Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
Half blast nova actually does make you literally invincible as long as you take care not to get staggered which is highly avoidable. If you're trying to get the most out of human vanguard then you absolutely should take it as it's quite game breaking, although obviously it also makes it quite a shallow class. It looks like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MIzrBSCfF0, note the turret firing full blast and doing 0 damage, no other character has quite that level of invincibility obviously.

These days there are faster and more reliable ways to beat matches without too much effort, but this was a big deal in the demo...

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

highmodulus posted:

The new Co-op TF2 update is outstanding. The differences between Bioware and Valve are pretty big.

I'm not so sure, playing it actually reminded me how good mass effect is compared to most of these coop games. In mann vs machine the game spawns ~50 enemies who walk forward in a swarm and your goal is to output as much damage as possible to kill them before they reach your base. That's pretty much tower defense without the towers and it's quite boring in my opinion as you're essentially constantly firing while backpedaling. Mass effect is a lot more action packed and intricate and the arpg elements like combos richen it quite a bit. Granted ME3 is good because it's an excellent SP game you can play with your friends and not because they did anything special with the coop, but an excellent sp game is a good basis for a coop game.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Tech bursts are easy, all it takes is hitting an overloaded target with almost any ability. Overload + warp will do it, just make sure you have a fast enough cooldown and are close enough for the warp to hit before the effect runs out. Also, if you took the overload chain, only the initial target of the overload gets primed for a tech burst, anyone who gets hit in the chain isn't.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Ruin Completely posted:

This morning someone yelled at me for being a "goddamn sniper". I was completely baffled because he was acting as if I was running around the map using some ridiculous game breaking load out to steal everyone else's kills(Does anyone seriously get mad about something like this? In a loving co op game?). I was the female Quarian infiltrator with a Widow V, and I'm not great at sniping, so I couldn't figure out what his deal was. At one point there was only one enemy left, a nemesis, and when I shot her he said "Oh yeah, nice one you dick." I've only ran into one other full fledged douche since I started playing, so this stuck out as strange to me.

A lot of people prefer to play with teammates who move proactively around the map and contribute to tech and biotic combos.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

Well Geth rockets can be dodged by forward rolling at an angle. They can turn 180 degrees so side/backwards rolling wont dodge all to often. As for banshee warps, I've no clue.

The easiest way to dodge them and rockets is to wait until the last moment to fool the homing, they'll curve into the ground.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

What the actual gently caress is with the fire explosion change? Now instead of a nice skill thing that's challenging to pull off they're just another biotic/tech burst? Why on earth does the game need another instead of something actually unique?

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

EvanSchenck posted:

My assumption would be that they were looking at the data they get beamed in from players, and they noticed that tech bursts and biotic explosions happen all the time and are pretty much a core gameplay mechanic, while cryo and fire explosions happen incredibly rarely. In my own experience, I almost never saw a cryo/fire explosion unless I personally went out of my way to cause it, and the times I did so, the impact wasn't worth the effort. Maybe your experience is different, and you're among the tiny minority of players who was able to use that mechanic effectively on a regular basis, but I would say this was a good move by Bioware and it finally puts the tech and biotic classes on a similar footing.

My experience with it was always that tech bursts were your bread and butter and fire explosions were something you did now and then when the opportunity arose, like against a dense group which often happens at the start of waves. It happens pretty frequently as human engineer since your overload + incinerate tech burst combo also sets up a fire explosion. I guess I missed my chance to record it in mp but this is sort of how I liked to use it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHI-dAs0G1s. The change does in some ways make it more fluid and useful especially against bosses but on the other hand it wasn't bad at all for a skill-intensive mechanic like that to exist.

Elotana posted:

It's like we have the BSN right here in Games! :allears:

Says the guy who makes tier lists.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

So quarian male engineer was already top tier before the patch, now you can incinerate before throwing to get a fire explosion and then incinerate after throwing to get the tech burst on top. I just easily soloed reaper silver in 15 minutes with no consumables and a choke/heavy barrel katana as my only weapon. I bet inferno grenades are also very powerful now that it'll be easy to get a fire explosion off every affected enemy.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Cryo explosions still only happen on fully frozen enemies and only unshielded, unarmored enemies can become fully frozen.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Zoran posted:

That's completely untrue.

I think it's true, havoc strike does set off cryo explosions but not on shielded or armored enemies since they're not fully frozen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AkqiZqqoDI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PixyW8yozJc

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I thought the QFE would be awesome after the combo boost, but I was wrong. The reason: cryo blast doesn't trigger fire bursts and only sets up cryo bursts if it fully freezes the target.

At least one nice thing for QFE and geth engineer is that it's easy to set off a fire explosion using the sentry turrets' flamethrower now. Incinerate can even do it.

They ought to make cryo do a lot more damage since it's now the hardest to pull off and the most similar to old-style explosions.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 10, 2012

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

So what nameplates are people going for first? I definitely want Biotic God, but apparently Pull Mastery requires you to do 50,000 points of damage with it. Hopefully I'm gauging this incorrectly and it won't actually take six years to accomplish.

Is there a list somewhere of what you can get?

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Neat, I guess it's probably BSN-ish but I want machinist since I usually play a tech class and like the arc pistol and quarian classes.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Argh, you can no longer fire the acolyte while sprinting! It was the perfect weapon for fury because of that. I hope they eventually fix the missile launcher glitch instead of gradually removing charge-up from weapons.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I've been on a bit of a marathon since the latest dlc and now I have this:

I guess next I'll be filling out pistol and smg mastery since I like being an me2-style pistol + smg engineer.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The change to fire explosions single-handedly turned the Krogan Soldier from merely "good" to "one of the best classes in the game." It's insane how beastly he is now.

They also turned quarian male engineer from one of the best classes in the game to pretty broken.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

doomfunk posted:

I am curious about this as well.

I have heard (???) that you can get detonations from havoc punching (with the incinerate evolution) a cryo blast target, but I'm not sure about that because I can't seem to get it to work.

You don't need the incinerate evolution, just havoc strike any fully frozen (or on fire or electrified) target.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Frankenstyle posted:

Collectors aren't that bad once you get the hang of it. Scions go down really quick to tech explosions. Barring that, make sure and shoot their humps first and when they pop just drop your aim to their heads. Pratorians were driving me nuts, but I finally discovered that if you focus fire on their legs (maybe just their underbellies, but it seemed like their legs to me) they practically melt. Once you get a feel for killing their bosses quickly, dealing with their mobs is a lot easier.

The weak spot actually is the belly, if you damage it a bit the armor comes off like with brutes and reveals a bunch of husk heads that counts as the head.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

So if they playtest are they going to notice soon that the cerberus harrier on a competent ghost trivializes every 4 player match?

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Frankenstyle posted:

Yep. It was actually pretty well balanced, trading off space magic for better shooty skills. And even so I could score way higher with the old timey Geth engineer and a GPS. All while burning through far less medigel since he can sidestep incoming fire, and using no thermal clip packs.

But the real mystery is why they chose to hamstring the games only gun based non space wizard, when the Krogan Vanguard is now capable of soloing gold if being played by a button mashing Spider Monkey.

In reality they were probably a little dismayed that the guy whose deal is being slow and passive became so popular in a game that is otherwise mostly about abilities. Also any weapon class being nerfed right now is pretty fair since the game is so dominated by extremely overpowered weapons.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, if you're using the harrier on ghost it's pointless to take overload, you'll do far more shooting a few extra bullets than taking the time to overload even at level 6 and the crowd control is worthless since you can just stim.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I tried a few different ghost loadouts when I was working out how to solo platinum and the first way had it was max overload and incendiary ammo doing fire explosions. I thought the fire explosions were remarkably weak comparatively, they do about a fourth or fifth or so of a ravager's armor while it only takes like a third of a clip to kill it with the harrier. They do a lot more on a marauder but marauders go down so near instantly with the harrier that it's hardly noticeable. Overload is barely worth the time you spend doing it on that class, I hardly think it's worth the points you can spend on a lot more health and weapon damage. Overload is definitely a top tier power especially combined with fire but the harrier is so insanely and obscenely overpowered that even the best powers in the game don't come close. I agree tech explosions with your team are more fun but if you're using the harrier on a ghost you're probably not worried about fun.

Although obviously if you have a low level harrier or are miserly with consumables overload will be relatively better since weapons benefit much more from them than powers.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 26, 2012

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

I definitely like having more health on ghost because it gives you more time to react to unexpected hits, and on platinum you recover so little health between waves that it's common to start a wave with 2 or 3 segments which makes dying before you have a chance to use a stimpack likely. It's also common to get staggered which prevents you from being able to use them, and shields can help you survive long enough to recover. It's a little useful as well to be able to go a bit farther on health before needing to consume a stimpack if you're on a grenade-sparse map like reactor or dagger and want to conserve grenade ammo, or if you have a teammate who's also using grenades.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Seriously, this is the correct answer. What could you possibly want from Protheans in the MP that every single other race hasn't already covered? More eyes? A Jamaican accent?

Aesthetics are pretty important, you know. If adding protheans doesn't add value for that reason then we could also remove salarians without losing value since they have the same gameplay as quarians, or krogans since they have the same as batarians.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Elotana posted:

Finally got it unlocked. Nightshade Blades sound lovely from their description because a lot of things have shields, anyone who's played Cabal want to chime in and tell me if I should skip them?

They're grenades and have no cooldown so unless you're fighting teammates for grenade spawns they're a huge boost to your damage output. They're not the highest damage grenade but their cast is pretty fast and the paralyze is an alright bonus since they take down a gold centurion's shields with no problem at all.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Cabal vanguard is really good at teleporting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYpCshYON0o

Not only do you have the teleport dashes of fury and slayer, but your charge does a long range one and your heavy melee does a short range one, while also damaging anyone they come into contact with and without the accidental taking cover of forward dashes.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Can you get tech bursts with flame turret and Siege Pulse?

Yes, but the flamethrower doesn't prime enemies with shields or barriers, only health or armor.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Two Finger posted:

I thought the Reegar struggled with armour?

It's meant to but the base damage is so absurdly high that it doesn't matter. Also mods and ammo types make it even better against armor.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

Does Chain Overload detonate a tech explosion on every enemy it jumps to, if each enemy was primed?

Yeah, it detonates everyone it hits, but only primes the initial target.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

I wish more geth juggernauts would actually use the siege pulse to set off explosions, that seems to be the only worthwhile thing the class actually does other then staying alive, which other people do fine without sacrificing all their speed and damage output.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Elotana posted:

I have not yet played a single round as a Jugg, what do you guys recommend for someone who's normally good enough for Drell and wants something fun?

It's kind of in its own class of boring since it removes fun mechanics, but if you want to play it then definitely max out siege pulse and the passive trees. You'll probably want an engineer on the team but if you equip incendiary ammo and a lighter weaponyou can at least do this kind of thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J52cuwzjp_k. Hex shield and geth turret are pretty much equally bad and hardly worth their cooldowns but the shield restore on the geth turret is probably the most useful part of either.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Alteisen posted:

They do it to stop their projectile attacks from loving you or him up. :rolleyes:

But yea what a stupid fucker, depending on this team? Christ who does that poo poo.

I wasn't going to get hit by those projectiles anyway because I have the amazing ability to use cover and dodge, don't be a hero geth juggernaut.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Demitri Omni posted:

Conc shot is incredibly easy to spam, and Adrenaline Rush with the rank 6 shield evo is basically Stimulant Pack on a cooldown. Default Soldier is loving awesome. BF3 Soldier is basically that with fire damage instead of spamstagger.

Carnage is really good on that kit since you can carnage and then immediately throw a frag for a nice big fire explosion. The downside is that you're bf3 soldier.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Demitri Omni posted:

Frag just isn't worth it, I go all-in with Adrenaline and Conc/Carnage and bring a good gun with a decent cooldown.

Frag is so incredibly worth it. It obliterates groups, you can throw as many as you want no matter the weight of the guns you're carrying which synergizes well with the long-cooldown adrenaline, grenade capacity gear is a no-brainer which gives you 7-9, on most maps you can get two or even three just from touching an ammo box which is a free 3000 damage at least, and as an added bonus it makes you a good detonator. It's not the best grenade but grenades are so good due to the overpowered grenade capacity gear that they're always at least worth it.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

The Slithery D posted:

Yeah, I don't know. After the changes I definitely wasn't hurting Phantoms with concussive arrows when they had their BS shield up, but it seemed like regular arrows without an upgrade applied were hitting. BSN was full of posts about how awesome launching Phantoms with concussive arrow as, so... Maybe it's a matter of someone else activating the shield with a power first.

Like all powers, if the phantom is flipping, staggered or melee attacking when you fire it, they won't be able to put their shield up to block it.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Really dodging isn't very effective as a primary defensive option anyway and you should pretty much only dodge charging brutes & praetorian lasers or when you get surprised by a phantom or grenade (I often don't even like dodging these since you often end up jumping onto the grenade). For the most part it's safer & easier to just strafe behind a wall.

Really, anyone who doesn't use human or drell dodges to stand out in the open weaving between banshee warp bolts and ravager barrages isn't worthy to be an n7 commando.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

I've been playing Human Soldier lately with a Harrier with a Thermal Scope and Drill Ammo, I don't necessarily top score but it's still loads of fun.

....Speaking of which, I don't know who decided the Harrier was a super-special gun, I don't get it.

When it gets to a high level and with decent mods on it's extremely overpowered and obsoletes nearly everything except a small crop of almost-as-overpowered guns. I have mine at just level 5 and it already does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUES6EdK-_U to gold reapers. There's no point to tech or anything else when you can wave the mouse at a cannibal and kill it in a quarter second, it's like playing call of duty and it takes two or even three people using tech, biotics or less powerful weapons to rival that damage output. Also, it doesn't even have the token range, accuracy, charge-up or recoil limitations that other overpowered guns do. Saying it's anything less than a little game breaking is being cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Can someone put a PSA out to pubbies to stop detonating or killing dudes I've primed, please? Thanks. :(

Wait, why do you want people to stop detonating enemies you've primed?

• Locked thread