Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you promote more, it'll give you a better chance of finding Pikablu in a Premium Spectre Pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Wampus42 posted:

And here I was coming to bitch about my shiny new Eagle VI.

And that's only six weeks if the Commendation Packs really like to poo poo on you.

guy has an Eagle VII, I think it's confirmed the Commendation Packs really like to poo poo on him.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
You should get a special consolation pack when your Eagle hits 10. It should have 1 of every other promo gun.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
I absolutely hate Phantoms. There seems to be so many more of them all of a sudden, to the extent that I've had enough of it.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
So has everyone got their commendation packs now? Asking because I haven't and I solo'd a Bronze mission to make sure no consumables were used.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah at this point I'd contact support.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Thundercloud posted:

So has everyone got their commendation packs now? Asking because I haven't and I solo'd a Bronze mission to make sure no consumables were used.
I never got mine, opened a case and got the pack next day.

Valiant I :dance:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

TJO posted:

Has anyone else thought about new characters they could add and general ways they could change the game up? I was thinking about a set based on reservists/non-traditional soldiers.

Adept - Biotic Student, stealing a few design elements from Jack for the clothing with a recon hood or something over the face that uses a new mix-up of existing biotic skills. --I'd like to see new biotic skills.--
Sentinel - Alliance Medic, with a Medigel ability that works like grenades to instantly revive anyone within range --That would be almost useless-- or a 'Field Triage' pylon that boosts shields/shield recharge time. --So no biotic ability? Just like the N7 Paladin?--
Engineer - Batarian Mechanist, bring back the combat drone --No! Don't rehash the Combat Drone. Plus, aren't its abilities close-range anyway?-- but with a more up-close skill set.
Vanguard - Krogan Female, one of the infertile ones, just using Eve's model with a few armour plates. --Doesn't make sense canonically. Plus, one Krogan Vanguard is enough.--
Infiltrator - Asari Commando/Marksman/Maiden, gimmick being 'also has a biotic ability'. --That's what the Sentinel is for.--
Soldier - Marauder, with the new Dominate power. --That's a biotic ability, this is the Soldier class.-- Put one of those glass balls next to the ammo box at the extraction point so it makes sense.

A new enemy group would be good too, the obvious one being Mercenaries. Geth Hunters could be re-skinned as shotgun-wielding Eclipse mercs. --We do not need two Geth Hunter enemy types to deal with.-- There was a comment in the new DLC about an Atlas mech "not having Alliance or Cerberus colours,", so it's possible a merc group could have them, that could be re-skinned. The basic Cerberus soldier could just become Blue Sun soldiers with Centurians being Turians or something. Geth Pyros could become Vorcha, with no shields but regenerating health, Loki mechs --I like the idea but canonically it might not work.-- could have a Husk role as easily killed mooks, the only enemy that might take a bit of programming work would be Krogan enemies, as Brute/Geth Prime types with a shotgun and a charge attack or some kind of instant-kill 'lots of headbutts' thing.

I'd also like it if they re-jigged the objective rounds to put one more in, waves 7-10 always feels a bit of a slog to me, a round at 5 then 8 would be a bit more varied than just one at 6. --That's not the kind of mix-up this game needs. An entirely new game mode would be preferable.--

All the emboldened text is stuff I disagree with, words in italics are comments I added in. I'm not going to sugarcoat it, almost all of these ideas are absolutely terrible.

If they are releasing more characters, I'd put money on a sort of "Homeworlds" DLC that involves Council races. Perhaps they'll even make the character cards ultra-rare? I really want to see more Drell, as well as Elcor or Rachni classes (sigh :allears:) but that's probably little more than a pipe dream.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
While we're floating ridiculous class ideas, do you think it would be possible to balance an ability letting class x (let's say Turian Engineer) throw down a small piece of cover?

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Sentinel - Alliance Medic, with a Medigel ability that works like grenades to instantly revive anyone within range --That would be almost useless-- or a 'Field Triage' pylon that boosts shields/shield recharge time. --So no biotic ability? Just like the N7 Paladin?--

Why would an ability to instantly revive a team mate at a distance be useless? It sounds pretty drat useful to me. And why does a sentinel absolutely need a biotic ability? Its a jack of all trades/mixed powers class sure, but that mainly means its the class where characters go which dont really fit into any of the other categories more than anything.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Soldier - Marauder, with the new Dominate power. --That's a biotic ability, this is the Soldier class.--

Why does that matter? Again it sounds like a pretty good idea.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

--Doesn't make sense canonically.

:lol::lol:

Also its fine to have differing opinions but why did you write them as comments in a quote? Its like you're marking an essay or something.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
Anyone else get hosed on the Commendation Pack? I solo'ed a Bronze to be sure I qualified and nothing.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

On hold for EA live support now- been at 5 minute wait for over 5 minutes. Somehow appropriate. . .

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

While we're floating ridiculous class ideas, do you think it would be possible to balance an ability letting class x (let's say Turian Engineer) throw down a small piece of cover?

I want a Krogan with a chainsaw.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This would be great if it worked correctly, but the game already can't handle its own stationary/pre-existing cover without loving out and making you do fifteen things that you didn't want to every time you push a button. Admittedly that's due to the controls more than anything else, but those definitely aren't changing at this point and there's no way the game would work well with anything contextual based around a piece of cover that could technically appear anywhere.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If they add new classes then the next infiltrator should be a drell, there should've always been a drell infiltrator.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Pumpking posted:

Why would an ability to instantly revive a team mate at a distance be useless? It sounds pretty drat useful to me.

It seems like a great idea at first, but if you can't get to someone to revive them, odds are they're not making it out either.

EDIT: From a programming standpoint it would also probably create issues with the revive medals, and they've got enough bloody bugs to fix without some BSN nerds whining about getting credit for grenade-revives.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 13, 2012

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If they add new classes then the next infiltrator should be a drell, there should've always been a drell infiltrator.
To judge from pubbies' weapon choices, they think there already is one. :v:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

highmodulus posted:

Anyone else get hosed on the Commendation Pack? I solo'ed a Bronze to be sure I qualified and nothing.
yep I got hosed too. Not worth waiting on hold forever though. Oh well.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pumpking posted:

Why would an ability to instantly revive a team mate at a distance be useless? It sounds pretty drat useful to me. And why does a sentinel absolutely need a biotic ability? Its a jack of all trades/mixed powers class sure, but that mainly means its the class where characters go which dont really fit into any of the other categories more than anything.
A revive grenade sounds pretty drat awful. It has the potential to either be glitchy and unreliable and hard to use, or so good that it breaks the game. Since we're talking about BioWare here, I'd say it would turn out to be the former--and there would be NO way to balance that power in either situation.

And I didn't say that Sentinels "absolutely need a biotic ability," but we already have the all-tech Paladin. The niche of "tech-bursting Sentinel" is filled by the Paladin already, so it'd be redundant to have another all-tech Sentinel (and simply silly when juxtaposed with an Asari Infiltrator who just happens to have a biotic ability). I wouldn't mind an all-biotic Sentinel, but the idea of having the Sentinel lean completely one way or the other kind of takes away from the idea of what a Sentinel is supposed to be in the first place. In other words, if BioWare has an idea for an all-tech Sentinel, just save it for the next DLC and make it an Engineer.

Pumpking posted:

Why does that matter? Again it sounds like a pretty good idea.
Having a Leviathan-controlled Reaper class is indeed a pretty good idea, but Soldiers just can't have biotic abilities (just like Infiltrators can't have them and Sentinels ought to have them). Plus, a Marauder Soldier might be too similar to a Turian Soldier for some players' tastes.

I guarantee you that if Dominate does show up, it'll be on an Asari, possibly an Ardat-Yakshi "vampire" sort of thing.

Pumpking posted:

:lol::lol:

Also its fine to have differing opinions but why did you write them as comments in a quote? Its like you're marking an essay or something.
Ha ha, yeah I get it. But c'mon, it is pretty redundant to have two Krogan Vanguards.

Also, I commented in the quote because I wanted to respond to each idea individually. Making a separate quote for each little idea (and there were many ideas proposed) was too tedious.

kalel fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 13, 2012

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Gameplay-wise, it sounds fun and presents some new tactical possibilities. Game-wise, I'd say no. We already have a huge number of bugs related to players glitching through terrain and this would just add a bunch more (plus the exciting possibility of enemies getting stuck under the floor, or objective waves glitching out because the drone's pathfinding gets confused by the new polygons).

So long as we're posting class suggestions, here's mine. It's intended as a support class which improves the team's effectiveness in long-range engagements (which have been somewhat neglected in the meta-game, due to additions such as Batarian melee, Annihilation Field, and - most importantly - the Piranha shotgun).

-----------

Turian Field Technician (Engineer)

Signature Ability: Shield Disruption. Functionally similar to Tactical Scan - an undodgeable non-projectile ability which requires line-of-sight. Hits one enemy, persists for 6 seconds, negates 50% of the shield gate for the duration, and sets up tech bursts (but does not detonate them). The base cooldown would be relatively high (I'm thinking 10s); this is something that would be applied thoughtfully to high-value targets rather than being spammed everywhere. Applies a trivial DoT (e.g. 50 damage per second) to the target, for visual recognition ("hey Infiltrator, shoot the sparky guy!"), to suppress shield regeneration for the duration, and so that it can light up cloaked targets. Intended as a first-strike ability which renders a target vulnerable to long-range fire. Due to the long base cooldown, the player will get poor mileage out of it if they're carrying a Widow. This ability is most effective when used to support a teammate's sniping.
  • Evolution option: Phasing. Negates the shield gate completely.
  • Evolution option: Damage and Duration. Upgrades the electrical DoT to inflict modest damage (150 dps?) and increases the duration of effect.
  • Evolution option: Discharge. If the target's shields are depleted while the Shield Disruption ability is in-effect, then the excess capacitor energy is released into the immediate vicinity. The in-game effect would be a weak Tech Burst. This is intended mainly as a bonus for all those bolt-action snipers who have difficulty with crowd control - now you can headshot a guy so hard that his buddies feel it!
  • Evolution option: Viral algorithm. If the target's shields are depleted within the duration, then the effect jumps to a second shielded target within 10m. The original duration is not extended when a jump occurs.
  • Evolution option: Biotic Disruption. Sends modulated electrical currents through biotic implants, impairing the target's ability to maintain a biotic Barrier. For people who don't give a poo poo about lore and just want a universal anti-shieldgate ability (e.g. for sniping Phantoms at long range). You're still at the mercy of the basic game mechanics (for example: Tech Bursts do 200% damage against Shields but only 100% against Barriers).
  • Evolution option: Shield Mitigation. Not sure about this one; it might be too over-powered. For the duration of the ability, the target's shields impair abilities rather than blocking them completely. A shield-disrupted Hunter can be knocked back by Concussive Shot, and a shield-disrupted Marauder can be briefly incapacitated by Pull. Obviously, targets with Armor would still retain their natural resistances and immunities. Note: Lash provides us with a precedent for "abilities can sometimes bypass shields, but with reduced effect".
    Implementation might be tricky - if the target survives long enough for Shield Disruption to expire, then any shieldhacked abilities should also expire. You could minimize weirdness by drastically reducing ability duration (e.g. a shieldhacked Pull lasts only 2s) but what if a shieldhacked target has been grabbed by a Singularity? Would it just fall down and then go about its business?
Ability: Incinerate. It's a lousy ability, but I'll include it for thematic reasons (since it's been established in lore as the dedicated anti-armor support power). If the player evolves Shield Disruption for extended duration, then a follow-up Incinerate should trigger tech bursts even at long range. If they don't, then distance/weight/timing becomes important (similar to the Turian Sentinel's [Overload > Warp] combo).

Ability: Cryo Grenades. Bose-Einstein condensate technobabble blah blah blah. We already have fire and electricity grenades, so let's freeze some bitches. Evolution options should be similar to Snap Freeze: Armor weakening, target slowing, hot/cold synergy. Include a +grenadeCapacity option for consistency.

Passives. Nothing special here. Turian gunnery stuff (stability, carrying capacity), a few +grenade options, perhaps an Assault Rifle specialization option.

-----------

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Ha ha, yeah I get it. But c'mon, it is pretty redundant to have two Krogan Vanguards.

There are either three or four Human Vanguards, depending on your perspective. Fundamentally I think your counterarguments are based on lore and fluff, which would be a more reasonable basis if this was a well-made standalone game and not a silly mod for a singleplayer game basically.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

GulMadred posted:

Turian Field Technician (Engineer)

I like this. At the very least it seems to be thought-out and not OMG WOULDN'T THIS BE COOL YOU GUYZ? I think that it should universally apply to shields and barriers from the get-go, because otherwise it'd be a little annoying. And Cryo grenades should've been a thing a while ago.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Totally agree. Who says Drell have to be biotic anyway?

Edit:

Zombies' Downfall posted:

There are either three or four Human Vanguards, depending on your perspective. Fundamentally I think your counterarguments are based on lore and fluff, which would be a more reasonable basis if this was a well-made standalone game and not a silly mod for a singleplayer game basically.

There are four. Two are the same except for the gender, one uses whips and the other teleports and has a sword. Very different playstyles between them. I guess my issue is that "Female Krogan Vanguard" by itself doesn't sound very different from the regular ol' Kroguard; if there was more description of the female's unique abilities I'd be okay. But Krogan are tanks by design, so you'd be hard-pressed to think of ways to distinguish this Vanguard Tank from the other Vanguard Tank.

And excuse me for enjoying my immersion.

kalel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 14, 2012

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I guess my issue is that "Female Krogan Vanguard" by itself doesn't sound very different from the regular ol' Kroguard;

And excuse me for enjoying my immersion.

Of course it is! Bioware showed us just how unique and different the female krogan are in me3. :v: Immersion saved!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Thinking about the possibility of a drell infiltrator, what would be the best way to balance a flash/blink long-range teleport ability? Biotic Charge and Shadow Strike already do similar things, the difference here being that it does very little damage when it connects but doesn't need a target. Maybe throw down a smoke bomb before you 'port that does a small AoE debuff or staggers enemies in the area you just left? Give him tac cloak, blink and some sort of marksman for sniper rifles (e.g. bypass shield gate, do 15% extra headshot damage when active).

I like the turian technician idea because what the game really needs is more buff/debuff classes that promote team synergy.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 14, 2012

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It could just be as simple as the Tac Cloak turning on and then turning back off when he teleports. The problem with a target-less teleport is aiming. It's the same principle as the N7 Fury and Slayer: when will the game be able to tell when you want to stop in front of a ledge or on top of it?

And marksman for sniper rifles, would that be Assassination? Because Assassination should so be a thing in this game. A super-charged one-shot bonus to the next bullet that comes out of any weapon you fire (or maybe just sniper rifles? Or an evo to extend the power to all weapons?). It would be instant death.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

nwin posted:

yep I got hosed too. Not worth waiting on hold forever though. Oh well.

FWIW- I did the "live chat" feature online while I gooffed around here and a few other sites. The nice Indian bloke hooked me right up. Valiant III. Took about 10-15 minutes or so.

I gave him a very good review in the follow-up email- hope that helps my tech support live chat friend!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Taking a damage build on Tactical Cloak would basically be like Assassination wouldn't it? They already got rid of the dice roll weapon skills, so remaking Assassination would basically be combining Marksman and Tactical Cloak/Adrenaline Rush and it just seems redundant to me.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

highmodulus posted:

I sent off a ticket yesterday evening and received my pack by the afternoon today. Come to think of it, I don't even know if I technically completed the squad goal (I know I completed the goal, not sure about squaddies), but they still honored it.

On the other hand, the only rare in the pack was an Eagle I.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

GulMadred posted:

Ability: Cryo Grenades. Bose-Einstein condensate technobabble blah blah blah. We already have fire and electricity grenades, so let's freeze some bitches.
Would pay realbux if this was the in game description.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

Taking a damage build on Tactical Cloak would basically be like Assassination wouldn't it? They already got rid of the dice roll weapon skills, so remaking Assassination would basically be combining Marksman and Tactical Cloak/Adrenaline Rush and it just seems redundant to me.

quote:

Assassination

Fire a super-charged shot that uses one full clip from your weapon. Only applies to the next shot fired after the power becomes active. The cooldown begins immediately after a shot is fired.

Rank 1: Assassination
Recharge Speed: 10 sec
Duration: 4 sec
Weapon Damage Bonus: +100%

Rank 2: Recharge Speed
Reduce recharge speed by 15% (8.5 sec).

Rank 3: Duration
Increase duration by 15% (4.6 sec).

Rank 4: Damage OR Recharge Speed
Increase damage bonus by 25% (125%).
OR
Reduce recharge speed by 25% (6 sec).

Rank 5: Bonus Power OR Armor Piercing
Fire one power while Assassination is active.
OR
Increase damage bonus against armored enemies by 50%.

Rank 6: Melee Damage OR Double Shot
Increase damage bonus by 50% (150% or 175%).
Extend damage bonus to include next heavy melee strike. Damage bonus only applies to next shot or next heavy melee strike, whichever occurs first.
OR
Increase duration by 20% (5.6 sec).
Extend damage bonus to two shots.

Thoughts? I'm afraid it might be a little overpowered, but a) unlike Tac Cloak, enemies can still see you; b) it uses one full clip for each shot; and c) it has a long cooldown.

This would be a power for a Drell Infiltrator, so the Drell's squishiness might also be a way to offset the insane potential this power provides. Perhaps it could even replace Tactical Cloak? (or there could be some sort of teleport power to replace the other half of the Tac Cloak's function).

kalel fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 14, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Joined a couple of friends just to see what they were up to if they had a spot open.

They were 2-manning Platinum Condor Geth.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Thoughts? I'm afraid it might be a little overpowered, but a) unlike Tac Cloak, enemies can still see you; b) it uses one full clip for each shot; and c) it has a long cooldown.

This would be a power for a Drell Infiltrator, so the Drell's squishiness might also be a way to offset the insane potential this power provides. Perhaps it could even replace Tactical Cloak? (or there could be some sort of teleport power to replace the other half of the Tac Cloak's function).

So essentially a version of tactical cloak that encourages the use of weapons that already frontload their damage into single shots like claymores and widows? If you took the "double shot" evolution would that make these weapons suddenly have an extra shot in the mag or would it simply last through a reload?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I have to be the only person on the planet that doesn't have a loving Piranha.

Anyway, since we're throwing things about, here's mine.

Asari Vampire (Ardat-Yakshi Soldier)
Reave (ME2 version, that was the one that restored health when you drained organics, right?)
Fortification
Dominate

Simple!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'd have it only apply to headshots, to shift the emphasis toward sniper rifles. They're kinda languishing on higher difficulties and it would be nice to see them back.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Anyway, since we're throwing things about, here's mine.

Asari Vampire (Ardat-Yakshi Soldier)
Reave (ME2 version, that was the one that restored health when you drained organics, right?)
Fortification
Dominate

Simple!

Except for the bit where you're serving Banshee-fodder up to the Reapers on a silver platter. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Special ability: If grabbed by a banshee, you join the Reaper team.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Psion posted:

New abilities:

Screamwarp
Screamgrab
Screamnova

Firing trigger is replaced by screaming
A button bounces you forward if you have barriers

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Psion posted:

Ugh, the thought of having to stare at that curved spine for half a game. *shudder*

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
To be honest I'd love to see a power that actually let you control enemies for a short bit. Leaving your character vulnerable and force your teammates to decide weather to focus on an objective/mass of enemies or protect you while you control an Atlas/Brute/Prime and wreck poo poo.

I know this is a huge pipe-dream but I still think it'd be cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
In a match right now where a krogan soldier is warping through the floors, two N7 soldiers reegars are firing nonstop, and my shields regenerate to full whenever I am hurt. Waltzed into four phantoms with my GethInf and heavy melee'd them to death.

Love this game.

• Locked thread