Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Loved TA so I threw 40$ at this!
Checking my backed projects I do feel I'm going a bit overboard with the whole kickstarter thing :| (Wasteland, Carmageddon, Dead State,Shadowrun, Grim Dawn and now this ...). Maybe I should back one that actually fails for a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker
It's pretty crazy how fast the money's pouring in. When I made the thread around mid afternoon local time it was sitting at around 70K. It's just past 11 PM now and they're about to hit 150k. I really hope it goes over and they get a few million.

EDIT:

Here's a reddit thread where one of the developers answers a ton of questions about the game:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/y9yqy/uber_entertainment_presents_planetary/

Oh look they just broke 150k.

sgnl05 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 16, 2012

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

It'd be nice if we could tag donations with GOONS to see how much we donated collectively.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
We could set location to Somethingawful, it shows up in the backers list.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm terrible at RTS games, but I loved Supreme Commander. It was so cleverly designed.

Being able to automate production to the point that a mixed force was consistently being transported to the front lines felt rad, and it also made it possible for me to focus on the fighting. My usual problem with RTS is that I can't multitask; as soon as the fighting breaks out, my base languishes because I can't think about both at once.

I also liked the clean, bright look and scale, and this seems to be even more striking. The lower detail look is probably being done for the sake of easing the art production burden, but it looks cool, and it should be easy to differentiate units. I'm not thrilled about the teal and orange color palette, but what are you gonna do?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

This is gonna be awesome, It's a shame that Chris Taylor isn't working on it becuase he was good at balancing and making these games feel fun but on the other hand he had a horrible habit of losing all his money and then having to sell all his IPs to keep his company going.

But yeah donate shitloads of money to this becuase it's gonna OWN.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Oh my god, this needs to happen. Throwing $100 their way when I get paid next.

They're at $170k and it's been open for a few hours! I think this is a good indication of how much everybody wants this game to be made.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Love the concept of the game but the art style looks like spore. It's like TA+Spore and I'm not feeling it :(

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
This does look like quite a cool and neat concept. My biggest fear is Uber Entertainment, since like another poster said before, Super MNC was pretty disappointing. I think I'll probably end up backing it, though, it looks unique enough and they seem to really have a passion for it.

Although some of the games on their "resumé" are pretty suspect...

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I would love a city-building game with this premise (expanding to multiple planets and whatnot).

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

ChewyLSB posted:

This does look like quite a cool and neat concept. My biggest fear is Uber Entertainment, since like another poster said before, Super MNC was pretty disappointing. I think I'll probably end up backing it, though, it looks unique enough and they seem to really have a passion for it.

Although some of the games on their "resumé" are pretty suspect...

As I recall Super MNC was made pretty much to get some more money out of the MNC engine without really needing to do anything else with it. a lot of Uber Entertainment (as has been said) are all industry vets, some of whom have worked on exceedingly good RTS games in the past. This game being good is pretty much a sure thing to be honest.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man. This game looks awesome. I cannot loving wait to attach engines to asteroids and launch them at planets.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Super MNC is awesome, sorry.

Apathetic Medic
Apr 22, 2010

Fun Shoe

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
You hurt my feelings so I'm going to fly a space rock into your crotch.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm in for $50. A SupCom where you can actually see units instead of icons sounds like a good game to me.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
What I love most about this is the whole playing on the curvature of the planet, Mario Galaxy style. I've been waiting for an RTS to do this forever, where I'm not on a flat map but a globe I can spin around and actually feel like I'm playing on an epic scale.

The whole positioning bases on moons and throwing asteroids around is really just the cherry on the three layer cake. Definitely donating to this, really hoping they meet their goal (though it does seem a bit high).

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Canadian Surf Club posted:

What I love most about this is the whole playing on the curvature of the planet, Mario Galaxy style. I've been waiting for an RTS to do this forever, where I'm not on a flat map but a globe I can spin around and actually feel like I'm playing on an epic scale.

The whole positioning bases on moons and throwing asteroids around is really just the cherry on the three layer cake. Definitely donating to this, really hoping they meet their goal (though it does seem a bit high).

Games with worse production values and lower overheads than this have asked for a lot more and got it so this isn't really too much to ask for.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I was really disappointed by Supreme Commander and especially Supreme Commander 2 and I think it was primarily the lack of a zillion different types of units like TA had.

In TA you would decide, "I know, I will build a giant wave of submersible tanks followed up by a massive airstrike" and you could do that if you wanted. Or you could decide to build an army made up of a huge selection of just mechs or just vehicles or whatever. In the Supcom games it never felt like there was much variety in what you could build in comparison so it felt really bland to me.

Here's hoping they add tons of different units right off the bat in this one. I've put my $15 down.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
This might be the first kickstarter I actually jump in on. Everything so far looks great, and I'm a sucker for TA/supcom style RTS's.

I even like supcom2 despite the fact that the economy plays completely different. The way you can customize your army or even turn your commander into the center of your war machine is just too cool.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Squibbles posted:

I was really disappointed by Supreme Commander and especially Supreme Commander 2 and I think it was primarily the lack of a zillion different types of units like TA had.

In TA you would decide, "I know, I will build a giant wave of submersible tanks followed up by a massive airstrike" and you could do that if you wanted. Or you could decide to build an army made up of a huge selection of just mechs or just vehicles or whatever. In the Supcom games it never felt like there was much variety in what you could build in comparison so it felt really bland to me.

Here's hoping they add tons of different units right off the bat in this one. I've put my $15 down.

Problem is TA had terrain differences and Supcom didn't. In TA K-Bots existed because some terrain was too steep for the more heavily armed and armoured tanks to traverse. Supreme commander didn't have this and as such there was basically only tanks. My guess would be it'll be robots and tanks in PA for similar reasons to why it was in TA.

Also, don't hold Supcom2 against any of the supcom 1 devs, Chris Taylor had to sell the rights to supcom after space siege was a complete steaming dump to keep the company afloat and Square enix made them do all kinds of horrible poo poo. I think Chris Taylors vision for supcom2 originally was just to do supcom 1 again but even bigger and more epic and awesome.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Even more triangles and squares and diamonds!

Seriously the worst part of Supcom was you never actually got to see combat, at least, if you were trying to play it with any modicum of skill.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Problem is TA had terrain differences and Supcom didn't. In TA K-Bots existed because some terrain was too steep for the more heavily armed and armoured tanks to traverse. Supreme commander didn't have this and as such there was basically only tanks. My guess would be it'll be robots and tanks in PA for similar reasons to why it was in TA.

Also, don't hold Supcom2 against any of the supcom 1 devs, Chris Taylor had to sell the rights to supcom after space siege was a complete steaming dump to keep the company afloat and Square enix made them do all kinds of horrible poo poo. I think Chris Taylors vision for supcom2 originally was just to do supcom 1 again but even bigger and more epic and awesome.

Yeah SupCom2 was defintely way way worse but I was never as drawn into SupCom1 as I was with TA way back then either. With TA I would get together with my friends and play massive 4 player 12 hour long games that only ended because of a game desync or someone's computer would crash or whatever. Supcom just never had that same draw for me.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Eej posted:

Even more triangles and squares and diamonds!

Seriously the worst part of Supcom was you never actually got to see combat, at least, if you were trying to play it with any modicum of skill.

Yeah well the stupid game's engine was made to actively punish micromanaging so there was no reason to see the combat.

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
If they get the same guy that did the soundtrack for TA I will pay them. Otherwise I remain skeptical because supcom was such a mess.

Seriously though that's a really cool art style. The explosions especially are really nice. The control scheme should be interesting but it looks really workable.

Ok I just got to the part in their intro video where they launched reinforcements out of a giant cannon mounted on the loving moon. :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhEYvOYceNs

Watch that poo poo.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker
I really don't get the grumbling about the art style. They've said that the whole point was to help convey information easily and in any case, something silly and cartoony seems incredibly appropriate for something so ludicrously over the top. It's like people are totally ok with strapping rocket boosters to asteroids to turn them into huge missiles but then they look at the art style and go "gee... those robots don't look very realistic!"

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If people don't like stuff that is straight-forward and streamlined, why does apple keep making money???

Seriously though the art style is great, reminds me a lot of the BLUEF from Supcom :v

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

They posted an update thing that answers a few basic questions:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts/posts

Of course everyone is asking for a linux port :rolleyes:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
64bit support is pretty sweet. It'll be nice not having a game that crashes when it tries to use over 2gb of memory.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Monster w21 Faces posted:

SMNC has its strong points and is pretty fun when you get into some good matches but it also has been plagued with balance issues the developers haven't been able to shake off, and a limited number of heroes and maps. Instead of hunkering down and focusing on that stuff, they instead decide to release a ton of new (unpolished) game modes and to split the already tiny player base four or five ways so it takes forever to join a game. Because of this, more people stop playing and the dilluted playerbase grows ever smaller. The game is at least a third as active now as it was three of four months ago. SMNC is disappointing because it has a lot of potential and Uber does all the wrong things with it.

PlotDevice posted:

If they get the same guy that did the soundtrack for TA I will pay them. Otherwise I remain skeptical because supcom was such a mess.

Jeremy Soule did the soundtrack for TA. You may have heard of him. He's probably WAY outside of their budget, unfortunately.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Games with worse production values and lower overheads than this have asked for a lot more and got it so this isn't really too much to ask for.

How many games have asked for more than 900k and got it?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 17, 2012

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Jeremy Soule did the soundtrack for TA. You may have heard of him. He's probably WAY outside of their budget, unfortunately.

Maybe he could be a stretch goal. :ohdear:

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!

Wingless posted:

title suggestions

Planetary Annihilation: I'm from Buenos Aries, and I say kill em all

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He's also done the soundtrack for a ton of other games, including supcom I think. Nothing he's done since Total Annihilation has been half as good in my humble opinion.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Monster with 21 faces has come into the thread to say how good this game is.

Other good games according to him.
SMNC
Xcom 1950s remake
Brink
APB

Welp, there goes my want to donate to this project.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

InterFaced posted:

He's also done the soundtrack for a ton of other games, including supcom I think. Nothing he's done since Total Annihilation has been half as good in my humble opinion.

My signed copy of the Skyrim soundtrack disagrees strongly with you.

Everything he's ever done is fantastic, which is why he's (unfortunately) probably beyond their payroll.

Very interested in this, and would put 15 in if I could afford it.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Everything he's ever done is fantastic, which is why he's (unfortunately) probably beyond their payroll.

He's an artist, not a banker. He's probably not above cutting somebody a break if he likes the project enough.

I mean, Total Annihilation was his first big break into video games.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 17, 2012

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

LemonRind posted:

Planetary Annihilation: I'm from Buenos Aries, and I say kill em all

This a million times

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Sky Shadowing posted:

My signed copy of the Skyrim soundtrack disagrees strongly with you.

Don't get me wrong, as far as video game composers go he's by far my favorite. I've enjoyed and appreciated his work since TA, I just haven't liked it as much. I think a large part of it is the way TA would switch from base building chill music to brassy battle themes based on what was happening. Not many games have done that since.

Edit: VVV good point, I agree entirely. Total Annihilation owned.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 17, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

InterFaced posted:

I think a large part of it is the way TA would switch from base building chill music to brassy battle themes based on what was happening. Not many games have done that since.

Well a lot of games these days do switch to different music tracks when you start fighting, but they never seem to pull off the transition very well. The way it was implemented in TA, it felt like the music was building to a crescendo rather than lurching and switching from atmospheric to heavy metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

LemonRind posted:

Planetary Annihilation: I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill em all

Fixed the typo but seriously, this is the best choice.

• Locked thread