Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
My advice to new players is to ignore the Soldier class entirely when starting out. Soldiers are a gun class and due to the unlock system you'll be stuck with poo poo guns for quite a while. Conversely if you get the hang of powers combos you can do fine on gold with Engineer, Adept, and Sentinal with just the basic starting guns. The sooner you stop playing bronze, the sooner you'll get good guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Blade Armor was buffed a few weeks back and I think it's worth taking now. Here's my general purpose Batarian Sentinel build.

• Blade Armor 6: Durability | Shield Recharge | Durability
  • Shockwave 6: Force & Damage | Detonation | Recharge Speed
  • Submission Net 6: Damage | Damage & Slow | Electric Field
  • Batarian Enforcer 4: Damage & Capacity
  • Fitness 4: Durability

With a Piranha X your base cooldown is +195% so the blade armor penalty is actually +0.36s(or +16.2%) to Shockwave and +0.46s(or +18.4%) to Submission net. You also come out ahead in terms of durability vs maxed fitness and no blade armor. You do miss out on the +15% power damage and +10% to weapon damage and ammo in the passive, but I think the extra health and melee damage return is worth it. You can always get extra weapon/power damage from gear and consumables. The 40% damage reduction also means that any cyclonic modulators you use will be extra effective.

This build really shines when you pair with another biotic. Shockwave is simply amazing when you're working with a Fury or Justicar.

If your farming Glacier/Platinum with a biotic team you can also use this more specialized build and alternate between Shockwaves and Piranha shots. This build is totally dependent on teammates for combos so it's a lousy general purpose build.

• Blade Armor 6: Durability | Shield Recharge | Durability
  • Shockwave 6: Force & Damage | Detonation | Recharge Speed
  • Submission Net 0
  • Batarian Enforcer 6: Damage & Capacity | Power Damage | Damage and Ammo
  • Fitness 6: Durability | Shield Recharge | Fitness Expert

This build puts out tremendous damage and unlike ex-Cerberus smashers you're tough as nails which is a great help when objectives come up. You can use a cyclonic modulator if your teammates look iffy and it's practically god mod.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Here is my Geth build. It doesn't have the raw damage output of the boss killer builds but it's versatile and very good at getting pubbies across the finish line on gold.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

Hmm, apparently I have no idea how to play the Slayer. It's 3 powers are just a mish-mesh. I do like telporting around like Nightcrawler and cutting people, complete with invincibility frames. But against any non-mooks I seem to be helpless.

N7 Slayer Guide

The Slayer is an excellent class and when played correctly is extremely effective on gold. All three active powers are great and we're taking them all to 6 and we have a couple of options for speccing the passives.

Biotic Charge: Take the radius, power synergy and barrier options. The slayer is a power heavy class and you won't be relying on your gun for damage.

Phase Disruptor: Take damage, efficient blast and shield damage. This power does not lock on at all; it always fires directly where you are aiming. This means you can snipe with it. It also has an area of effect so if you can shoot it at the floor to avoid misses. You can often hit enemies in cover by shooting the floor behind them. People sometimes compare this power to Nova, but it is not Nova. If you use it like Nova you will die. You have no invincibility frames when using it so do not use it after a charge. You want to use Phase disruptor before you charge to use up your remaining barrier. You want the shield damage option because with it you can kill shielded infantry (centurions, rocket troopers, marauders etc) on gold with two shots and a charge. Armor damage would be nice but this is a crowd control power we'll be relying on Biotic Slash for single target damage.

Biotic Slash: Take damage, detonate, and damage. This is your fallback power for when you can't charge. It goes through walls and obstacles so abuse the hell out of that or the long wind up animation will get you killed. For maximum damage fire off Phase Disruptor during Slash cooldowns and then use your time Slashing behind cover to regenerate your barriers.

Passives: I went 5/3 here and then use Stronghold Package 5 to make up for the missing fitness. You don't need the weight reduction from the passive at all so you could in theory make a cut here for more points in fitness but nearly all of your damage comes from your powers so I don't recommend going beyond a 4/4 split. Only go for 4/4 if you don't have the stronghold package gear.

Weapons: We're going for power damage here so travel light. I'd recommend a Tempest with the stability mod and the AP barrel. It's light as hell does decent damage at close to medium range (for long range just use Phase Disruptor). You'll only really be using your gun to finish off nearly dead enemies after you charge or for shooting on the run. The Tempest works really well for both of these functions because it works well as a bullethose and you won't have time for careful aiming anyways. You should have enough extra weight to pack a Phalanx or some other ultralight equipped pistol but you won't really need it at all.

Playing the Slayer

You want to be mobile as much as possible. When you find a group of enemies hit them twice with your phase disruptor (you'll have some barrier left for protection) then charge to recover your barrier. Use your tempest to finish of any nearly dead enemies and then us your refilled barrier to keep you alive while you run/teleport away and back to cover. You're not a Krogan so you want to avoid taking fire as much as possible. If your getting shot up quickly use your teleport to get to cover and spam Slash while you regenerate shields.

Your teleport will take you farther then a roll would so you can charge Atlases and Brutes fairly safely if you teleport away before they react. Try to avoid charging Phantoms and Banshees though. Whenever you find a group that's too dangerous to charge into or if you need to be stationary for an objective you can fallback on Phase Disruptor and Biotic Slash. Use the Slash to continue your damage output while regenerating your barriers behind cover.

For objectives remember that you can teleport through walls. This can allow you to bypass groups of enemies and quickly complete objectives when your team gets bogged down.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

So if the multiplayer is following the single player chronologically in some way, and the Reapers are increasingly focusing on London, does this mean we're approaching the point where the Citadel is brought to Earth and Shepard fires the Crucible? I'm waiting for the Multiplayer DLC where we get to fight Reaper bosses...

Sigh :allears:

Announcing Operation : Final Operation

Squad goal: Complete a match using a red, blue or green colored character.
Community Goal: Spend 1,000,000,000 collective hours bitching on the internet.

Squad Goal Success: All squad members receive a crushing sense of disappointment.
Community Goal Success: All players awarded an ending that is less terrible three months after the fact.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Just unlocked the Slayer and I'm pretty excited about that. How much does this guy own? What (hopefully unnecessary) gun works well with him?
He owns pretty well. I wrote up a powers based build that I run on gold with a Tempest (any light gun works though).

Lagomorphic posted:

N7 Slayer Guide

Rei_ posted:

I still don't have any of the N7, Cerberus, Vorcha or any Sentinel classes that aren't Batarian unlocked. Most of my new gun unlocks are hovering around level 1, i just get poo poo on all the time in public lobbies. I really wish I had more time to play this game or my schedule overlapped with whenever the hell people are online.

If you're on Xbox feel free to add me (my gamertag is Orthonormal). I mostly play gold or farm platinum (which you can do with a Batarian Sent).

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Felinoid beat me to it but I'll just add that I almost never use the melee attack myself so it's definitely not necessary for the hit and run. This is a playstyle thing I rarely use melee on any of my classes unless I build specifically for it, so if melee works for you use it. I mostly rely on the side dodge to get through walls, it's great when an Atlas is between you and an objective and you just teleport around it.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Vietnamwees posted:

The funny part for me is that I know this isn't Hyperbole, and this is on Platinum.

Here's an interesting thought, do the melee attachments for the Pistol and Assault Rifle work on characters with AoE type melees, like the Geth and Asari Heavy melee? Or would it only work for the quick melee?

They boost all melee, mechanics trump flavor in this case.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Danger posted:

I haven't played since the first dlc. Is drell adept with reave and cluster maxed still fun as hell to play?

Well there's gear now, so you can get up to 5 extra grenades to play with now. So Drell are better than ever. One the other hand there's a lot of new exciting biotic classes to play so Drell are becoming pretty rare.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Pull is good because it's cooldown has a base of 4 seconds and it does everything you need it to do with only 3-4 ranks. Area pull is actually really handy for finishing off marauders and poo poo. It's not bad for finishing phantoms off either since the low cooldown means you can spam until they drop their biotic shield.

Also you can use pull on shielded enemies it does a little bit of damage and staggers them. It can save your rear end when a centurian is shooting you, it also makes killing Nemesis a lot easier when you can keep staggering them.

There is not a single character in the game that is improved by skipping pull.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Schubalts posted:

is done by Reave.

At twice the cooldown.

Also noone is advocating not taking Reave, or is saying that pull is better then Reave. Having pull at 3 or 4 is better than having an extra 10% weapon damage.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

If you want to play gold without farming Geth try Cerberus/Glacier you'll tend to find good pubbie groups speed running it. Stick with the group and you should be fine.

KidKrampus posted:

Can anyone tell me the best way to use the Revenant? I love its rate of fire, but it just doesn't seem to do much for me. I know many people love it, but perhaps I'm just not putting it on the right character or using the right consumables. I tried it on the Turian soldier and the Destroyer with maxed stability and rate of fire.

I like the Revenant but it's not a very good gun. I used to run it on my Turian Sentinel with stability and scope mods and AP ammo. It was great against Geth before they patched out prime headshots. It's still fun for goofing around with a bizarro sniper rifle and you can make it work on gold but it's not great.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Vanguards are OK on gold. The Slayer, Krogan Battlemaster, and Ex-Cerberus all work well on gold. The others are doable as well even if they're not optimal.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Felinoid posted:

Naturally with the provision that you host. Well, the kroguard can maybe get away with off-host, but why take that chance? (Unless there are two vanguards in the group, but half vanguards is kinda eeeeeeeh.)

Agreed, The only time I play Vanguard without hosting is for all Kroguard comedy runs.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Yes pull primes Biotic Combos but only when used on unshielded and unarmored enemies. Also I'm strongly in the pro-pull camp and I wouldn't call it awesome. It's situationally useful enough to be better than 10% weapon damage though.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Sighence posted:

Do you really use pull more than you fire nine bullets?

I'm really honestly curious on that bit. I've never even played Drell Adept and I'm missing a few levels on that class.

a) 9 + 10% of 9 is not equal to 10.
b) In a Bioware game it's not equal to 9.9 either because it's only 10% of your base damage.
c) You get no points for over kill so the relevant question is how often do I use 9ish or more bullets on a single target.
d) Automatic weapons tend to suck especially on casters so the answer is not often.
e) So the real comparison how often is killing a heavy armor unit half a second earlier useful vs how often is pull useful.
f) Pull is really useful a lot of the time. Have you ever tried to kill a nemesis at point blank range with a slow firing weapon? It's hell. Pull to stagger then blammo, ammunition saved.

Mr Dog posted:

Biotic Combos on trash don't do much damage though, since according to this thread a BC's damage is a function of the enemy's maximum health? If it's not trash you usually can't lift it.

This is true but exploding trash does enough to take out other trash. You'll want to use Reave for bosses but pull does the job for trash at half the cooldown.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

You know what it takes to play in London? It takes brass balls to play in London. And a fuckload of medigel.

I finished the event on gold with pubbies.

Paracelsus posted:

Reave works for staggering as well, while giving you damage reduction. When you are using Pull, you're not using Reave, therefore you are doing something wrong.

Reave also has a cooldown that is twice as long as pull's.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Farming Glacier/Platinum is quicker than FBW/G/G and offers twice the payout. It's also simple to do as long as you're willing to use missiles in the objective rounds. If you're comfortable playing gold outside of FBW you're good enough to be farming on Platinum. I did a pubbie game last night where me and another guy with a Piranha X got a very young and panicky player to extraction, it's easy.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

How to Farm Platinum on Firebase Glacier

I've been doing a fair bit of Platinum farming lately and though I'd write up a quick guide. This is intended as a beginners guide so I'm using a very specific team in this guide that is fairly easy to put together, easy to run, and very effective. There are lots of other team combos that can work well though.

The Setup: You’re going to want to set it to Firebase Glacier and Platinum obviously. As for the enemy I would recommend Cerberus. Some people prefer Geth because it delays the arrival of Banshees until after wave 6. I find that Banshees are easy to deal with though and a pair of Primes stagger-locking you will quickly turn the objective waves into a complete clusterfuck. The objectives are the hard part so go with Cerberus.

The Team: To farm platinum you’ll want 2 Ex-Cerberus Adepts/Vanguards (I’m just going to call these Smashers), 1 Asari Justicar and a Batarian Sentinel. The Smasher should spec Smash for with both force & damage options and radius; extra armor damage would be nice but hitting and priming more enemies at longer range is better. The Justicar should have Reave and Bubble at 6. Area Reave is the only crucial evolution but warp bubble is strongly recommended. The Batarian should max blade armor with both durability options (you won’t need the cooldown reduction) and max shockwave with force & damage, detonation and recharge speed. The rest of the build is up to you but if you’re only using the Batarian for farming skip Submission Net; it’s a good power but you won’t need it for farming.

Weapons: Everyone who has a Piranha should be using one. Even at level 1 it is stupid good. For mods run with smart choke and extended barrel and load it with AP ammo and a Rail Amp. If you’re low on AP ammo use warp ammo but switch the extended barrel for a shredder mod if you do. The Batarian and Justicar will be using their guns the most so if you can try to have the people with the highest level Piranhas play those classes. If people are Piranha less it’s not a game breaker just use the highest damage gun you have that keeps you over +170% cooldown.

The Strategy: Everyone runs to the room in the middle of the map. The Batarian should hit the ammo crate on the way since your racial passive lets them carry more than their starting ammo. When the wave starts the Justicar should run out a place the bubble so that it covers the top of the stairs. The Smashers will blindly smash in the direction of the stairs. You can get clues as to the enemy’s actual positions by listing for the sound of successful smashes, looking for targeting reticules to appear on enemies on the stairs, and looking for shadows rendered on the wrong side of the wall (this will happen a lot). The Batarian and Justicar will focus on enemies coming in from the labs. The Batarian should spam shockwave and fire his Piranha during cooldowns. If there is nothing coming from the lab then use the side of the archway as cover and help with the stairs, but remember to keep checking back at the door. The Justicar can use the side of the archway for cover and should keep priming with Reave or Pull. If there is nothing coming from the lab you can pop out to quickly Reave and thing in the stairwell. She should also be recasting her bubble whenever there is a lull so you can avoid it going down at a bad time. If the bubble does go down when it is not safe to recast it she should just set it up in the entrance to the room. The Batarian and Justicar will have the benefit of being able to see into the hallway so talk to your smashers to help them smash better.

The only time anyone should leave the room is to restock ammo between waves or for objectives. If you run out of ammo just use your powers until either the wave is finished or you really need your gun (then pop an ammo pack). You should try to save 2 ammo packs for waves 8 and 9. If the room gets overrun fire a missile. If you get dropped don’t medigel right away it should be easy for a teammate to pick you up. If you have more than one teammate down and enemies at the door you should pop the gel.

No matter what faction you choose you’re going to have to deal with banshees. When they arrive they will get in the room. Don’t panic just keep hitting them with biotics and Piranhas and they’ll go down quickly enough. If they grab someone just keep blasting and they’ll drop them. Even two Banshees in the room is not a missile crisis unless there are other guys coming in as well. If you have pyros actually making it into the room then you’ve been overrun and should missile. Don’t be afraid to use an Ops Survival Pack to avoid being dropped by a warp at a bad time.

Objectives: These usually aren’t that bad and you can solve a lot of problems with missiles. It’s a small map to you can often get retrieval and escorts done quickly before many enemies even spawn. Try to work as a team to get these objectives done as quickly as possible and use missiles if large groups of enemies are blocking your progress. If you get bogged down it will turn into a clusterfuck very quickly. If you get downed use a gel so you don’t slow down the team.

Hacks can be brutal but you can get through them, use cover and coordinate your power usage so that you’re getting combos. If the hack site has enemies when you arrive missile them and start the hack. If you get overrun use a missile.

Assassinations in wave 3 and 6 are straightforward, just hold the room and let them come to you. Keep an eye on the timer though if you get below 30 seconds use a missile. This will usually happen when the first target is an Atlas. In wave 10 holding the room gets a lot tougher and you will likely be overrun unless you missile the targets as soon as you can get a shot without straying from the room.

If you get devices remember that you don’t have an infiltrator so you need to do these as a team. Some of the devices are in locations with good cover or without enemies and will be easy enough to do. If there is a device in an enemy covered area then use a missile to clear it. For tricky devices split into teams. Have two teammates hold off enemies away from the device while one teammate disables it while the fourth teammate stands guard with a missile out just in case enemies show up.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

HoveringCheesecake posted:

lowly Batarian Sentinel

That's actually my preferred class in this setup.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

ainsoph posted:

Was farming Glacier/Cerb/Plat earlier with two destroyers, a demolisher, and me switching between a salarian eng, or a N7 shadow. Full extract 4/5 times. :colbert:

Mind you, the Justicar/Smashdept setup makes it much eaiser. Can also do it with tech burst spam, did it well with a geth eng, shadow, demolisher and something else.

Yeah that's why I say in the first paragraph that there's lots of other setups that work. The main problem with the 2 Demolisher and a Destroyer setup is that it requires 3 people with a fairly new rare classes and is more dependent on having access specific high level rare guns and gear. It's not a big deal if your smasher only has a predator but you really need good guns on the Destroyer.

If you're already ruining Platinum with a demolisher then the guide wasn't for you and you don't need it anyways. It's intended to help anyone relatively new to the game, so they can start getting poo poo unlocked faster.

exquisite tea posted:

The Talon isn't such a bad choice for a Drellguard and has the advantage of giving you 200% cooldowns even at level 1 with ULM equipped. Really though there's no reason why any Vanguard shouldn't be rolling with a Piranha even after the nerfs, unless you're doing Sniper Asari or something. His reasoning for taking Pull over Cluster Grenades is wonky too, but if you look at the video I think he's playing on Silver which might explain a few things.

The Talon is the best gun in the game* and is good on every class. That's why he's stupid for saying that the Geth Shotgun is overpowered and carries classes while using a Talon.

*I'm seriously tempted to write up a long spergy post on this point so I can just start linking to it whenever the Talon gets mentioned.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

All is normal on 360, also the event started 28 hours ago so you should be good.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

No cluster grenades are good, they're just sucky until you get the hang of aiming them.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

TastyLemonDrops posted:

How should I spec the N7 engineer for farming Glacier/Platinum? I did it a few times with my krogan vanguard with pubbies (somehow I managed not to score last despite only having a Crusader and Charge/Barrier). None of the times included a justicar, and every single one included a N7 engineer.

There's really no farming specific spec but this is what I run. Use the grenade capacity gear and your two best guns. Low weight can be helpful but it is not a priority. Use arc grenades for trash and medium tier enemies. For heavy armored units alternate between arc and homing for extra tech burst damage.

nacon posted:

Wow, Platinum just isn't that bad... when everyone has a Piranha. 2x Destroyers, 1x Demolisher, and 1x BatSol is like stupid easy mode. We even made it through a Wave 10 Firebase Giant center hack with the help of a few missiles.

The Piranha is the gun for farming platinum but with the AP mod at 5 a Hurricane makes a drat fine substitute. Which is good since I'm getting low on shotgun amps.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Lagomorphic posted:

N7 Slayer Guide

The Slayer is an excellent class and when played correctly is extremely effective on gold. All three active powers are great and we're taking them all to 6 and we have a couple of options for speccing the passives.

Biotic Charge: Take the radius, power synergy and barrier options. The slayer is a power heavy class and you won't be relying on your gun for damage.

Phase Disruptor: Take damage, efficient blast and shield damage. This power does not lock on at all; it always fires directly where you are aiming. This means you can snipe with it. It also has an area of effect so if you can shoot it at the floor to avoid misses. You can often hit enemies in cover by shooting the floor behind them. People sometimes compare this power to Nova, but it is not Nova. If you use it like Nova you will die. You have no invincibility frames when using it so do not use it after a charge. You want to use Phase disruptor before you charge to use up your remaining barrier. You want the shield damage option because with it you can kill shielded infantry (centurions, rocket troopers, marauders etc) on gold with two shots and a charge. Armor damage would be nice but this is a crowd control power we'll be relying on Biotic Slash for single target damage.

Biotic Slash: Take damage, detonate, and damage. This is your fallback power for when you can't charge. It goes through walls and obstacles so abuse the hell out of that or the long wind up animation will get you killed. For maximum damage fire off Phase Disruptor during Slash cooldowns and then use your time Slashing behind cover to regenerate your barriers.

Passives: I went 5/3 here and then use Stronghold Package 5 to make up for the missing fitness. You don't need the weight reduction from the passive at all so you could in theory make a cut here for more points in fitness but nearly all of your damage comes from your powers so I don't recommend going beyond a 4/4 split. Only go for 4/4 if you don't have the stronghold package gear.

Weapons: We're going for power damage here so travel light. I'd recommend a Tempest with the stability mod and the AP barrel. It's light as hell does decent damage at close to medium range (for long range just use Phase Disruptor). You'll only really be using your gun to finish off nearly dead enemies after you charge or for shooting on the run. The Tempest works really well for both of these functions because it works well as a bullethose and you won't have time for careful aiming anyways. You should have enough extra weight to pack a Phalanx or some other ultralight equipped pistol but you won't really need it at all.

Playing the Slayer

You want to be mobile as much as possible. When you find a group of enemies hit them twice with your phase disruptor (you'll have some barrier left for protection) then charge to recover your barrier. Use your tempest to finish of any nearly dead enemies and then us your refilled barrier to keep you alive while you run/teleport away and back to cover. You're not a Krogan so you want to avoid taking fire as much as possible. If your getting shot up quickly use your teleport to get to cover and spam Slash while you regenerate shields.

Your teleport will take you farther then a roll would so you can charge Atlases and Brutes fairly safely if you teleport away before they react. Try to avoid charging Phantoms and Banshees though. Whenever you find a group that's too dangerous to charge into or if you need to be stationary for an objective you can fallback on Phase Disruptor and Biotic Slash. Use the Slash to continue your damage output while regenerating your barriers behind cover.

For objectives remember that you can teleport through walls. This can allow you to bypass groups of enemies and quickly complete objectives when your team gets bogged down.

This is my nonmelee build for gold.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

So I was going to set up a Cerberus Adept for farming - what should the build be? Clearly, Smash is vital, but how about Lash and Singularity?

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#04ALRIR@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

Use this build, it will leave you with six points left over; you can spend them on singularity if you like the skill or just max your passive if you don't. Either way you're good for platinum farming.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

When a teammate runs off to die alone you really do need to think twice about going to get them on gold. Often you'll just go from being down one player (usually a bad one) to two.

Most wipes happen when a bad player goes down out of cover in a crossfire and refuses to gel. When it happens you need to either clear the area with a missile or just finish the wave without him.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah bad things happen to good players. When I get downed I try to weigh the odds of the team finishing without me. As a general rule I won't use gel one waves 1,2,4, and 5 unless I did something really stupid and feel like I owe the team. I'll break this rule if we're already down a player.

Even if you are going to gel you should wait for enemies to move on or get cleared out. You might also get rescued. Unless it's really bad or you're fighting geth (gently caress pyros) you can usually gel and run like hell; even when you do get downed again if you can at least make it to cover it'll make it much easier for your teammates to get you.

Also yeah I totally agree that if you clear the area before running in you can often turn a two corpse situation into a succesful rescue (unless they're not mashing the button and bleed out before you can get them).

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

HoveringCheesecake posted:

I'm not totally done, but gently caress me if I could care less about the weekend operations anymore.

I'm jumping on for a couple of hours if you change your mind. We could bang out a two man bronze in no time.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I absolutely prefer the regular ol' soldier to the Destroyer. I prefer more mobility and an instant shield-boost to a Krogan knockoff.

Seriously, I'm really not liking the Destroyer, even with my Missile Launcher specced to zero. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or using the wrong gun...

I'm still running my original soldier as well, I like the mobility as well. I enjoy the destroyer as well and it's a stronger class but they play differently enough that nothing is really obsolete.

I've found that Destroyer is a good class for burning off my stock of adrenaline modules; it helps with the mobility quite a bit. It's a good class for goofing around with guns as well. Because you don't care at all about weight you can take whatever goofball gun you want to try out and pack something you know is good as a backup.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't quite get the comparison to a Krogan

I think he just means that they are slow and can't roll.

thefullmetal999 posted:

So I think I just got stupid lucky, I had enough saved up for like 10 PSPs and I got all these characters, asari justicar, krogan soldier, geth engineer, paladin, quarian infil, geth infil, quarian male, n7 shadow, and n7 slayer :shepface: if anyone has any builds they wanna toss out for any thatd be awesome, or if maybe we could put aome popular builds for yhe characters in the OP maybe?

Justicar
Paladin
Quarian Inf sniper build
Geth Inf shotgun build
Shadow
Slayer

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Magic Love Hose posted:

I think if you charge, then cloak, it stays charged and you stay cloaked.

Also when you let go to fire you'll stay cloaked as well. Cloak is broken by pressing down on the fire button not by actually firing. If you reload using the fire button while cloaked it'll break cloak but it won't if you use the reload button instead.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

How important it is to finish singleplayer before starting MP? I'd like to give it a run but I haven't seen a lot of the enemy types I'm reading mentioned in the thread yet so I get the impression I'd be a liability at this point.

Also, is the quality of a weapon in singleplayer generally indicative of how good it is in MP? So far the Mattock and Katana seem outstanding. The Mattock certainly was in ME2 but not the Katana.

The Katana is a decent gun. It's easy to get to level 10 by buying recruit packs. If you play the multiplayer long enough you'll eventually obsolete it though, it was my goto shotgun ffor quite some time when starting out though. The Mattock is actually slightly better in MP and is one of the best assualt rifles in the game. It's an uncommon as well so it's easier to get than the shittier rare guns.

As for enemies I'd say jump in if you want to. Start at bronze and buy recruit packs to level your starter guns and get a feel for MP and the enemies. I actually finished the singleplayer before jumping in and it doesn't really prepare you very well at all. MP is pure combat and it wasn't until I dove into it that I really started to get good at this game. I finished the SP on hardcore as an adept using a locust for my SMG and without knowing that you could start a combo with warp.

Also what platform are you on? You'll get better quicker by playing with goons, so post your tag or id and get on some friends lists.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

1st AD posted:

Before the release of the EC I did a quick playthrough of Insanity with an under-leveled character. I think I must've been around level 10 before hitting Mars, and it took me about 30 minutes to clear the part where the tram stops and Cerberus starts pouring out of the garage ahead of you. The only weapon I had equipped on my Adept was an Eagle I, with no piercing mods :shepface: Guardians were just tearing me to pieces and unlike MP my teammates were absolutely worthless.

You were playing as an adept. One rank of pull would have solved the guardian problem.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

1st AD posted:

Yeah that was my first adjustment, but it still didn't fix the fact that Liara and Kaidan at that level are terrible and will never jump out of the way of a grenade.

Yeah the teammates in singleplayer are pretty silly about grenades and to be fair mars can be pretty goddamn awkward with a nonimport character since you can have pretty major gaps in your skills.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

duffath posted:

Anyone got some good tips on justicar builds? Both powers and weapons not entirely sure of what the best bang for my buck is in gold.

Here's the build.

For biotic sphere you can spec it defensively instead but if you do then keep the warp effect since it'll prime anything wandering into the bubble for a Reave detonation. Also while I strongly recommend taking pull some people hate it and prefer to skip it and max the passive instead. If you do take the headshot bonus at rank 5 because the power bonus is bugged and doesn't actually do anything.

As for weapons you'll need to balance effectiveness with weight. You don't need a +200% weight bonus but you do want to go below +100% so stick to one gun and avoid the really heavy options like the Javelin and you'll be fine. I use a Talon (scope and piercing are a must for mods) on mine; it's fantastic but it's an ultrarare so you may not have it. The Mattock is also great choice and is pretty easy to get. If you have a Piranha it is light enough for the Justicar and at close range it will destroy poo poo at an ungodly rate so you could go with that as well.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

duffath posted:

Almost the same build funnily enough. Thanks for the input though! 2 things I'm unsure about

Is there any worth in 75% vs barriers and armour for rank 6 reave? I feel it's helpful versus hard targets but if I'm missing out on a lot of other stuff then It'd be good to know how much.

The other difference is Pull is at rank 4 versus Rank 5 passive....15% versus an AOE on pull....Is there an issue with that because pull has such a low cool-down couldn't you just spam it as easily and get an extra 15% on power damage?

edit: any info on the acolyte? Seems like great anti shield/barrier support or is it just me? currently running a disciple and an acolyte on this build for a cooldown of 154% Sound okay?

I find that the damage on Reave to be pretty weak. It's main uses are to set up explosions and provide damage resistance. Hard targets are best dealt with by setting up detonations and shooting, which is why I prefer damage resistance over extra damage.

The acolyte has a low base damage and a small area of effect but it does 5x the damage to shields and barriers. 154% is good for weight but the main problem with your build is that you have nothing equipped that's good against armor. If you post a link to your manifest I can make specific recommendations.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

radintorov posted:

Well, two days ago I got the Cerberus Adept and now that I got the hang of him and his biotic whips, the game gives me another Adept character: the N7 Fury.
How should I play her? Run around in the middle of groups of enemies and explode them?

Yeah run in and detonate with Throw when you can. Use Dark Channel/Throw for ranged damage when you can't. For guns try to pack light and for short range; use a smg or shotgun (or Talon if you've got one). Also phantoms are easy to prime with Dark Channel and can be detonated by popping annihilation field.

You want to make sure you always have annihilation field up, I'll pop it and recast it between waves/during lulls to help avoid having it run out at a bad time. Avoid dark colors when setting your appearance or it will be harder to notice when it's down when there's powers flying everywhere.

Tremors posted:

Just pulled a Typhoon I. :toot: How does it compare post nerf to a Harrier II for a Destoyer?

Like they said it's great for killing bosses and kind of lovely for killing infantry. If you're using a Piranha I'd take the Harrier over the Typhoon. If you want to get the most out of the Typhoon then pair it with a gun that's good at killing off mooks. I pair mine with a Talon but a Raptor would do the job as well. The destroyer is a good class for loving around with different guns in general so do some experimenting.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

duffath posted:

I hope I've done that right, but that's my manifest.

Okay with that pool you should try the Geth Plasma Shotgun with the High Caliber Barrel and Spare clip mods. The GPSG ignores the armor reduction entirely so it's equally effective at killing everything at rank 4 it'll put you at +90% which is lower than ideal but totally manageable. With the GPSG you want to hold down the trigger to charge whenever you can. Keep in mind you can still run with a charged shot. If you're in cover charging will cause you to pop out so ideally you want to be by the edge of wall so you can charge and then strafe out to take the shot. The GPSG shoots homing projectiles so use the aim button and then get the reticule to turn red then release the shot. You can hit enemies across the map this way.

You also have a Talon which is the best gun in the game if you run it with the scope and piercing mods, unfortunately you need to level up your piercing mod before it'll be decent against armor. I'm guessing that you're mostly buying the premium spectre packs, I'd strongly suggest that you switch to the regular spectres until you get your uncommon weapon mods all maxed, it'll also help with your supply of medigel and other consumables since you'll be getting nearly twice the consumables for only 20% more.

Mr.Flibble posted:

So is the Acolyte the best gun for a female Quarian Engineer to take out shields with or is there something even better she can use?

Scoped Talon with disruptor ammo if you have it. Every shot will also prime the target for a tech burst with this setup. If you post your manifest I can give a personalized recommendation.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

On PC as GestaltIntellect. If any goons feel like inviting me to bronze games I'd appreciate it.

I'm on 360 so I can't help you there but don't be afraid of the silver. If you're a team player and not a complete idiot nobody will care if you're getting carried a little bit. Nearly everyone I've played with that was reluctant to step up to the next difficulty was already better than half the idiot pubs you encounter in the wild.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Enter Char posted:

Today I got booted from a gold game because apparently I was stealing kills by using tech bursts, coming ahead of two other players, and not dyeing all the time.

It was also my fault one of the players using a vanguard glitched out, because according to him, he hit my combat drone.

Honestly it sounds like they did you a favor.

Felinoid posted:

Most pubs aren't too horrible, too. (Though some of the Silver ones specifically can be kinda braindead.)

Yeah to be fair most gold groups have at most one really awful player. There are some really bad players running gold though (see ^^^) so the bar is pretty low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

VJeff posted:

Oh hey are we posting our own multiplayer manifests in this thread and getting advice based on them now? I totally wanna get in on that. Here's mine.

Switch to the regular Spectre packs. For the price of a PSP and a Veteren pack you can just buy 2 spectre packs. Which will give you more gel/rockets/etc. and lvl 3 consumables. It'll still give you at least 2 rares and you'll get a bunch of extra uncommons. Also in my experience uncommon gear/weapon mods will very rarely drop in veteran packs and are much more frequent in the regular spectres.

duffath posted:

Justicar stuff.

The GPSG and Talon (when scoped) are both great at all ranges. With the GPSG you just need to get the hang of using the homing feature. For the Talon you just use the aim button for snipeing and hip fire for close range. I'd give them both a try.

If you like the Phaeston though and it's working for you and you don't want to change then you need to do two things:

1) Spec your bubble for shield regen, damage reduction, warp effect. With the Phaeston you have to expose yourself for a long time when firing so you'll want the extra protection from the bubble on gold. Keep the warp effect though so you can explode anything that gets into your bubble with reave.

2) Use AP, warp, or cryo ammo until you get you AR piercing mod leveled, it'll help keep your damage from being completely tanked when firing at armor.

Yeah taking pull to 4 only costs you the headshot bonus since the bonus damage doesn't do anything. Also the GPSG can't score headshots so if you do use it you literally lose nothing by going for pull 4 instead of 3.

The thing about the Reave damage is it does 100 damage/second. You can boost this to 175 per second against armor/barriers or to 130 against everything and get 15% extra damage reduction. On gold a Banshee has 10,125 barriers and 16,875 armor. Exploding a reave on a Banshee will deal over 2000 damage to the Banshee and everything near it. You don't use Reave for the damage over time you use it to prime explosions and to give you damage reduction.

You don't want a gun that is good only against shields because any gun that does good damage against armor will also work well against shields.

That DICK! posted:

I'm fairly certain this is inaccurate although I would appreciate someone calling me out of I'm wrong - you don't get medi-gel/missiles instead, you get a level 1 ammo. Still not a raw deal if you can resist playing grenade-heavy classes while you buy a bunch of Jumbo Equipments, but once you start getting level IV ammo every single pack it's less appealing

You get a lvl 1 ammo in place of the guaranteed drop in the JEP but the first slot in a Spectre pack will always be +5 to one on the ones you don't have maxed. If you want to game the system and still be able to use ammo packs and ops packs what you should do is save up credits until you are low on a consumable or you just have a bunch and then buy the JEP's until you have at least one consumable maxed then spend the rest on regular spectre packs. If you do this for a while you'll get to the point where you'll be getting spectre packs with guaranteed +5 gel/rockets.

• Locked thread