Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«153 »
Vagabundo
Mar 20, 2007

Pon farr is never logical, Mr. Spock

Both sides played like teams that hadn't had any game time in about a month. Which is pretty much the case here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Yeah, this match has been pretty poor all round. Hopefully the SA vs ARG game will be better.

Neither side are renowned for free-flowing, attacking rugby. South Africa by 12 points, because Argentina will look to outmuscle the Boks but then fail spectacularly.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Darling, if it's for your sake, wherever you may go...

Only thing worth showing:

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Should've had Quade Cooper on for Kurtley Beale. The defense could hardly get any worse.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

Mister Chief posted:

Only thing worth showing:

That whole move was slick as hell.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Canu'r dydd a canu'r nos

Random pre-season friendly observations :

The new scrum system seems to really benefit one team over the other. I don't know why, but with every scrum, one team just seemed to hit with far more momentum than the other.

The referee didn't really seem to understand the changes. For the first twenty minutes, he started every scrum with "Touch - and - set", then changed it to "Touch - Set" for the second half. Now I'm not sure I really understand it either.

Five seconds is actually a really long time to make a pass out of the ruck. Nobody got penalized at all, although there were a few occasions where forwards we're forced to collect the ball at the back of the ruck, and had backs running up and screaming to them to pass the ball as quickly as possible. It seems the new rule really does just speed up the game, rather than creating more reasons to scrum.

I have witnessed several instances of Dan Biggar being a pretty cool human being.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Tyma posted:

Random pre-season friendly observations :

Did Grabham get on, and if so how did he do?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Canu'r dydd a canu'r nos

DickEmery posted:

Did Grabham get on, and if so how did he do?

He came on to a huge ovation with about 10 minutes to go, and scored with what must have been his first touch. He was playing on the left wing, and moved a lot faster than crowd (or the Bath defense) were expecting.

With 5 minutes to go, Matthew Morgan came on for Biggar, and the whole game turned on it's head. Morgan made a grubber kick that put Grabham in behind the defense, but he had an unlucky bounce into touch just as he was about to scoop it up. A minute or so later, Morgan put him in on another run, but he got bungled into touch by the full-back.

I think the general consensus is that instead of using him as a 3rd-string Scrum Half to cover for Rhys Webb during international tours, they should let him and Isaacs fight over the #11 shirt. He seems a natural replacement for Shane Williams, has Biggar to over-compensate for his lack of size on the defense, and has some great chemistry with Morgan.

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread

rolland is a total game killer, he needs to play more advantages instead of just blowing it up at the set piece as soon as something doesn't look quite perfect. i hate it when you're looking forward to a good game, and then right before kick-off the camera pans to the ref who you've completely forgotten about and you realise that they're going to star almost as much as the players.

what happened to rob simmons? He came on for an absolutely battered sitaleki timani and then i never saw him and timani was back on there.

so much for everyone ragging on argentina for their boring rugby, they have more balls with the ball in hand than SA ever will.

Vagabundo
Mar 20, 2007

So apparently Bismarck du Plessis is going to be out for a long time?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

elTeddy posted:

rolland is a total game killer, he needs to play more advantages instead of just blowing it up at the set piece as soon as something doesn't look quite perfect. i hate it when you're looking forward to a good game, and then right before kick-off the camera pans to the ref who you've completely forgotten about and you realise that they're going to star almost as much as the players.

what happened to rob simmons? He came on for an absolutely battered sitaleki timani and then i never saw him and timani was back on there.

so much for everyone ragging on argentina for their boring rugby, they have more balls with the ball in hand than SA ever will.

It was apparently a bloodbin for Timani at the start of the second half, pretty sure Simmons is ok.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Wallabies need to see a podiatrist because they are flat-footed as all hell.

LordPants
Mar 5, 2011

Four more years boys, four more years.

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Hopefully we play Cooper. Not because he's awesome or anything, but because it makes it more entertaining for spectators.

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Berrick needs to run to the line more and create a bit more confusion for defenders, their attack was crabbing side to side heaps.

Strange that Simmons didn't get more game time??? Timani was good at points but when someone's working that hard you really should sub them around the 50 minute mark.

Vagabundo
Mar 20, 2007

I'm wondering why Deans didn't go to the bench, especially with Beale playing that poorly. He really should have been pulled before the second half.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The South Africa vs Argentina game was like a mirror match.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

elTeddy posted:

Berrick needs to run to the line more and create a bit more confusion for defenders, their attack was crabbing side to side heaps.

It killed me to see Berrick have a pretty bad match, usually he is the beacon of consistency. Kurtley I wasn't too concerned about.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

Vagabundo posted:

So apparently Bismarck du Plessis is going to be out for a long time?

I feel bad for the guy but yessssss because gently caress he is a beast.

That OP was awesome - still amazed/laughing my rear end off at the penalty kick going backwards.

This "Rugby Championship" name is lame but their logo is pretty sweet.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I didn't notice Tyma had edited his post so these are a little late.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Canu'r dydd a canu'r nos

I hope someone has , because now I'm more confused about The Rugby Championship than I was before!

I was looking for a terrible Deviantart drawing of Sonny Bill Williams to stick infront of a giant anime flag, when I found this absolute gem of Japanese culture-gently caress :

Meisetsu High Scool Happy Time Gay Love Rugby Manga

Judging from the art-style, I'm guessing it takes about 20 pages to become .

Vagabundo
Mar 20, 2007

So it looks like Pocock's injured too. And with that, Australia's chances this year go

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

So it looks like Pocock's injured too. And with that, Australia's chances this year go

Well, they can take comfort that they will be the tri-nation champions for the rest of time (assuming Argentina stay).

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread

lmao. Have you seen this man? He's been known to get stuck in a mass of shoulderpads.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Mister Chief posted:

I didn't notice Tyma had edited his post so these are a little late.

Took me a second to realise what you'd done there, and it was probably only because I was thinking the same thing watching the test on Saturday.

Vagabundo
Mar 20, 2007

When Quade Cooper is being touted as the saviour of the Wallabies, you know they've hit a new low.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...0819-24gn4.html

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

When Quade Cooper is being touted as the saviour of the Wallabies, you know they've hit a new low.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...0819-24gn4.html

Considering how bad they were in the Wales test series (Wales were worse) I'm amazed they only lost by 8 points.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

I don't know why the sydney morning herald are kidding themselves on - Australia are not going to win at Eden Park. In fact, given the way things are going at the moment, the land of darkness might end up winning every game they play.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

The few, the proud, the 1%

Original Silvertail

"Sports Journalism"

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

We're still good at cricket right?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

ColtMcAsskick posted:

We're still good at cricket right?

Nope!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

So did nobody care about Steve Walsh's babying of the Argies? I would've thought there'd be more commentary on it. It was almost uncomfortable, even though I love Argentina to death.

Vagabundo
Mar 20, 2007

So Kirwan's unveiled the Blues coaching panel. It is John Kirwan as head coach, Grant Doorey who was his assistant when he coached Italy and Japan and two no-name scrubs that haven't won anything of any note ever called Graham Henry and Mick Byrne.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-coaching-staff

LordPants
Mar 5, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

So Kirwan's unveiled the Blues coaching panel. It is John Kirwan as head coach, Grant Doorey who was his assistant when he coached Italy and Japan and two no-name scrubs that haven't won anything of any note ever called Graham Henry and Mick Byrne.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-coaching-staff

No but seriously, an ex-Australian Rules Football player? Who was on the coaching team for the Wallabies and the All Blacks?

Vagabundo
Mar 20, 2007

LordPants posted:

No but seriously, an ex-Australian Rules Football player? Who was on the coaching team for the Wallabies and the All Blacks?

Byrne does skills and kicking coaching for the All Blacks, just so you know.

LordPants
Mar 5, 2011

I never doubted his credentials, just curious what he did. But I will admit that AFL is a sport that normally develops good kicking technique.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

LordPants posted:

I never doubted his credentials, just curious what he did. But I will admit that AFL is a sport that normally develops good kicking technique.

I don't know, perhaps they have tried and failed already, but I think the ARFU should also look at AFL players who might convert to rugby (full-backs and fly-halves could work quite well) since they seem to be low on developing their own talent. Not the established stars but perhaps young up and comers.

LordPants
Mar 5, 2011

15. Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs)
14. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
13. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)
12. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds, captain)
8. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
7. Michael Hooper (Brumbies)
6. Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

edit:

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

I don't know, perhaps they have tried and failed already, but I think the ARFU should also look at AFL players who might convert to rugby (full-backs and fly-halves could work quite well) since they seem to be low on developing their own talent. Not the established stars but perhaps young up and comers.

Karmichael Hunt was one of the worst Five Eighths in the world that I've seen, and he played a form of rugby. I'm not sure that an AFL player would be a worthwhile investment.

LordPants fucked around with this message at Aug 23, 2012 around 06:41

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

All Blacks by a lot.

LordPants
Mar 5, 2011

If Australia get even a bonus point out of this I'll get a new lovely horrible avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I'm Tom Waterhouse, and I'm sponsoring this poster in the Something Awful 2013 NRL thread.

www.tomwaterhouse.com

I'm a precious snowflake, dammit.

LordPants posted:

edit:

Karmichael Hunt was one of the worst Five Eighths in the world that I've seen, and he played a form of rugby. I'm not sure that an AFL player would be a worthwhile investment.

He was a spineless little poo poo that wasn't much of a kicker, I have no idea what the AFL saw in him. I don't think he's a great comparison for potential AFL converts.

«153 »