Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The only things the piranha needs to be balanced are a bit more weight, slightly lowered damage, and increased recoil. More weight means it gets taken out of the "put on anything, even adepts" class and into the "balanced weapon power and cooldowns" class. Lower damage, because :drat:. And increased recoil because it would mean you could use it up close super fast or at medium range without fire rate boosts but not both.

With these changes it remains a powerful weapon in the situation it was designed for, up close and personal, while no longer allowing GIs and Demolishers to snipe people with it across a map or powers-focused characters to carry the most powerful weapon in the game with only slight increases to cooldowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

Geth Infiltrator or "This Machine Kills Reapers"

The Plexiglass Cannon:
  • Tactical Cloak 4 | Damage
  • Proximity Mine 5 | Radius | Damage taken
  • Hunter Mode 6 | Weapon Accuracy | Rate of Fire | Damage
  • Networked AI 6 | Weapon Damage | Power Damage | Weapon Damage
  • Advanced Hardware 5 | Durability | Shield Recharge

Equipment:

Equipment should be a high-damage shotgun with extended barrel and smart choke. Ammo power should be your highest level AP ammo. Add a rail amp and an adrenaline module to round out your consumables. Gear is up to personal preference; either a high-level shotgun amp or a stronghold package.

Strategy:

Engage hunter mode and leave it on. When you see an enemy in very rapid succession hit tactical cloak, proximity mine, and start shooting. Repeat until dead. Don't be afraid to shoot through walls. Proximity mine also works through walls provided the enemy is within range.

Notes:

Many people go for a 5/6/6/6/3 build but shield regen speed is very important for infiltrators, especially on platinum. You gain a fraction of a second on cloak recharge and a couple hundred damage on proximity mine but you make an already fragile class into a soap bubble. On platinum you really can't have enough shield regen gear.

Edit: Build here

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 8, 2012

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Shield recharge is pretty good but I prefer 4/6/6/6/4 because the extra damage on proxy mine is really useful for killing phantoms. I just use a ops survival for those situations where the shield recharge difference would actually matter.

It's all up to personal preference. I almost never use cover so I want that shield gate up as soon as possible. Minor differences aside the "bones" of the shotgun gethfiltrator are 4/5//6/6/3 with two points to stick where it fits your playstyle.

I also encourage an outlandish color scheme to help your teammates avoid mistaking you for a hunter. I go for fuchsia/lime myself.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

VJeff posted:

How do you guys feel on Magazine Upgrade vs. Heat Sink for the Hurricane?

Heat Sink, heat skink all the way. Magazine just increases the bullets per thermal clip, heat sink increases bullets per clip and overall.

Heat sink and HV barrel for up close murder, stability and HV barrel for mid-range murder.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I too just promoted all my classes last night, as a lark. *grumble*

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Two weapon chat:

Now that the Pistol ULM is in and it makes SMG ULM works I really like a talon/paladin paired with a hurricane. I use the extended barrel or scope on the pistol and the HV barrel on the SMG so I can use the pistol for long range plinking and the SMG for guardians and laying into armored bosses.

The pistol/smg switch animation is much faster than the long guns so you can swap very easily.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The vanguard buffs are absolutely amazing.

I decided to take my novaguard (which used to be my favored class) out of storage to see how things had changed and OH MY GOD, the biotic pinball is back! I was tearing apart Cerberus on gold, and this is after not playing for a couple weeks and not playing novaguard for at least a month. I was outscoring the rest of my team combined and just killed the last enemy on a wave ten hack where I basically soloed wave after wave of atlasses and phantoms when..

You have lost connection... :shepicide:

I guess I should consider myself lucky... I've been playing since the game came out and this is the first really egregious disconnect I can remember.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Those are what I've been trying to unlock for a while. I got a really good burst of luck a while ago which gave me several things which have since become crutches like the Mattock and N7 Fury, but since then it's mostly been a ton of crappy gear equipments. I suppose they most likely are more statistically probable to show up just by nature of how many of the drat things there are.

Believe me, they are not. I get maybe one gear piece out of every three SPs/PSPs I buy.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Eckertmania posted:

I just got my first maxed out Ultra Rare: The Javelin.

One down, several to go.

and what a perfect time to get it.

I maxed out my Paladin recently and it owns being able to carry the second most powerful pistol with 190% cooldowns without ULM.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Bronze to silver is a pretty big jump. You need a team that is either level 12+ or has some really good equipment to do silver. The jump from silver to gold is much smaller than from bronze to silver.

Remember that bronze, by nature, has to be beatable by four level one characters with base equipment.

Also, as said, add me on origin (gangringo) because everything is more fun with goons.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 31, 2012

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Phantons are pretty good. They hit hard but they go down pretty easily and can be staggered. They would be better if they didn't have the shield or couldn't attack while using it.

Atlases are 100% fine as-is. They take a lot of damage but you have to be pretty unobservant to let one get too close.

Brutes are kinda bad. They move fast and take a lot of damage, but have a predictable charge pattern that can be dodged and they rarely sync kill.

Banshees are loving bullshit! They have close to the most shields/armor in the game, they teleport past you and through walls, they have both homing and AOE DOT attacks that keep your shields from regenerating, and they have shields that protect them from all tech and biotic damage whenever they feel like it. Not to mention that the Banshee/Ravager combo is much deadlier than a sum of its parts.

To top it all off the positional audio is WAY off in the game, so sometimes a banshee will scream right in your ear when she's across the map, and sometimes the first you'll hear of them is when they pick you up.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Elotana posted:

In terms of netcode, no, but there's a PC add-on from the Bioware forums that lets you ping lobbies, and most of the time you can get away with playing Vanguard if the host has <50 ping. So you can avoid it a little more reliably.

What is this wizardry and why has it not been discussed at length?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Nordick posted:

Also, I discovered that picking a certain shade of orange as the secondary colour on the N7 Fury makes her outfit look rather, uhm, less than combat-worthy. :v:

I like to keep her like that just to take a piss on the usual female video game character design tropes.

She can hang out with the Asari Adept.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I used to go crazy coloring my characters. For a while I was making them match their weapons, then I came up with some schemes I thought were clever (iron man and master chief colors for cerberus dudes and wolverine colors for the vorcha) Now I just go for an across the board black/cyan look

Edit: Bonus weapon-matched human vanguard

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 11, 2012

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Kroguard is great, and can take some punishment, but it can't match the sheer giant-slaying power of the Gethfiltrator.

My favorite overall class is a 4/5/6/6/5 Geth Infiltrator carrying a Pirhana with choke and barrel equipped with the stronghold package, AP rounds, Shield Power Cells (or adrenaline module), and a Shotgun Amp.

Everything melts... EVERYTHING. Once you get into the instant cloak>prox mine>fire weapon groove you can run train on anything the game can throw at you without worrying about sync kills like with the Kroguard. With hunter mode you can even use the Pirhana at medium to long range while in cover.

The Reegar is a great gun for soldier-type enemies, but it lacks the armor-hitting power of the Piranha.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Mother loving Eagle V

I still maintain that one day bioware will buff the eagle and we will all be laughing, but until then :shepicide:

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Increase the Eagle's base damage to the same as the Phalanx.

Boom, Eagle is fixed.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

No points in shockwave. You should never have anything on cooldown but charge.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

You want to talk about the desire sensor? HUH?

All I want is a harrier.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I brought out my Kroguad to try the update and didn't desync once, including the times where I'm pretty sure it would have desynced before. On top of that, rage working properly is amazing. I was one-shotting phantoms left and right.

I noticed the game corrects a lot more often. If I was downed while running I would be re-set back a few feet. If something died at the same time I charged it the game would re-route my charge to a totally different enemy, often times one I couldn't even see. Sync kills are still a bitch but every one I've had has been legit. I haven't seen a magnet hand all day.

This really should be called the kroguard update. From rage to vanguard desync to human adepts getting a biotic explosion funhouse power, the halls of Tuchanka are echoing with the laughter of vanguards.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Eagle VII :yotj:

And now that I've almost maxed out the booby prize, thus never having to get it again they seem to have added another brand new even bigger booby prize.

Great

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I'm stuck at home with a bad cold, if anyone wants to play some laid-back bronze-silver games with me while I'm loopy on cough syrup my origin name is "Gangringo"

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Got the Volus engineer, he is hilarious with incendiary ammo. Debuffs, DOT, and fire explosions out the wazoo.

Do Voluses even have wazoos?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Eagle VIII

Only two more to go.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Welp, after playing this game for something like 4 months straight, I FINALLY managed to realize how you're supposed to use the Claymore. I always thought that the circle for the shotguns worked like the crosshairs for everything else, showing the current expected variability of your shots, and I focus-aimed with all my other weapon types. I never realized that you aim this thing by not aiming it. Now I understand how nuts the Claymore GethInf is, and I don't even have him levelled all the way yet*. The HVB seems really handy for this, too, since you can get both power and penetration to go with the smart choke instead of choosing just one.

*I'm going 46664, is that how it's usually done?

I go slightly different, 4/5/6/6/5

The extra reduction in shield recharge delay helps a lot because cloaking resets the timer on that and the extra damage on prox mine is a tiny fraction of the first shot out of your gun.

If you combine the extra shield recharge with a stronghold package your shields start recharging almost instantly when you drop cloak or get into cover.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

What is the best way to change FOV in multiplayer? I've been using the shared_aim method but I just found out about the better method that changes the default FOV. The only problem is the new method only works in single player.

Is there something that works in MP that isn't as kludgey as shared_aim?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

Ok here's more of a turned-off neon tube color:

Or maybe grey looks better

I can totally hear the *ding*ding*ding*ding*

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Mr Butthole posted:

No.

I regularly play Krogan Vanguard, I never host, and pretty much top score Gold everytime.

I play Kroguard off host because he can be played like a face-wrecking soldier that occasionally refills his shields and gets in enemy faces. The squishier vanguards that live on that high risk/reward knife edge need to be hosted becasue nothing is worse than dying because a charge/stagger blast just didn't go off.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

How are y'all speccing your face-raping Valkyries? Is it AF only or is there warp mixed in?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Batarian Brawler vs. Geth is so much fun.

If punching robots' heads off is wrong then I don't wanna be right.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I go with black/cyan on all characters except ones that have unchangable highlights like the Turian which is black/orange.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The RNG took me up to an Eagle VIII and now has been giving me Valiant and Crusader upgrades (IV and V respectively). Meanwhile, the only promo weapon I use regularly, the Hurricane, remains at III.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

So I'm trying out various warp ammo builds. Before I make a fool of myself, can someone tell me how warp ammo works exactly so I don't mix things up?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I just got a silver tech kills medal.

On a vanguard :stare:

Slayer + Acolyte + Incendiary ammo is stupid awesome. You can strip shields and prime whole groups of enemies then detonate them with every one of your powers. The only time I had any trouble was when I went mad with bloodlust and got too greedy for explosions.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

losonti tokash posted:

So who else is in the N7 Eagle VII club now? :smith:

Eagle VIII for me. I actually want to get it to X now just because.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

All the Raptor needs is a reduction in hipfire penalty when doing normal shots and an arc pistol style charge shot. Make it a sort of jack of all trades gun, lighter than carrying a sniper and an AR but not quite as good as either.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

As the owner of a Saber X I am literally giddy right now.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

So does the cloak confer the damage bonus for the entire duration of Dark Channel or just while the cloak is up?

I tried it out with lv. 4 damage cloak and lv. 6 Dark Channel and it didn't feel terribly powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

A couple final huntress math questions. Is the 25% bonus from cloak additive (based on base damage) or multiplicative (based on buffed damage)? Does the warp damage bonus affect shields as well?

If the answers are multiplicative and yes she may become my default giant killer. The only annoying part about the Gethfiltrator is getting through atlas/banshee/praetorian/prime shields, after that it's cake. Well, that and dying to a stiff breeze.

Until the weapon damage bug gets fixed I'm going to lay off the huntress but I feel like there's a good build in there somewhere.

• Locked thread