Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«153 »
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way or another.

Vagabundo posted:

Good one Quade, run right into Owen Franks. Because that can't go wrong at all.

Cooper: I'm gonna do this little fancy step
Franks: I'm gonna stand right here in front of you and I ain't moving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well it was better than last week but still a messy game. Australia scored ZERO though, that's pretty amazing.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Darling, if it's for your sake, wherever you may go...

Australia should be dropped.

EDIT: The last time that Australia were held scoreless by the All Blacks was 1962.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Canu'r dydd a canu'r nos

The matchup between Australia and Argentina is heating up!

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Well it was better than last week but still a messy game. Australia scored ZERO though, that's pretty amazing.

Fifty years since that happened last.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

The first time I saw Quade with ball in hand without kicking it away was the 79th minute.

Wallabies did well to hold the score to 22 considering they spent a fair chunk of time inside their own 22.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

khan!
Aug 3, 2010

"How do you feel about the game?"
Will Genia: "We got taught a lesson."

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

khan! posted:

"How do you feel about the game?"
Will Genia: "We got taught a lesson."

Poor Genia. He deserves a better team.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Plucky Brit posted:

Poor Genia. He deserves a better team.

Don't you mean Nathan Sharpe?

tongster
Jan 18, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A poorly-coached team of journeyman got their beans tonight. Their fuckin' beans.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

drat Argentina look well up for this.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Argentina look like a team from the 70s in the way they sort of fling the ball around when passing.

Is the sound really muffled because the crowd is so loud?

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at Aug 25, 2012 around 19:33

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Argentina look like a team from the 70s in the way they sort of fling the ball around when passing.

Is the sound really muffled because the crowd is so loud?

Yeah, the passing is pretty sloppy. It's working for them, though!

Edit: South African commentary bores me to tears, though.

Edit 2: Goddamn it Argentina! Your defence was so good the Springboks couldn't get close to a try, then you concede a charge down. South Africa will get a drop goal late and win the match. I hate supporting underdogs.

Plucky Brit fucked around with this message at Aug 25, 2012 around 20:35

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

drat it. Hope they thrash the Wallabies.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

A draw. Well done to Argentina, and if it wasn't for that one moronic piece of play they would've won and won well. Australia should be worried.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Dear Coach Meyer,

Please drop Morne Steyn and Zane Kirchener's useless asses.

Thanks,

Your Springbok Faithful

fakeedit: for fucks sake South Africa why do you insist on the high ball when it hasn't worked the entire game and you're making progress every time you spread it wide? Why are you sticking with a fly-half who is incapable of doing anything but the up and under (not to mention whose goal kicking is dubious at best?). I swear it seemed like the only time the ball went wide the entire game was when Morne wasn't at first receiver.

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

Any idea about what that trophy at the very end was? foxtel commentary cut out.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

butros posted:

fakeedit: for fucks sake South Africa why do you insist on the high ball when it hasn't worked the entire game and you're making progress every time you spread it wide? Why are you sticking with a fly-half who is incapable of doing anything but the up and under (not to mention whose goal kicking is dubious at best?). I swear it seemed like the only time the ball went wide the entire game was when Morne wasn't at first receiver.

From what I can see he's pretty much like post 2003 Wilkinson- solid in defense, good at kicking (not great, just good) and nullifies the back-line. No creativity, and no running game. Also, the idea of having three big ball carriers didn't work for most of the game- Argentina were ruining the Springboks at the breakdown.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

Argentina were ruining the Springboks at the breakdown.

Agreed 100%. I just saw a headline that said "Argentina holds Springboks to a draw" and honestly it should read the other way around. The Boks were very very lucky to have gotten away with the draw considering it came from a great individual effort by F Steyn.

Morne needs to be dropped, and Peter Grant brought up. Or Lambie to 10 and F Steyn to fullback. Like you said - the Argies kept the Boks forwards from breaking the gain line, and the only time SA looked dangerous was when the ball went wide which was only when Morne lost concentration and passed instead of kicking.

Also, glad to see Liebenberg get his first test cap, one of my favourite players and it's good to see him get some recognition.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Peter Grant has less of a running game than Steyn. Lambie makes way more sense or Goosen when he's fit.

Vagabundo
Mar 20, 2007

Pon farr is never logical, Mr. Spock

Grant's probably on the way to Japan in time for this year's Top League and if I were in his position, I'd be telling Meyer to go gently caress himself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dammit, I missed the game. Good on Argentina, they may give Australia a run for their money after all.

Vagabundo
Mar 20, 2007

Pon farr is never logical, Mr. Spock

South Africa did well to get away with a draw. Argentina should be disappointed with that result because they let that one get away.

As for Australia, where do you go from there? In all fairness to Deans, he has picked the best players available to him but something has gone horribly wrong with rugby in that country. Australia are basically turning into Wales - good first XV, but injuries can be devastating, more so than other countries. In all this, they've found that Sitaleki Timani is probably an international class lock and Michael Hooper can go at the test level. But holy poo poo, a lot of their other players are simply not at the required standard or are letting themselves down by being dumb as dogshit.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Thel posted:

The first time I saw Quade with ball in hand without kicking it away was the 79th minute.

Wallabies did well to hold the score to 22 considering they spent a fair chunk of time inside their own 22.

They spent most of the 2nd half kicking the ball away. Their reasoning behind this escapes me.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Canu'r dydd a canu'r nos

02/02/11 - Gavin Henson fired from Saracens
24/04/11 - Gavin Henson fired from Toulon
02/04/12 - Gavin Henson fired from Cardiff Blues

25/08/12 - Gavin Henson begins London Welsh career in a friendly match against The Scarlets. Is injured by Deacon Manu within a minute of kick-off.

-

I'm expecting a new reality show to be announced within the next 3 days.

julian assflange
Jul 29, 2010

Didn't realize it until today but Doug Howlett has a berth just a few yard down from ours at the yacht club. Greeted him this afternoon and only realized it was him when I got in the car

julian assflange
Jul 29, 2010

Tyma posted:

25/08/12 - Gavin Henson begins London Welsh career in a friendly match against The Scarlets. Is injured by Deacon Manu within a minute of kick-off.

-

Yeah but he is keen to make amends this time, for real, again.

julian assflange fucked around with this message at Aug 26, 2012 around 18:22

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread

who is this stud

WMain00
Oct 7, 2008

You can't cut back posting! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Tyma posted:

-

Confirmed and out for 6 weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19387440

Oh Henson, you fucktard.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

WMain00 posted:

Confirmed and out for 6 weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19387440

Oh Henson, you fucktard.

At least Wales' spectacularly overrated talent is never in contention for the national side again. God help England if Cipriani ever plays at 10; the media seem obsessed with him but he's awful. Not just his defence, he's poo poo in any form of contact and conceded large volumes of tries through soft charge-downs. I have faith that Lancaster won't select him, but that doesn't stop me worrying.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Plucky Brit posted:

At least Wales' spectacularly overrated talent is never in contention for the national side again. God help England if Cipriani ever plays at 10; the media seem obsessed with him but he's awful. Not just his defence, he's poo poo in any form of contact and conceded large volumes of tries through soft charge-downs. I have faith that Lancaster won't select him, but that doesn't stop me worrying.

I remember when Cipriani signed to play for the Rebels. I thought I would finally get to see the guy that had a controversial reputation. From what I read it sounded like Cipriani played like Cooper or Spencer and so the English fans didn't like him because they prefered a more traditional 10.

But after watching him play for a few games I realised he just wasn't that good at any of it.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

His problem was that he tried to play like Cooper or Spencer but lacked the basic skills, athletic ability and general aptitude to play like either. I think English supporters would love a 10 in that sort of mould, and the hype around Cipriani reflected that in a way. Well, that and having sex with Kelly Brook I suppose.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Andy Robinson?

In non horse news, Dan Carter has joined twitter and Albie Mathewson has fled from Piri Weepu once again, this time to the force.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at Aug 28, 2012 around 01:56

artshavin
Apr 11, 2012

toot
and
salute

edinbro rugby

What in all of everything that is amazing is THIS

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

http://supporters.wru.co.uk/matchda.../index/id/12619

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Leigh is such a dreamboat.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Canu'r dydd a canu'r nos

That advertising campaign is weird, because we already know that "our way" involves training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber from Dragonball Z.

Part of me wants to go see Wales vs Australia, but I'm so disheartened by missing out on Wales / NZ tickets, and 'The Summer Of Priestland' test matches :{

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Tyma posted:

That advertising campaign is weird, because we already know that "our way" involves training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber from Dragonball Z.

Part of me wants to go see Wales vs Australia, but I'm so disheartened by missing out on Wales / NZ tickets, and 'The Summer Of Priestland' test matches :{

I'll be amazed if Wales win any of their SANZAR games. I'm going to guess a draw in one, then two agonising last minute defeats in the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moody
Apr 24, 2005

So I've been following this thread, and the OP is fantastic, but is there any love around these parts for the English Domestic game? I know we're well behind the times with things like relegation and salary caps which mean we can't just sign players to massive contracts on a whim and then operate our clubs at massive losses (not that it stops some clubs) but on its day I think it's up there with Super Rugby in terms of quality and intensity.

I can probably scrape together a preview later this week if there's interest?

«153 »