashica Electro-X it replaced in daily use. Viewfinder isn't bad either. Which just makes me curious about how bright the MX viewfinder must be.

I've compared a spotmatic to an ME/ME Super, it's much better (also has the split prism). Heck, even comparing something like a Nikon FE to an ME Super is a win for the ME Super. The MX should be pretty close if not better (same magnification as the ME, but covers a bit more of the frame).

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
Hey, I wanna shoot some 3200 with my ME, it'll be cool if I just set the ISO to 1600 and then set the EV to 2x right?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cute as heck posted:

Hey, I wanna shoot some 3200 with my ME, it'll be cool if I just set the ISO to 1600 and then set the EV to 2x right?

Nope the EV knob and the ISO knob are part of the same dial, if you set it to 1600 you can't dial in additional negative EV compensation. 2x would be ISO 800.

It really is the achilles' heel of the ME. If you want to do that, get a MX so you can just tweak the ISO yourself.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

FM2n for life. A lightweight mechanical workhorse for the busy future of 1984. They even meter at trivial speeds like 3200.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

FM2n for life. A lightweight mechanical workhorse for the busy future of 1984. They even meter at trivial speeds like 3200.

My FE can meter at 3200 too.

Well, it could if the batteries didn't drain like mad because it doesn't automatically turn off the meter like an ME does.

For real though, it's a good reason to pick up an ME Super body, just so you can manually set the shutter speed for cases like that. A body probably costs as much as the film did anyways. :geno:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Crashing the party with the tank

Only 1/2000 :smith:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Cute as heck posted:

Set the ISO to 1600, shoot in manual underexposing one stop compared to what the meter thinks you should shoot. The ME does manual, right?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Set the ISO to 1600, shoot in manual underexposing one stop compared to what the meter thinks you should shoot. The ME does manual, right?

That's the ME Super.

Santa is strapped posted:

Crashing the party with the tank

Only 1/2000 :smith:

:frogout:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Show of hands, who can remember the last time they needed a shutterspeed faster than 1/2000? No one? That's what I thought. :smugdog:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I was so appalled by the anti pentax me sentament in this thread that I decided to see how many cameras I could attach to a Pentax me.

Three so far. Three.

DSC_0442.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

I was so appalled by the anti pentax me sentament in this thread that I decided to see how many cameras I could attach to a Pentax me.

Three so far. Three.

DSC_0442.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

:catstare:

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Leica M7 meters at ISO 25600 :getin:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I thought that was the price tag :haw:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

aliencowboy posted:

I thought that was the price tag :haw:

Only if it's missing the winding lever and has a caved-in back.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

8th-samurai posted:

Show of hands, who can remember the last time they needed a shutterspeed faster than 1/2000? No one? That's what I thought. :smugdog:

1/4000 f/45 and still overexposed by several stops.

Partial Solar Eclipse (8 of 10) by Execudork, on Flickr

But not on a Pentax film camera, so I guess it doesn't count.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When I lived in Australia I don't think I shot UNDER 1/2000 in the daylight.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

1/4000 f/45 and still overexposed by several stops.

Partial Solar Eclipse (8 of 10) by Execudork, on Flickr

But not on a Pentax film camera, so I guess it doesn't count.

Okay anyone taking a photo of THE SUN gets a pass. I'm sorry Australia you just gotta stop down some more.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

HookShot posted:

When I lived in Australia I don't think I shot UNDER 1/2000 in the daylight.

Yeah the daylight shits on Sunny 16, cameras here should just come with ND filters thrown in.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Pentax ME Superposting.

hp5030.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

hp5019.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

hp5013.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

hp5021.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

hp5036.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What lenses were those shot with?

I was at the antique store the other day and someone was selling a K1000 (neat) with a broke-rear end 50/2 (eh) and a wide-angle converter that threads onto a 52mm filter thread (neat!) all for $15. I couldn't pass it up. I shot a roll with my 50/1.4 and the .46x adapter thing, and I'm excited to develop that film.

But now I have a problem with my MESupe! After I release the shutter, I go to wind to the next frame, and the lever moves all the way to the right, but then I have to kind of jiggle it back and forth a bit for it to "click" and actually finish winding/cocking the shutter. Anybody experience this before? Granted I can just buy a new body for like $15 and fix the problem but still.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

It was all with the smc-m 50mm/1.4 .

As far as the camera issue, maybe the wind lock lever in the bottom of the camera is getting bent wrong? Might need to be bent back a tiny bit so that it catches properly. Maybe.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr. Despair posted:

As far as the camera issue, maybe the wind lock lever in the bottom of the camera is getting bent wrong? Might need to be bent back a tiny bit so that it catches properly. Maybe.

:ohdear: Dare I venture into the unknown uncharted depths of the internal ME Super? :ohdear:

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
Will the ME Super release it's shutter if the battery is dead?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Miso Beno posted:

Will the ME Super release it's shutter if the battery is dead?

I think you can use 125x and B, but not Auto or M. I don't have my camera with me though so I could be wrong.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

QPZIL posted:

I think you can use 125x and B, but not Auto or M. I don't have my camera with me though so I could be wrong.

This is right, even if you have it in Auto or M mode it'll release at 1/125.

Also now my ME Super is slipping too, probably going to open it up and tweak it tonight. I can take more pics of the process if you want.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr. Despair posted:

This is right, even if you have it in Auto or M mode it'll release at 1/125.

Also now my ME Super is slipping too, probably going to open it up and tweak it tonight. I can take more pics of the process if you want.

Please do. The past week or two it's required more and more jiggling to get it to click on the next frame, so I'll probably have to do some surgery soon.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Please do. The past week or two it's required more and more jiggling to get it to click on the next frame, so I'll probably have to do some surgery soon.

Ok, it's magically working fine again but I can still open it up and point stuff out.

First, flip the camera over and look at the bottom. We need to remove three screws on the bottom. There's only three screws, nothing special. Put these somewhere safe. Also note that the small screw is the middle screw.

If you have the battery door on still be careful, it will come out with the baseplate, so be ready for batteries to fall out (or remove them first). So with that in mind, pull off the bottom plate. It should pop right off. Once you have this open the only other piece to worry about is the plastic washer on the rewind film button. Keep an eye on it, there's nothing holding it in besides friction at this point.

So, now that we have the bottom off lets look at the base. On the left we have some electrical junk, don't' care about that. The middle is also boring. All the fun is on the right hand side there.

There are a few important pieces here. First, there's the silver lever in the middle of things. This is the bit that generally gets bent. But not on the side you can see easy! follow it to the left, you'll see it sort of drops down into the camera. That's the bit you generally need to jiggle a bit, I normally just push it down with a screw driver a tad. Be gentle, and test often. If you bend it too far it can get messy.

So now, that's probably all you need to do to coax it back together, but there are some other nice tricks. Say everything jsut seems jammed up in the camera. Look above the magic lever and you'll see a dark lever that is probably flush against a little wheel. That's the actual wind lock. A lot of issues can be fixed by holding the wind lock up (with say, a screwdriver) and then winding the camera as normal. If your camera is stuck in constant winding you'll see this lever stay up after you wind instead of catching.

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

Mr. Despair posted:

Ok, it's magically working fine again but I can still open it up and point stuff out.

Thank you for this. I got this camera from my grandfather after he passed and I always wanted to fix it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
So I finally got a ME Super body. Now I need to get a lens for it. Where should I look for a basic lens like a 50mm? Any recommendations for a specific lens to look for? Will this one from keh work?

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 4, 2012

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'd recommend the f/1.7 over the f/2, not much more money for a much better lens.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Spedman posted:

I'd recommend the f/1.7 over the f/2, not much more money for a much better lens.

So this one? What makes it a better lens? I don't mind spending a little more as long as I know why. This is basically going to be my first foray in to film to see if I like it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I think it's just supposed to be a sharper, nicer lens overall than the f/2 models. I don't have one myself though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Atticus_1354 posted:

So this one? What makes it a better lens? I don't mind spending a little more as long as I know why. This is basically going to be my first foray in to film to see if I like it.

It's a little faster, which gives you a half stop more flexibility in low light, and it sharpens up more/faster than the f/2. The f/1.7 is generally regarded as the best 50mm lens in the lineup unless you really need a f/1.2 or f/1.4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
While we're on the topic, are there any recommendations for a k-mount wide-angle lens? That pancake is really sexy but I was looking for something with a shorter focal length for that hella sweet bokeh :madmax:

• Locked thread