Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Ah, its honestly pretty neat. Do you mind posting how much you pair for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
About 900 total with liftgate delivery to my house. They take a fair amount of wrenching to get into a reliable state and I've had lots of little issues, but nothing that I wasn't able to fix. The components are pretty solid but assembly is crap. For example, they ship without grease on the brake pads, or on the steering bearings. The battery was DOA. Fuel sender failed after two fillups, turn signal bulb died at 200 miles, tons and tons of bolts shipped loose etc.

In the end though, all of those issues have cost me probably 40 bucks so far so it's really not that big of a deal, and it's been a fun change of pace to wrench on. I'm probably in for $1250 right now including tires. That's about $2500 cheaper than an equivalent Honda Ruckus, and the Ruckus ships with garbage front suspension, front drum brakes, and 2" smaller wheels.

It's so fun parts shopping for these things though. Intake? 20 bucks. Stainless exhaust? hundred bucks. New 150cc engine? 250 smackers (really want to do this but I need to practice my fabrication skills a bit first as the motors mount differently).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Finished my first welding project last night:

It's basically a square frame with beveled hardwood plywood. This project took me a long time and cost way too much, but it was fun to do and I look forward to building more furniture.

Stole cable last night, hence the coax coming through the window. I've got a guy on the inside at the cable company but I had to find a line without filters on it for the box to work. Discovered the garage has an unfiltered line. Yay.

Here's the money shot:

112" painted screen.

And here's welding project #2, exercise bike seats for a local planet fatness:

A little sloppy but there's solid fusion and that's all that matters. I need to get my skills in order so I can weld in the rear E36 subframe plates.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I want that HTPC case. Nice job on the table and the screen. Have you had the components stacked like that for awhile? Just wondering if the amp or PC get too warm.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yes and no, it's been like that for a while, but they all do get a little hot. I'll probably make up some wood spacers to sit above the amp just to be on the safe side.

HTPC enclosure is a Antec Fusion Remote Max. The case itself is pretty nice but I don't love it. The screen on it is utter poo poo to the point where I no longer even bother configuring it. It's just too washed out to read from any angle, ever. It's been like that since new. IIRC they did some bait and switch with VFDs on it or something. I was pretty annoyed when it was new but I quit caring.

In car news the 4Runner just got towed home. All the warning lights on the dash are on. Fun stuff.

EDIT: 4Runner fixed. It was in 4H, I'm hoping that was the tow driver loving around rather than the wife driving all over town in 4wd. I think the VSC/ABS lights were just from the cold weather, and the 7500 mile maintenance light just happened to have come on at the same time. I have a sneaking suspicion her gas cap is on its way out as well, tightened it up and I'll keep an eye on it.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 2, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just drove the E36 a couple hundred miles. Got off the interstate halfway through the trip and as I took off from the green light I started getting a grinding noise. It's similar to the pad on rotor sound you hear if you spin a wheel around but louder, and it's intermittent. Doesn't sound like a wheel bearing but it is speed dependent, and appears to come from the passenger side of the car. Haven't pulled the wheels off yet, but I'm hoping it's just debris caught somewhere. I'll tear into it later this week.

Also took the 4Runner out in this 8 inches of snow we got, my first time trying out a truck in heavy snow. Started out in 2WD but very quickly engaged 4H and that was much better. Definitely capable, but it's very obvious that tires are what matters. Once you're moving it's absolutely no different than any other car on all-seasons. Still though, it is nice to be able to actually take off from stops.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
We're having the usual once a year snow panic in North metro ATL right now. I'm finding that even though I have obscene amounts of tire out back on the touring, Ventus V12s might not be the best winter tire. Car is fine. Several close calls later. I'm one of those people that y'all up north curse for not being able to drive in snow/cold weather because, I'll admit, I loving suck at it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Took the car out with a friend and had him listen to the noise. He thinks its coming from the left and I think it's coming from the right. Which means it's probably the driveshaft center support bearing. I priced out a CSB and guibo because mine is starting to show threads. It's a hundred bucks so I'll probably shotgun a couple parts at it and see if that fixes it.

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

My ratty, 1998 vintage 16" Contour replica snow rims and (4) 17-yr old Blizzaks. Weren't these supposed to disintegrate by now?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Got another welding project. The pedal used to screw into this arm and the fatties over at planet fatness tore the threads to poo poo. Fun first cast-iron project. Preheated with a mapp torch and then welded on the highest setting my welder could handle. Pretty solid penetration on this one.

Really enjoying these little projects. 15 minutes work for 40 bucks? Yes please!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Did you preheat then post heat?

I heard that welding cast iron can be hit and miss.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yes I did a post heat as well.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I read that cast iron does better off with a high temp even if the best you can do is luke warm. I didn't want to harm the bearing on the pedal so I didn't take it as far as I could have temp wise. I'm guessing I hit around 3-400 or so. I did a first round and built up a solid puddle. I love the way you strike the arc and let the puddle sit there for a minute and do its thing. Did a second round and filled it higher than the original surface, letting the gun linger for a bit. Then a bit of post heat to ramp down the temp.

Then I ground it as flat as possible and then hit it with caliper paint. Easy.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It actually looks good.

What did you use for welder/wire/stick etc?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Harbor Freight 240v 170 amp + Lincoln .030 flux core (yes I welded that with .030)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
New update on the way and it has nothing to do with BMW or Toyota. Time for a new thread I think.

Need to decide what to do next on the E36 but it'll probably be a bit. Been basically driving it and not doing much lately.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I am neglecting my e36 loyalty by nursing the e30 back to health and my e46 not having a catastrophic CANBUS implosion. One of those cars nearly killing me in a random, awful accident and me getting 5 grand out of them was my ticket to getting back in an e36 cabrio, damnit, and they just wont do it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Why I'm neglecting the E36:

2015 Ninja 300 ABS.

First bike. Picked it up with 10 miles on the odo and managed to drive it home in rush hour traffic across state lines without dropping it. The E36 is sitting in a parking lot in Indiana wondering WTF just happened.

To be continued in CA I suppose...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Please take the MSF course if you haven't already. You will learn so much about not dying.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
One of us.

aswert1223
Dec 6, 2004

The Ultimate Dripping Machine
So, I screwed up and drove a 2004 Alpine White E46 M3 stick. It was love from the first 8000 RPM, raspy, intoxicating pull through first through forth. Actually only through third. This thing is seriously quick.

As much as I love the the green M3, the E46 feels to me like a perfected E36.

Don't Judge me!

I made a few posts about my E36 in this thread since last October; you guys may remember it, Fern Green vert with Modena Nappa and factory hardtop.

I just put the E36 up for sale on Craigslist in S Florida. If a goon is interested, I will make a good price. As a bonus, fly in to Fort Lauderdale, visit the beach or what not, then drive it anywhere. I will pick you up at FLL in the E36 or E46, your choice :)

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/5013439800.html

aswert1223 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 7, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
E46s are great, especially the interiors. I've been thinking about trading up myself.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

aswert1223 posted:

I just put the E36 up for sale on Craigslist in S Florida. If a goon is interested, I will make a good price. As a bonus, fly in to Fort Lauderdale, visit the beach or what not, then drive it anywhere. I will pick you up at FLL in the E36 or E46, your choice :)

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/5013439800.html

I'm glad it's a vert and you posted this a few days late. I was looking for an E36 M3 last week and ended up buying a super cheap E46 instead. :)

aswert1223
Dec 6, 2004

The Ultimate Dripping Machine

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm glad it's a vert and you posted this a few days late. I was looking for an E36 M3 last week and ended up buying a super cheap E46 instead. :)

Congrats on the E46, I am absolutely in love with mine. Maybe Rev will join us on the dark side and start an E46 thread :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I despise how well-constructed and soft the e46 interior is.

It just doesn't make me hate myself enough when doing the 2 regulators a year it eats.

• Locked thread