Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Ruin Completely posted:

I finally unlocked the Vorcha sentinal, but feel dumb 'cause I dye a lot despite how it's supposed to be goddamn invincible(I even took all the regen bonuses). I was using a Piranha, but I don't actually love it as much as everyone else. Every extra inch further you are away from a target, it's usefulness is cut way down; it might help if I had it past level 1 I guess.

You do have the smart choke on it right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Mr.Flibble posted:

So is the Acolyte the best gun for a female Quarian Engineer to take out shields with or is there something even better she can use?

Disruptor ammo with a gun that has a high chance of effect, since I believe tech bursts do extra damage (I believe 2x) against shields and also scale with enemy health I think, unless that's BE I'm thinking of. See: The only guy I trust with ME3 multiplayer build videos

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 14, 2012

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Paracelsus posted:

I had a bad string of buying VPs and just getting consumables because my UC characters are all maxed out and the RNG loves characters a lot more than mods or gear. I buy PSPs because I know I'll still at least get something other than consumables out of the rares, and I think it's more efficient in the long run, since once you're done filling out your UC slots with VPs you still need to buy just as many PSPs to fill out your rares and URs as you would if you'd started buying them in the first place.

For roughly the price of 3 PSPs you can get 5 spectre packs (297k vs 300k), by saving 3k credits you get: 6 rares instead of 5, and 9 trash drops instead of 20. Buying SPs is economical if you don't really care about rares and are in need of gear, consumables, etc. but still want to unlock gold/black shits.

e: clarity

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 14, 2012

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Ugh when did pubbies start camping the middle room on Glacier on Gold? Platinum I understand but it takes zero skill to run around the map on Gold of all things.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Lagomorphic posted:

Barrage is a fantastic gear and it goes really well with a scoped Talon (the best gun in the game).

When it says "stability" w/r/t the Talon is that spread, recoil, in increase in spread after firing, or something else?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Lagomorphic posted:

Stability reduces recoil. The only two weaknesses of a scoped Talon is that the recoil is really bad when you use the scope out of cover and it's spare ammo is pretty light. It's not as bad as the harrier but you'll need to be hitting ammo boxes frequently. The barrage helps a lot with both of these issues. I got Barrage V and went from Typhoon 0 to 3 in the same week and honestly I was more excited about the barrage. But again I have a Talon V and think it's the best gun in the game.

Gotcha, I missed where you said scoped talon and wasn't sure how it would help. I run a talon on most of my casters but I'm not really a fan of the scope on it.

Also Eagle III :qq:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Infinite Karma posted:

Grenades don't count towards tech kill medals, so are you sure? I know that I do plenty of tech bursts, but I'm not sure if any gear is boosting that damage.

I believe grenades count as powers but do not count as tech damage. Really though if you are taking any gear but the grenade capacity you are crazy.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Reacean posted:

Follow up question then (I'm still not convinced, but the bit about bonus to shields and barriers betters my opinion): I'd been using it on my demolisher just messing around, but I think it doesn't fit the niche that class needs as a second gun. My primary is a Saber I, and I'd been using a Pirahna I as my secondary but somehow it feels off. Given that weight and ammo are not an issue, and I use Arc Grenades for Shields/Barriers, what would be a good second gun?

I run a harrier II and a piranha X. There is no better character for the harrier IMO because its only weakness, ammo, is totally negated. but yeah piranha is definitely my go-to secondary.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Because there's virtually no time when I wouldn't want to run faster, especially on a class that benefits so much from being able to reposition quickly, and because you need the points in durability to survive a lot of the poo poo you have to take to use your powers effectively. I haven't respecced the class but that's because I feel pretty satisfied with my point distribution, my only issue is really just learning how to use it right/getting a good weapon and gear setup for it.

This still gives you a decent damage increase while maintaining the durability you need to explode some heads.

This is the build I use and with a Talon it's stupidly effective on Gold.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Also I think projectile weapons aren't effected by the shield gate, i.e. the Kishock, iirc.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

exquisite tea posted:

It's common knowledge that the Particle Rifle sucks, right? Can I do anything fun with it?

Particle rifle isn't that bad. It's actually pretty good with a Destroyer. Throw on a piercing mod and magazine upgrade, it puts out some decent damage once it ramps up.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Burning Mustache posted:

Anything is good on a Destroyer, and the Particle Rifle is still worse than pretty much any other AR I could think of. A Phaeston, heck even an Avenger probably performs better than a Particle Rifle with that class (or any other class, really). And that's not even talking the good ARs like Harrier, Saber or Typhoon.

I mean, yes, you can eventually kill poo poo with it (especially if you slap consumables on it), but the point is that you can do so much faster and much more efficiently with pretty much any other AR (especially if you slap consumables on them).

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, the Vindicator could possibly be slightly worse than the Particle Rifle still.

There are better ARs than the particle rifle but I would take it over a lot of them unless I had another reason (lightweight for caster classes, etc). Suggesting that an avenger is better is absurd. I would rather have a PR on the destroyer than a harrier or a saber, and probably a typhoon post-nerf. It legitimately has good sustained DPS (e: according the wiki, the highest DPS of any AR once it has ramped up) without the need to run to an ammo box basically ever unless you need grenades. It may not be the best at everything but it is certainly competitive. Also, I am pretty sure DOTs from ammo powers, particularly incendiary ammo, stacks, so it's high ROF and proccing will do a ton of damage in the same way the Reegar + incendiary does that normal ARs can't achieve

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Felinoid posted:

Actually, that brings up a question. If you close-to-deplete (not totally deplete since I know that requires a reload animation) the Particle Rifle and then switch to another weapon for a while, when you switch back will it have replenished its stock like normal, or will it be sitting on the ammo count it had when you switched weapons?

It appears to refill at the same rate whether you have it out or not, assuming you don't deplete it

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 21, 2012

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

I have no complaints about any of these. These are all good balance changes. Maybe Bioware are finally understanding their own game?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

TheDK posted:

Would anyone be willing to take a look at my manifest and give me a "best available" analysis for what I've unlocked at this point? I've got a few classes/weapons that I believe I understand how to play but I haven't found a combo that gives me a good feeling for something I could run with over and over for mass credits. I understand certain classes/weapons would be best against certain types of enemies or in certain maps, but sometimes I'm just bouncing between characters hoping that something clicks.

If you want to go totally cheese you have the geth infiltrator who is viable all the way up to platinum. This is how I play him. I usually carry both a harrier and a piranha which you have both of, as long as you cloak and instantly fire your proxy mine your cooldown will be super short. This is seriously easy mode.

Piranha post-nerf is still very powerful, just put a smart choke on it. Krogan Battlemaster is also really strong on gold and above because he can tank like a motherfucker, ignore carnage, go full durability because rage is bugged. I like the Reegar on him, but you may want to stay long-range until you get more comfortable. I also like the piranha on the paladin specced out of incinerate. Snap freeze is a great debuff. Basic human sentinel and engineer are also still good characters. I recommend buying veteran packs until you get the rest of your uncommon characters/weapons because turian sentinel and salarian engineer are both very good characters that are easy to get.

e: that is based on PC manifest

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

That DICK! posted:

Y'guys. Y'know. It's just like. Sometimes, I feel like, nobody listens to me :qq:

Honestly I never melee on the battlemaster because I am too busy Reegaring everything. Reegar > melee, reegar + incendiary ammo > everything.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I just this morning respecced my guy out of full melee and into full durability so I know where you're coming from. I'm just saying there are advantages to 1850 base health and shields. Advantages like being completely unkillable.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

waah posted:

Is there like a preferred load out? Or is there something blatant I am missing to make me a bit more deadly?

I usually carry a Piranha, but I like being up in everything's face. Very important to remember that ED + snap freeze = tech bursts for days.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

waah posted:

Is there a time limit on it? Does it only tech burst if the target is out of shields?

You know I went looking around for info on this and learned that snap freeze tech bursts are bugged and they apparently center on your character instead of the enemy. Anyone confirm that? If that's the case then apparently spamming ED and SF will kill poo poo quickly even without the tech burst so I guess just keep doing that

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

exquisite tea posted:

Battlemasters have always been awesome. It's not too much of a step up in difficulty to take your Kroguard into Gold. If it helps, you can start out with a more defensive spec and then transition into melee as you get more comfortable. The only things that can really kill you are OHK bosses, which are avoidable by learning their attack patterns, and the Vanguard bug, which is avoidable by hosting. Geth is pretty much a guaranteed win.

OHK bosses are easily avoidable by standing on ramps so I'm going to go ahead and say you're invincible as long as you're not really stupid about it.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

LogicNinja posted:

Phase Disruptor has seemed kinda weak to me when I tried it (granted, that was on gold), and he's super fragile--how do I play this guy? Should I still be maxing Biotic Slash post-nerf? should I bother speccing for melee and relying on teleport sword slashes?

I play it without biotic slash. I find it slow and clunky and my Slayer playstyle is very fast paced. This is my build. I typically carry a Talon. You may also want to go weapon weight in the last of the Slayer passive. PD is basically a ranged nova and specced for shield damage will tear through most enemies. Phase disruptor does splash damage and should be fired at floors and walls and can get enemies behind cover when aimed right. It's not a boss killer, it will do good damage but your job should be taking down infantry. PD first, charge to refill it and stagger enemies, shoot your gun when you can't do either. Once you get a feel for it there's a rhythm but it's situational.

I'm sure other people will come by with a biotic slash build but I really hate it so I'll leave it to them.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
What time does the operation go live?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I pretty much always do gold because silver and bronze are boring as hell. I did some platinum farming for credits but as I don't really need the credits anymore I don't see the point, platinum is always farmers (boring), and even if I found randoms willing to play U/U/P I doubt most randoms on the 360 would be good enough. I did do a few silver games today to level up my promoted characters, but that only lasts a handful of games before it's gold time again.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Finally unlocked my last UR, the Indra. And it rocks rear end on a GI. God that's a satisfying gun to use, it feels almost like the harrier of the sniper rifle world.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

VJeff posted:

Hm, tried a match as the Destroyer and something occurred to me - is reload canceling not a viable option for him on the Xbox? Disengaging Devastator Mode to reload cancel when it has a really long cooldown due to your weaponry strikes me as a bad idea.

Unless there's a way to reload cancel on the Xbox besides hitting Y that I'm unaware of.

If you're out of cover and not near cover you can tap A, since he won't roll it will reload cancel. If you're in cover you can tap B for the same effect, unless you're close to an edge, then he will pop out and do a stupid melee. It doesn't take too long to get the hang of it though, you can reload cancel like a pro either way.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Medigel is down on the D-pad and isn't reliable enough to reload cancel, at least not for me, especially not with the Xbox's lovely D-pad. The devastator isn't bad though, like the other non-dodging classes it's probably the easiest to reload cancel on the 360. The game controls like complete garbage on the console though really and I completely regret not getting it on the PC. If there's another ME multiplayer I won't make that mistake again... but I digress

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Wait, the tac cloak damage bonus applies to powers too? I thought it was only weapons. That might explain a lot.

Yes, but for proxy mine the more important part is the damage taken evolution.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Yeah I meant the slayer, whoops.

Now I'm just being a dick, but the Slayer rules too

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The Phase Disruptor is loving terrible, probably one of the worst abilities in the game,

Yup, there's your problem

(Phase Disruptor is awesome)

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

LogicNinja posted:

I seem to have a hard time hitting things with Phase Disruptor some of the time. Should I have taken the AoE evolution instead of +30% damage?

Also yeah, I've been getting murdered after charge reaches the target but before it resolves/shields refill a lot. poo poo sucks. I can top-score Silver, but don't do well on Gold. A lot of the time, something comes up from the side/behind and shoots me twice, killing me because I just used Phase Disruptor twice.

I went damage simply because the splash damage is usually enough. You should be aiming toward floors and walls nearby, even though I think it is hitscan it will not lock onto enemies. Situational awareness is important but not important as Always Be Hosting.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I've just gone three rounds without my consumables being consumed... this happen to anyone before?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

LogicNinja posted:

There's a gap between 2 PD shots and when Charge cools down. I was carrying a Piranha; I guess -170% cooldown isn't enough?

Carnifex it is, I guess. Would an Acolyte be worthwhile for stripping Atlas shields &etc?

If you've got gap time between PD and Charge, then shoot after your charge and before your PD, you want to keep your shields up as much as you can.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Finally got the Valiant - means I have every weapon unlocked now. Anything special I should know about it, does it have any inherent piercing like the BW?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Exodee posted:

Out of curiosity, are you playing on a Console or on the PC? As I have no problem flicking my mouse around, turning 180 degrees within a split second if I have to to acquire new targets. (I have no idea why I keep capitalizing random words :v:)

Console aiming is unbelievably slow. I don't understand why this still happens in games, I think CoD is the only game that allows you to turn your sensitivity up to anything approaching reasonable. As it is, turning around 180 degrees on the Xbox is like pulling a U-turn in a battleship.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
A bioware guy on BSN made it sound like they all had a Lv IV consumable in them.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Felinoid posted:

Getting recruit packs until those are maxed is a good idea, because it's really cheap and quick, but holding to veteran packs until all the uncommons are maxed is a recipe for getting bored and quitting. You'll want to do it as much as you can, but you gotta mix it up to keep the rewards fresh.

I went back to spamming veteran packs after getting a few rares to X because some guy on BSN made fun of my manifest :( To that effect it took about two days to get all my uncommons maxed. It's not too hard but it's worth it

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Houdini posted:

Yeah, I'm amazed at how straightforward insanity difficulty is. I'm playing as a Vanguard and a Stasis, Charge, Nova combo will kill a Phantom.

The Blood Pack SMG rules. Even moreso with rank 6 Incendiary ammo. :v:

Playing a Novaguard on insanity is like soloing bronze. It's not even fun at that point.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

VJeff posted:

Wait, how do you get an SP weapon up to X? I thought you could only upgrade SP weapons to V.

You can get them up to X if you do a New Game+.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

LogicNinja posted:

So does +Tech Damage gear boost Shadow Strike, or only +Power Damage (like Mental Focuser)?

Neither, it counts as a melee attack. Use hydraulic joints and strength enhancers. Spec tac cloak for melee damage. Use omni-blade, shotgun bayonet, pistol stunner, etc and take the top row of sword mastery, all will boost shadow strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Trykt posted:

They do, you can see right on the powers screen that its damage goes up when you take the passives that boost power damage. Maxing shadow strike damage means taking all your melee junk (except the last evolution of the "fitness" tree) AND maxing your power damage.

I did not know that. I've had my Shadow specced 6/6/6/0/6 for that reason. Although I see in narida now that the power bonuses barely effect SS or ES's damage, only 20pts more than a power amp III. Also according to Narida, tech damage bonuses do not effect shadow strike, but there's no way for me to know if that's accurate to the game code.

Blompkin posted:

I haven't had much luck with gold. From my limited experience, it mainly involves staying behind cover, letting the enemy come to you, and running if the enemy gets close.

The three most important things about gold are: 1) Line of sight is everything, 2) Cover doesn't necessarily mean using the cover mechanic, and 3) Right hand advantage. Everything else is just not getting overwhelmed and prioritizing threats.

• Locked thread