Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It'd be cool if they could get MP working on a lot of the ME2/ME3 sidequest maps. The designs for those are fairly unique and decently open, if a bit linear, and it'd be fun to do a co-op mission through the hull of the Shadow Broker ship or on that refinery in Zaeed's loyalty mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

That looks like a gun/grenade heavy party, not sure how much your Justicar could've contributed to that group's strategy of holing up in the office.

I mean I guess the bubble specc'd for damage reduction is nice, but those guys were probably relying on pure weapon DPS from Piranhas.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I dunno, I really like London and the only time it's annoying is when you're doing platinum and they stick a hack objective in the middle of the drat map. Otherwise, there's a ton of defensible pockets all over the map and it's big with lots of cover.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Cluster grenades are awesome if you just chuck them into a spawn on a map like Glacier.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Heh, I just had the most interesting Platinum/Glacier/Geth farming run ever - my Cerb Adept, a vanilla Asari Adept, N7 Demolisher, and...N7 Paladin. The Paladin would just plant his shield down at the doorway to the office while I primed everything with Smash and the AA would make explosions and the Demolisher would just chuck grenades like they were going out of style. It was surprisingly effective - we only once got overrun when 2 Banshees teleported through the walls from the stairs and a rocket quickly took care of that.

We would've gotten a full extraction if the idiot AA didn't decide to try to leave the office at the start of the wave.

Oh and the other thing...whoever was playing the Paladin started playing music during the objective waves, including one hell of an epic orchestral track during the extraction wave. But my favorite was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgvxu8QY01s

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

So after about 3 million credits spent on this stupid DLC I finally got the Demolisher, and I don't know what to do with her. Is taking the bonus grenades on her passive a waste of time? I sure do like having 10 grenades with the grenade gear equipped, but it seems like overkill and the class itself is not quite as durable as the Destroyer.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

SirViver posted:

Once you start comfortably dominating Bronze, anything SP throws at you will seem like a bad joke anyway.

Before the release of the EC I did a quick playthrough of Insanity with an under-leveled character. I think I must've been around level 10 before hitting Mars, and it took me about 30 minutes to clear the part where the tram stops and Cerberus starts pouring out of the garage ahead of you. The only weapon I had equipped on my Adept was an Eagle I, with no piercing mods :shepface: Guardians were just tearing me to pieces and unlike MP my teammates were absolutely worthless.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah that was my first adjustment, but it still didn't fix the fact that Liara and Kaidan at that level are terrible and will never jump out of the way of a grenade.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

They updated the Operation stats about halfway through the weekend:
Bronze - 66,611= 33%
Silver - 48,281 = 27%
Gold - 17,466 = 30%

I assume we didn't make up for it and it was a failure.

Eh the rewards are pretty lovely. This was the first weekend in a while that I could even play the game for more than 20 minutes and I decided to farm Platinum instead of waste my time on extractions that MIGHT get me a Hurricane III when it's all said and done (and will probably end up netting me an Eagle IV for my trouble)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Krogan and Vorcha will have a much better time on Cerberus/Glacier anyways, since you can run around and decimate entire spawns pretty quickly.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

Eagle VI. loving Bioware.

Hurricane II :smug:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

I still think the Valiant is mostly just a trash-killer and that just isn't all that useful from Gold upwards. Below Gold who cares, there's about five other ways to be an unstoppable murder train on Silver that don't involve getting lucky with the Commendation lottery. It's still by far the best sniper rifle, don't get me wrong, but after the infiltrator nerf sniper rifles just aren't a top-tier weapon class anymore (which is a pity, because I hate to be all :goonsay: but sniping effectively requires a decent amount of skill, which should be rewarded accordingly, as opposed to just pointing a Piranha in vaguely the right direction and mashing the trigger like a retard)

Killing trash is important because it frees up other guys to concentrate on the Atlases and Brutes and whatnot without being overrun.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Reacean posted:

Follow up question then (I'm still not convinced, but the bit about bonus to shields and barriers betters my opinion): I'd been using it on my demolisher just messing around, but I think it doesn't fit the niche that class needs as a second gun. My primary is a Saber I, and I'd been using a Pirahna I as my secondary but somehow it feels off. Given that weight and ammo are not an issue, and I use Arc Grenades for Shields/Barriers, what would be a good second gun?

I prefer running with a Piranha and a Valiant - the Valiant fires and reloads so much faster than a Saber even if the single shot is not as powerful.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'd rather do Plat/Cerb/Glacier. Missiles are a lot more valuable since the map is so small.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

zxqv8 posted:

Are you on PC? Would like you to do some? Are you actually on my friends list but I never put your SA name with your origin name?

e: I got a good PSP.

I am, my Origin name is x1stad

Unfortunately I won't be on tonight, but I'm hoping to get some play time in tomorrow.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I usually run my Fury with a Piranha - I don't often use Dark Channel and Throw has such a fast cooldown time that I don't mind being at 110% cooldown, and the firepower helps a lot if you rush into a mob that you can't explode quickly enough.

Of course, that gun has been nerfed a lot since Earth was released :sigh:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Man, Bronze isn't even fun anymore since I can mow through poo poo with a level 1 anything and big guns.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

gently caress the RNG, I just spent 500k credits on PSP's and even disabled the first 2 DLC's and I still can't get a Paladin or a Pistol ULM

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Elotana posted:

Don't be in cover in the first place. Just ABC to restore the shield gate. Here's a FRAPS I cut demonstrating how you can stagger-tank Cerberus, on that Giant hack where Phantoms spawn literally figuratively up your rear end. (FRAPS also captured my shoutcast station :slick:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XexjmLnZUI

The Eagle is basically just for show.

That's all well and good but if I tried that I'd desync really fast.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 26, 2012

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The shield drain doesn't matter so much since you can charge and refill them again. You can get a nice rhythm going by shooting your handcannon and then charging and heavy melee-ing to finish enemies.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The Piranha Slayer is good for a smaller map like Glacier, but on something like Ghost or Hydra I'd be running with fast cooldowns and firing the Phase Disruptor from a distance before charging in.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

VJeff posted:

Is the Vanguard issue any better on the PC?

Nope. Always Be Hosting.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

London Platinum isn't too bad, but the hack objectives in the middle of the map are the worst and ruin the experience.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

gently caress, I accidentally specced my Krogard Charge for damage instead of radius, and now I can't get a drat respec card. Should I just promote him or keep burning credits on veteran packs?

edit: ^^^^wait, the Fury's heavy melee is a biotic attack? :psyduck: Can it detonate?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Just do Glacier/Geth/Bronze with a Kroguard. It's trivially easy.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

gently caress this game. I was playing a Geth/Giant/Gold match with my Kroguard and it was down to a single Geth Prime; the rest of the group wiped and I was out of gel. There was like one sliver of armor left on the thing and my shields went down - so I charged. Well, I pressed the charge button anyways, and nothing happened. And I pressed it again and again. Nothing. Then I died.

I was hosting the drat game too!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

This implies that they ever could. Not only have the Mass Effect games all been crash/bug-prone, even KOTOR had glitches and crashes all over the place. And all of these were on console versions, where there's really no excuse.

ahaha that reminds me of that stupid bug where if Mission is stealthed and enters a certain cutscene, some NPC will not notice her and it will not trigger her dialogue and the game just freezes in place.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Hurricane 4 :toot:

For some reason I have this weird psychological satisfaction from using a Harrier, despite my brain telling me that the Hurricane is actually a much better gun. Am I wrong here, or is the Hurricane indeed a crazy good gun that feels and sounds underwhelming?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Forget enemy control, make bigger maps with some vehicles in it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Vietnamwees posted:

Joined a Platinum lobby earlier, and then a level 1, literally a level 1, meaning that they JUST started playing, joined too. Really, new guy? You don't want to test the waters with Bronze first? You just jump right in to the hardest difficulty of the game?

Some people are just ballsy as gently caress when they have no idea whats going on, man.

One time I put the filter to Bronze and for some reason it dropped me into a Gold game in progress. A real one, not a farming one. I had a level 1 Kroguard.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

They should really give a huge credit bonus for doing random games instead of trying (badly) to stop farming.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

So I stop playing for a month and what the... :stare:

I reeeeeally wanted a Volus, but getting both Turians ain't too bad. The stimulant pack seems almost unfair - with a duration-specced cloak and taking the +5 grenades bonus, I can pretty much walk through Gold with a Turian Ghost without having to use any consumables (adrenaline mods help a ton though). Currently I'm running with a Hurricane and a Valiant.

Welp, here's my manifest - http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=x1stad&platform=pc - can somebody tell me 1)A good build for the Havoc that lets me be dumb and still kill things? and 2)should I respect my Ghost at all?

I've only played a couple maps tonight - the new "hazard" Dagger (were there environmental dangers? I didn't run into any), and then Glacier. I have to say, the farmproofed Glacier is a loving fun map when doing Cerberus Gold. Even though getting surrounded by clusters of Dragoons (gently caress those guys) and Phantoms is annoying, I can usually solo pairs of any enemy (sometimes Phantoms if I'm in the right rhythm).

The Collectors are kind of lovely. I think they're easier to deal with than the Reapers except on objective waves, where the CPU magically spawns a pair of Scions on BRONZE at positions that can really pin you down while dropping possessed Praetorians on you.

I also like the changes to the multiplayer menus and the manifest itself - I really hope Bioware has decided to concentrate on making this game awesome, because all these changes have made everything a lot more fun.

So did I miss anything else?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Okay so I just tried out Turian Havoc. I don't know if I really like this guy better than the Ghost, but if you ever want to unwind just play Bronze. On an objective wave I did a Vanguard Charge Havoc Strike into a spawn of 2 Ravagers, a Banshee, and a Brute + some trash, and I basically killed the whole spawn with Havoc Strike + heavy melee + another Havoc Strike.

Now if I can only get the drat Volus Engineer so I can set off nukes.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

surrender posted:

Even though FBW Geth is arguably tougher now, I still think it's a bit easier than Reapers or Collectors. You just have to stay more mobile due to the Bombers.

Androc posted:

I swear to god, I am completely DONE with gold until they tone things back down a bit. Game after game after game of people wiping before finishing the second objective. The final straw was randoming with an n7 shadow into loving fire base white geth gold (have geth hunters always been able to see through stealth or is that new?) and watching the last surviving teammate get dry-humped against a wall by pyro and hunter perma-stagger with about three seconds left on the capture clock.

Just, jesus. And my mic still doesn't work.

I dunno, I just did a Gold/Collectors/White game and while it was challenging, we got through pretty well. Team consisted of 2 Ghosts, a Volus engi, and a Turian Sentinel. The Volus died a bunch and after wave 5 we all kind of stopped reviving him, but once in a while he'd come through with a well-placed nuke.

I really like the changes they made to FBW - what used to be a ho-hum farming map is now a fun as poo poo combat map, and for me at least it replaces Glacier as a fun blow poo poo up map. Especially with a Ghost. There's lots of room to run and ton of choke points and corners you can exploit. I was pretty much abusing corners and blasting Scions and Praetorians with the Reegar, and whenever I got in way over my head (like pairs of Scions and Praetorians AND Captains surrounding me in the downstairs office, I could just pop a stim pack, jump 20 feet back, then run around and reset.

There were points where I was just tag teaming the Collectors with the other Ghost while everyone else had gotten sync killed - it was pretty awesome.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Why do people try to play FBW like it hasn't changed at all? I don't think the office is a good position to try to hold down - you can get flanked on 3 sides and most of the routes out don't provide you with any decent cover. ESPECIALLY now that there's units like Geth Bombers or Scions that can ruin your poo poo very quickly in an enclosed space.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

PC randoms are pretty bad at Gold Collectors.

On PC I tend to find myself in way too many Gold/Collectors/White lobbies. And people are always trying to hold down the downstairs office as if that was somehow a secure location to hold.

When I play through the new FBW I'm always running around kind of like it's a bigger Glacier, I have no idea why people try to hold a 1000 square foot office that has 3 entrances.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

ugh gently caress Bioware. I did a Gold/Collectors/Reactor where

1)My Kroguard couldn't take cover at all
2)Charge would maybe possibly work unless you looked at it wrong
3)The reactor wouldn't do it's purge cycle

So basically I died a shitload and felt like a total drag on the team (still got 2nd highest score before we all wiped on wave 9).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The Slithery D posted:

There's always the deinstall every DLC but one trick so that you can concentrate your packs on a limited pool of available stuff. I'm tempted to do this with Earth so that I can hopefully get more Piranha updates (still at I) and the three N7 classes I'm missing.

Does this actually work anymore? I tried this with the last big patch/DLC drop, and the store glitched on me while buying about a million credits worth of stuff. I reinstalled the DLC and then the store gave me every PSP I bought, which included cards from almost all the DLCs.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

How do I play a Krogan Shaman? I want to be able to warp > shockwave, but the cooldowns are way too slow even without barrier up. The most success I've had so far has been to just run up to spawns of weaker enemies, detonate barrier, then shockwave or use a gun. I just feel like his powers just don't have a ton of synergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Meh, got a Wraith. Is this useful for anything?

• Locked thread