Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The missile launcher is a toggle. So if you were hitting the button and it seemed erratic - that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GulMadred posted:

It isn't a click-button-to-fire ability; it's an on/off switch. Activate it, your max shield HP takes a hit, and then things under your crosshair periodically get nailed with mini-missiles. Turn it off, the missiles stop flowing, and your shield tanking capability returns to normal.

Because the targeting and timing are somewhat unpredictable and the damage is unimpressive, many posters would advise you to skip it entirely. The only redeeming feature is a bit of extra stagger against crowds of enemy infantry, but that's usually not necessary/worthwhile outside of all-Husk matches.

I think they also detonate tech bursts, so they have a use if you got an Arc Grenading buddy.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Concussive Shot has a 400% modifier against barriers, but not shields. What the gently caress Bioware? There's so many things wrong with that.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Ballistic Blades still have the lovely hit detection so they are far far worse than the stats claim.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The last operation was also right after the DLC dropped. That always inflates player numbers.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

Boohoo, your Eagle II got you down?

Eagle IV mother fucker.

Eagle VI. loving Bioware.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Psion posted:

Not really. Until it gets updated to ignore gating (everyone go post this on BSN, thanks) the Jav is too much overkill at too slow a firing rate on Bronze (you'd be better off with a Mantis' high ammo reserve or a semiauto like the Viper or Valiant so you can kill more than one dude per year) and moves right on to the opposite and hits up worthlesstown on Gold or Plat because of gating and its incredibly slow ROF/ammo capacity.

It's frustrating, too, because the fix is so simple. Jav = ignores gating. Suddenly you have a genuine reason to use an ultrarare over a regular rare (ie Jav over Widow) and you have a genuine advantage to counteract the slow firing rate, slow charge shot, hideously low ammo reserve, etc, etc.

As it stands on any difficulty level where the Jav's per-shot damage is worth talking about, gating negates it. On any difficulty where the gating doesn't harm it, the Jav is stupid overkill.

Yes it is my highest ranked ultra rare and yes I'm still mad about it why :v:

The Jav is fun on the Quarian Males. The scan reveals enemies through walls, the arc grenade removes shields through walls and the Javelin removes unshielded heads through walls.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I don't believe in equipping 2 weapons.

The switching animation takes forever and the way the engine works it's better to superbuff a single gun with great equipment than it is to half-rear end equipment on two different guns and waste a mod slot on ULM.

If you've got a class that has the original human style dodge, you can dodge-forward and switch weapons instantly. It also looks badass to dodge toward an enemy with a sniper and come up with a shotgun.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Gigantic buff for the Net. 600 base damage actually adds up to something after power bonuses.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Radio Paranoia posted:

I played a couple of games last night and I still need to make my mind up about the Collectors. On the one hand, working out the new enemy movements and patterns in fun, but it also feels like there are a couple of issues with animations matching attacks and hitboxes. Are the seeker swarms immune to powers or something?

I can confirm the seekers are not immune to powers. I specifically warp murdered several.

The Praetorians seem to atleast resistant to powers (detonation immune?) while the shield is up, but vulnerable as usual while on legs.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Especially now that Singularity got nerfed again.

You mean buffed right? They prime regardless of health type now. They pick up new guys without having to pick a specific upgrade for it and the rank 6 detonation is a biotic detonator.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

That's the duration. And with the end-of-singularity detonation being so goddamn awesome, a reduction in duration is a buff more than anything.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I'm loving the Hazard Reactor. It's so much fun to lure Brutes in there and roast them.

And the explosion changes have made the Paladin the king of the crowd control. Snap Freeze through walls, and have anyone follow up with anything at all (Arc Grenade through the wall!) and everything is slowed and hurt a lot. It works on anything. Bosses, Armor, Barrier, Shields, Health.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

They need to unbuff Geth, and tweak down the collectors, but apart from that the difficulty feels just right. Gold got a whole lot easier (apart from the Geth and Collector problems) with the explosion changes and old-ability-buffs, which is good because it's not supposed to be the "ultimate difficulty" anymore. Platinum is still suitably tough.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Elotana posted:

The only really showstopping Sentinel bug is combo explosions being centered on the character. To get the benefit of his power combos you have be in CQC range but he's not especially durable without planting his shield, which is useless for casting. QME can poo poo out even more tech damage from as far as he can throw grenades.

That's why having both is so ludicrously good. If the Arc Grenade from another player triggers the tech explosion it happens where it should, not on the Paladin. So it's just Snap Freeze -> Arc Grenade/Cryo Burst -> Snap Freeze/Tech Burst -> repeat.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Quick, someone fill in the blank for the 'amazing area' team I'm theorizing.

Volus Eng, Justicar, Demolisher, ____ .

Don't listen to the people saying Fury, they're stuck in a pre-explosion world. What you want is a Paladin, because Paladin-Demolisher is hands down the single most broken pair of dudes in the game. Any other two classes are just extras.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 13, 2012

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The New Black posted:

Man, Phasic Rounds are awesome. From the description I wasn't sure what they actually did since it only lists the bonus damage and shield regen delay bit they most do something else because I used them on my Javelin for Geth Gold and I was killing everything except Primes with a single body shot.

e: on reading up, it sounds like they do a massive bonus against shields and barriers so perhaps that allows more damage through the gate or something?

How does the extra shield damage work anyway with shield gating? As I understand it

Say you do 1000 damage per shot and the bad guy has 500/500 with 90% shield gate - you shoot him, and he ends up with 450/0 (1000 - 500 shields = 500 *10% = 50 to health).

What if you have a 400% shield damage modifier? Does that just straight up calc into pure damage?
4000 - 500 shields = 3500 * 10% = 350 to health?!

That can't be right, but Bioware math.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Increased the Cooldown of the Geth Primes turrets and drones. You know what that means? Yeah, he shoots his bullshit stagger shots more.

This is what happens when Bioware nerfs Geth.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The document works, I've just had an awesome goon game. Paladin/QME/Human Engineer means you can wipe a reaper spawn in seconds even when the spawn is nothing but brutes and banshees. The best part is standing infront of a brute to snap freeze and getting a paladin centered fire explosion every cast (keeps those swarmers and husks off you).

Also I can confirm Collectors are bullshit. It's the totally-not-reskinned-husks that are the problem. Why do they blow up like a grenade even when they're not possessed again?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Tremors posted:

They did that in me2.

Doesn't make them any less bullshit or lazy.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Either having the good rares at level X or one of the few ridiculously good ultra rares at any level should be enough. The classes got buffed a lot (and the DLC classes were much better than the original ones anyway), and the recent cryo/fire explosion change is a huge swing in the players favor.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

What? Tech bursts are fine on the Paladin. Incinerate -> Snap Freeze -> Energy Drain.

Having recently played a shitton of Paladin I can clear this up:
It's not just Tech Bursts, it's any explosion triggered (not set up) by Snap Freeze being centered on the Paladin, not the thing you've triggered the explosion on. For example, Snap Freeze -> Energy Drain will cause a cryo explosion centered on whatever enemy you've Drained. If you then follow up with -> Snap Freeze you'll get a Tech burst around your Paladin.

It's easier to see if you Snap Freeze something somebody just hit with incinerate. You'll get a great big, easily visible fire explosion coming out of your Paladin.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

doomfunk posted:

There's a system that ensures perpetual detonations with the Paladin; I'm not sure of it as I don't have the Paladin unlocked, but I think it's along the lines of energy drain->snap freeze->incinerate->etc.

The roation is actually really simple: Snap Freeze -> Energy Drain -> Snap Freeze, will detonate every cooldown starting with the first Drain. Keep in mind that the Snap Bursts will originate from the Paladin not the target. That's why you might think you're not getting tech or fire explosions when detonating with Snap freeze.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 31, 2012

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Harrier is hands down the best gun yeah. Stick to the ammo crates, play the class that can make ammo crates are your only ammo solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's not even a better Avenger, because it's so inaccurate. You'll do more damage landing consistent non-stop headshots with an Avenger that you will shooting with a Revenant and having 60% miss outright.

• Locked thread