Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Khizan posted:

I thought that most of the fights in ME2 were a cakewalk on Insanity because they had insufficient means of breaking you out of cover, which meant that most of the fights were only hard when you brought along zero defense stripping abilities and, practically speaking, the only way to do that was a Vanguard Shepard with an all-Biotic team. Otherwise, all you really needed was decent aim and a modicum of patience.

The only fights I can think of that I thought were still challenging on replay were... the garage in Garrus' recruitment mission, the end of the Horizon mission, the Collector ship, and the suicide mission. Also maybe Kasumi's loyalty mission, depending on Shepard's class.

My first insanity build was a tech armor explosion specced sentinel. Good lord, never again. The turian who keeps saying "tech armor" in ME3? That was me.

I was never arguing that ME3 combat is inferior to ME2, just that saying that if ME2 had MP it might have also been pretty goddamn cool, and since there wasn't it's a lot harder to gauge how important ME3's combat has been to the longevity of ME3 MP. ME3 introduced a lot of important enemy action designs to make combat more frenetic, kinda like how Left 4 Dead 2 brought in the spitter to prevent mindless survivor camping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Khizan posted:

I thought that most of the fights in ME2 were a cakewalk on Insanity because they had insufficient means of breaking you out of cover, which meant that most of the fights were only hard when you brought along zero defense stripping abilities and, practically speaking, the only way to do that was a Vanguard Shepard with an all-Biotic team. Otherwise, all you really needed was decent aim and a modicum of patience.

The only fights I can think of that I thought were still challenging on replay were... the garage in Garrus' recruitment mission, the end of the Horizon mission, the Collector ship, and the suicide mission. Also maybe Kasumi's loyalty mission, depending on Shepard's class.

Half of the fun is to play as aggressively as possible. Sure, you can beat insanity by hiding behind every little wall, but my Shepard will be giving the space bad guys some shotgun butt to the face.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
my shepard was a batarian with a mean hook

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Anyone still playing this?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Sometimes yeah. Not with goons in a long time though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm still playing it every now and then

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I still play a few times a week, I'm ioshva on Origin if anyone hasn't added me

I'm noticing a lot of PC lobbies are now modded with text chat which is nice

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Elotana posted:

I still play a few times a week, I'm ioshva on Origin if anyone hasn't added me

I'm noticing a lot of PC lobbies are now modded with text chat which is nice

Really? Haven't seen that.

Been playing a lot while the fiancee's out of town. Melee/poison specced Cabal Vanguard is my new favorite class. So much survivability and mobility, and meleeing abominations to death is just so easy.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I'm just messing with the Slayer some more

Still hate Collectors though. All you can do is stick to mostly slashing and using phase mostly to kill swarms

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I've tried to play on PC a few times recently, but nobody is ever on.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I got burned out on the grind (and had other things to play for a bit) but if there's a new swell of players maybe I should hop back into it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Elotana posted:

I'm just messing with the Slayer some more

Still hate Collectors though. All you can do is stick to mostly slashing and using phase mostly to kill swarms

It seems like every time I switch to a vanguard I get Collectors as the first game. But it is nice to cut off abomination heads with melee specced Slayer. I have also never used slash on him.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I can be persuaded to play more but I don't really hang out on Origin. I'll make steam friends w/ anyone interested though!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Bwah, I was waiting for someone, and just fired up the MP to kill some time.

Guess I played it too much back time ago, I haven't touched the game in months, honestly had no recollection of what button does what, yet my fingers just started flying on the keyboard on their own volition!!!12 No idea which button makes shiels go "up" or reloads my grendes or makes magic health go up, but but all if it happened on autopilot and space monsters got wasted.

Yeah it's still fun.

Thing: no problem finding games even to this day O.o

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Back in the game after a little break, and I got a notice that the Origin servers and EA servers had merged or something to that effect, and I had to re-read and accept the EULA, and there was a new system software update for PS3.

In the face of all of this, for some reason this week has been laggy and buggy as hell. I had one game where I couldn't do anything but run around, none of the other buttons worked; one game I joined in wave 7 where I was listed as the only person playing and while I couldn't see anybody else, someone else was getting a lot of kills; more than a few games with loads of lag-time between button push and execution, even when I was hosting. Especially tonight it's been ridiculous. How long is it to ME4?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pander posted:

I don't get it. All 3 games had great single player experiences. Yeah the ending to the 3rd wasn't that great, and the first had some growing pains, but they're all fantastic. How many of us bought ME3 specifically for the multiplayer? It was a tacked on miracle.

I actually bought the Trilogy set just for ME3 MP after being sold on it by this thread(I also wanted to finally go through the SP for all three, but ME1 is just too much of a slog for me to get anywhere, just don't got the patience for it anymore)

Ligur posted:

Anyone still playing this?

Just got my 360 working for the first time since 2013 a couple weeks ago, and have gotten readdicted to ME3 MP, if anyone wants to play with me, my Xbox Live profile name is ArtiViks(profile used to be my brother's, really need to change it one of these days), I'll admit I mostly play Bronze(partially cause I don't have a lot of stuff, as I only played for about 2-5 months before the long hiatus from using my 360 happened), but I'm willing to do Silver, and maybe even Gold with Goons

Also really hope ME4 has a good MP, as ME3's is one of the most satisfying ones I know of

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

drrockso20 posted:

I actually bought the Trilogy set just for ME3 MP after being sold on it by this thread(I also wanted to finally go through the SP for all three, but ME1 is just too much of a slog for me to get anywhere, just don't got the patience for it anymore)

Just got my 360 working for the first time since 2013 a couple weeks ago, and have gotten readdicted to ME3 MP, if anyone wants to play with me, my Xbox Live profile name is ArtiViks(profile used to be my brother's, really need to change it one of these days), I'll admit I mostly play Bronze(partially cause I don't have a lot of stuff, as I only played for about 2-5 months before the long hiatus from using my 360 happened), but I'm willing to do Silver, and maybe even Gold with Goons

Also really hope ME4 has a good MP, as ME3's is one of the most satisfying ones I know of

Still playing as well: GT is Rummskull, just make sure you download the free MP maps and character packs, otherwise your available mp choices are very limited.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

tribbledirigible posted:

Still playing as well: GT is Rummskull, just make sure you download the free MP maps and character packs, otherwise your available mp choices are very limited.

Oh I already have all the DLC downloaded, also been doing a lot of Silver the last couple days, and it's mostly pretty enjoyable, although certain enemies just become completely unfun to fight(most Cerberus special enemies[especially Dragoons], Banshees, certain Geth types), oddly enough Collectors don't feel as though they got as much of boost between difficulties as the other factions do

Also whoever came up with the auto-kill abilities a lot of the "boss" enemies have(if it sent you into the dying state then it'd be fine), or enemies executing you when you're dying is a rear end in a top hat, as neither of those is any fun to deal with, also the limited mobility aspects that Krogan and the Geth Juggernaut have also are pretty annoying

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

drrockso20 posted:

Also whoever came up with the auto-kill abilities a lot of the "boss" enemies have(if it sent you into the dying state then it'd be fine), or enemies executing you when you're dying is a rear end in a top hat, as neither of those is any fun to deal with, also the limited mobility aspects that Krogan and the Geth Juggernaut have also are pretty annoying
The Juggernaut is at least immune to sync kills, and it's tough enough to tank just about anything, so mobility is less of a problem. It's more of an issue with the Krogan Warlord.

Also, if you're having a lot of trouble with laggy connections and being caught by sync kills, keep in mind that they can't grab you if you're above or below them on stairs or ramps.You still have to be careful, and very few characters should be standing right next to bosses, but it makes them more manageable.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

Oh I already have all the DLC downloaded, also been doing a lot of Silver the last couple days, and it's mostly pretty enjoyable, although certain enemies just become completely unfun to fight(most Cerberus special enemies[especially Dragoons], Banshees, certain Geth types), oddly enough Collectors don't feel as though they got as much of boost between difficulties as the other factions do

The Justicar is awesome for those PITA bosses, throw reave on them, rush up next to them, cast offensive specced bubble to biotic explode and stagger them, rush back and cast reave again for another explosion. (Plus pull for guardians)

Learn how to set up biotic and tech combos. On silver, biotic explosions are your best friend.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The Juggernaut is at least immune to sync kills, and it's tough enough to tank just about anything, so mobility is less of a problem. It's more of an issue with the Krogan Warlord.

Also, if you're having a lot of trouble with laggy connections and being caught by sync kills, keep in mind that they can't grab you if you're above or below them on stairs or ramps.You still have to be careful, and very few characters should be standing right next to bosses, but it makes them more manageable.

It's also worth saying "don't play over wireless."

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Maybe one would want to only be able to see flamers and bombers during a geth game. :colbert:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

El Mido posted:

Maybe one would want to only be able to see flamers and bombers during a geth game. :colbert:

I've had primes dissipate on me but it's the first time I've heard of [everything but]

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

As others have said: stairs, ramps, even just slight ledges (like the control room in FB Giant) are your friends. But do be careful if you have noticeable lag, the sync kill boss can be right next to you on the same elevation without you realizing it. If you're hosting, you can tank a clutch of Brutes.

If you're looking for the most survivable characters with good mobility, play as the Turian Ghost, Alliance Infiltration Unit, or the Kroguard.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

tribbledirigible posted:

As others have said: stairs, ramps, even just slight ledges (like the control room in FB Giant) are your friends. But do be careful if you have noticeable lag, the sync kill boss can be right next to you on the same elevation without you realizing it. If you're hosting, you can tank a clutch of Brutes.

If you're looking for the most survivable characters with good mobility, play as the Turian Ghost, Alliance Infiltration Unit, or the Kroguard.

Don't forget to match the OP class with their weapons:
TGI/assault rifles (Cerberus Harrier+++ :legion:)
AIU/shotguns (Claymore :getin:),
Krogan Vanguard/shotguns (w/ melee attachment :black101:).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

also here's my Manifest, let me know if there's anything I should switch up with my classes(also I really hope I get more Adept and Engineer classes unlocked soon, cause I have nothing for Engineer, and barely anything for Adept)

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Respec your Human Adept for biotic explosions. (Warp 4 - Detonate, Shockwave 4 - Force and Damage, Shockwave 5 - Detonate)

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

also here's my Manifest, let me know if there's anything I should switch up with my classes(also I really hope I get more Adept and Engineer classes unlocked soon, cause I have nothing for Engineer, and barely anything for Adept)

The good news is the basic human classes are very viable up to gold. And your human engineer is a crowd control monster between Overload and the drone.

A few thing I noticed:

Your Turian Ghost's Tac Cloak when specced for Assault Rifle damage can make an Avenger into a buzzsaw.

The Slayer's Phase Disruptor is a must on the class, - spec the last evolution for armor damage and you can wipe out spawns in gold with a blast, blast, charge rhythm.

The Vorcha Soldier and Sentinel's Flamer specced against armor(and the Geth Trooper's once you have it unlocked) will trivialize Gold Dragoons, Brutes, Ravagers, - use your Reegar to strip the shields of everything else that has shields (it has a 200% damage bonus against shields and barriers) and you can melt a Gold Banshee in about 20 seconds, abusing the ammo bug. Stutter fire your Flamer, make sure you have Warp or Incendiary ammo equipped, and the damage becomes multiplicative ticking down the armor bar faster as it all piles on at once.

Seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-ga-CUZMIg&t=351s

However, since we're console plebs, the damage isn't as broken as the PC version that you see above due to the damage rate being applied based on the refresh rate.

Let me know when you're on, I just sent a friend request.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Krogan Vanguard/shotguns (w/ melee attachment :black101:).

Oh, and the omni-blade weight penalty doesn't apply to non-DLC weapons. Feel free to Always Be Charging followed by a massive backhand with the 50% damage multiplier and, if you took it, the melee damage boost when in Rage. Just equip, select a new character, then select the Kroguard again. Recharge weight penalty will be gone if you check your Powers screen.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Or just go here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499990&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=580#post423724262

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Speaking of builds and the AIU, I can't remember the correct rhythm for combat. Was it Cloak, Snap Freeze, Shoot, or Cloak, Shoot, Snap Freeze, Shoot?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

tribbledirigible posted:

The good news is the basic human classes are very viable up to gold. And your human engineer is a crowd control monster between Overload and the drone.

A few thing I noticed:

Your Turian Ghost's Tac Cloak when specced for Assault Rifle damage can make an Avenger into a buzzsaw.

The Slayer's Phase Disruptor is a must on the class, - spec the last evolution for armor damage and you can wipe out spawns in gold with a blast, blast, charge rhythm.

The Vorcha Soldier and Sentinel's Flamer specced against armor(and the Geth Trooper's once you have it unlocked) will trivialize Gold Dragoons, Brutes, Ravagers, - use your Reegar to strip the shields of everything else that has shields (it has a 200% damage bonus against shields and barriers) and you can melt a Gold Banshee in about 20 seconds, abusing the ammo bug. Stutter fire your Flamer, make sure you have Warp or Incendiary ammo equipped, and the damage becomes multiplicative ticking down the armor bar faster as it all piles on at once.

Seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-ga-CUZMIg&t=351s

However, since we're console plebs, the damage isn't as broken as the PC version that you see above due to the damage rate being applied based on the refresh rate.

Let me know when you're on, I just sent a friend request.

Oh, and the omni-blade weight penalty doesn't apply to non-DLC weapons. Feel free to Always Be Charging followed by a massive backhand with the 50% damage multiplier and, if you took it, the melee damage boost when in Rage. Just equip, select a new character, then select the Kroguard again. Recharge weight penalty will be gone if you check your Powers screen.

I'll admit I can't seem to get a proper handle on the N7 Slayer's Phase Disruptor power, I rarely hit anything with it

also here's my Inventory so you guys can help me out further

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

I'll admit I can't seem to get a proper handle on the N7 Slayer's Phase Disruptor power, I rarely hit anything with it

You're not along with phase disruptor. Brutes I can hit, but skinny poo poo like banshees and marauders laugh at me.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

The Turian Ghost is a goddamn monster. If you get reasonably good at aiming/headshotting it will carry you all the way through Gold with pretty much any crappy Assault Rifle you like. It'll also carry you through Platinum without hesitation, but I'd bring a better gun to that.

Of the ones you have right now, I'd probably use the Phaeston, which is a fairly decent bullet hose, as far as those things go. I'd change your spec up, though. The Smol-guide spec is my current favorite for it. Your stimulant packs are so good you can just roll zero fitness 100% DPS. Just pop your cloak and immediately start shooting. You'll get the cloak damage boost and the CD will be super-fast because you didn't actually spend much time cloaked, so you'll get to do it again pretty quickly.

Looking over your stuff right now, I'd probably farm with Ghost+Phaeston, or with the Human Engineer. Go full Overload, full Incinerate, and no Drone then just powercombo everything to death.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I do the Ghost-Phaeston X on Gold and Plat. On plat it's a little less (but still) useful, but I easily nab top score on gold with it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I love Ghost+Phaeston because I'm a horrible nerd who likes to use Turian weapons on Turian characters.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Pander posted:

You're not along with phase disruptor. Brutes I can hit, but skinny poo poo like banshees and marauders laugh at me.

Same tactics as with the rocket launcher: aim at their feet. Phase disruptor has a pretty healthy AoE, so use it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Khizan posted:

The Turian Ghost is a goddamn monster. If you get reasonably good at aiming/headshotting it will carry you all the way through Gold with pretty much any crappy Assault Rifle you like. It'll also carry you through Platinum without hesitation, but I'd bring a better gun to that.

Of the ones you have right now, I'd probably use the Phaeston, which is a fairly decent bullet hose, as far as those things go. I'd change your spec up, though. The Smol-guide spec is my current favorite for it. Your stimulant packs are so good you can just roll zero fitness 100% DPS. Just pop your cloak and immediately start shooting. You'll get the cloak damage boost and the CD will be super-fast because you didn't actually spend much time cloaked, so you'll get to do it again pretty quickly.

Looking over your stuff right now, I'd probably farm with Ghost+Phaeston, or with the Human Engineer. Go full Overload, full Incinerate, and no Drone then just powercombo everything to death.

okay I reset it the way you suggested, also since I don't have the Warfighter Package, should I use the Assault Rifle Amp, or Grenade Capacity, I figure Grenade Capacity is probably more important, but I wasn't too sure there

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Definitely grenade capacity, those Stim packs will save your life more than an extra few % of damage.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pander posted:

you don't aim it at anything other than the floor near your enemies. it causes them to stumble, taking even longer to reach you, giving you more time to shoot another disrupter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

you don't aim it at anything other than the floor near your enemies. it causes them to stumble, taking even longer to reach you, giving you more time to shoot another disrupter

Floor, wall, ceiling; the AoE is pretty big.

My rhythm for the Slayer is Disruptor, Disruptor, Charge, and if anything is still standing, Disruptor. I tend to prime a few enemies with incendiary ammo before I start with the disruptor if you have some available.

• Locked thread