Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I think someone tried missiling it a couple of times, to no avail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Missiles, 'nades, tech armor, melee, targeted and AoE powers, nothing worked. The Headless Collector could have wiped us.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Amazing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
There's something about that map since I also played a game with an invincible enemy - a Geth Hunter - that only died when it vaulted cover and fell out of the map.

The headless thing is way cooler, though.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I googled a bit and apparently the bug is caused by a failed grab (maybe TauDX managed to headshot it while someone else was grabbing it?) and that you can fix it by luring it to the same place where it was originally grabbed. Then it will fall through the map.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Well, I've gotten hooked again. I blame whoever put that suggested build for every class up, it's actually made the Volus vanguard fun (last thing I needed to do get outsider mastery, kind of bummed me out).

Question though; if I've only got Ultra-rare guns left to upgrade/find (still no Spitfire or Venom), is it better in terms of odds buying P Spectre packs or Arsenal packs?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oh hey, that's the same bug I had once on Reactor with an immortal marauder. Tried to grab it while it was jumping over cover, and poo poo went south from there. I was just pubbing and didn't have any recordings of it, sadly.

E:

GenericOverusedName posted:

How's about this one I ran into while finishing up my geth trooper waves earlier today?

I tried to grabkill a marauder, but due to lag and it attempting to vault the cover, somehow the grab animation fails to complete and the marauder ends up not dead, but standing next to me and pissed off. I run off to better cover, kill everything else but that marauder is still alive and harassing the team. I shoot it. It takes no damage. I use my flamethrower on it. It takes no damage. Said marauder ends up in the middle of that sort of 'oh gently caress' orgy of brutes and banshees and it's wrecking the pubs who are chain-reviving each other in a futile cycle so I fire a missile at the mess. Everything dies... except for that loving marauder.

I dont know what the gently caress, so I fire two more missiles at this single goddamn marauder. It takes no damage! It's the last enemy of the wave, and none of us can actually kill it so we're running around and panicking while it shoots and glurbles at us. I watch it jump over low cover... and then fall through the floor. Since I've got hunter mode I watch the drat thing fall off the bottom of the map and disappear. Wave completed.

This is why I call them "Glarbles" now.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 18, 2014

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Serpentis posted:

Well, I've gotten hooked again. I blame whoever put that suggested build for every class up, it's actually made the Volus vanguard fun (last thing I needed to do get outsider mastery, kind of bummed me out).

Question though; if I've only got Ultra-rare guns left to upgrade/find (still no Spitfire or Venom), is it better in terms of odds buying P Spectre packs or Arsenal packs?

Arsenal packs are the way to go. Statistically, they give you two (independent) ~8% chances to get an ultra-rare. The other 99k packs are similar with respect to Ultra-rares, but Arsenal packs don't give you crappy common/uncommon character cards.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Pubbie loadout in my lobby:

AIU with Valiant I, no gear
N7 Slayer with Revenant 1, Geth SMG I, no gear
Vorcha Engineer with Geth Spitfire I, no gear

Time to put on Cyclonic IVs and other solo gear. :shepicide:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Smol posted:

Pubbie loadout in my lobby:

AIU with Valiant I, no gear
N7 Slayer with Revenant 1, Geth SMG I, no gear
Vorcha Engineer with Geth Spitfire I, no gear

Time to put on Cyclonic IVs and other solo gear. :shepicide:

Or you can just exit the lobby and hope for a better one.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Smol posted:

Arsenal packs are the way to go. Statistically, they give you two (independent) ~8% chances to get an ultra-rare. The other 99k packs are similar with respect to Ultra-rares, but Arsenal packs don't give you crappy common/uncommon character cards.

Good to know, thank you. And now that I've gone back and checked, dratthank you for getting me back into this, I didn't need spare time...

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
So if we just wanted to get in on this, would goons drag someone new along? I'm mainly interested to get my war score up for sp, but I do loves me some coop too.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jiro Kage posted:

So if we just wanted to get in on this, would goons drag someone new along? I'm mainly interested to get my war score up for sp, but I do loves me some coop too.

PC?

But yea tons of goons would help you. Hell it would give me a good excuse to de-rust.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Or you can just exit the lobby and hope for a better one.

It was my own lobby and I didn't feel like waiting 5 minutes for a new lobby to fill up. And besides, somebody's gotta keep the pubbies alive. :clint:

Jiro Kage posted:

If you're on PC, feel free to add me. sluukkonen on Origin. We can help you finish some gold matches, so you don't have to grind bronze.

Smol fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 19, 2014

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

Smol posted:

If you're on PC, feel free to add me. sluukkonen on Origin.

Yeah, PC.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I briefly tried last night and it found no games, probably due to my settings. Then I tried bronze solo and nearly fell over side I had only level 1 biotic charge. Quite a bit different than sp, more so than I expected.

Edit: vvv pretty sure that I do, but that may have been the problem. I'll make sure tonight.

Jiro Kage fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 19, 2014

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Jiro Kage posted:

Yeah, PC.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I briefly tried last night and it found no games, probably due to my settings. Then I tried bronze solo and nearly fell over side I had only level 1 biotic charge. Quite a bit different than sp, more so than I expected.

Do you have all the (free) multiplayer DLCs installed? You need all of them if you want to find someone to play with.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Smol posted:

If you're on PC, feel free to add me. sluukkonen on Origin. We can help you finish some gold matches, so you don't have to grind bronze.

I'll add you too, I've been quite interested in actually playing this game multiplayer with people who coordinate on voice.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Zoran’s Builds (Sentinel, Infiltrator, & Vanguard)
~*optimal incendiary cheese, part the second*~

I'm continuing my guide with builds for the other three classes. To repeat myself: the following builds are geared toward “endgame” play on Platinum or Gold with top-tier equipment. They are specifically designed to exploit the gently caress out of the most broken things in the game. Usually, that means doing whatever I can to maximize DPS, often at the expense of unique class features. If that’s not your cup of tea, that’s fine. I like a good gimmick build just as much as the next guy; that’s just not the purpose of this guide.

Sentinels
This class has always been my baby, and I love them all to death. Well, almost all of them.

Human
  • Tech Armor 6: Durability – Power Damage – Durability
  • Warp 6: Detonate – Expose – Pierce
  • Throw 6: Radius – Detonate – Force & Damage
  • Alliance Training 4: Damage & Capacity
  • Fitness 4: Durability
Weapon: Reegar (Spare Thermal Clip + Shredder Mod)
Rail Amp: Shotgun
Ammo: Incendiary
Armor: Cyclonic Modulator
Gear: Stronghold Package

Defensive Benchmark: 2480 (Gold Nemesis)

Same as usual: cast Warp on bosses, then melt them. On single mooks, just use Throw to stagger the foe. When there’s a large cluster of enemies, try to cast Warp on the largest one and then use Throw to detonate a biotic combo. The Warp-Throw combo is one of the best in the game for pure damage potential, so use it.

Turian
  • Tech Armor 4: Durability
  • Overload 6: Chain Overload – Neural Shock – Shield Damage
  • Turian Veteran 6: Damage & Capacity – Headshots – Damage & Stability

Defensive Benchmark: 3536 (Perfect)

The turian sentinel is just fantastic in almost every respect. Warp affords him awesome damage potential; he gets a really sweet detonator/crowd-control power in Overload; he gets amazing durability from Tech Armor; and he enjoys those sweet, sweet Turian racial passives.

Krogan
  • Tech Armor 6: Durability – Power Damage – Power Recharge
  • Incinerate 6: Radius – Recharge Speed – Armor Damage
  • Lift Grenade 6: Damage – Max Grenades – Damage & Radius
  • Krogan Berserker 6: Damage & Capacity – Headshots – Shotguns
  • Rage 0
Weapon: Reegar (Spare Thermal Clip + High-Velocity Barrel)
Gear: Shock Trooper Upgrade

Defensive Benchmark: 3571 (Perfect)

Remember how amazing the krogan soldier was? The sentinel edition’s power set is a refinement of the same idea. The soldier’s inferno grenades are cool because they prepare so many enemies for cheesy Incendiary death, but Incinerate does most of the same work without requiring grenades. Lift Grenades together with Tech Armor’s static power damage bonus do a lot of work all by themselves—just toss a couple into a room to clear out a horde of mooks.

The only major disadvantage of the sentinel edition is that he too many good powers and not enough points, meaning he has nothing left to invest in Rage. That leaves you slightly less godlike than the krogan soldier.

Batarian
  • Blade Armor 3
  • Shockwave 6: Force & Damage – Detonate – Recharge Speed
  • Submission Net 6: Damage – Damage & Slow – Electric Field
  • Batarian Enforcer 5: Damage & Capacity – Headshots
  • Fitness 6: Durability – Shield Recharge – Fitness Expert
Weapon: Reegar (Spare Thermal Clip + High-Caliber Barrel)
Ammo: Armor-Piercing
Gear: Shield Booster

Defensive Benchmark: 3415 (Perfect)

The batarian sentinel’s powers are thoroughly mediocre. On PC, you can’t use the Radius evolution of Shockwave, so it’s kind of difficult to hit enemies with. Submission Net is a cool concept for a power, but it tends to miss its targets; you need to practice with it to get used to its tracking behavior. Try to cast your Net on enemies without armor so that the Electric Field activates. Once that enemy is out of commission, ignore it and clear out other baddies in the vicinity.

The nice thing about this guy is that he works well with both biotic and tech-based teammates. He can detonate really powerful biotic explosions and also set up plenty of tech bursts.

Vorcha
  • Bloodlust 6: Health Regeneration – Power Damage – Health Regeneration
  • Flamer 6: Reach – Damage – Armor Damage
  • Cluster Grenade 6: Force & Damage – Damage Combo – Shrapnel
  • Vorcha Resilience 4: Damage & Capacity
Weapon: Reegar (High-Velocity Barrel + Spare Thermal Clip)
Armor: Power Amplifier Module

Defensive Benchmark: 1125 (Gold Hunter)

The vorcha sentinel is the vorcha soldier for people who really like grenades. That’s pretty much it! This class is a lot better when working with biotic teammates, since biotic primers boost your Cluster Grenades’s damage.

N7 Paladin
  • Energy Drain 4: Damage
  • Incinerate 6: Radius – Recharge Speed – Armor Damage
  • Snap Freeze 6: Reach – Cryo Explosion – Damage & Weakness
  • N7 Paladin 6: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage – Weapon Weight
  • Shield Master 4: Durability

Defensive Benchmark: 2400 (Platinum Atlas)

Meet the best engineer in the game. Snap Freeze is Mass Effect 3’s most spammable power, and should be applied liberally. If you’re facing synthetics or shielded enemies, follow that up with an Energy Drain for a cryo explosion and an armor boost. Otherwise, cast Incinerate, then repeat this process.

Incinerate + Incendiary Ammo once again eats boss enemies alive.

Volus Mercenary
  • Decoy 0
  • Combat Drone 6: Shields & Damage – Shields & Damage – Rockets
  • Shield Boost : Shields – Recharge Speed – Protection
  • Volus Training 6: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage – Weapon Damage
Gear: Shotgun Amp

Defensive Benchmark: 2520 (Gold Nemesis)

The volus mercenary sucks. A lot.

I prefer the rocket drone to explosive drone for this class because the rockets provide nice DPS support and your drone doesn’t die as quickly. That means you can spend more time keeping your own rear end alive with Shield Boost. Use your cloak to close distance with the enemy. Then let the Reegar do its thing.

Asari Valkyrie
  • Tech Armor 6: Durability – Power Damage – Durability
  • Annihilation Field 6: Impact Radius – Damage Taken – Drain
  • Asari Valkyrie 4: Damage & Capacity

Finally we reach my favorite class. I’m fairly certain that (at least in actual practice) the asari valkyrie achieves the highest single-target DPS in the entire game, which is quite a surprising feat for a class that doesn’t have any direct weapon-boosting powers.

The magic happens with debuff stacking alongside incendiary stacking. With Warp and Annihilation Field active, the ridiculous Warp+Incendiary damage is 30% stronger. That lets you do really awesome things, such as comfortably killing a Platinum Atlas in less than one Reegar magazine. You’re the ultimate boss killer.

The main reason to go for max durability in Tech Armor and pick the Shield Booster is to enable your shields to withstand every attack in the game except a Platinum Nemesis shot and Gold/Platinum Scion shots without reaching shield gate.

Krogan Warlord
  • Tech Armor 6: Durability – Melee Damage – Durability
  • Biotic Hammer 6: Damage & Force – Armor Damage – Number of Charges
  • Electrical Hammer 0
  • Krogan Warlord 6: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage – Shotguns
  • Warlord Rage 6: Melee Damage – Martial Artist – Pure Rage
Weapon: Wraith (Smart Choke + Omni-Blade)
Rail Amp: Strength Enhancer
Gear: Juggernaut Shield

Defensive Benchmark: 7632 (Perfect)

The game’s purest melee class, the krogan warlord dishes out disgusting amounts of damage. One strike from Biotic Hammer deals more than 10,000 damage to armor, ~7500 to barriers, and ~6300 to barriers. In short, that one strike will end lives.

The Wraith is a nice choice for secondary weapon because it allows you to equip the Shotgun Omni-Blade and works at a decent range, especially with the Smart Choke. It’s also very light for a shotgun, making it easier to keep Biotic Hammer active.

Infiltrators
Technically speaking, almost every infiltrator is better off taking a Reegar. However, I’m not going to recommend that on classes that are exceptionally good at sniping. A sniper rifle is undeniably worse for your overall damage output, but a good sniper brings a lot of value to a team with long-range support and (hopefully) the ability to thin out crowds of enemies.

Human
  • Tactical Cloak 6: Damage – Recharge Speed – Bonus Power
  • Cryo Blast 6: Radius – Cryo Explosion – Frozen Vulnerability
  • Sticky Grenade 0
  • Alliance Training 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
Weapon: Claymore (Smart Choke + High-Caliber Barrel)

Defensive Benchmark: 1725 (Platinum Ravager)

The human infiltrator was the original shotgun infiltrator, back in the days when Proximity Mine wasn’t that good and the Geth Infiltrator and AIU didn’t exist. Even though she’s been upstaged by better models, she’s still pretty potent. Cryo Blast is effective as always, and Tactical Cloak is probably the single best power in the game.

Salarian
  • Tactical Cloak 6: Damage – Recharge Speed – Sniper Damage
  • Proximity Mine 5: Radius – Damage Taken
  • Energy Drain 6: Damage – Drain – Damage
  • Salarian Operative 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
  • Fitness 3
Weapon: Black Widow (Spare Thermal Clip + High-Velocity Barrel) & Acolyte (Ultralight Materials + High-Caliber Barrel)
Rail Amp: Sniper Rifle
Ammo: Phasic

Defensive Benchmark: 1830 (Platinum Rocket Trooper)

The sniper salarian infiltrator relies a lot on Energy Drain. It’s really great for stopping mooks in their tracks, lining them up for easy headshots; it also does great work stripping shields, which is really important if you miss the headshot. Save your proximity mine for boss enemies who require extra firepower to take down.

Phasic rounds are absolutely mandatory on all sniper builds.

Quarian Female
  • Tactical Cloak 6: Damage – Recharge Speed – Sniper Damage
  • Sticky Grenade 0
  • Sabotage 6: Backfire – Explosive Hack – Tech Vulnerability
  • Quarian Defender 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
Weapon: Widow (Spare Thermal Clip + High-Velocity Barrel) & Acolyte (Ultralight Materials + High-Caliber Barrel)
Rail Amp: Sniper Rifle
Ammo: Phasic

Defensive Benchmark: 2010 (Gold Atlas)

The quarian female sniper is a bit worse than her salarian friend by herself, but she shines on teams that are really heavy on tech powers. Tech Vulnerability multiplies the damage from most tech powers, some melee attacks, and all tech combos (tech bursts, fire explosions, and cryo explosions) by 1.5, which is really great when you’re paired with a Snap Freeze or Flamer user.

The other upside of the quarian female infiltrator compared to the salarian is that her skill points aren’t spread as thin, so she can invest a little more in her defenses. We’re using the Widow rather than the Black Widow because we need the extra power to break down shields with the damage from Phasic Ammo alone.

Geth
  • Tactical Cloak 4: Damage
  • Proximity Mine 5: Radius – Damage Taken
  • Hunter Mode 6: Weapon Accuracy – Rate of Fire – Speed & Vision
  • Networked AI 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
  • Advanced Hardware 5: Durability – Shield Recharge
Weapon: Piranha (Smart Choke + High-Caliber Barrel)

Defensive Benchmark: 1950 (Gold Atlas)

This is Geth infiltrator, god of death—worse than the Valkyrie at killing bosses, but much better at destroying everything else. The Piranha here gets a huge boost from accuracy bonuses, so it can kill easily even from medium range.

Quarian Male
  • Tactical Scan 6: Weapon Damage – Movement Speed – Damage
  • Arc Grenade 6: Damage – Electrical Damage – Armor-Piercing
  • Alliance Training 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage

Defensive Benchmark: 1740 (Platinum Ravager)

Destroy hordes of mooks with grenades—make sure to use them only while cloaked for a nice damage boost. Cast tactical scan on bosses prior to cloaking, then move in to take them out.

N7 Shadow
  • Tactical Cloak 6: Duration – Melee Damage – Bonus Power
  • Electric Slash 5: Radius – Detonate
  • Shadow Strike 6: Damage – Electric Damage – Damage
  • N7 Shadow 3
  • Sword Mastery 6: Sword Damage – Martial Artist – Shield Damage
Weapon: Wraith (Smart Choke + Omni-Blade)

Defensive Benchmark: 1525 (Gold Rocket Trooper)

This is the only class where we take Duration and Bonus Power on Cloak; that lets us use Shadow Strike while cloaked and then remain hidden while we run away. Electric Slash gives great team support when you’re in a group with a bunch of other tech users; you can cast it through walls to stay out of harm’s way. This particular build does just barely enough damage to kill a Phantom or Dragoon with a single Shadow Strike on Platinum, which is pretty drat cool.

The Shadow is a finesse character. You have to learn to pick your battles and avoid rushing headlong into the fray.

Turian Ghost
  • Tactical Cloak 6: Damage – Recharge Speed – Assault Rifle Damage
  • Stimulant Pack 5: Max Shields – Pack Capacity
  • Overload 6: Chain Overload – Neural Shock – Shield Damage
  • Armiger Legion 6: Damage & Stability – Headshots – Damage & Stability
  • Fitness 3
Weapon: Harrier (Magazine Upgrade + Extended Barrel) & Acolyte (Ultralight Materials + High-Caliber Barrel)
Rail Amp: Assault Rifle
Gear: Warfighter Package

Defensive Benchmark: 2063 (Platinum Atlas)

The turian ghost is one of the more celebrated infiltrators, and for good reason. Combining an assault rifle-boosting Cloak with instant healing is a recipe for absurdity, and the Ghost gets Overload and a watered-down turian racial passive to go with that.

Drell Assassin
  • Homing Grenade 4: Radius
  • Recon Mine 6: Radius – Damage – Invasive Scan
  • Drell Assassin 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
Weapon: Harrier (Magazine Upgrade + Extended Barrel) & Acolyte (Ultralight Materials + High-Caliber Barrel)
Rail Amp: Assault Rifle
Armor: Adrenaline Module
Gear: Warfighter Package

Defensive Benchmark: Heh.

This class is amazing at speed runs. Recon Mine is a fantastic power to have for its ability to constantly debuff enemies in a huge area. Set it down in an important spawn point and leave it there for as long as the enemies keep coming.

Since drell don’t have any shields to speak of, go all-out with movement speed to help avoid oncoming fire and maneuver away from threats.

Asari Huntress
  • Dark Channel 6: Damage – Slow – Pierce
  • Asari Justicar 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
Weapon: Reegar (Spare Thermal Clip + High-Velocity Barrel)

Defensive Benchmark: 1550 (Gold Rocket Trooper)

The Asari Huntress gets really awesome power damage bonuses, but they’re subject to pretty severe diminishing returns. That’s why I neglect the bonus at rank 6 of Cloak and the power damage options on the racial passive.

Dark Channel is a fire-and-forget power. Use it on a mook in a large crowd, and don’t cast it again until the duration has run out or it can no longer jump to a valid target. Our old friend Warp+Incendiary is here to help murder bosses.

Alliance Infiltration Unit
  • Tactical Cloak 6: Damage – Recharge Speed – Shotgun Damage
  • Snap Freeze 5: Reach – Cryo Explosion
  • Repair Matrix 6: Shields Restored – Duration – Enhanced Repair Matrix
  • Unshackled AI 6: Weapon Damage – Headshots – Weapon Damage
  • Fitness Module 3

Defensive Benchmark: 2063 (Gold Atlas)

Tactical Cloak. Constant healing. Snap Freeze. Shotgun damage bonus. What’s not to love? The pre-nerf AIU made soloing platinum easy. She’s still amazing.

Vanguards
Rule number 1: always be hosting.

Human
  • Biotic Charge 6: Radius – Power Synergy – Barrier
  • Shockwave 0
  • Nova 6: Force & Damage – Power Recharge – Pierce
  • Alliance Training 6: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage – Weapon Damage
Weapon: Talon (Power Magnifier + Heavy Barrel)
Rail Amp: Pistol
Gear: Commando Package

Defensive Benchmark: 2520 (Gold Nemesis)

Believe it or not, the Nemesis benchmark here is really important even when you have Biotic Charge. Sometimes you’ll get sniped coming out of a charge before you can use Nova, and when that happens you’ll want to able to quickly Nova just for the invincibility frames. If your shields are completely depleted, you’re a sitting duck.

I like Power Recharge on Nova a lot better than Half-Blast. The secret is that the power recharge bonuses stack with themselves. If you pre-cast Nova a few times between waves and then constantly Charge and Nova all over the map, Biotic Charge will cool down right as your Nova finishes.

Drell
  • Pull 0
  • Cluster Grenade 6: Radius – Damage Combo – Shrapnel
  • Drell Assassin 6: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage – Weapon Damage
Gear: Grenade Capacity

Defensive Benchmark: 1320 (Platinum Banshee)

Step one: Charge. Step two: spam Cluster Grenades. Step three: shoot faces. Step four: Charge again.

Best used in a biotic squad.

Asari
  • Stasis 6: Duration – Bonus Power – Bubble
  • Lift Grenade 6: Damage – Max Grenades – Damage & Radius
  • Asari Justicar 4: Damage & Capacity
Gear: Grenade Capacity

Defensive Benchmark: 2320 (Platinum Atlas)

Step one: Charge. Step two: spam Lift Grenades. Step three: shoot faces. Step four: Charge again.

Stasis is good for Phantom control and is also really good for locking down an area during device hacking missions.

Krogan
  • Biotic Charge 6: Radius – Weapon Synergy – Barrier
  • Carnage 0
  • Barrier 6: Barrier Strength – Power Synergy – Power Recharge
  • Krogan Berserker 6: Damage & Capacity – Headshots – Shotguns
  • Rage 6: Durability – Shield Recharge – Fitness Expert

Defensive Benchmark: 4323 (Perfect); 8375 for 4 seconds after each Charge

Here’s a truly great class. The krogan vanguard is a ferocious melee attacker, but I prefer not to rely on his melee abilities on gold and platinum difficulty. Because of that, this build is designed to maximize weapon damage and minimize downtime between Charges; Charging as quickly as possible is the best way to keep yourself alive.

The cool down time for the krogan’s Charge is longer than the usual version, so every time you charge there is a span of at least 0.83 seconds where you won’t have the 50% damage resistance from Charge. That’s when you’re at your most vulnerable.

Phoenix
  • Biotic Charge 6: Radius – Power Synergy – Bonus Power
  • Smash 6: Biotic Combo – Force & Damage – Impact Radius
  • Lash 0
  • Phoenix Training 6: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage – Weapon Damage

Defensive Benchmark: 1380 (Platinum Hunter)

The phoenix vanguard really suffers from a lack of things to do after he has charged. That’s why I’ve picked the Bonus Power evolution—occasionally it will let you get in a Smash to stun all the nearby enemies again and deal a lot of damage in the process. If the instant cool down doesn’t proc, there’s always your pistol. Aim for the head.

N7 Slayer
  • Phase Disruptor 6: Damage – Efficient Blast – Shield Damage
  • Biotic Slash 5: Radius – Detonate
  • N7 Slayer 5: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage
Gear: Commando Package

Defensive Benchmark: 2320 (Platinum Atlas)

The N7 Slayer is one of the most fun vanguards to play. With Efficient Blast, you can cast Phase Disruptor five times after every charge, which can lock down a lot of enemies. Biotic Slash is there in case you’re in a hacking or escort mission and can’t afford to leave the objective.

Volus Protector
  • Biotic Charge 6: Radius – Weapon Synergy – Bonus Power
  • Shield Boost 6: Shields – Recharge Speed – Proection
  • Biotic Orbs 6: Impact Radius – Recharge Speed – Orb Count
  • Volus Training 6: Weapon Damage – Power Damage – Weapon Damage
  • Fitness 0

Defensive Benchmark: 5000 (Perfect)

The volus protector is easily the best fighter of all volus. Use your cloak to Charge while invisible. If you get an instant cooldown, cast Shield Boost; otherwise, Charge as soon as you can. Employ your Reegar and your cloak liberally. Biotic Orbs are purely for recharge bonuses.

Batarian Brawler
  • Lash 0
  • Blade Armor 6: Melee Damage – Recharge Speed – Power Recharge
  • Batarian Enforcer 6: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage – Snipers & Shotguns
  • Fitness 6: Melee Damage – Martial Artist – Melee Synergy
Weapon: Reegar (Spare Thermal Clip + Omni-Blade)

Defensive Benchmark: Infinity! or 5314 (Perfect) when not meleeing

This melee vanguard is pretty easy to use: charge, punch, repeat. Be careful of enemies that can stun lock you, because they can break you out of your heavy melee animation and make you very vulnerable. As long as you’re using heavy melee right after a charge, you will take absolutely no damage thanks to 112.5% damage reduction. (That’s 50% from Charge, 25% from Blade Armor, and 75% from batarian melee, times 0.75.)

Turian Cabal
  • Poison Strike 3
  • Nightshade Blades 5: Capacity – Range
  • Biotic Focus 6: Damage Taken – Duration – Biotic Shield
  • Turian Veteran 6: Damage & Stability – Headshots – Damage & Stability

Defensive Benchmark: 3415 (Perfect)

Poison Strike is a genuinely interesting power, so I wish its hit detection were more reliable than it is. Nightshade Blades are a great emergency crowd control ability, but Biotic Focus steals the show here. It’s fantastic: modest damage reduction, movement bonuses, and partial healing on a relatively quick cool down and a long duration.

That’s all!

Zoran fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 29, 2014

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

tl;dr get Reegar with HVB, Incendiary IV and Warp/Incinerate/Incendiary grenade. :toot:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Smol posted:

tl;dr get Reegar with HVB, Incendiary IV and Warp/Incinerate/Incendiary grenade. :toot:

Yeah, that pretty much covers it. Like I said, this isn't a "how do I make this class interesting?" guide.

Infiltrators and Vanguards get to be slightly more interesting build-wise, but only because almost none of them have any of those three powers.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 19, 2014

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Having just got into this game again after a major hiatus what do you guys think is the most OP class, if any? The easiest to wreck with for me is the Batarian Soldier with inferno grenades and the shooty claw thing maxed. I also only have a level 1 grenade boost equipment item so at higher levels I would think he is even more ridiculous.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

If you can aim, Geth Infiltrator. Otherwise, maybe Geth Trooper. As a power, Cain Trip Mine has the potential for the biggest abuse (e.g. 8-9 minute platinum runs), but it's hard to use it that well in a normal game.

Smol fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 19, 2014

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I really like the Geth infil as a straight sniper - but just curious, why is it such a big dog?

I'd also say for (what it's worth) Geth trooper is just astonishing once you figure out a shield stripping weapon plus the flamethrower evolved for armor damage can handle anything.

e: other classes that are amazing include

Turian Havoc soldier
Turian Ghost Infiltrator
Alliace Infiltration Unit

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 19, 2014

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bushmaori posted:

Having just got into this game again after a major hiatus what do you guys think is the most OP class, if any? The easiest to wreck with for me is the Batarian Soldier with inferno grenades and the shooty claw thing maxed. I also only have a level 1 grenade boost equipment item so at higher levels I would think he is even more ridiculous.

TGI, Geth Trooper, and AIU I'd say are the easiest classes to do well with. It's really hard to make any wrong choices with them unless you don't spec Cloak or Flamethrower for some reason. It's also basically impossible to die as a Kroguard against Geth on any difficulty.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

I really like the Geth infil as a straight sniper - but just curious, why is it such a big dog?

Free wallhacks, 2 multiplicative damage bonuses (proxy mine, hunter mode rate of fire), great damage power (cloak + proxy mine), accuracy bonus that combines well with the best weapons in the game, like the Talon.

Speedrunning is probably a decent indicator of the potential of a class, and GI, GT and Kroguard are the only classes that people have soloed gold with under 15 minutes. The rankings are probably a bit skewed as the optimal combination for speedrunning is glacier and cerberus (mainly because dragoons and phantoms are so expensive in terms of wave budget), but it probably doesn't affect the rankings too much.

If you're not convinced yet, watch this.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Turian Ghost is pretty OP, though if you're doing well with BatSol, stick with him. He's less powerful, but a lot more fun.

The perfect cross-section of fun and overpowered is the Asari Valkyrie. Spec like this and use inferno ammo. The AF and Warp debuffs stack and do some ridiculous poo poo with the broken IA/Reegar combo. You can take down a platinum Atlas in 6-7 seconds. Throw a warp, run in and let AF catch it, then open up with your reegar.

It encourages that same point-blank madness that the BatSol loves so much, combined with being incredibly broken.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Reegar incendiary cheese is just boring though.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Smol posted:

Reegar incendiary cheese is just boring though.
:shrug: He asked what the most OP thing in the game was, and it's almost certainly Reegar incendiary cheese + warp. It can be fun to take onto platinum, if you play like a crazy bruiser and get up in enemy faces. No point taking it onto anything lower than Plat, though.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Zoran posted:

Asari Valkyrie
  • Tech Armor 6: Durability - Power Damage - Power Recharge
  • Throw 6: Radius – Detonate - Force & Damage
  • Asari Justicar 6: Damage & Capacity – Headshots – Weapon Weight
  • Fitness 0

Uh are you sure this is the right build? A racial passive of power -> headshot -> weight seems all over the place and also throw on a valkyrie?

quote:

Krogan Warlord
  • Tech Armor 6: Durability - Power Damage - Durability
  • Biotic Hammer 6: Force & Damage – Armor Damage – Number of Charges
  • Electrical Hammer 0
  • Krogan Warlord 6: Damage & Capacity – Power Damage – Shotguns
  • Warlord Rage 6: Melee Damage - Martial Artist - Pure Rage

Electric hammer is a really useful power both for stripping boss shields and for clearing spawns because it has a much bigger radius than biotic. I suggest something like 5/6/6/3/6 since the racial passive is largely meaningless for melee classes.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Bushmaori posted:

Depends on your manifest, whether you play on platinum, what maps you tend to favor, if you don't play platinum which faction are you fighting...Bat Soldier is among the best classes to take vs. reapers gold/below but he's merely above average vs. other factions, especially without maxed grenade gear.

For U/U/Plat with a maxed manifest
Turian Ghost with a Harrier
Salarian Infiltrator with Black Widow
Flamer class with Acolyte

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Uh are you sure this is the right build? A racial passive of power -> headshot -> weight seems all over the place and also throw on a valkyrie?
Already fixed it.

quote:

Electric hammer is a really useful power both for stripping boss shields and for clearing spawns because it has a much bigger radius than biotic. I suggest something like 5/6/6/3/6 since the racial passive is largely meaningless for melee classes.
Electrical Hammer has a wide radius, but it lacks killing power. Also, the 20% power damage bonus you can get from ranks 4 and 5 of the racial passive is huge for Biotic Hammer's damage output. Biotic Hammer does almost the same damage to shields as electrical hammer, plus way more to everything else.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 19, 2014

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What kills maximum enjoyment of the Warlord for me is that there's the run-stopping animation whenever you refresh hammers, as opposed to other self-buff powers like TA/Fort where you can keep your momentum going in one direction. Being able to smoothly run up to an enemy while having no slow downtime would put the Warlord as one of my personal favorites, as opposed to simply being good.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

You can cancel the hammer animation with a melee attack. That helps a lot.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Goddamnit, every time I read this thread I want to respec everythinng :smith:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
To be a little more blunt about what Smol's saying, you can run straight up to someone, tap the charge right next to them, and then interrupt about 90% of the animation to immediately mash their face off.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Zoran posted:

Already fixed it.

Electrical Hammer has a wide radius, but it lacks killing power. Also, the 20% power damage bonus you can get from ranks 4 and 5 of the racial passive is huge for Biotic Hammer's damage output. Biotic Hammer does almost the same damage to shields as electrical hammer, plus way more to everything else.

Electric Hammer can OHKO any non-armored. It also does more shield damage to Primes and Atlases than Biotic Hammer, in addition to setting up a fire explosion and occasionally getting multi-kills if you're good at predicting spawns.

3-racial biotic hammer is functionally the same as 6-racial biotic hammer. both will OHKO any non-boss; 6-racial will do more damage to boss armor but both will require 2 swings.

exquisite tea posted:

What kills maximum enjoyment of the Warlord for me is that there's the run-stopping animation whenever you refresh hammers, as opposed to other self-buff powers like TA/Fort where you can keep your momentum going in one direction. Being able to smoothly run up to an enemy while having no slow downtime would put the Warlord as one of my personal favorites, as opposed to simply being good.

It's a lot more seamless if you cancel the animation with a melee attack.

If I run up to someone and don't have a charge ready it's running melee -> hammer activation -> heavy melee cancel. when I've cleared an area I'll refresh my hammer -> light melee cancel -> run off to the next spawn

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Just did a gold cerberus match as a havoc and had a curious thing happen. There was a phantom I was trying to kill with havoc strike -> heavy melee combos but a bunch of cerberus engineers would do stuff that got in my way, like set up turrets or jump between her and me and become the target of the havoc strike. I must have killed four engineers and two turrets trying to get that phantom. Then she insta-stabbed me.

It was like an army of otaku defending their animu ninja princess.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

sudonim posted:

It was like an army of otaku defending their animu ninja princess.

It'd be a very interesting wave where most of the Cerberus troops were fat and just moved to guard a phantom.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Oh god. I just died on wave 9 as a geth jugg surrounded by three brutes, two banshees, and a ravager. I had been holding off bosses for like three minutes.

I died and then the mission failed.

Which begs the question: how did you fuckers die if I was tanking every boss on the map? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
They died to the one Marauder on the other side of the map.

• Locked thread