Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I have just finished reading the DR guide.

Going to go respec my BatSent for 45000 shields, I need a Justicar, any volunteers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

360. GT is Two Finger. I am going to write up a Vanguard guide, too.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Two Finger's Guide to Vanguarding:
This guide will deal with ONLY standard Human Vanguards. This spec is highly effective on bronze and silver and limited use on gold. I am not insane enough to try it on Platinum.

There is a little more to it than that. You need to take the following spec:
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#50RAOOP@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0
The first evolution of Nova is up to you - I like radius because you can launch straight into a Nova after a charge which without radius normally will not hit your target. That said, if you don't mind dashing a step before launching it, take the extra damage by all means.

The strengths of the Vanguard are its utterly incredible survivability and damage dealing ability. The Nova ability and the Charge ability are what your playstyle should be built around, for the very simple reason that Nova has NO cooldown and so can be fired anytime you have shields. Since Charge refills your shields with the Evo 6, you charge, then nova, then charge, then nova. What I have not yet mentioned is that both Charge and Nova have invulnerability frames - making charge-nova-charge-nova surprisingly survivable, even amongst large hordes of enemies, provided you do not get staggered.
In addition to this, both Charge and Nova stagger mooks UP TO AND INCLUDING PHANTOMS.
As icing on the cake, both Charge and Nova are biotic detonators. If you have a friendly Justicar around to Reave your targets, you can become a serious weapon.

Under NO circumstances do you want your cooldown to be any lower than +150% - I almost always run 200% which became easier as I got things like the Carnifex up ranks, but in all honesty, on Silver I almost never fire a shot anyway.

A lot of people swear by the half-blast Nova, but the reason I steer clear of it is this: Power Recharge stacks. I am not entirely certain of how many times it can stack - I have heard 3 - but what I do know, is that if you launch straight into a Nova from your first charge, you will have perhaps half a second before you can charge again. After your third, there is effectively NO gap between them, meaning you will lunge between charge and nova as fast as you can mash the button. Do not take this to mean you are invincible - the time between the Nova animation ending and the Charge animation starting can be enough for you to be dropped, particularly on Gold.

As I am sure you can guess, Banshees are going to be your absolute worst enemy. It is possible to charge-nova them to death, but you are taking your life in your hands when you do so as they cannot be stunned, leaving you wide open to instakills.

The thing with this class, is it rewards ruthless aggression. It is a great way for a new player to get a lot of experience (and credits) in a hurry so that they may begin to unlock the newer classes and weapons. This is how I got my start.

Tricky things to watch out for:
Guardians, first and foremost.
Charge will not damage them and neither will Nova if they are facing you. Carry a good pistol (Carnifex is a favourite) with AP ammo.

Phantoms, while you can and do stunlock them with repeated charge-nova attacks, have a bad habit of grabbing you out of a charge. It has happened to me several times. Don't be afraid to charge them, by any means, but be aware of what you are getting yourself into.

Hunters. I have heard rumours that their bullshit stunlock crap has been nerfed, but they can and will ruin your day, because you can NOT charge out of it. Primes are the same, though if you are feeling insane enough, it is entirely possible to solo them on up to Silver.

Some players advocate heavy melee directly after a Charge, but I almost invariably simply spam charge-nova-charge-nova.

One other important thing to note, is that this class is extraordinarily effective at dealing with pesky ranged enemies such as Nemeses and Ravagers. Ravagers have no close range attack, leaving them VERY vulnerable to chargenova, and Nemeses must stick their head out to fire allowing you to lock-on and smash into them.

Just remember,
Always
Be
Charging.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's something I used in my playstyle for a while without really realising it.
Once someone mentioned it to me, I clicked as to why at the start of a combat, I had to hesitate before using Nova - there is nothing worse than winding up with no shields and a good half a second before you are able to Charge again.
Basically, you want to learn to time your Nova so it ends around the same time as Charge's cooldown finishes.

For the first one, you need to hesitate for perhaps half a second after a charge before pressing Nova, to avoid the dreaded no-shields delay.

For the second, it is slightly less.
After your third or so (I've never actually sat down and counted) you will notice you are able to spam charge and nova as fast as the game can react with no delay between nova finishing and charge's being ready again.

I need to go get some dinner, but I'll be back in an hour or so and I will attempt to take videos to prove my point.

Edit: For clarity, I am talking about the Power Recharge evolution of Nova. Each successive Nova decreases the cooldown time of Charge.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Half blast nova actually does make you literally invincible as long as you take care not to get staggered which is highly avoidable. If you're trying to get the most out of human vanguard then you absolutely should take it as it's quite game breaking, although obviously it also makes it quite a shallow class. It looks like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MIzrBSCfF0, note the turret firing full blast and doing 0 damage, no other character has quite that level of invincibility obviously.

These days there are faster and more reliable ways to beat matches without too much effort, but this was a big deal in the demo...

Just so everyone knows, this is what I mean about Vanguard being insanely aggressive. You could not play like that with ANY other class.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Batham posted:

Even the turret doesn't know anymore what the fucks going on.

I will admit I'm pretty impressed by the ownage of that Turret. I'm a diehard fullblast supporter, and it is entirely possible to take on a turret and annihilate it, but... you do have to be a little more careful than that.

Though from how squishy everything seemed, I think that was Bronze?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Operation: NOBLE

After discovering a great historical film, Admiral Hackett wants to create a groundswelling of support for the war effort by mirroring the events of the film.

Squad goal: Your team must go down in the following ways:
One must be shot through the back of the head.
One must die during the new variant of the hack objective - 'repair bomb timer'
One must be instakilled by a Phantom or Banshee and take advantage of the new half-second window to heavy melee the enemy as they drop to the ground.
One must be left standing in the extraction zone after the shuttle crashes, leaving them no chance of escape. The game will continue until this player is killed.

Snipers need fulfill none of these conditions, and will be automatically extracted in wave 8.

Allied goal: More games of Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer played for the weekend than Halo Reach. Assassination animations will be unlocked for all characters if this is achieved.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I'd be happy to help, how should I spec it?

From reading everything else, all I need is a bubble. The 30% DR in there will put me at 60 with the spec I currently have, and if what I'm reading about the Batarians is correct (in that they get a further 75% DR on heavy melee), then that will push me to 135% DR which is apparently what is needed for ludicrous shields.

I am interested to try this, not gonna lie.

So, who's up for a test-run? We need another Batarian to chill in the bubble with me, a Gethgineer with a turret specced for shield regen, and a Justicar. Team Falcon Punch!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

VJeff posted:

How hard would it be to implement something like that in the game? Enemies spawn, and don't stop spawning, every so often, you get X credit bonus that increases incrementally until you've got half a dozen banshees amorously pawing at you.

Wow, this would be fantastic.

I'd love to see this and Huskopalypse.

Eckertmania posted:

Ballistic Blades Power
- Base damage increased from 800 to 900

:getin:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Don't hate!
I love the Kishock.

It just feels RIGHT on a Batarian.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CONFIRMED:
Batarian Heavy Melee, with Blade armour, and a Bubble, is enough to tip your damage reduction to invulnerability. It is awesome.

Atlases can still grab you, though :(

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

It was cool seeing you lunge at enemies with your invinci-punch. It was both sad and hilarious to see the Atlas break your spine! :haw:

It's definitely situational. Has its uses, but is tricky to do and difficult to make useful. At the right time though...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

thevoiceofdog posted:

Helpful tip: Do NOT heavy melee an enemy as a Batarian that has simultaneously been hit with the Lash power.

You are wrong.

Additionally, if an enemy has just been pulled or singularity'd, Heavy Melee. Provided you score a kill, you will king-hit them into loving space.

I wish I had a video of the time I did that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nordick posted:

Well I specced my Justicar 6/6/4/4/6 and played a couple matches. I did pretty well, but she just wasn't all that exciting to play.

Switched to the BatSol after that, and had a jolly good time shotgunning and falcon-punching poo poo in the face. Although oftentimes the light melee one-two-three shotgun bludgeon combo is quicker with mooks and also very drat satisfying.
Which reminds me, is there any love here for the Wraith shotgun? Don't think I've seen anyone mention it, but I find it a pretty drat good gun. Gave it to my BatSol with a bayonet and high-caliber barrel, and it really wrecks poo poo. As a bonus it's pretty drat light.

Then in the lobby I noticed an N7 Fury joined my game, so I switched to my own Fury, and welp

:shepface:

This is the thing with the AJ. It is about the most unexciting class to play imaginable, you don't actually score a lot of kills on your own, but you are absolutely a force multiplier. A good AJ will increase the team's survivability threefold*. A great example is when SciFiDownBeat and I get together - if he's AJ, I'm either Batsent with invinci-punch, or Slayer with ALL THE EXPLOSIONS. While the AJ may not be the flashiest or deadliest class, it adds SO MUCH to everyone around it.

*I may have pulled this number out of my rear end

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Yeah, you're right. I had an idea recently: On Gold or Platinum I'll use whatever gun I want, but I'm gonna experiment with guns I don't normally/ever play with on Silver and Bronze. I've been honestly having a blast with my 6/0/6/6/6 Human Soldier (max Frags, no Conc Shot) testing out some guns that I almost never use.

His name is Darren Marshall, the shotgun-toting black-clad knight of the London city streets! Beware Reapers, for your reckoning is at hand.

SciFiDownBeat was taken down by Banshee.
SciFiDownBeat bled to death.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Finally got a Crusader. Is there any gimmicky class build I can do with this?

I like it on my Ventinel. I tend to run a Harrier and a Claymore or a Crusader because weight is absolutely not a problem for the Vorcha. While it blows against barriers, I find the Crusader absolutely shreds armour. Great against Atlasses.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

zxqv8 posted:

I watched from 58 like Lagomorphic said, and I bet his heart stopped after he left the circle the second time and that banshee popped in next to him at the top of the stairs. I'm not aware of any way to stop a magnet hand solo.

Hell, I just about choked when I saw that, and I wasn't even playing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Here's my manifest:
http://social.bioware.com/4059732/&v=bw_games&game=masseffect3_xbox&pid=319402374&display=multiplayer
I find I tend to mostly just play Demolisher these days.

Someone recommend me a character/weapon combo based on what I have.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

Biotic explosions always work as long as the detonator power hits whatever is primed. What you're thinking of regarding effectiveness is probably how certain primer powers don't work on certain targets. Pull and Singularity can't prime anything with shields/barriers and Lash can't prime armor, but everything else should be fair game.

I recommend this Destroyer build. You only have a Grenade mod at level 3, so I suggest using the Revenant with EB + Piercing and the Claymore with either EB or AP and Choke. The extra bit of shields on Devastator mode may not sound like much but it lets me very comfortable maintained sustained fire with the Revenant. Once you get a levelled up Warfighter gear you might want to consider the Typhoon with EB + Clip - it's got less punch than the Revenant but it's more accurate and has a damage multiplier against defenses. You may also want to swap the Claymore for a Piranha when you get one. In fact, everybody should play a Destroyer with this setup at least once and relive the glory of the ME1 Soldier.

This suitable for Gold? It looks interesting. I'm not certain - are you saying definitely take the Grenade mod? I will have a crack with it later.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the advice. Just a question - how the gently caress do I use the Revenant effectively? Double tap? Short bursts? Bullet hell?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You think I'd be better off with Revenant VII over a Typhoon I?
I don't have any respec cards so I'm gonna roll with the way it's specced for a while and then respec to yours when I can.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Did a gold round with my Kroguard earlier. Pretty drat good. Anyone got a build for it?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Unfortunately ME1's weapons were basically just Borderlandsized versions of the exact same 4 weapons in terms of their use, model, sounds, and pretty much everything about them besides 3 stats, so it's pretty hard to tell them apart. I recall getting loads and loads of useless inventory items and some would occasionally be better in a small but unexciting way, and then at some point near the end the Spectre weapons show up that are objectively better than everything else before them by like double in all stats.

One small semi-related aspect I did like about that awful inventory was that the various armors had different colors for squadmates, not just Shepard. Otherwise, while the combat/gameplay changes from ME1 to ME2 were completely retconned and not well justified in the setting, they all massively improved the whole thing. I may complain about the number of things one button has to do in ME2 and ME3 but when I think back to ME1's terrible combat it really doesn't seem that bad. I just wish some of the more lore-related things established in ME1 had a bigger influence now, although I haven't finished the SP in ME3 yet so I don't know.

Now that I think about it, considering that I always followed this series because I wanted to talk to a robot, and have the robot tell me about robot philosophy, which was why I got ME3 initially, it really is quite a credit to the quality of the MP that I haven't touched the SP since I started my first bronze match. I'm still only about a third of the way through it by my estimate. Obviously I have a lot of complaints with the MP but they really are in spite of the rest of its qualities.

Thing is that ME1's awful combat is justified by Virmire Base Assault, which is cool as hell (the music, I mean.)

I think I might start running my Turian Sentinel again. I have good memories of disruptor ammo + mattock + overload = all the tech bursts.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Operation: Reach

Squad goal: 15 headshots with the DMR Saber on Reach Earth maps
Allied goal: 15,000 assassinations heavy melee kills on Grunts Cerberus Troopers

Race-specific goals:
Jorge Krogan: 50 kills with the heavy machine gun Typhoon.
Emile Vorcha: 10 kukri omni-claw kills.
Kat Quarian: Complete a hack objective solo. Nemesis rounds upgraded to instakill from behind.
Carter Turian: Crash a Pelican into a Scarab Heavy melee a Brute to death.
Jun Geth: 15 headshots with a sniper rifle sniper rifle
Six N7: Go out like a loving boss Sole Survivor, Wave 11.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 23, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

They'll probably do what Bungie did, though... take the most ludicrously unfair enemy in the game and make a that-pocalypse. In Reach, they did Skirmisher-pocalypse, which was outrageously difficult, so in this, I would guess probably Turret-pocalypse.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

GulMadred posted:

Doing Huskapocalypse with a Fury is too easy; Annihilation Field makes it almost impossible for you to be overwhelmed. It's much more fun to rely on massed automatic gunfire and occasional grenades. Similarly, the Demolisher is a bit unfun because they're simply too good at crowd control. On the other hand, seeing someone score a killstreak with a series of "playername [Supply Pylon] Husk" messages on the ticker is hilarious.

If anyone's interested in playing Husk matches (and willing to accept the slight risk of getting banned) then PM me with your Origin name. My previous request didn't turn up enough volunteers to fill a lobby, so if this one goes similarly unanswered then I'll cry myself to sleep wondering why everyone prefers farming over fun stop posting about it.

So is the Revenant the absolute loving boss of this mode? Or the Typhoon, maybe?
I really, really want to try it but I just don't see how it's gonna happen on 360.
Vanguards must be ok, too?
Though I guess a competent Justicar with Warphere would destroy EVERYTHING.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I am just trying to imagine an Escort on Huskfest and I am loving quaking in my boots.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Is there somewhere one can go to report obvious cheaters?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I got a Hurricane! What do I put it on first?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Playing with a PD Slayer. Anyone got a good build? It's... different so far.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

Why don't I ever run into any of these people? I'll take a free 130k for no effort.

Am I an rear end in a top hat for immediately reporting people doing this? It annoys me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Tell us the wonders of Platinum on London and Hydra. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbctF48opUw

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

LogicNinja posted:

I just unlocked the Demolisher today too. Great for FWB/G/G, but I'm not sure how well I'll do in real Gold games. Probably not very--whenever I have to take on even a centurion or Marauder one-on-one, I get shot to death, probably because I'm lovely at shooting.

What guns do people use with the Demolisher? I tried Typhoon I, but wasn't very impressed; I've been going Saber IV/Hurricane 1 or Piranha X and switching depending on the situation.

I always use the Harrier and cycle the other, Crusader is ok, Claymore is ok, Reegar is ok. Just mix and match it with whatever, really.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lago, your Slayer guide mentions using a Tempest. I have a Hurricane, is this acceptable also, or definitely the Tempest?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

VJeff posted:

I just saw a guy spawn into a game after the rest of the team was wiped and he had several assault troopers shooting at him, a grenade thrown at his feet and a Guardian bashing him in the face before he had even gained control. Spectacular.

Anywho, with the BatSent being buffed, anybody have any loadouts they'd like to share?

I maintain BatSents should always, always use a Kishock, because it is just so Batarian to fire a massive spike through a Guardian's shield.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm starting to get the impression that I like silver a lot more than gold or platinum. On most classes gold just feels like if you exist in the line of sight of any ranged enemy whatsoever for a nonzero quantity of seconds, you're suddenly sitting at half a bar of health and have to go back to sitting behind a rock or eat a trail mix bar, which will regardless only give you about a second worth of time to hide. On silver this is still the case for Phantoms because Phantoms are complete bullshit that get to be more dangerous at range than Nemeses, despite being mobile and getting ridiculous DR while moving for no particular reason; that said, they aren't half as frustrating on silver when just having a single other enemy to distract you doesn't mean instant death or running away again.

On a separate note, I've found that the N7 Demolisher makes extraction the most fun two minutes of the round. SUPER GRENADE!

Honestly dude I hardly ever play Silver anymore. Gold is a good mix of challenge and fun, especially if your team is halfway competent. Think I might have to crack out the multiplayer for this weekend's challenge, and I think it's Team Batarian time. Who will join me for a whirlwind of nets, spikes, falcon punches, and foot long javelins?
Oh, we'll play ME3, too.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Two Finger posted:

Honestly dude I hardly ever play Silver anymore. Gold is a good mix of challenge and fun, especially if your team is halfway competent. Think I might have to crack out the multiplayer for this weekend's challenge, and I think it's Team Batarian time. Who will join me for a whirlwind of nets, spikes, falcon punches, and foot long javelins?
Oh, we'll play ME3, too.

Team Batarian would like it to be known that while they look down on other races, they will grudgingly accept an Asari Justicar so that she can turn Team Punchy into Team Invincipunch.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

I know.

but it amuses me when I see stuff like SMG Damage: IV%, this, etc. Hell in my loadout screen sometimes the icons for my powers don't always load. It's very odd, this game.

This game reminds me of nothing so much as one of those old games that is flawed as hell but just so much goddamn fun that you can't keep yourself away. And that's something I think games are missing these days, so points for that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Team Batarian is now practicing on 360, message Two Finger to join

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Team Batarian is still looking for volunteers, anyone who wants to get their punch on get on 360 and message Two Finger or KidKrampus

• Locked thread