Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
"Number Appearing" is such a neat-looking supplement for DW. The whole concept of playing as the monsters against the heroes raiding your home is cool to see fleshed out, but I especially like the Compendium Classes. They look flavorful and its great to see examples of them since the DW prelease doesn't have any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Crap, you're right. :downs: Let's try this again.

When you access a secure system, roll +cyber. On a 10+, choose 2; on a 7-9, choose 1; on a miss, choose 1, but security is already on its way and you have to leave now:
- You have admin rights and can do whatever you want with the system.
- The hack is quick - you've got plenty of time left.
- The hack is careful - they won't be able to pin it on you when they find the intrusion.

I'm seeing a bit of a weird contradiction with a miss meaning "security is already on its way and you have to leave now" yet being able to choose "you have plenty of time left."

These are all awesome ideas. I was brainstorming a cyberpunk-ish AW hack too, but it was more Deus Ex-inspired and based on everyone being cybered up to varying degrees.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Or have the (full?) bonus come into effect only in the presence of the Fucker or a Lieutenant. Shrug off the mooks, go straight for the leader.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Not sure how well EP and *World go together to me, but this came to mind anyways:

quote:

When you resist the Exurgent Virus, roll +Nano. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one.
-Your stack is not corrupted.
-You do not suffer X-harm.
-Nobody notices.
-You are not brainwashed.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

Does 3:16 with modified ApocWorld mechanics sound like a good idea to you guys?

3:16 setting using AW-style mechanics, or 3:16 crunch with AW-style mechanics added on? If its the latter, that just seems unnecessary to me. 3:16's built for a specific concept and adding moves or playbooks would just clog it up.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

Oh, okay.

The reason I proposed the idea was because A) someone in #badwrongfun had told me 3:16 had some wonky mechanics, and B) the abstracted weapon ranges in Apocalypse World seem pretty similar to those in 3:16.

Oh yeah, you could probably grab the tags and gear rules from AW and add them to 3:16 with minimal fuss. But beyond that you'd be messing with 3:16's very specific setup. It is pretty simple and I guess that could leave room for wonkyness.

I'm no mechanics expert though, just going by what I like.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
I could see a L5R hack though what I'm visualizing is more on the DW side of things. There'd be a playbook for each role (Bushi, Courtier, Shugenja, Ninja) and each would have 1-2 Clan moves like DW's Races, stats based on the elements ("When you seek inner calmness, roll +Void...") and so on.

Not sure about how to include Honor, Status and Taint though.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
I see you forgot to mention the nuclear hell raven in that lineup. :colbert:
Why do I recognize it :cripes:

The posterize function ins pretty awesome though. Instant savings in the art department when publishing your own book!

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Looks very much like the book art there, did you posterize then trace over the shapes/clean up the "splatters?"

Its so simple but fun. Here's the Juggernaut I was going to submit to Captain Foo's AW game, found after looking through Maschinen Krieger stuff.

And now I want something AW with a lot of power armor and cyborgs. Started brainstorming something based on a concept I found online a while back and an android RPG. PCs are either tortured cyborgs, the handlers assigned to watch them and maybe some other playbook. Thing is, I can think of a set of stats for the Cyborgs but they wouldn't work for non-Cyborgs too well.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Was looking for good "apoc"-y photos for inspiration and I found a treasure trove of abandoned places and things. So many ideas for places.

Speaking of which, any interest in a newbie PbP game of AW? I know there's 3 or 4 running at the moment so I'm not sure how many people here haven't played AW yet but want to get in on it.

Its that or trying my new copy of Monsterhearts out.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
All right, I'll try to have a thread up by Monday when I'll have more regular computer access.

Question for those MCing a game on the forums, what're you doing different? I'm thinking the whole "1st session" stuff and creating Fronts: did you use the questioning and general discussion in the recruitment thread as a proxy, start off in 1st session mode in the gamethread, or a bit of both?

Or am I just overthinking this?

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

What I did was ask every character as a question as they were submitted, hopefully drawing some worldbuilding information out of them. After I selected characters, the Hx rounds did their job as well, establishing some relationships. I started the thread beginning at the First Session with no Fronts written, and as we get to a good spot I'll probably "end" the "session," do the requisite between session work, and then start the Second Session, and continue from there.

Check out what I did here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513225

You'll see the progression through chargen and selection, and then you'll hit the link to the thread proper and see how it's going from there!

e- you were in that thread! I thought your name seemed familiar.

Thanks, this should help a lot. I was following the OOC and IC threads loosely but I'll take a closer look at how it builds together.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
I found Monsterhearts from the Walking Eye's AP of the game. Two episodes in I was hooked and picked up the PDF.

I'd probably be up for some Monsterhearts too. Online, that is. Seems like it'd be a hard pitch to most RL groups. Somebody should run a PbP of it :v:

ThreeStep fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Captain_Indigo posted:

If I ran a Cyber World game on the forums would people be interested. It's a quick mod I've thrown together that is primarily about changing the names and concepts of characters to better reflect a Cyberpunk game.

-Hot is now Smooth
-Weird is now Wired
-The Psychic Maelstrom is The Nexus - a huge wireless internet cloud.
-Players can't change the stats or purpose of gear, but change what it is to suit their character/the atmosphere.

It doesn't involve having to learn any new rules, but the setting and feel are very different. Would anyone be interested?

Yes, sounds neat. Can I be a cyborg/android with a torso-mounted arsenal (Gunlugger)? Or would that be more Ghost in the Shell than cyberpunk?

• Locked thread