Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Does the iOS SDK come with a generic arm compiler?

edit: This should work, but you still have to build everything yourself. The documentation is for older ubuntu versions but it should still work properly. https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded

astr0man fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not sure what the iOS SDK comes with, to be honest. I'll poke around there later though.

Thanks for that link. I don't mind building myself if there's some chance it'll work. I'll give this a try :)

mattx0r
Feb 11, 2005
./configure --omg-optimized

Martytoof posted:

All told, I'd rather do my development on a Linux VM than a Windows VM, but if it's going to be a tremendous pain then I'm not going to fight it and just go with what Freescale recommends and build a Windows environment.

So just one thing I'd like to be clear on: If I can find a generic ARM toolchain, I should be able to compile code for my Freescale FRDM-KL25Z, right? I just want to make sure that I'm not wasting days trying to cobble together a Linux VM with ARM toolchains I download from source forge and then find out that it's irrelevant because I have to use whatever Freescale gave me.

I also found http://www.gnuarm.com but everything there seems to be six years old so I'm not sure I really want to install packages that old.

Sorry if these are really basic questions, I don't mean to flood the thread with things I could easily google online, but I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around the whole ARM development workflow, coming from an Arduino background, combined with the fact that there's a LOT of diverging information online.

At work I'm writing some software for a Cortex-M3. We've been using MentorGraphics' free arm-gcc toolchain, CodeSourcery Lite: http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/sourcery-tools/sourcery-codebench/editions/lite-edition/.

It's a pretty spartan offering (no IDE, no Makefile management, meager docs, etc.), but it's available for pretty much every OS. There are no precompiled OS X packages, so you'll have to spend a few hours building the toolchain from source. jsnyder has published a one-click Makefile that makes it very easy to set things up on OS X: https://github.com/jsnyder/arm-eabi-toolchain.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I love you :glomp:

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
Unfortunately, codebench doesn't support M4 processors with external FPUs. Linaro also publishes a bare-metal ARM toolchain: http://www.linaro.org/downloads/

Look at the bottom of the page.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

For some reason my system is having some serious issues compiling CS Lite toolchain so I'm going to move on to one of two things.

I found YAGARTO which looks like a working toolchain with OSX support. It hasn't been tested with anything above 10.6, however, so if that doesn't work I'm going to claim defeat with my Mac for the time being and use VMware Fusion to set up a reliable IDE under a Linux of some flavour. It seems there's more information available.

I should probably just stop torturing myself and install a Windows VM to use the tools Freescale provides, but for some reason I'm just not looking forward to doing this under Windows. I may be digging myself into a hole here, and not because I dislike Windows or anything, just that I'd like to get this working on something else before that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK, for one reason or another I managed to compile CSLite correctly this time around. I basically followed the directions for toolchain installation on http://gnuarmeclipse.livius.net/wiki/Main_Page (which actually links to the same file that mattx0r linked above.

Going to start digging into getting this working with my Freescale FRDM board now, but at least I cleared the toolchain hurdle. Thanks a million for everyone's help. This is way more frustrating than I'd imagined. I think once I'm done I'll write a "getting poo poo set up on a Mac for idiots" README of some sort so people can follow along.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Zombietoof posted:

Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

For some reason my system is having some serious issues compiling CS Lite toolchain so I'm going to move on to one of two things.

I found YAGARTO which looks like a working toolchain with OSX support. It hasn't been tested with anything above 10.6, however, so if that doesn't work I'm going to claim defeat with my Mac for the time being and use VMware Fusion to set up a reliable IDE under a Linux of some flavour. It seems there's more information available.

I should probably just stop torturing myself and install a Windows VM to use the tools Freescale provides, but for some reason I'm just not looking forward to doing this under Windows. I may be digging myself into a hole here, and not because I dislike Windows or anything, just that I'd like to get this working on something else before that.

Honestly, Windows is probably the OS that will make you the waste the least time just getting stuff to work. All the major manufacturers have tools that run natively under Windows and treat that as their primary target platform. I've gotten up and running fastest under Windows compared to Linux (Fedora) and OS X. The only exception is probably Microchip ever since they released MPLAB X; it worked right out of the box on my Mac.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

Honestly, Windows is probably the OS that will make you the waste the least time just getting stuff to work. All the major manufacturers have tools that run natively under Windows and treat that as their primary target platform. I've gotten up and running fastest under Windows compared to Linux (Fedora) and OS X. The only exception is probably Microchip ever since they released MPLAB X; it worked right out of the box on my Mac.

The exception is when you have a linux target, then a linux host can be convenient.

The best solution is run whatever OS you like best and have a VM for each special snowflake toolchain. I like vmware fusion and OSX myself. USB programmers pass through to the VMs cleanly in my experience which is well worth the price (vbox while impressive for a free offering just doesn't have the hardware support).

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
PS Cypress' programmer costs a hundred bucks because they threw an fpga in it, hehehehe

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

PS Cypress' programmer costs a hundred bucks because they threw an fpga in it, hehehehe

Yeah the Microchip Real ICE has a FPGA in it also. Haven't cracked it open but I think it's Altera of some flavour. Good tool with good drivers though, and stands up to abuse.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did anyone who ordered that Stellaris Launchpad board for five bucks apiece get their order?

Mine is sitting authorized but unprocessed with a ship date of 12/17/2012. I'm having a bit of a hard time believing it's taking them two months (from my purchase) to ship a pair of Launchpads.

If the price wasn't five bucks I'd probably cancel and just buy them somewhere else. AVnet wants $5 apiece too (with 399 in stock) but want $22 to ship to Canada so I'm not really ready to pay more for shipping than for two dev boards.

edit: If it seems like I'm jumping around back and forth with regards to my dev boards, I absolutely am. The Launchpad has prelim OpenOCD support and an available flasher that should work under OSX and Linux, and quite frankly I'm tired of fighting with the Freescale board. I was about to set up an XP environment to develop for it, but then I saw that the Launchpad is a happy camper under Linux/OSX, relatively speaking. For the record I have absolutely no end goal or project that I'm working on. I'm just trying to dick around with the platform. There are a few pet projects I want to try, but there's nothing that is keeping me from using an Arduino or PIC or something, other than curiosity about the ARM platform.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 30, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Zombietoof posted:

Did anyone who ordered that Stellaris Launchpad board for five bucks apiece get their order?

Mine is sitting authorized but unprocessed with a ship date of 12/17/2012. I'm having a bit of a hard time believing it's taking them two months (from my purchase) to ship a pair of Launchpads.

If the price wasn't five bucks I'd probably cancel and just buy them somewhere else. AVnet wants $5 apiece too (with 399 in stock) but want $22 to ship to Canada so I'm not really ready to pay more for shipping than for two dev boards.

edit: If it seems like I'm jumping around back and forth with regards to my dev boards, I absolutely am. The Launchpad has prelim OpenOCD support and an available flasher that should work under OSX and Linux, and quite frankly I'm tired of fighting with the Freescale board. I was about to set up an XP environment to develop for it, but then I saw that the Launchpad is a happy camper under Linux/OSX, relatively speaking. For the record I have absolutely no end goal or project that I'm working on. I'm just trying to dick around with the platform. There are a few pet projects I want to try, but there's nothing that is keeping me from using an Arduino or PIC or something, other than curiosity about the ARM platform.

Yeah, I got in on the pre-order and got them at the end of the September I think, though I did use a corporate e-mail which might have helped.

What OS do you really want to develop under? Speaking as someone who had to deliver customer projects and not just blinky LEDs, I was able to move seamlessly between Windows and OS X with MPLAB X for a large PIC project, and my hardware (REAL ICE, USB) worked fine on each.

Added bonus, the IDE isn't even really necessary because they switched to using make for everything. So I could use Notepad++ on Windows and Sublime on OS X.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I had my choice I would be strict OSX. I've managed to cobble together a toolchain thanks to the advice in this thread, and I've gotten Eclipse CDT to work with that exceptionally well. Right now the weakest link is my Freescale board which, admittedly, was an impulse buy without much research. I've got two Stellaris launchpads in queue so I can play with one here and one at work.

I've definitely not ruled out PIC, and their developer support seems to be exceptional. The only real issue I've had with PIC is that I can't find any high profile eval boards. Granted that's partly because I haven't been looking very hard.

I've just been skimming the surface of this and was hoping to jury rig what I had into working. As a complete aside (not that I'm accusing anyone of doing this) I definitely don't fault anyone here if they feel like rolling their eyes at me because I'm not really doing any serious research or putting a lot of muscle behind this. It's literally been at the "hey I have an arduino that I like to make LEDs blink on. What else is out there that I can play with? Oh this ARM thing looks pretty cool, let's throw ten bucks at it and see what happens" stage of a hobby. I'm really glad you guys haven't kicked me out on my rear end though :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've been working on a project with Arduino and RPi, and I know I'm not working with 'real embedded' stuff yet, but I am in love with tiny computing devices and the things they can do. I have a Stellaris on order and want to play with the 430 stuff as well.

I'm assuming that it would behoove me to grind on C for a while? I write perl for a living and can hack through Arduino sketches no problem, but as for the finer (uglier?) points of 'real' C, I'm green.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Zombietoof posted:

If I had my choice I would be strict OSX. I've managed to cobble together a toolchain thanks to the advice in this thread, and I've gotten Eclipse CDT to work with that exceptionally well. Right now the weakest link is my Freescale board which, admittedly, was an impulse buy without much research. I've got two Stellaris launchpads in queue so I can play with one here and one at work.

I've definitely not ruled out PIC, and their developer support seems to be exceptional. The only real issue I've had with PIC is that I can't find any high profile eval boards. Granted that's partly because I haven't been looking very hard.

A major PIC dev platform is the Explorer 16, which can get pricey. Basically, you can buy the most powerful member of certain families of PICs on little plug-in-modules, and it has expansion slots for PICTails of various types (CAN, graphics, etc). The idea is to prototype on these, and then you cut down to the actual PIC you need (less flash/RAM/peripherals/whatever).

The PICKit 3 is a really inexpensive programmer/debugger that's a good start to use. The PICDem boards are decent, though some are a little dated. There's also some PIC32 dev boards with USB connectivity for debugging built in, but PIC32s are kind of in a weird spot, being a 32-bit MCU that's MIPS 4K-based whilst everyone and their mom is doing ARM these days.

I guess what I'm saying is there are some PIC eval boards out there, but certainly not anything as "nice" as Launchpads or various *duinos in terms of cost and relative complexity. It is actually not that hard to build your own PIC dev "board"; with the PICKit3 (which interfaces via 0.100" headers), a DIP PIC, and some basic parts, you could do it all on a breadboard, no joke.

quote:

I've just been skimming the surface of this and was hoping to jury rig what I had into working. As a complete aside (not that I'm accusing anyone of doing this) I definitely don't fault anyone here if they feel like rolling their eyes at me because I'm not really doing any serious research or putting a lot of muscle behind this. It's literally been at the "hey I have an arduino that I like to make LEDs blink on. What else is out there that I can play with? Oh this ARM thing looks pretty cool, let's throw ten bucks at it and see what happens" stage of a hobby. I'm really glad you guys haven't kicked me out on my rear end though :)

Everyone's got to start somewhere.

Jonny 290 posted:

I've been working on a project with Arduino and RPi, and I know I'm not working with 'real embedded' stuff yet, but I am in love with tiny computing devices and the things they can do. I have a Stellaris on order and want to play with the 430 stuff as well.

I'm assuming that it would behoove me to grind on C for a while? I write perl for a living and can hack through Arduino sketches no problem, but as for the finer (uglier?) points of 'real' C, I'm green.

Yeah, you want to get to know C real well. Bitwise stuff is very common, and various toolchains abuse the spec in different ways when it comes to instantiating and utilizing interrupt routines, DMA, and various other macros. Most MCUs lack a MMU, but you can still utilize pointers to great effect, especially considering your limited stack size.

You can get weird-rear end declarations like (compiler specific to XC16 here)
code:
// Configuration Bits
_FBS(BWRP_WRPROTECT_OFF & BSS_NO_FLASH & RBS_NO_RAM);
_FSS(SWRP_WRPROTECT_OFF & SSS_NO_FLASH & RSS_NO_RAM);
_FGS(GWRP_OFF & GSS_OFF);
_FOSCSEL(FNOSC_FRC & IESO_ON);
_FOSC(POSCMD_XT & OSCIOFNC_OFF & FCKSM_CSECMD);
_FWDT(WDTPOST_PS1 & WDTPRE_PR32 & WINDIS_OFF & FWDTEN_OFF);
_FPOR(FPWRT_PWR1 & LPOL_ON & HPOL_ON & PWMPIN_ON);
_FICD(ICS_PGD1 & JTAGEN_OFF);

ECAN1MSGBUF ecan1msgBuf __attribute__((space(dma), aligned(ECAN1_MSG_BUF_LENGTH*16)));
And depending on how nice the header files are structured, you get a lot of code that looks like this to setup various peripherals / other SFRs
code:
	// Bit-rate stuff
C1CFG1bits.BRP = 1;		// 500 kbps
C1CFG1bits.SJW = 0x3;	// SJW = 4 TQ	
C1CFG2bits.SEG1PH=0x7;	// Phase Segment 1 set to 8 TQ
C1CFG2bits.SEG2PHTS = 0x1;
C1CFG2bits.SEG2PH = 0x5;	
C1CFG2bits.PRSEG = 0x4;		// Propagation Segment = 5 TQ	
C1CFG2bits.SAM = 0x1;		// Triple-sample bus
And FWIW, I found the MSP430 docs to be worse than PIC docs; felt like I had to spend more time digging for information than actually programming.

e: Assembly can come into play, especially if you have a timing-sensitive ISR or something, but I don't think it needs to be a priority to know.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Besides bitwise operators, at some point it will probably be useful for you to learn how unions and bitfields work (both of these get used a lot more in an embedded context than in a 'regular' systems-programming context).

oh, and TURN OPTIMIZATIONS OFF GLOBALLY and reintroduce them with pragmas where you need them if you're sure you need them. This will save you headaches.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Go listen to someone talk about about STM stuff and get some free STM stuff:

http://www.st.com/internet/com/Learning/stm32f3_seminars_na.jsp?WT.mc_id=stm32f3seminar_da_adbanner_sep12

I'm going to the one in Toronto on the 8th but only registered just now. Hopefully I'm still good. Will report back!

e: (just got my registration confirmation so I guess they're fine with last-second signups!)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 8, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Attended the STM32F3 presentation. Overall I didn't learn anything useful because the presentation was a lot of sales mixed with a presentation of some IAR workbench pre-fabbed demos. Got a nice board out of it, so at least I have some new tools to play with.

Still working on my dev env. Trying to build something that will work for both STM32 and my Stellaris TI when it arrives. So far I've got cs gcc toolchain set up, just working on getting OpenOCD and Eclipse up and cooperating. I think I might be biting off a little too much for a beginner though, and some part of me thinks I should figure out more about basic embedded ARM development before I go worrying about the IDE.

Still sloughing my way through Embedded Programming O'Reilly book and it's helping some, but I really wish there was an equivalent to the Arduino support base for, if not individual boards, then at least a generic writeup on how to get into this from a beginner perspective. Nothing I haven't bemoaned about before so I won't rehash it.

Picked up a few RFID ICs for a pet project though. Nothing helps spur on learning like having a goal :)

I still swear that when I get halfway decent at this I am going to write some sort of "How to get into ARM development for beginners" website. At least for people who don't use the standard Windows tools.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
I'm looking into the STM32F4x5/4x7 series (DigiKey overview) for quadcopter (actually, hexacopter but whatever) development. The STM32F4DISCOVERY is only $15. I'll likely go with the 4x7, so I can hook the EMAC up to a ethernet-wifi bridge. Glancing at Wikipedia's STM32 page, it seems like it might be reasonable to do development on OSX. I found someone who is developing the F4 under Ubuntu (except for flashing), and here's a nice F4 under OSX tutorial. I have a Windows VM set up, but I'd rather not have to use it. This looks promising: http://dangerousprototypes.com/tag/stm32f4/ .

Martytoof posted:

I still swear that when I get halfway decent at this I am going to write some sort of "How to get into ARM development for beginners" website. At least for people who don't use the standard Windows tools.
If I go the STM32 route, I'd be happy to contribute to this, at least if F3 development is sufficiently similar to F4 development. I've only ever used Atmel Mega8 and Mega2560 chips, unless you could the ancient 8086 from a uni embedded class. :-) If I move to ARM, I can become a big boy.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
One neat platform I didn't see in the OP is the mbed.

The mbed is an ARM Cortex M3 on a wide 40-pin PCB, similar to a large Stamp and smaller than a lot of other prototype boards. It fits in breadboards and can be programmed and powered through USB.

The device is actually two ARM chips - one runs your application and has its IO connected to the various board pins, while the other is the "programming" controller which drives the target's programming port as well as emulating a terminal and a flash drive over its USB port.

mbed advantages:

- if you're lazy, you can use an online IDE in your browser without installing any software at all (you can install a normal ARM tool chain if you want).

- the mbed plugs into USB and looks like a USB flash memory key. To program it you just need to copy .bin files to the device, no drivers needed. Libraries allow you to read/write files off the flash disk as well.

- the programming language is C++, and there's plenty of libraries for various IO devices

- although the mbed board has a limited pinout, there's a ton of IO resources on those pins, including an Ethernet port and an additional USB master/slave port. There are libraries for both, and the USB libraries allow you to do things like emulate a keyboard to a computer, or get keystrokes from a USB keyboard.

There are a few disadvantages:

- Obviously some people don't like online tools.

- I don't think you can directly debug it, but then, I haven't tried non-online tools.

- The pinout is limited, and the USB and Ethernet ports do take up precious pins if you don't need those features.

The limited pinout might switch me to the new (ARM-based) Arduino Due, but I haven't got my hands on one yet.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Anyone use the AVR ISP2? I got this to try to load some C operating instructions onto an ATmega8 processor. For some reason, I can't seem to get my computer to recognize the programmer. The green power light will blink for a second on the programmer but that's it. Anyone ever run into similar problems or have any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Using Atmel Studio 6, I get the following error:
Timestamp: 2012-11-10 09:35:36.759
Severity: ERROR
ComponentId: 20100
StatusCode: 1
ModuleName: TCF (TCF command: Tool:connect failed.)

USB driver attach timed out

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. Kind of. For some reason, the programmer doesn't work on that USB port. The port works fine with anything else. Go figure.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 10, 2012

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
My Stellaris boards (Cortex M4F) came in yesterday. Good times.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Otto Skorzeny posted:

My Stellaris boards (Cortex M4F) came in yesterday. Good times.

heh

:(

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Does anyone have experience with the Papilio one? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11158

Seems like a very arduino-ish design, with support for extension boards and all that. I don't have any experience with FPGAs, so is this a good first choice? Is there anything else out there that you would recommend instead for a similar or lower price point? I don't have a specific application in mind, just interested in experimenting and learning about them.

I've seen a couple articles about emulating specific processors with FPGAs, for example some video game systems. Is there any kind of online library of various virtual cpu designs like this? Are FPGA designs generally very portable across makes and models?

Dolex
May 5, 2001

KetTarma posted:

The port works fine with anything else. Go figure.
Settle a bet, are you running Windows?

Dolex
May 5, 2001

peepsalot posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Papilio one? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11158
I have one, and I have it setup to run the ZPUino softprocessor. It is very cool, especially with the VGA output arcade shield. Unless you are an FPGA wiz you will have a headache getting other IP cores to port over.

I would start with this book : http://www.amazon.com/FPGA-Prototyping-VHDL-Examples-Spartan-3/dp/0470185317/

and a starter prototyping board from diligent: https://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Catalog.cfm?NavPath=2,400&Cat=10&FPGA

Design using VHDL is difficult and time consuming because it isn't very incremental. Commonly everything has to be 100% laid out and perfect for anything to work properly. Build and Simulation times are very long (multiple minutes).

If you want to have fun learning FPGA dev, start small.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Dolex posted:

Settle a bet, are you running Windows?

On this computer, yeah. I have Ubuntu on my desktop but dont really use it that much. Sorry if I lost my nerdcred.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just going to throw this here, but it's a pretty comprehensive writeup for getting a free toolchain and dev environment running. Nothing that you can't put together yourself, and in fact you do need to do a little of your own research if the components or your system details stray too wildly from his defaults, but all said and done it helped me throw together a really nice environment.

I'm sure everyone is sick of me posting about my dumb nonstandard requirements so hopefully this will be the last non-actual-programming note I make:

http://www.stf12.org/developers/ODeV.html

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Does anyone have experience with using Forth for embedded programming?

I was interested in trying this out and any excuse to program Forth is a good one, but what microcontroller would be a good place to start?

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Just noticed the guys behind Teensy released version 3 with an ARM Cortex-M4 processor (no fpu, unfortunately), with the intention of having it fully working with Teensyduino (Arduino software for the Teensy) in the near future. Could be interesting to have a decent low-power ARM board without necessarily requiring an ARM compiler toolchain for prototyping.

I've been using the Teensy2.0 for a few minor projects and will probably pick some of these newer ones up once things get a bit more complete.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
So, I've always been interested in embedded programming, since it's so far removed from what I do (web development). I'm thinking I'd like to buy a board and gently caress around with it, but I don't have any ideas for projects. So I'm wondering, what kinds of DIY projects you guys have been working on with your Arduinos and Teensys (Teensies?) and whatnot?

(fwiw, I'm thinking of making a "light show" sort of thing that can take audio and blink lights to the beat or something, which seems doable with Arduino)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 12, 2012

Dolex
May 5, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

So, I've always been interested in embedded programming, since it's so far removed from what I do (web development). I'm thinking I'd like to buy a board and gently caress around with it, but I don't have any ideas for projects. So I'm wondering, what kinds of DIY projects you guys have been working on with your Arduinos and Teensys (Teensies?) and whatnot?

(fwiw, I'm thinking of making a "light show" sort of thing that can take audio and blink lights to the beat or something, which seems doable with Arduino)
http://learn.adafruit.com/

happy monday morning.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone read through this?

http://www.amazon.com/Embedded-Systems-Introduction-Cortex-Microcontrollers/dp/1477508996

Probably going to pick this up since it looks right up my alley, just wondered whether anyone's had any hands-on experience with this book.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KetTarma posted:

On this computer, yeah. I have Ubuntu on my desktop but dont really use it that much. Sorry if I lost my nerdcred.

There's no nerdcred to it, I use Windows for everything because the manufacturers support it, I've been using it for probably 15 years now, and oh yeah, I pretty much never have to gently caress with anything to get a toolchain up and running.

Yeah it's cool for stuff to run on other OSes, but to be honest, I'd rather the companies continue to invest their time and money into improving and perfecting their tools for one OS. They cater to corporations, not hobbyists, and for the most part it's Windows workstations with perhaps some Linux servers doing X11 forwarding for some high-end Cadence/Mentor simulation packages.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Case in point: In the time it took me to figure out a good OSX toolchain and dev environment for the Cortex boards I have, I could have been half done learning how to code for the loving things instead.

I have this Eclipse/CodeSorcery/OpenOCD setup now, but if anything breaks I am just going to load Win7 in VMware Fusion, install Kale or whatever, and not ever gently caress with trying to sweat out an OSX toolchain again.

e: Keil :q:

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

You want a random project? My friend is a big fan of The Iron Giant, and wants to make a replica of the screw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20LTVNlJ3lw&t=15s.

I used an 8-pin Atmel uC to try and replicate the sound and light for him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgexuyCRQuo. (It's not just a simple "beep"... it's using PWM to generate an enveloped, non-square waveform).

Oh yeah, and the avrdude programmer I ordered never arrived, so I had to write a custom USB<->SPI interface for a Teensy that I had lying around, and write an avrdude driver for that.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

movax posted:

There's no nerdcred to it
indeed

I was curious if I was able to spot windows USB behavior. It's like each root-hub is it's own island, and a device can become unwelcome on that island.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Man state of charge is a pain in the rear end :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

abraham linksys posted:

If you have a microcontroller that simplifies USB HID stuff - like the Teensy and the Uno, I think - making a MIDI controller or a joystick is pretty simple and makes for a fun project. Buy cheap arcade buttons off eBay or DX, cut up a lunchbox for an enclosure, hook it up and play games/make music :cool:

Alternatively, you could make a pan/tilt rig for a laser pointer (or really small camera) with two servos. If you're lucky, you might be able to power both of them with the micro's current source for less wiring :effort:

The easiest way to do the "light show", I think, would be processing the audio on the PC, and then send commands over the serial port to have the Arduino control the lights. I can't really think of a way to detect a beat without FFT, which I think is a little too much for the Arduino.

• Locked thread