Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
I, too, can use google. Sorry, didn't realize it was done already.

Here is where you can buy it if you wanna know:

http://theunstore.com/index.php/unstore/game/143

A as pdf, anyway. Print on demand elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Is any form of Monster of the Week available anywhere yet?

PDF or Print + PDF from the creator's own site here.

You can buy it from Lulu if it cheaper for you that way. He mentions in his site that you can redeem the PDF from him if you email him the order number afterwards.

I bought it from him yesterday, he's super quick. I got the PDF, the Luchador playbook and a shipping confirmation email within a couple of hours of my purchase from his site.

I also got all the additional playbooks (minus The Exile) from a guy on RPG Geek. Let me know if you want them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Scrape posted:

This is a really neat idea, but I think it bothers me that it might not match the fiction. Like, what if the player sets up a situation where they can take down their Target, regardless of the Lead?

Then they take down their Target! Fiction Trumps Rules, which doesn't mean you can't have rules in place to facilitate fiction; it means that if the two clash, you go with fiction.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Someone made this and posted it on the AW forum,
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ETp72rzwzNhfGEb-yKj2buZlrZ3zfQqUnHStoNCDRBQ/edit

It's a really nice violence flowchart for AW. If you're having trouble deciding between Aggro and Seize, this is for you.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

i've been sharpening a knife in the bathroom.

mllaneza posted:

Someone made this and posted it on the AW forum,
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ETp72rzwzNhfGEb-yKj2buZlrZ3zfQqUnHStoNCDRBQ/edit

It's a really nice violence flowchart for AW. If you're having trouble deciding between Aggro and Seize, this is for you.

That's real helpful for new players!

Actually, I think that this is the one section of the rules that I don't like. New players have a hard time determining what the difference is between these moves, and they're misleadingly named: Go Aggro is the more general move, Seize by Force is for specific cases... but the description makes Seize sound like "the combat move" because it has a list of options desirable during combat. And Go Aggro sounds like a Manipulate, in the text. It could all be a whole lot clearer because I had to read the moves very carefully to figure out what was REALLY going on in there.

I think some of the *World hacks have presented it better.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tasoth posted:

Could just leave the target undefined until you hit zero lead. Reflecting that you have a general idea of the person who did it, but nothing concrete. Good reference for this would be Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Dark City and Hot Fuzz. In all those movies, the protagonists start with or pick up on a target early on, but don't work it out until the end. And then everything goes to hell.

EDIT: What you could define at the start of the game is what they did to you. Did they leave you for dead? Did their goons ride in, destroy and/or violate your family and leave everything in flames? Did they kill a loved one while you were away and now you're back? That kind of thing.
Ooh, that's a cool idea. I like it.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, but sometimes it's exactly the opposite, and The Fucker ("Target" is way too dry) is obvious, but your history with them isn't, and there's something besides a roster of goons that keeps you from killing them right away. Look at Once Upon a Time in the West and The Quick and the Dead. I do think the -Lead ongoing idea can do something super-hot with that idea.
"If you confront the Fucker in some fashion (violent or not) and you get away alive, mark experience."

quote:

It's possible that this kind of thing just isn't possible in an RPG without somehow stealing from Mountain Witch. :v:
I have not read Mountain Witch, but I've heard of it. Is it still available?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 22, 2012

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

Danoss posted:

PDF or Print + PDF from the creator's own site here.

You can buy it from Lulu if it cheaper for you that way. He mentions in his site that you can redeem the PDF from him if you email him the order number afterwards.

I bought it from him yesterday, he's super quick. I got the PDF, the Luchador playbook and a shipping confirmation email within a couple of hours of my purchase from his site.

I also got all the additional playbooks (minus The Exile) from a guy on RPG Geek. Let me know if you want them.

I'm interested in the MotW playbooks.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

"If you confront The Fucker and get away alive..." is loving genius! It implies that the confrontation is well, well beyond your means until you have 0-Lead and reinforces it mechanically. That would totally make me, as a player, get the point that this guy is Not To Be hosed With and that the cause is in the fiction. I like that.

Edit: it also tells the MC that this isnot a fight the player can just waltz into. I really like it.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

sighnoceros posted:

I'm interested in the MotW playbooks.

Monster of the Week LE Playbooks for all!

The linked zip file contains:
  • The Action Scientist
  • The Divine
  • The Hard Case
  • The Luchador
  • The Snoop
  • The Summoned
If anyone gets their hands on The Exile (which you get by writing up an actual play experience), I would greatly appreciate a copy of it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Scrape posted:

"If you confront The Fucker and get away alive..." is loving genius! It implies that the confrontation is well, well beyond your means until you have 0-Lead and reinforces it mechanically. That would totally make me, as a player, get the point that this guy is Not To Be hosed With and that the cause is in the fiction. I like that.

Edit: it also tells the MC that this isnot a fight the player can just waltz into. I really like it.
Aw shucks. :shobon:

On a related note, I was thinking about the whole "defeat The Fucker once and for all" side of things, and what would happen to the character since his moves all revolve around hunting this guy down, and wouldn't be useful once he's dead.

Then I realized; it's already built into the AW system. Just take the swap to a new playbook or retire to safety advances and you're covered. Not a huge deal, but a happy coincidence.

Danoss posted:

Monster of the Week LE Playbooks for all!
If anyone gets their hands on The Exile (which you get by writing up an actual play experience), I would greatly appreciate a copy of it.
I added this link to the OP. Hopefully I'll be able to run MotW soon and get the Exiled.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Aw shucks. :shobon:

On a related note, I was thinking about the whole "defeat The Fucker once and for all" side of things, and what would happen to the character since his moves all revolve around hunting this guy down, and wouldn't be useful once he's dead.

Then I realized; it's already built into the AW system. Just take the swap to a new playbook or retire to safety advances and you're covered. Not a huge deal, but a happy coincidence.

Someone go ahead and write this "The Bride" playbook already.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm actually assembling the notes I've written so far into a rough file.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

THE VENGANT

LOOK
Man, woman, ambiguous
Tattered wear, bloody wear, symbolic wear
Dead eyes, rage-filled eyes, tired eyes, focused eyes
Slim body, ravaged body, muscular body

STATS (very much not done)
Choose one set:
• Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird=0
• Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird-1
• Cool+2 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp-1 Weird=0
• Cool-1 Hard+2 Hot-1 Sharp+2 Weird+1

When you create your character, determine what terrible thing (The Incident) you survived and how you survived it. Did they raze your town and leave you for dead? Did their goons ride in, destroy and/or violate your family and leave everything in flames? Did they kill a loved one while you were away and now you're back?

The MC will then create a special Front for the guy responsible, hereafter known as "The Fucker". This Front is just like a normal Front, but with two exceptions.
1) The Fucker will have a few Lieutenants. There are guys who enforce the Target's agendas and do some of his dirty work. They'll all be tricky to get to, and probably have a gang or something you'll have to kill your way through. Lieutenants might be small Fronts on their own, too, but generally they'll be the threats of the Front.
2) The Fucker doesn't have a countdown clock. Instead, he has a Lead on you. Lead starts at 6. Every time you defeat a Lieutenant or learn an important bit of information about The Fucker, you reduce the Lead by one. When you confront The Fucker (violently or not), you take -Lead ongoing until one of you is defeated or withdraws from the scene in some fashion.

MOVES

You start with this one:
One step closer: When you onfront The Fucker in some fashion (violent or not) and you get away alive, mark experience.

Pick X more:
This is between you and me: When you confront The Fucker or one of his lieutenants, roll +Hard. On a 10+ pick two, 7-9 pick one.
• You take +1 ongoing until they're defeated or run away.
• Nobody else will interfere on either side.
• They give away an important clue about The Fucker.
• You do 1-harm more damage against your opponent's gang.

I need your help: When you manipulate someone to help you get closer to The Fucker, roll +Hard instead of +Hot.

I remember you!: When you confront someone who was involved in The Incident,

Best Served Cold: Something about spending Lead, or using Lead to modify something else. Increase Lead by 1 to _________.

Put out feelers: When you arrive at a settlement you haven't been to in a while and ask around for leads on The Fucker, roll +Sharp. On a 10+, you get some info about The Fucker or one of his Lieutenants. On a 7-9, you get the info but word gets back to The Fucker or the local Lieutenant. On a miss, you get zilch and The Fucker's forces come looking for you.

HX

On your turn, choose 1, 2, or all 3
• One of them found you (or what was left of you) after The Fucker's attack. Tell that player Hx+2.
• You think one of them might be working for The Fucker. Tell that player Hx-1.
• One of them helped you track down a lead to The Fucker. Tell that player Hx+1.

Tell everyone else Hx+1. What happened to you isn't exactly a secret, and everyone knows you're out for revenge.

On the others' turns, whatever number they tell you, give it -1 write it next to your character's name. You have a little trouble getting close to people ever since The Fucker ruined your life.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

I wonder if it's best to word "confrontation" as something like, "when you deny them something." I want it to be obvious how both "No I will not tell you where I know you from," and "Yes I just cut off your boy's arm, boo-yah" count. But yes, awesome, ur the greatest.

quote:

I have not read Mountain Witch, but I've heard of it. Is it still available?

BEHOLD

The problem with a pdf, of course, is that you don't get the cards, which really are a required artifact for play, but at least they can be made relatively easily via printing and cutting. It's not like it's an entire cocking deck plus a plastic cockroach (:argh:morningstar!).

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Maybe something like this too?

You're just a sideshow: You have 2-armor against attacks from people other than the Fucker or his Lieutenants. This doesn't stack with any other armor.

I've been waiting for this: When acting under pressure due to the Fucker or his Lieutenants, or Helping Out someone currently being harmed by them, roll +Hard instead of +Cool

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

You're just a sideshow: You have 2-armor against attacks from people other than the Fucker or his Lieutenants. This doesn't stack with any other armor.

That is ludicrously powerful, though I like the concept. Does a Vengant really fight against people unrelated to the Fucker that often? I imagine them as having some kind of "social" armor bonus, that makes it harder for people to distract them from their path.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

I wonder if it's best to word "confrontation" as something like, "when you deny them something." I want it to be obvious how both "No I will not tell you where I know you from," and "Yes I just cut off your boy's arm, boo-yah" count. But yes, awesome, ur the greatest.
Man, and it's not even done yet! I still haven't figured out what the stat spread to be (although I think Hard should be the main stat), and I definitely want a move involving manipulating the Lead pool.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Steal from the Hoarder's hoard rules, I'd suggest. Your need for revenge pushes you to do poo poo, you can't just walk away or lay down your pain.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I've been waiting for this: When acting under pressure due to the Fucker or his Lieutenants, or Helping Out someone currently being harmed by them, roll +Hard instead of +Cool
Ooh, I like this.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Suggestions for "The Bride":
  • Change the playbook name to "The Wronged"
  • You're Just a Sideshow -> Ignore the Sideshow - When you face off against the Fucker or one of his Lieutenants, gain Armor 2 (Does not stack) vs. damage that does not originate from the Fucker or one of his Lieutenants.
  • Put out feelers -> The Straightest Path to Revenge - When you act on information that concerns locating the Fucker or one of his Lieutenants, roll +Sharp.
    • On a 10+, you find definite information that will lead to a showdown. (All lieutenants must have been defeated before a showdown with the Fucker)
    • On a 7-9, you find definite information that leads onward and choose 1:
      • The fucker doesn't know what you found out.
      • The information does not lead to some sort of trap.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

I'm just throwing ideas out here, but what if you have to choose between letting The Fucker get away/advance his agenda, and helping out your allies? Like, whenever you help a friend at the cost of advancing your revenge plans, you mark xp but gain Lead?

This is a super rough idea but there might be something in there. I want to see the Vengeant slowly grow back their humanity by realizing that there may be more to life...

Edit: Johnthegm's correction to the Sideshow move is a good one

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

jonthegm posted:

Suggestions for "The Bride":
  • Change the playbook name to "The Wronged"
  • Put out feelers -> The Straightest Path to Revenge - When you act on information that concerns locating the Fucker or one of his Lieutenants, roll +Sharp.
    • On a 10+, you find definite information that will lead to a showdown. (All lieutenants must have been defeated before a showdown with the Fucker)
    • On a 7-9, you find definite information that leads onward and choose 1:
I was going to call it "The Wronged", but there's already a MotW playbook with that name.

As for the "feelers" move; I do want a different name, but I don't know if I like the idea of the fight being directly triggered by a roll.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Awesome. But you left something out here:

Evil Mastermind posted:

I remember you!: When you confront someone who was involved in The Incident,

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was going to call it "The Wronged", but there's already a MotW playbook with that name.

As for the "feelers" move; I do want a different name, but I don't know if I like the idea of the fight being directly triggered by a roll.

How about "The Aggrieved", "The Executed", "The Abandoned"?

I agree, how about removing the requirement for a showdown, and it just points you to their last known whereabouts?
The Straight Road to Revenge When you act on information that concerns locating the Fucker or one of his Lieutenants, roll +Sharp. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9, choose 1.
  • [Whoever you found information about] is still there.
  • No one was sent to kill you.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I came up with "The Marked" but didn't suggest it because a. it could be confused with The Fucker and b. in general my ideas were less revenge focused and more had-a-brush-with-death focused.

Also I came up with "The Revenger" and "The Avenger". One sounds a touch too silly still, the other builds in some righteousness that not all players would want if they're after ~Daaaaaaark Vengeaaaaaaance!~

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kestral posted:

Awesome. But you left something out here:

No, that was me having an incomplete thought. I think I want a move there, but I don't know what it would be yet.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Thesarus list for 'Revenant'. Figured since so much of the playbook has to do with revenge against someone who thought they killed you, either physically or emotionally, and you've come back for them, it is fitting.

I would knock down the armor bonus move to +1. Figuring most characters start out with 1-Armor, giving them a +2 against everything not listed as The Fucker or Lieutenants means that's +3 armor all game. And with something like the Faceless' move that reduces harm by 1 when they're being scary, whenever you decide it's go time, you have 4-Armor. You need to be hit by a truck at this point to take any damage. Or a gang, most likely bigger than small.

I'd also let them reassign their target of revenge. It's thematically fitting as the whole point of the character is someone who has gone off the deep end is has dedicated their entire life to destroying them and everything they possess.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The armor bonus doesn't stack. Though I agree that it's high.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If we use Jonthgm's ignore the sideshow, the +2 armor wouldn't actually come up that often, would it? Possibly have it only apply when you're actually facing The Fucker themselves, to represent just how hard for vengeance the character is. Or possibly have the character ignore the results of all harm rolls not made by the Fucker until the end of combat. I believe a Monster of the Week playbook has a similar ability.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Or have the (full?) bonus come into effect only in the presence of the Fucker or a Lieutenant. Shrug off the mooks, go straight for the leader.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

When you put it like that, I think I might find it more interesting as a conditional NOT TO BE hosed WITH.

e: wait, that's dumb, gang-fighting revengers could just take the real thing as a move from another playbook.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 23, 2012

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I honestly think just knocking it down to +1 armor and leaving it as is would be fine. If the character wants more armor, they can by 2-Armor or better during play. Or earn it.

Fake edit: On review of the 'This is Between You and Me' move, tacking on 'Take +1 armor for the rest of the fight' and condensing the move may be better.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I was looking at a Monster of the Week playbook where you could pick "Have 2 armor, even when naked." So I nerfed it some for AW. Maybe the reverse?

"Can't Kill me Twice": When facing off against the Fucker or his lieutenants, you have 2 armor against them and anyone working for them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Incidentally, anyone hacking AW should look at the forums. Here's a handy discussion of how the stat lines balance between playbooks.
http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=91.0

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What would be a good app or site for making quick and dirty maps for a PbP game of AW?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Doc Hawkins posted:

The Bride should probably be a playbook. Lots of left-for-dead avengers in fiction, it'd be fun to play one.

Wouldn't she be pretty much covered by Battlebabe?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Winson_Paine posted:

Wouldn't she be pretty much covered by Battlebabe?

If you just want the merciless killing machine part, yes, if you want the revenge driven part, no.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Swagger Dagger posted:

If you just want the merciless killing machine part, yes, if you want the revenge driven part, no.

But what I am sayin' is what moves would you NEED to be driven by revenge? I am looking over the playbook and these work as well for Buffy the Vampire Slayer as they do The Bride. It is just a matter of attitude and spin. Unless I am missing something, which is probable.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Winson_Paine posted:

But what I am sayin' is what moves would you NEED to be driven by revenge? I am looking over the playbook and these work as well for Buffy the Vampire Slayer as they do The Bride. It is just a matter of attitude and spin. Unless I am missing something, which is probable.

Well, what they're developing in here is narrowly focused on finding and confronting the one who did you wrong rather than just hurting people in general.

Of course you can just give a battlebabe a background of "someone was a dick" but that playbook doesn't have any moves that reflect that at all, which is specifically what they're working on designing. They could be alternate battlebabe moves, I guess, but the whole point of playbooks in AW is being narrowly focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

There is also The Wronged from Monster of the Week, which is a revenge-driven character. A few tweaks to that and it may do what you want.

Its given move is:

I Know My Prey
+1 ongoing when you are (knowingly) investigating, pursuing, or fighting the type of monster that caused your loss.

• Locked thread