Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which is the greatest camera of all time
Pentax MX
Pentax ME
Pentax ME Super
Together they form a trinity of perfection.
View Results

• Locked thread
HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rio posted:

On Thursday I will have an ME Super that is in very condition but has no hotshoe that was 20 bucks.

1) was this a good deal 2) when and by how much can I expect my life to be notably awesomer and 3) I have the 50 f2 some 135 2.5 and a not that great 80-200 3.9 (or something) lens already from my in law's old MG, would it be better to save for the 50 1.7 or is there a wider lens I could find that has a good price/performance ratio?

The 50 f/2 is fine for general use. For messing around, you're not going to be seeing any significant difference with a 50 f/1.7. I would also agree that a 28mm f/2.8 would be a good addition to your kit at minimal cost. Check your local camera stores or camera swap meets for used lenses. Chances are they may still have a Pentax brand 28mm lens for a good price because eBay has gotten silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If anyone has any pictures of their ME, ME Super, or MX with a catte, please post them.

It's for science.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Sorry I'm a dog person :colbert:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

QPZIL posted:

Sorry I'm a dog person :colbert:

Noone cares about your fursona bro.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

If anyone has any pictures of their ME, ME Super, or MX with a catte, please post them.

It's for science.

Look what came today:

DSC00847 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

For 20 bucks I can't complain. It is in pristine condition - the finder is really amazingly bright. My point of comparison is my old Canon AE-1 but it is amazing in that with a 50mm on when I look above the camera and then back to the finder it looks exactly the same (the AE-1 looks a bit darker and somehow grainier).

For the price though, it does not have a hotshoe. As in there is a hole where it would normally go. I put some duct tape on it for now but it is not flat as there are 4 very small posts sticking up...I am trying to figure out what I can use to seal it, any ideas?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rio posted:

Look what came today:

DSC00847 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

For 20 bucks I can't complain. It is in pristine condition - the finder is really amazingly bright. My point of comparison is my old Canon AE-1 but it is amazing in that with a 50mm on when I look above the camera and then back to the finder it looks exactly the same (the AE-1 looks a bit darker and somehow grainier).

For the price though, it does not have a hotshoe. As in there is a hole where it would normally go. I put some duct tape on it for now but it is not flat as there are 4 very small posts sticking up...I am trying to figure out what I can use to seal it, any ideas?

If you want I can probably mail you a new top plate to replace that one, it's not too hard to replace. Would probably only cost a dollar or two to mail it. (seriously, I have 3 or 4 parts cameras here that I could steal one from).

e. also totally putting that pic in the OP.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 15, 2012

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

If you want I can probably mail you a new top plate to replace that one, it's not too hard to replace. Would probably only cost a dollar or two to mail it. (seriously, I have 3 or 4 parts cameras here that I could steal one from).

Oh cool, that would be awesome! Can I pm you my address and Paypal you a few bucks? Does the plate just snap on?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rio posted:

Oh cool, that would be awesome! Can I pm you my address and Paypal you a few bucks? Does the plate just snap on?

Yeah, that would be fine, i'll reply to your pm with my paypal address.

It's a little different than taking the top cover of the ME off like I did here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=410578675#post410304469 but the main (annoying) points are the same, as far as taking the bit off the winding lever and taking the rewind lever off. The big difference is the screw location and the fact that I don't think you have to take the shutter assembly off, but when I take the cover off I'll take pics as I go.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ollie the Catte with MX by Execudork, on Flickr

Not my catte, Ollie gives no fucks while lording over his patch of pavement on my commute. This picture was taken about 1 second before he head-butt-rammed my digital P&S in demand of more thorough attention from me.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Forgot that I uploaded this after my ME Super came last week:

DSC00840 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
This thread inspires me. How much should I expect to pay for a functional ME Super? I checked out ebay and they seem to range from $50-$190 for working ones. That's a big range? Is it possibly more economical to buy one with something broken and then repair it?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

pageerror404 posted:

This thread inspires me. How much should I expect to pay for a functional ME Super? I checked out ebay and they seem to range from $50-$190 for working ones. That's a big range? Is it possibly more economical to buy one with something broken and then repair it?

You should be able to find a working ME Super kit around $20-30 bucks shipped on ebay if you're willing to wait long enough. I buy most of mine by the box and fix them, but it's pretty hit or miss.

The safest way to do it is to just buy this BGN grade ME Super from keh for 25 bucks: http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Manual-Focus-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-PK020107000090?r=FE , you can toss in a 50mm lens for as little as 15 bucks more, and then 12 bucks shipping on top of that. About 50 bucks for the kit, but you get a warranty that way.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Jump on that! ME Supers on KEH are becoming oddly rare nowadays :\

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I secretly love this thread since a hand-me-down ME Super was my first SLR camera (I still have it). I still yearn for the viewfinder and focusing screen when using my (non-full frame) dSLR.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

Mr. Despair posted:

You should be able to find a working ME Super kit around $20-30 bucks shipped on ebay if you're willing to wait long enough. I buy most of mine by the box and fix them, but it's pretty hit or miss.

The safest way to do it is to just buy this BGN grade ME Super from keh for 25 bucks: http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Manual-Focus-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-PK020107000090?r=FE , you can toss in a 50mm lens for as little as 15 bucks more, and then 12 bucks shipping on top of that. About 50 bucks for the kit, but you get a warranty that way.

drat I'm unfortunately in an awkward stretch where I'm moving in about a week. I can't order anything right now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

pageerror404 posted:

drat I'm unfortunately in an awkward stretch where I'm moving in about a week. I can't order anything right now.

Just have it shipped to me, I'm make sure you get it

(when I'm done with it)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Check Craigslist for cheap ME Supers.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
I just bought a (supposedly) great condition ME Super SE with a 50mm 1.7 lens for $60 shipped. Seems like a reasonably good deal to me. Unfortunately the seller chose to use the slowest shipping imaginable. It could take up to 19 days. I didnt know you could buy shipping that slow. I think it may literally arrive by donkey.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

pageerror404 posted:

I just bought a (supposedly) great condition ME Super SE with a 50mm 1.7 lens for $60 shipped. Seems like a reasonably good deal to me. Unfortunately the seller chose to use the slowest shipping imaginable. It could take up to 19 days. I didnt know you could buy shipping that slow. I think it may literally arrive by donkey.

I see someone hasn't ordered from DealExtreme before.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Looking for my first ME Super, is there any major difference between the 50mm f/2 and the 1.7?

Also how reliable do the light sensors on ME supers tend to be? This will be my first real foray into film photography since making GBS threads about with point and shoots when I was a kid so I will need a camera that holds my hand a bit :v:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shazaminator posted:

Looking for my first ME Super, is there any major difference between the 50mm f/2 and the 1.7?

Also how reliable do the light sensors on ME supers tend to be? This will be my first real foray into film photography since making GBS threads about with point and shoots when I was a kid so I will need a camera that holds my hand a bit :v:

A half stop of speed, which gives you a little smaller depth of field, brighter viewfinder, more visible "split" in the prism, and the 1.7 may be very marginally sharper. Basically I'd go for the 1.7 since there's no practical difference in price and it's a better lens.

The ME uses a battery-powered sensor, which tend to be extremely reliable. It should either work or not, they usually don't drift. I won't say never but out of probably a dozen or two ancient cameras I've seen exactly one that was off, and I highly suspect that one had the meter adjusted as that's a common mod to that camera.

The ME Super is a great hand-holding or even a serious camera, it's super easy to use and has one of the best viewfinders ever put in cameras. Somehow it's also tiny. Pentax made a full-manual mechanical version, the MX, and from there it was basically downhill.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 25, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Shazaminator posted:

On top of that the light sensor is pretty easy to adjust if it is off, it's not all that different from the ME write up that I did here.

(I swear I'll get that write up on taking the top off of an ME Super one of these days).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I'm kind of curious how it will perform on small format.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Do you get infinity focus with it?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

Do you get infinity focus with it?

Yes. You can get infinity with any lens that has a register distance longer than yours, and as the mirror for 6x7 is considerably larger than a 35mm mirror it has a much larger register distance to fit everything in.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
This sleek bastard just arrived from ebay. What's awesome is the original case and strap. Also the lens had an old filter on it, but when I took it off the lens was in flawless condition... Must have been there since it was new. Can't wait to get a battery and replace the light seals.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

#wow #whoa

:drat:

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

#italiano

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Don't bother replacing the light seals. It may be fine as is. Just go out and shoot. I've never replaced the seals on any of my cameras and they've been fine. They usually design the film backs with a sort of baffle around the edge so no seal is necessary unless your door hinge is super duper loose.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
I at least would like to replace the mirror damper pad which has basically rotted off completely. Anyone know a good place to buy them?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

While at my grandfather-in-law's house tonight he gave me a 50mm 1.7, a screw mount 55 1.8 and a couple of teleconverters - pretty cool of him. I also got a loving jammed film advance lever on my ME Super and am not sure where to start in terms of getting it working again.

I took one shot tonight and the film advanced, but it didn't seem to go through all of the way. The shutter will not fire (even on 125x), the lever will come out away from the body but will not advance (film or no film) and even after giving up on the roll of film I had in there and removing it, the film rewind button on the bottom of the camera will not pop back out from the depressed position. The mirror is down and the shutter seems to be in the right position, reset and ready to go.

I have googled this and it seems like there a lot of things to try, but any good guesses as to where I should start?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Taken with my beloved ME Super

0011_14.jpg by Winston85, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rio posted:

While at my grandfather-in-law's house tonight he gave me a 50mm 1.7, a screw mount 55 1.8 and a couple of teleconverters - pretty cool of him. I also got a loving jammed film advance lever on my ME Super and am not sure where to start in terms of getting it working again.

I took one shot tonight and the film advanced, but it didn't seem to go through all of the way. The shutter will not fire (even on 125x), the lever will come out away from the body but will not advance (film or no film) and even after giving up on the roll of film I had in there and removing it, the film rewind button on the bottom of the camera will not pop back out from the depressed position. The mirror is down and the shutter seems to be in the right position, reset and ready to go.

I have googled this and it seems like there a lot of things to try, but any good guesses as to where I should start?

The quickest thing to try would be to open up the bottom plate (just 3 screws on the bottom). Then lift up this lever here (this is what is actually preventing you from winding the camera repeatedly).

Lift it up (a flathead screwdriver works well for this) and hold it up as you wind the camera, with any luck this will reset everything and get it working again.

If that doesn't work, check that the shutter curtain is down all the way, you might be able to drag it down to finish the cycle.

Check #2 on this page AND the bolded bit right before number 2.

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/pentaxmeproblems.html

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

It's for science.

I just got one from ebay:

Baxter's new camera by stesykes, on Flickr

An ME, not a cat. £23 including the 50mm f/1.7 lens, which seems pretty good.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
My dad gave me some camera stuff that used to belong to his family. A few Canon and Nikon bodies, but I especially loved a Pentax ME Super with a 40-80mm macro zoom lens, with three extension tubes, and the ubiquitous 50/1.7 lens.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

The quickest thing to try would be to open up the bottom plate (just 3 screws on the bottom). Then lift up this lever here (this is what is actually preventing you from winding the camera repeatedly).

Lift it up (a flathead screwdriver works well for this) and hold it up as you wind the camera, with any luck this will reset everything and get it working again.

If that doesn't work, check that the shutter curtain is down all the way, you might be able to drag it down to finish the cycle.

Check #2 on this page AND the bolded bit right before number 2.

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/pentaxmeproblems.html

Thanks a lot for the info. It looks like the second shutter had shut and it froze up there; the reset went perfectly and I am now a cool dude with a working ME Super again.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I took my ME Super out in the cold to shoot today and the shutter decided to start slipping. Hopefully it starts working ok once it warms up :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DanTheFryingPan posted:

My dad gave me some camera stuff that used to belong to his family. A few Canon and Nikon bodies, but I especially loved a Pentax ME Super with a 40-80mm macro zoom lens, with three extension tubes, and the ubiquitous 50/1.7 lens.

Your dad truly loves you

• Locked thread