Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mania posted:

I may have been that asari justicar. Else, I played a game with that combo of teammates yesterday too. Did your Novaguard come in first? And we spent a good portion of wave 11 on the long staircase getting hit on both sides?

Hah! That was definitely me. Awesome. I'm basically only playing Glacier/Gold with the Valkyrie now in hopes that the planets will align again with that awesome group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Man, how is every class I try so fun to play?? I accidentally earned the biotic god banner and threw together a drell adept. Dose 'nades.

Hey is the phase disruptor vanguard's melee worth anything? It's fun to watch, but he's so flimsy that I can't imagine he works all that well as a melee fighter, or even taking the melee fitness track instead of the shield track.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

aegof posted:

Man, how is every class I try so fun to play?? I accidentally earned the biotic god banner and threw together a drell adept. Dose 'nades.

Hey is the phase disruptor vanguard's melee worth anything? It's fun to watch, but he's so flimsy that I can't imagine he works all that well as a melee fighter, or even taking the melee fitness track instead of the shield track.

Its situationally useful but not enough to warrant gear / consumables / upgrases unless you wanna do a swordyman gimmick setup. Charge / phase disruptor are his best moves so focus on boosting those if your aim is dps. Also make friends with volus.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
The light melee combo on the Slayer has DR for some weird reason, but it's not really worth using when you could be pummeling something with phase disruptor blasts instead. Fun to wail on a geth prime with if it's the last enemy of the wave, and maybe some other situational things, but that's about it. Meanwhile the teleporting heavy melee can be used as a fun opener (or abomination defuser), but it's got no DR on it, so don't use it in situations where you'll get murdered before you can charge.

Elotana could tell you more if he's still around; he was a master with the Slayer.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Hawk-spec Devastator with paladin using AP-IV: effective! Against geth I was headshotting mooks so incredibly fast, and against collectors it'd just melt scions with headshots.

Headshots are the best.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Headshots are the recipe to success in this game. I don't outscore pubbies because of my superior warping skills, it's because I take the time to aim to the head (or the weak spot in case of bosses) every time I shoot.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Smol posted:

Headshots are the recipe to success in this game. I don't outscore pubbies because of my superior warping skills, it's because I take the time to aim to the head (or the weak spot in case of bosses) every time I shoot.

I've gotten a lot better in the last week just because my new mouse allows on-the-fly sensitivity changes. Low sensitivity 90% of the time for crazy headshots, medium/high if I'm more interested in quick mobility the rest of the time.

I always used to base my FPS play on counterstrike from like 1999, when mobility and checking your six was more important than careful headshots and teamwork. Too many bad habits from that I'm still breaking.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I really like the Slayer melee. I think the light melee has invincibility frames not just damage reduction and it is great for cleaning up groups after Phase Disruptor and charging. It is also nice to heavy melee through a wall and end up killing something by happenstance.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Gold is hard, guys. I forgot the rules for brute and banshee insta-kills, and left a dude to solo like three waves. Sorry dude.

On headshots: I've never been able to consistently get headshots. Honestly, it's kinda a miracle if most of my bullets hit enemies and not the walls and floor.

And on the Slayer's melee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8cX63zQ4Jc

I'm not good enough to play like that, but at least it looks cool. If Kai Leng had moves like that, he might've been a decent boss fight.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pander posted:

Hawk-spec Devastator with paladin using AP-IV: effective! Against geth I was headshotting mooks so incredibly fast, and against collectors it'd just melt scions with headshots.

Headshots are the best.

My personal Devastator spec always carries the Executioner pistol for exactly this reason.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Deep mysteries of the universe: If your group fails miserably at making it to extraction, why would you silently bump the difficulty up? Why do people keep doing this?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Deep mysteries of the universe: If your group fails miserably at making it to extraction, why would you silently bump the difficulty up? Why do people keep doing this?

Greed, basically. I know a ME3 player who will get games together - and then when he has two good players, suggest we all quit at wave three and do a platinum map.

He's kind of a liability on gold

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

My personal Devastator spec always carries the Executioner pistol for exactly this reason.

If you go full ammo, can you get 2 shots per magazine?

Also: what's the range of the executioner? It feels like it should be a sniping-capable pistol like the paladin, but when I use it, it ends up feeling kind of like a shotgun. If I'm not close in I don't even know if I'm hitting em.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Pander posted:

Also: what's the range of the executioner? It feels like it should be a sniping-capable pistol like the paladin, but when I use it, it ends up feeling kind of like a shotgun. If I'm not close in I don't even know if I'm hitting em.

Since full spec Devastator mode +35% magazine size, it will put you over 100% with the pistol mag mod. So yes, 2 shots is possible.

The range should be infinite since it's a hit scan weapon. Point, shoot, (shoot), reload, repeat. May result in death from the business end.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Pander posted:

It is just inaccurate.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Pander posted:

Put a scope on it and snipe to your heart's content.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Personally I like the crusader shotgun on the destroyer. Pinpoint accuracy and cuts through armor like its whipped butter. Its a heavy gun but if you care about weight on the destroyer you have OCD.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

Since full spec Devastator mode +35% magazine size, it will put you over 100% with the pistol mag mod. So yes, 2 shots is possible.

The range should be infinite since it's a hit scan weapon. Point, shoot, (shoot), reload, repeat. May result in death from the business end.

e. I'm dumb and forgot to click the little "activate destroyer mode" checkbox. It does work. 2 shots. Niiiiice.

Pander fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 14, 2014

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The Cabal vanguard is cool but wow am I bad with her. I need to get used to the fact that her poison strike and heavy melee don't stagger entire groups, and that biotic focus is only 40% shields. I think she might need an entirely different style of play than the other vanguards?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah always be spamming biotic focus. It's a really hard gold class because it's so brittle compared to the other vanguards and one of its optimal builds relies heavily on melee. I don't find the blades do a great amount of damage either, and the fact they're grenade-based unlike the batarian blades is a huge detriment.

I only use the charge for mobility. It's not a great source of damage. It's great to get through a room of mooks or through walls.

It's a fun class, but I don't find the damage output is worth the challenge of play.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

aegof posted:

The Cabal vanguard is cool but wow am I bad with her. I need to get used to the fact that her poison strike and heavy melee don't stagger entire groups, and that biotic focus is only 40% shields. I think she might need an entirely different style of play than the other vanguards?

She plays a lot differently than other Vanguards. What I try to do is to focus on her melee attacks while using a lightweight shotgun like the Wraith to apply Disruptor ammo for some stuns. The heavy melee will one-shot most mooks while the light melee is great for finishing off wounded enemies or stunlocking things like dragoons. You need pretty decent gear to do it effectively (at least Cyclonic modulator III's), but when it finally clicks, it's awesome. It definitely took me a while until I found a play-style that worked well, so don't worry too much if you can't do poo poo in the beginning.

Some maps also suck a lot for her (Condor :argh:), because many obstacles look like you can teleport through them, when you really can't. So you look like an idiot trying to hit your forehead to a wall.

One thing I'll definitely recommend is to use the Geth Scanner. You can heavy melee enemies through walls and other obstacles, so a wallhacks help a lot.

Recommended build: http://kalence.drupalgardens.com/me3-builder#60!3A06575!!24N56334!5E058
Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmyKUaWjS64 (Ignore the Phaeston, we were doing a stupid rear end gimmick game with poo poo weapons)

Smol fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 14, 2014

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

aegof posted:

If I was playing on gold, this is how I would typically build her:

Cabal Vanguard Build

I don't much care for Poison Strike. Even though it's iconic for the kit, it doesn't do enough damage to warrant taking it. It's really just an escape move that damages enemies behind you. I could do the same with a heavy melee and then a dodge. I'm not sure where I got my build from but it was worked wonders when it needed to, especially on Firebase Glacier or any map that lets you teleport through walls. The Hurricane in the above is for armor enemies that don't go down with a single melee attack (Banshees, Brutes, Primes, Atlases, etc), so take any weapon that you feel comfortable with that doesn't weigh too much if you don't have one.

Here's an example of it in action vs Cerberus: Cabal Vanguard Gold Solo

Pander posted:

Yeah always be spamming biotic focus. It's a really hard gold class because it's so brittle compared to the other vanguards and one of its optimal builds relies heavily on melee. I don't find the blades do a great amount of damage either, and the fact they're grenade-based unlike the batarian blades is a huge detriment.

I only use the charge for mobility. It's not a great source of damage. It's great to get through a room of mooks or through walls.

It's a fun class, but I don't find the damage output is worth the challenge of play.

Since it's not a power build that relies on a rhythm or a weapon build that just pours out the damage, a melee build has to have a certain amount of finesse which the cabal has in spades. Her light melee interrupts mooks and can be chained together, her heavy melee is a decapitation, and it doesn't linger so if she wants she can teleport away quickly unlike the Slayer. I find that I have bad days when I haven't been playing her where I'll use 3-4 medigels because I'm not playing right and then I'll have an excellent game where I don't go down once. I don't think being brittle has anything to do with it, just how well I play her.

Her reliance on grenades can be a detriment but it's only if you have a grenade dependent team where that comes into play a lot. If you can't get any grenades, that's what the Hurricane is for.

Edit: Beaten by Smol. :(

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Also, Cabal is waaay more sensitive to lag than even other Vanguards, at least for me. Usually, not being hosting is just an additional challenge, but Cabal very often gets stuck wigging out between two locations like Schrodinger's catbirdlizard.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm not topping silver scoreboards yet, but I'm not falling over every round, either. Tricky character, but a lot of fun once you get in a groove. Can definitely see where a Geth Scanner with decent range would be useful.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I never bothered with geth scanner until I got it fully upgraded. You're better off just using a geth soldier or infiltrator if you wanna wallhack, the limited range really hurts its utility.

At level V it's ridiculously good.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I don't like it because I hate the overlay it puts on. Too distracting.

PC goons, I am available for a game tonight, add me (SWATJester).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Leif. posted:

I don't like it because I hate the overlay it puts on. Too distracting.

PC goons, I am available for a game tonight, add me (SWATJester).

You never respond to my invite.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I was alt-tabbed and completely forgot I had the game still open!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I think I need to play this again tonight. Feel free to add me any new PC goons, my Origin id is sluukkonen. I have a maxed out manifest so can carry you guys on gold pretty well if necessary.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I've been playing again this week. Home early today (before 19:00 GMT+2!) and will probably get a sixpack on my way home and fire up the game.

Anyone who wants to listen to constant chattering about e/n, or horrid death screams while killing space monsters, my Origin id is: zengur

I've been doing a lot of team dragging through Gold this week (with Arashi most of the time tho) so it doesn't matter if you're rusty or a total newb. We'll be fine... sort of...

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Is there any hard and fast way to calculate power combo damage like there is regular power/weapon damage as featured on the kalence character builder? It's nice to know that Warp does X damage but It'd be even better to know how much it did when detonated by, say, Throw.

EDIT: VVVV Thanks Smol

sudonim fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 17, 2014

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

sudonim posted:

Is there any hard and fast way to calculate power combo damage like there is regular power/weapon damage as featured on the kalence character builder? It's nice to know that Warp does X damage but It'd be even better to know how much it did when detonated by, say, Throw.

The you'll likely care about :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AplMRQNEVa05dER4LUJlNHVYbXpzSDdzTjdMb0pTNnc#gid=0

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Turian Havoc: practically a vanguard? With Turian gun passive bonuses and stim packs and jet packs. The guy's a lot of fun, a nice birthday present from the rng to me.
The heavy melee takes a while, but I haven't been shot out of it yet. Does it have DR or have I just been lucky? Not gonna stop doing it to surviving Havoc Strike targets either way, but so I know.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I'm tired of constantly pubbing and trying my luck on Gold and Platinum ever since I got a Harrier IX last month. Just one more level and I can stop constantly playing this game every night and do something more productive.

Origin ID is: Edward_IV

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Felinoid posted:

The light melee combo on the Slayer has DR for some weird reason, but it's not really worth using when you could be pummeling something with phase disruptor blasts instead.

Best use is killing cerberus turrets hassle-free.

aegof posted:

Turian Havoc: practically a vanguard? With Turian gun passive bonuses and stim packs and jet packs. The guy's a lot of fun, a nice birthday present from the rng to me.
The heavy melee takes a while, but I haven't been shot out of it yet. Does it have DR or have I just been lucky? Not gonna stop doing it to surviving Havoc Strike targets either way, but so I know.

Main thing is remembering you got stimpacks. I like to play a gimmick build with the Striker and explode everything though. It's not great but it's fun.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Felinoid posted:

The light melee combo on the Slayer has DR for some weird reason, but it's not really worth using when you could be pummeling something with phase disruptor blasts instead. Fun to wail on a geth prime with if it's the last enemy of the wave, and maybe some other situational things, but that's about it. Meanwhile the teleporting heavy melee can be used as a fun opener (or abomination defuser), but it's got no DR on it, so don't use it in situations where you'll get murdered before you can charge.

Elotana could tell you more if he's still around; he was a master with the Slayer.
~namesearch goons~

Slayer melee is actually pretty useful, I always took the melee 5 and 6 fitness evos when I could. The light melee DR is incredibly useful in a pinch where you charged something in LOS of something else that either can't be staggered (turret, scion, ravager) or is too far away to stagger alongside your current chargee. In addition to cerb turrets, with ravagers the acid means you're better off using the melee after a charge instead of the phase because with DR the bugs and acid will only do a tiny bit of damage but if you phase they'll break your gate.

aegof posted:

The two keys to playing Cabalguard are that light melee chain-staggers every grab-sized enemy, while exploding + range blades will give you a double group stagger just like they do for the Batarians. What I would do is blade a group to soften them up, heavy melee at the hardest target, light melee and/or gunfire to taste while spamming focus. I only used poison strike to detonate combos or as an escape button (it is counterproductive to take it past 4).

Elotana fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 18, 2014

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I swear every time I get even average DPS going against reapers, all the banshees start to focus on chasing me down. Why me? Aggro in this game makes no sense sometimes.

Leave me alone banshees I don't want your hugs :(

On the other hand, paladin on gold/geth/glacier makes me feel a little guilty - I should really let the other players score points too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm not on super often but I'd rather play with goons than pubbies, and every now and then I'm not complete garbage on Gold so if anyone wants to add me my ID is GestaltIntellect

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Has anyone familiar with ME3 bought Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare? It looks like it might scratch the same itch but it could also suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I finally got the geth spitfire. Is it supposed to be a space tickle gun? What's the point of it?

• Locked thread