Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

BRILLIANT!

I was considering using DW as a base instead of AW but I disliked the idea of using hit points.

OTOH given that DW has bases for different races whereas AW has everyone more or less baseline human by default, maybe DW would be a better base and take some of the cues from Star Wars d20 and other such things like DW itself did from D&D and family.

You do both.

Ditch the sex moves from AW. Use DW's race moves (each playbook can be one race out of a few choices and each race gives a unique move per playbook it has access to). Suddenly, you have the best of both worlds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Time to write some moves for my DW setting!

History goes that the dragons made the kobold as a slave race, but the kobold eventually rose up against them and exploited the knowledge they'd been privy to as slaves to kill most of the dragons. Today, they roam the world in small tribes, slaying dragonspawn wherever they find them and hunting down the last of the dragons.

Kobold are fairly small and wiry, so they use a lot of teamwork while fighting - draw the dragonspawn's attention to one or two kobold while the others flank it, then attack all at once for a killing blow.

Here's the kobold Fighter move:

TEAM PLAYER

When you attack the same creature as one of your allies, you can choose to roll +[stat]. If you do:
  • on a 10+, you co-ordinate perfectly; both you and that ally take +1 forward.
  • on a 7-9, you distract the enemy but you're off-balance - your ally takes +1 forward and you take -1 forward.
  • on a miss, you've over-extended and put yourself in danger - the GM will tell you how.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 15, 2012

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So in the indie RPGs thread this was briefly discussed, but I am interested so I'll be ruminating on it: CyberWorld! Basically, Gibson/Stephenson/CP2020 (but not Shadowrun) using the AW engine.

The best part of that is that you don't even need to do much work, as most of the AW playbooks work. The only exception is the Brainer, because Weird makes more sense as Cyber. Instead of the Brainer, there will probably be a Decker playbook. I'm also thinking of replacing sex moves with Upgrade moves for each class that add stuff you can do with +cyber.

Anyway, here's the decking move:

When you access a secure system, roll +cyber. On a 10+, choose 3; on a 7-9, choose 1; on a miss, choose 1, but security is already on its way and you have to leave now:
- You have admin rights.
- The hack is quick.
- The hack is careful - no one knows you're in the system.
- The hack is untraceable (no one will go looking for you when the breach is found, but you can still be caught on the scene).

There'll probably be a move you can take called Console Cowboy that lets you hold +1, too.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 19, 2012

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Glazius posted:

Isn't hold usually, uh, held in reserve for the future? This sounds more like the "pick 3" thing that comes up with, say, seizing by force.

You're correct! Making it "choose X" also works better in general.

Thanks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Don't the choices contradict the failure? You can still choose one on fail, and one of the options is "nobody knows you're in the system" but yet security is still coming.

I thought of this, but the idea is actually that on a miss you still get what you came for, you just don't have the time to do anything else unless you picked "the hack is quick;" they know that someone is accessing the network from the location you're currently at, so you have to leave the place you're at or suffer the consequences.

By contrast, "the hack is untraceable" means that they don't have evidence to pin it on you after the facts - if you leave before security shows up, you got away clean.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I was more talking about "the hack is careful" option. As written it specifically notes that nobody knows you're in the system.. Untraceable is obvious, yes, that so long as you get out in time you're clear. And quick would let you get away from security more easily but probably leave evidence behind. But the apparent point of "the hack is careful" is to keep anyone from knowing you're there in the first place, which contradicts the failure automatically having security know you're there.

I mean, I guess you could just make players pick something else but I always find that distasteful personally.

Crap, you're right. :downs: Let's try this again.

When you access a secure system, roll +cyber. On a 10+, choose 2; on a 7-9, choose 1; on a miss, choose 1, but security is already on its way and you have to leave now:
- You have admin rights and can do whatever you want with the system.
- The hack is quick - you've got plenty of time left.
- The hack is careful - they don't get anything that links to you specifically when they find the intrusion.

Scrape posted:

Here was my hacking move:

When you Hack a Network, roll +Wired.
On a 10+, you slide past security and get what you came for.
On a 7-9, choose one:
...you got what you came for
...you weren't identified
On a Miss, neither, and now you've got a problem.

The reasons I don't like this are that it's possible to fail completely, and that your 7-9 feels like a "non-choice" - basically, on anything other than a 10+ you've most likely wasted a die roll. It'd be much better if your 7-9 were something like "you get what you came from, but choose one" and then offered "you weren't identified" and something else as the choices.

Also, I am stealing the hell out of +wired, that's a great idea. :toot:

e; also love your opening your mind to the Matrix move, I may also steal the hell out of that.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 19, 2012

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I think the idea is that "plenty of time" is subjective here. You get the hack done nice and fast so while you know security is on their way you still have time to get out of there before they show up while getting more or less what you came for.

Yeah, this is exactly the idea.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

We've all seen "Akira" here, right? :awesomelon:

Or played Shadowrun, which has an archetype dedicated to remote-controlling drones/blowing all your cash on turning a panel van into a tank. :science:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tasoth posted:

Go Ganger. All about speed, thrills and mashing people's face in. The only playbook I can think of that would difficult to port over is The Marmot.

The Cyberdaemon: you are an AI construct that lives in the Matrix. You investigate poo poo.

e; so basically MotW is Supernatural World? :swoon:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 20, 2012

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

You might need to adjust the hardboiled detective moves, though. I mean, they're hilarious, and perfect for a hardboiled detective, but that really doesn't seem like an inherent theme for a wintermute.

Self-improvement: when you spend time modifying your core programming, assimilate all of your data and roll+data assimilated. On a 10+, the MC chooses 3. On a 7–9, the MC chooses 2:
• You maintain some unassimilated data after all. Keep 1-data.
• No NPCs gently caress with your poo poo.
• You have strange dreams. Open your brain to the matrix, but roll+wired+data assimilated(!).
• Your subroutines grapple with your experiences. Mark experience.
• Your subroutines piece things together. Get 1-clue.
On a miss, the MC chooses 1 anyway, but you wake up starved for input. Take -1 ongoing until you spend significant time browsing the matrix in search of new experiences. When you miss a session, you automatically self-improve. The MC rolls for you.

I'm the matrix: when you take harm, make this move instead of making the normal harm move. Roll+harm taken. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7–9, choose 1:
• It’s not so bad. Take -1 harm.
• Someone present lets slip 1-clue.
• Take +1 forward against your attacker.
Treat a miss on this move as a 7–9 hit on the normal harm move.

On it: you get moonlighting and 2 gigs: data-hunting (1-data / starved for input) and investigating (1-clue / in too deep). You can add 1-juggling and an obligation gig if you like.

We don't go there anymore: when you trawl the seedy depths of the matrix, roll+cool. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7–9, choose 2:
• You get 1-data.
• Someone present lets slip 1-clue.
• You don’t end up in a difficult sitch.
• You don’t suffer the after-effects (-1 ongoing for the entire next day).
On a miss, hell, choose 1 anyway.

Search algorithms: when you sniff out a clue or follow a lead, roll+sharp. On a 10+, the MC chooses 1:
• An accomplice or witness confesses their guilty conscience to you.
• The guilty party confesses to you or attacks you.
• Choose 2 from the 7–9 list below.
On a 7–9, the MC chooses 1:
• You uncover the next clue. Get 1-clue.
• Someone threatens you or acts guilty.
• Someone leaves you a message or asks to talk with you in private.
• Someone offers you a bribe worth 1-barter.
On a miss, you get nothing but the attention of bad people.

Yeah, so it's not perfect and it could do with some work, but it maps surprisingly well. Not so much Wintermute as an AI construct designed to investigate stuff on the net.

e; If you and another character have (cyber) sex, you both take -1 forward for shame, unless they’re also a cyberdaemon or it’s true love.
If you and another character have (cyber) sex, roll+current data. On a hit, you scan enough of them to spawn a new construct. On a 10+, the construct is a fully-functional merge of you and them released into the matrix, but it develops its own personality. On a 7-9, it is merely a keepsake; it parrots a few soundbytes but that's it.
If they also have data, they might spawn a construct too, on the same terms.

e2; the biggest obstacle here is how do you have a character with no physical presence in AW? It can't be threatened in normal fights unless you're attacking the PCs' base.

At least in "cyber-combat" you can have harm represent damage to the PCs' reputation/accounts/whatever.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 21, 2012

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Scrape posted:

This is a really neat idea, but I think it bothers me that it might not match the fiction. Like, what if the player sets up a situation where they can take down their Target, regardless of the Lead?

Then they take down their Target! Fiction Trumps Rules, which doesn't mean you can't have rules in place to facilitate fiction; it means that if the two clash, you go with fiction.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Aw shucks. :shobon:

On a related note, I was thinking about the whole "defeat The Fucker once and for all" side of things, and what would happen to the character since his moves all revolve around hunting this guy down, and wouldn't be useful once he's dead.

Then I realized; it's already built into the AW system. Just take the swap to a new playbook or retire to safety advances and you're covered. Not a huge deal, but a happy coincidence.

Someone go ahead and write this "The Bride" playbook already.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

2) The Fucker doesn't have a countdown clock. Instead, he has a Lead on you. Lead starts at 6. Every time you defeat a Lieutenant or learn an important bit of information about The Fucker, you reduce the Lead by one. When you confront The Fucker (violently or not), you take -Lead ongoing until one of you is defeated or withdraws from the scene in some fashion.

What does -Lead do? What does lowering your Lead actually do? What happens when you reach 0-Lead?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Oh, right, I was thinking as in "you take an ongoing -1 to Lead" as opposed to "take your Lead as an ongoing malus." :downs:

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's already a mechanic in place to cover "switching over" when vengeance is done: the change your character to a new type and retire your character (to safety) advances. Maybe they open a bar as a form of retirement (Maestro D'). Maybe they start a new town as a substitute for a family (Hardholder). Maybe they turn to mercenary work (Battlebabe). Or maybe they just walk of into the sunset, never to be heard from again except in legends.

Probably a good idea to write this into the playbook itself as part of the bit explaining the Incident/Fucker, in the form of "when you kill or otherwise defeat the Fucker and have enough time to contemplate your victory, you immediately gain one advance that must be spent on taking one of either the change your character to a new type or retire your character (to safety) advances" or something, and one which clarifies that it lets you remake your dude and gain some kind of benefit in your new playbook.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 23, 2012

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

Player 4: "Man I wish you could do Dungeon World with Eclipse Phase, the setting rocks but the rules are too much..."

Me: :stare:

Yes. gently caress yes.

I wouldn't go for something like World of Dungeons, though - a straight up DW or AW hack would be good. Each morph should offer you +1 to one stat/mod and -1 to another and give you a Special move (no need for sex moves). You can go through the existing morphs and just pick the ones that stand out - they probably don't all deserve their own rules.

For playbooks: use Background and Faction as "classes" to translate into playbooks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This probably needs a fair bit less whitespace. Looks ace otherwise, though.

e; VVV ah, awesome, no complaints then. :)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 28, 2012

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

-A Hardholder could add some of the stats of his enclave to combat rolls the rest of the team makes if the others are holed up in the Hardholder's fortress.

I want a move called Bring Down the Fire that lets me use my hardhold defences in battle alongside the other players, now. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You still have broken BB code in there from three versions ago.

Also,

quote:

If the Lead ever reaches 10, then he's gotten away from you; you now take -1 ongoing to all rolls, lose access to all Revenant moves, and must immediately pick a new playbook.

This needs an end condition.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Not sure what you mean there. Unless you mean there should be a way for the character to get their old playbook back; I intended this to mean "once the Lead gets to large, he's gotten away from you forever and you've lost your shot at vengeance."

No, there should be a way for the -1 ongoing to go away. -1 is a huge penalty, and a permanent -1 is too much of a punishment - at that point there is no incentive whatsoever not to just ditch the character and make a new one (or quit the campaign if the GM won't let you).

No other playbook has a punishment like this, and it's not like this playbook's moves are super-powerful to contrast (and even if they were, it would still be bad design).

It should be "take -1 ongoing until you can come to terms with your lot in life and find a new purpose" or something.

Also, for the beating-the-Fucker move, I'd just make it make you lose all Lead and all of the playbook's moves instead of losing only some. The Lieutenants might still be out there, but your giving a drat is why you take +1 ongoing when fighting them.

e;

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh. In that case, no, there's no way to get rid of the -1. If you let the Lead get too high (and there's not that many ways for it to increase as it stands right now), then he's spent too much time faffing around and The Fucker has gotten away, and now you have to live with the fact that you failed in your mission and there'll be no justice for the loss of your old life.

Then this is like a Paladin Fall move with no Atonement option. While I suppose "Whenever you violate one of your God's Commandments, take 1-Sin. Whenever you haver more than 1-Sin, you Fall and take -1 ongoing" would make for a decent DW mechanic, it would also require "until you Atone" to not be completely insane.

e2; penalising you for not going after the Fucker first and foremost is a bad idea. You don't need to penalise people. The person who takes the Revenant playbook already wants to play "the Bride: AW edition" and will already go after the Fucker preferentially. Give the players a bit of trust.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 4, 2012

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tasoth posted:

Jeanne-Luc

Did you mean "Jean-Luc?"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

The Joseph Gordon Levvit: "Whenever you're around to just do the cool poo poo and look dapper..."

It's great, because Inception already had each character defined as "the X."

JGL is "the Pointman" and his job is to do security/research and be Cobb's second in command, incidentally.

e; the posters are all here: http://www.movieposterdb.com/movie/1375666/Inception.html

"The Investor" is better than "The Tourist," but Saito is more like "The Client" or maybe something else, depending on whether you want to make it more of a heist movie with some dashes of cyberpunk or more of a cyberpunk heist movie.

e2; the Shade should be a playbook and rewritten as a necessary part of any thought-heist.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 12, 2012

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

RACIAL MOVE: Krogan
-Biotic Charge = Once per combat, you may immediately close any amount of distance between you and an enemy

"Once per combat" doesn't really have a meaning in AW, and why roll d10 instead of 2d6? Also, you should phrase this like a *World move ("when you...").

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

Fixed I think? I always get the mistaken impression that the 1-10 results selection is supposed to be from a 1d10 instead of a 2d6+whatever. :downs:

Much better! It's 2d6+stat and not d10, yeah.

Also, if this is a DW-style racial move, it shouldn't be its own attack. Here's how I would phrase it if you want to make it a move that the Vanguard can select regardless of race:

InfiniteJesters posted:

BIOTIC CHARGE
When you use your biotic skills to close with an enemy you can see, ignore anything in the way (you phase through) and roll+biotic. On a 10+, you appear next to them and they take damage. On a 7-9, they take damage but you've opened yourself to a counter-attack you've put yourself in danger - the GM will tell you how. On a 6-, you miss entirely and plow into a wall or nearly sail off a cliff.

I've ditched the max damage; the move does not need it as it's already an attack with an extra advantage.

And here is what I would do to make it a Krogan racial move:

quote:

KROGAN VANGUARD
When you use Biotic Charge and deal damage, your enemy is thrown clear by the force of your impact.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, the ME class design falls around 3 core skills, with pairings possible. These are Combat, Tech, and Biotics.

Of note: there is no reason why you need four stats and thus no reason why you wouldn't just use those three as the stats.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Apocalypse World rocks because it's tabletop Borderlands.

It's more like tabletop Mad Max + Hell Comes to Frogtown + A Boy and His Dog.

The Siren would make a pretty cool playbook, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

(When you quip wittily in a fight, roll +Panache. On a 10+, pick three. On a 7-9, pick 2. On a 6-, pick one.

You get +1 forward against your target.
Your target gets -1 forward against you.
You don't anger them enough to escalate the conflict.)

This'd probably work better as 10+ pick two, 7-9 pick 1, 6- they laugh at you, -1 forward against them. More interesting narrative possibilities that way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

7th World

I'd love any comments on these basic moves - I am not really sure how to design them properly, they are hard!

These are fantastic, FWIW.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
To be honest, oxygen is a far more interesting resource to have scarcity of than technology.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rasamune posted:

Cool -> Water,
Hard -> Earth,
Sharp -> Wind,
Hot -> Fire,
Weird -> Void?

...yeah, that maps ridiculously well.

Come on, Mors; you probably wanted to get around to reviewing every single L5R book ever made in FATAL & Friends, I'm sure you can make World of the 5 Rings as well as 7th World at the same time, right?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

Foul
Roll +cunning to attack a defenseless opponent. On a hit, on a 10+ choose 2, on a 7-9 choose 1 option below:
- hurt opponent
- don't get spotted by ref

What is the point of attacking an opponent other than hurting them? Does it make them drop the ball or lose actions or whatever?

Because if not this is a non-choice.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

What do you think?

To do it, do it.

This sounds like a loving fantastic idea.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

oh god help me

i'm addicted to making washed-out monochrome apocworld-style portraits out of random drawings and pics

someone stop me before i hit the posterize button again

Post them in this thread or the Modrons thread instead of stopping.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Worst Muslim posted:

I want to hack up the rules for use in my own setting but my setting is completely mundane. No psychics, no magic and no weirdness. No technology either, as that is incredibly rare. What do I do?

Figure out the stats and what the basic moves are, then try to map the basic playbooks across, then see if you need to write more rules.

This applies for every single AW hack (figure out the fiction first before all that of course, but you already have).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

After playing a bunch of Dishonored, I've been toying with the idea of trying to put together a hyper-focused AW hack built around one-shots where all the players are members of a conspiracy centered around killing a prominent official (working title: The Grand Magus Must Die)

Playbook ideas so far:

The Usurper: you want to kill the Grand Magus to further your career. Moves based around being the man on the inside, but you need to stay out of the spotlight when poo poo Goes Down in order to make your move afterwards.

The Revolutionary: you want to kill the Grand Magus as the first step in tearing down the Mageocracy. Moves based around inspiration and followers, and you can further your agenda by ensuring you die gloriously when poo poo Goes Down.

The Wronged: you want to kill the Grand Magus because he has done great harm to you or someone you love. Moves based around iron determination, and you want to make sure that when poo poo Goes Down the GM knows exactly why you're killing him.

The Killer: you want to kill the Grand Magus because you're getting paid a lot of money to do it. Moves based around murderin' skills, and you want to make sure you get away clean when poo poo Goes Down.

The Inquisitor: you want to kill the Grand Magus for his crimes against reality, and have been empowered by The Church to do so. Moves based around being a counter-wizard, and you want to make sure you obtain Proof of Guilt when poo poo Goes Down.

Stat ideas: Rough Stuff, Fast Talk, Slick Moves, Iron Will, and Magical Bullshit, plus a sixth stat (Victory) that would build during play. When the dust settles, roll +Victory.

Instead of advancement there'd just be multiple options in the playbook, like the Killer could be a hired thug or a master of disguise, or the Wronged could trade martial skill in for having obtained unobtrusive employment in the Grand Magus' household.

Though I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't look into Fiasco instead.

I would definitely be interested in seeing this as an AW/DW hack. It sounds fantastic.

e; every time I reread this post it sounds more awesome. Please make it.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 30, 2012

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain_Indigo posted:

If I ran a Cyber World game on the forums would people be interested. It's a quick mod I've thrown together that is primarily about changing the names and concepts of characters to better reflect a Cyberpunk game.

-Hot is now Smooth
-Weird is now Wired
-The Psychic Maelstrom is The Nexus - a huge wireless internet cloud.
-Players can't change the stats or purpose of gear, but change what it is to suit their character/the atmosphere.

gently caress yes.

I may not be able to PbP in this but I will definitely be reading since it's a thing I have been thinking about for a while.

Although that last bit really does not need to be a special rule since this is how things work anyway.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MadRhetoric posted:

Yeah man, you really need to chill on that poo poo. It's hard to keep to the "no overlapping playbooks" rule when you take half of them.

And half of those aren't even on the list of allowed playbooks in the OP. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yessssssssssssss.

This is the best thing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Somebody talk me out of running Monsterhearts.

Run Monsterhearts!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

There've been some discussions on G+ lately about small RPG design (sparked by Vast & Starlit, which is abotu 450 words long), and it got me thinking: how small could a *World hack be? Could you get it into 400 words? 200?

How small are World of Dungeons and co.? I think that's about the right length to work, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
DTRPG takes close to 40% the sale price for itself.

More importantly, DTRPG has so much stuff on it that it's hard to get visibility for small indies. The Unstore is basically limited to indie RPGs only.

• Locked thread