Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ligur posted:

Yeah people are still playing. I tried to find a random pub game yesterday, didn't get connected within 3 minutes so I started my own and clicked "Go!". Halfway through wave 1 I had three new teammates. And pretty good ones too.

Also, despite playing thousands of games at this point, I have never played a Juggernaut or most of the Krogans. Am I weird?

Yes, you are weird. Also, I almost never use the Juggernaut. He's kind of boring. I'd rather be ludicrously fast and fragile than slow and invincible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
I can't believe that after 2.5 years I only just found out from the Kalence char builder site that extra damage % on most ammo gear only applies against certain types of protection (health/armour/shields/barriers), not against ALL types :psyduck:. For example, Incendiary Rounds do 50% damage to health/armour, but none to shields/barriers. Warp Rounds do 65% damage to health/armour, and 100% damage to barriers and biotic-affected targets, but nothing against shields.

There's so many details missing in the menu pages about these kind of things!. Are many people aware that popping a Thermal Clip Pack gives you stackable 100% extra weap damage for 10 seconds? (from here). Really handy for tense standoffs during objective waves.

Another thing I didn't realise was that armour defences negate 50 points of damage on Gold/Plat. I always thought it was a 15 point reduction but that's only Bronze. There's always a minimum leftover damage of 5 though.

Lots of interesting stuff here in this compilation of BSN info: https://sites.google.com/site/me3mpd/home/damage#TOC-Armor

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

psyman posted:

I can't believe that after 2.5 years I only just found out from the Kalence char builder site that extra damage % on most ammo gear only applies against certain types of protection (health/armour/shields/barriers), not against ALL types :psyduck:. For example, Incendiary Rounds do 50% damage to health/armour, but none to shields/barriers. Warp Rounds do 65% damage to health/armour, and 100% damage to barriers and biotic-affected targets, but nothing against shields.

There's so many details missing in the menu pages about these kind of things!. Are many people aware that popping a Thermal Clip Pack gives you stackable 100% extra weap damage for 10 seconds? (from here). Really handy for tense standoffs during objective waves.

Another thing I didn't realise was that armour defences negate 50 points of damage on Gold/Plat. I always thought it was a 15 point reduction but that's only Bronze. There's always a minimum leftover damage of 5 though.

Lots of interesting stuff here in this compilation of BSN info: https://sites.google.com/site/me3mpd/home/damage#TOC-Armor

This has been my experince in all complex games (like Diablo 2 or ME3.) There are huge reams of information that exist only in secondary sources, but are really important on higher levels.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I reinstalled today after a year or so of not playing MEMP and it's as fun as I remember. Did a few rounds today with my batarian vanguard (including one with Hellburger, assuming that's the same Hellburger) and although I'm still a little rusty, I forgot how much fun it is rocketing around the map punching Atlases in the face.

I can still do the charge surf punch, too, which made me happy.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Solomonic posted:

I reinstalled today after a year or so of not playing MEMP and it's as fun as I remember. Did a few rounds today with my batarian vanguard (including one with Hellburger, assuming that's the same Hellburger) and although I'm still a little rusty, I forgot how much fun it is rocketing around the map punching Atlases in the face.

Hate surfing is awesome as always! I've been away for a bit because of the steam sale and texas amount of games to play through, but I think this tuesday going to start working on getting my purps. :hellyeah:

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Solomonic posted:

Assuming you were on PC, that was probably me! Feel free to add me on Origin @ HellburgerSA. I'm not sure how often I'll be on in the next couple weeks, but I'm usually down on nights and weekend.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
In other news, Kalence ME3 character builder is down. :(

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
That's a shame. I loved the app and all of the links to my builds were hosted there.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I had your builds bookmarked so I could save them some day. Apparently I was too late. :(

Edit: Wait, they're still there for me?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Is anyone still playing this for PS3? I was surprised to find that this thread is still around, but it looks like a lot of PC gamers here. Gonna have to blow a lot of dust off my disc.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ligur posted:

Yeah people are still playing. I tried to find a random pub game yesterday, didn't get connected within 3 minutes so I started my own and clicked "Go!". Halfway through wave 1 I had three new teammates. And pretty good ones too.

Also, despite playing thousands of games at this point, I have never played a Juggernaut or most of the Krogans. Am I weird?

I'm kinda curious as to what Krogan you did play. You are missing out - the Krogan are space dinosaurs that just crunch right through mooks. The Soldier and the Sentenal make excellent just ignore weight builds. The Vanguard is famous for being tough, and the Shaman is a melee monster with useful biotic skills. And the Warlord is just :black101:

(Replace that axe with a magic hammer but you get the drift.)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm kinda curious as to what Krogan you did play. You are missing out - the Krogan are space dinosaurs that just crunch right through mooks. The Soldier and the Sentenal make excellent just ignore weight builds. The Vanguard is famous for being tough, and the Shaman is a melee monster with useful biotic skills. And the Warlord is just :black101:

(Replace that axe with a magic hammer but you get the drift.)

The Warlord and Shaman are interesting due to their gimmicks (:black101: or :science:), Sentinel is rad for its armor, KroGuard is I guess the epitome of the "heavy" style of vanguarding (as opposed to a high agility style with less staying power) but I don't get the point of the Soldier.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Leif. posted:

The Warlord and Shaman are interesting due to their gimmicks (:black101: or :science:), Sentinel is rad for its armor, KroGuard is I guess the epitome of the "heavy" style of vanguarding (as opposed to a high agility style with less staying power) but I don't get the point of the Soldier.

Fire explosions. I still have Elotana's old build for him and he's all about grenading the poo poo out of mooks/armor and laughing as bits of flaming gore hits his face.

Funny that I still like him better as a caster than the the Krodept for where the powers are there to add a biotic punctuation to his melee, instead of it being his bread and butter move set.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

I had your builds bookmarked so I could save them some day. Apparently I was too late. :(

Edit: Wait, they're still there for me?

The site is back up. My guess is that it was down for maintenance or something, but I was worried that it had gone down permanently like narida.pytalhost.com, the inferior precursor to the new one.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

a primate posted:

Is anyone still playing this for PS3? I was surprised to find that this thread is still around, but it looks like a lot of PC gamers here. Gonna have to blow a lot of dust off my disc.

A few of us do. iPlissken on PSN

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

a primate posted:

I'm on ps3 as well, altersun on psn. I like power combos, shooting space monsters in the face with my talon pistol, and long walks on the beaches of sur'kesh.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Rick_Hunter posted:

The site is back up. My guess is that it was down for maintenance or something, but I was worried that it had gone down permanently like narida.pytalhost.com, the inferior precursor to the new one.

My major complaint about Kalence's character builder is the baffling decision to have weapons default to rank 1. It's also not as snappy as Narida's old one. It's better in most respects, though.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Leif. posted:

Warlords really should have been able to revive themselves with gel after sync kills, like a compromise between the normal classes and Juggs. It's silly that a Phantom can stab the krogan when he has such thick armour, or be picked up by a Banshee.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah what's up with those secondary and tertiary organs if you can't put them to use

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

^^fair point

psyman posted:

Warlords really should have been able to revive themselves with gel after sync kills, like a compromise between the normal classes and Juggs. It's silly that a Phantom can stab the krogan when he has such thick armour, or be picked up by a Banshee.

Really, the Warlord should be able to melee-fight just about anything. In a game with a bigger budget, I think the warlord would have fighting animations like when smaller characters get jumped by husks, except with banshees and Scions, etc.

Similar note - all Krogan should be able to very quickly grab the heads of husks if grabbed, and then snap their necks/crush their skulls. Batarians with blade armor should just eviscerate husks when they grab on.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

Batarians with blade armor should just eviscerate husks when they grab on.

Batarians with blade armor should have had a 3 hit combo that at the end of the 3rd hit they threw themselves forward like a ball of razor blades and could even knock back boss units.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dumb question: I just got a Scorpion IX.

What characters should I use it with, what should I use it for?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dumb question: I just got a Scorpion IX.

What characters should I use it with, what should I use it for?

Take Disruptor rounds and use Overload! It can be used as a "mine" too to cover a retreat though. Shoot it at the front of your target or your exit route, and wait for it to walk on them and explode. But the best stuff is you can shoot a target with the Scorp so it's tagged with several rounds of Disruptor XIV, Overload it, and wait for it to EXPLODE as the Scorpion rounds detonate.

Anecdotally: shower the loving Marauder in front with the Scorp rounds, with Disruptor ammo equipped, Overload after a sec, and take cover. Seconds later, since the target is Overloaded and the Disruptor rounds finally detonate: *KA-BOOM*

Or did I remember it all wrong? I used to use that pistol massively at one point and it was hilarious... I think I also used it with Incendiary and stuff and Cryo too to just feeze a ton of poo poo. After that it needed someone else to trigger the blow though.

edit: no no no, didn't it also work you use your best Cryo Ammo with the Scorpion, cover your target with rounds, Overload it, and wait for the Cryo BOMB to go. Same thing.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 21, 2014

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
IIRC Scorpion rounds will detonate after a few seconds (3-5? Can't remember), so they're not completely proximity mines.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah that's right, but you can still use them to set traps. I did a test run with a Scorpion wielding Turian Sentinel (Hurricane as a backup, but I only had to pull it out ever to shoot through some Guardien shields - my fav backup weapon is ultra light material / velocity barrel Hurricane, weights next to nothing, still takes down anything) just to remember why I was using it that much at one point. No, it wasn't super good on Gold... but it's fun as hell! Easily top scored on my Silver tune up games. Then again you might do so with an Avenger wielding soldier, but some of the other players were wielding Reegars, Harriers, Black Widows and stuff but could not outdamage the awesome power of the Scorpion.

I used both high level Disruptor and Cryo rounds, because, like, who usually ever uses these so you'll have tons of them. Just tag the motherfuckers until they are bristling with those squash head projectiles, wait for them to start blowing up and Overload their asses. You can even shoot, like, two or three mooks and do the same with chain overload to set up a nice series of explosions.

Even Bosses don't like it much when something like 7 of those projectiles explode on them in quick succession. Especially when they are eating Warp and Overload all the time.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
"Squash head projectile" sounds like something a krogan left in the toilet after varren taco night.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Funky things happen in platinum pugs. I met someone who was hacking, but in a fun way. He would periodically become targetable by the rest of us and he could affect us with his powers too. Cue all of us staggering each other while getting swarmed by platinum collectors. Made it pretty fun in a goofy kind of way.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How far have PC hacks come these days? I was SET UP on my 360. Had every weapon other than the paladin and eagle at X but no longer have a LIVE subscription. Can I get it for PC and spoof the good guns/good charaters online without loving around with RNG? I can't imagine anybody is moderating this anymore and I'm not interested in the rocket glitches or anything like that.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Pretty sure the only way to accomplish that is to use a hack that gives you lots of credits and then spend a few hours buying packs to get it all back.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

homo punching bag posted:

How far have PC hacks come these days? I was SET UP on my 360. Had every weapon other than the paladin and eagle at X but no longer have a LIVE subscription. Can I get it for PC and spoof the good guns/good charaters online without loving around with RNG? I can't imagine anybody is moderating this anymore and I'm not interested in the rocket glitches or anything like that.

I'm sure there are plenty of goons who would be happy to drag you through some gold games, a few days of that and you'd have a pretty good head start on unlocks.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

You need 500+ hours to get everything to level 10 though. Was 700 for me but it could've been faster if I exclusively played Platinum.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You really, really don't need to put 500 hours into the game to get pretty much everything you want out of it, though (you will anyway).

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Saber was the last gun I maxed out. It and the Wraith were the only guns I wanted to max out. :negative:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I'm probably up there with Smol in terms of absolute time. Right now Origin tracks me at about 250 hours, but that's only because it didn't track anything for the first however-long I played it back in 2012, before they had titles and such. When I played 4-8 hours a day every day when I worked part-time for the better part of a year.

And I still only have the goddamn Harrier II, Saber I, and Javelin I :(

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Pander posted:

I'm probably up there with Smol in terms of absolute time. Right now Origin tracks me at about 250 hours, but that's only because it didn't track anything for the first however-long I played it back in 2012, before they had titles and such. When I played 4-8 hours a day every day when I worked part-time for the better part of a year.

Origin isn't a good way to track it anyway, since that includes single player time. The N7HQ page just counts multiplayer, and tracked from the start I believe. Mine, for example, says I've played 733 hours of ME3MP.

Turbonerd
Feb 18, 2014
IIRC it took me about 650-700 hours of exclusively gold with a bit of platinum to max my manifest. I'm not sure which is more ridiculous, the fact that it takes such a long grind to unlock everything, or the fact that I kept grinding long enough to unlock everything. N7 HQ currently reveals that I have spent 1079 hours playing this video game, and that number just includes time spent actually in a match.

Origin also tracks SP time in addition to time spent in MP menus, the store, or trying to find a match. I only played maybe 24 hours of SP on the account I use for MP, meaning most of those 1500 in-game hours Origin has logged are in MP. :shepface:

Turbonerd fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 25, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The moral is that shooting space dudes is still an entertaining and worthwhile use of your time. I recommend it!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Pander posted:

And I still only have the goddamn Harrier II, Saber I, and Javelin I :(

I wish I had a Harrier :sigh:

Tore up some cerberus (on gold) with the N7 Shadow the other day. The shadow doesn't seem well regarded here but it is drat good at dealing with pretty much anything cerb can throw at you, especially phantoms. I ended with 150k+ points but to be fair two of the other players sucked so I had to do more of the work.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Felinoid posted:

Origin isn't a good way to track it anyway, since that includes single player time. The N7HQ page just counts multiplayer, and tracked from the start I believe. Mine, for example, says I've played 733 hours of ME3MP.

Ah. 335 hours. 1027 games. Still no indra or spitfire or venom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

sudonim posted:

I wish I had a Harrier :sigh:

Tore up some cerberus (on gold) with the N7 Shadow the other day. The shadow doesn't seem well regarded here but it is drat good at dealing with pretty much anything cerb can throw at you, especially phantoms. I ended with 150k+ points but to be fair two of the other players sucked so I had to do more of the work.

I'm not sure it's that the Shadow is not well regarded as much as her abilities are not great when other factors are considered. In order to get the most mileage out of her, you should go the duration cloak + bonus power route, stack melee damage - both of which you did - and use shadow strike to double tap boss mobs. I personally go for armor damage since bosses are big piles of armor. Electric slash is still a poo poo ability because it doesn't deal enough damage and the combo damage power is broken with no fix in the future. Unfortunately, this is negated pretty hard when you're trying to solo or have a poo poo team that dies fast because the enemy magically knows where you are so you can't shadow strike with impunity. In addition, by going melee you nerf your long range capacity to mediocre at best, unless you like really long cloak cooldowns.

All things considered, I really like the Shadow personally and think she's a great character to play. With certain caveats.

• Locked thread