Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Or TA:Balanced Annihilation which is really sweet as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So I just picked this up a few days ago and I'm getting my poo poo stomped in by normal AI. In my fourth game I managed to get to a moon before anybody else and built a bunch of engine on in, intending to smash it into the enemy planet. But the huge command structure can't be placed. Is that something that's just broken right now?

You build Halley's on a moon that is movable. Are you mistakenly trying to build Catalysts instead?

Here is a tutorial on planet smashing:
http://pamatches.com/tutorials/how-to-destroy-planets-with-the-halley/

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Huhm ok. Yeah I built the number of Halley's that are required but I thought I needed the Catalyst in order to turn the planet into a projectile. What is the Catalyst used for then?

Edit: Never mind, I just looked it up.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 9, 2014

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I think this game is good for $15. I bought it for $30 and was a bit disappointed at the time because I really hated the online servers and the fact that they had load issues at the time.

The people who don't like this game are always saying that SupCom or TA Spring are better. Possibly they are for a dedicated RTS player. But I didn't like SupCom and trying to play TA now if you've never played it before is just awful. That game had bad UI when it was made in the 90s, and while I have some issues with PA in that area (hate the hotkey system) it's at least made for modern screen resolutions.

I thumbs-up this game as a very casual player of RTS games. It's fun right off the bat, which for me is a big contrast to the other two options.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Klyith posted:

The people who don't like this game are always saying that SupCom or TA Spring are better. Possibly they are for a dedicated RTS player. But I didn't like SupCom and trying to play TA now if you've never played it before is just awful. That game had bad UI when it was made in the 90s, and while I have some issues with PA in that area (hate the hotkey system) it's at least made for modern screen resolutions.

Really? I always thought it was pretty unanimous when TA came out that it had, by far, the best UI ever made for an RTS game at the time. With its infinite shift-click chain order system, ability to queue multiple chained waypoints for units and even unproduced units coming straight from factories. That poo poo was pretty loving revolutionary. The TA interface was pretty much the gold standard that all future RTS games were measured against. At least at the time anyways. I havent really played many RTS games recently. Whats so bad about the original TA UI? If I remember right it even had a bit of automation in it, like if you put your construction bot on patrol it would auto-repair and auto-harvest resources for you. That was pretty drat nice to have.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Really? I always thought it was pretty unanimous when TA came out that it had, by far, the best UI ever made for an RTS game at the time. With its infinite shift-click chain order system, ability to queue multiple chained waypoints for units and even unproduced units coming straight from factories. That poo poo was pretty loving revolutionary. The TA interface was pretty much the gold standard that all future RTS games were measured against. At least at the time anyways. I havent really played many RTS games recently. Whats so bad about the original TA UI? If I remember right it even had a bit of automation in it, like if you put your construction bot on patrol it would auto-repair and auto-harvest resources for you. That was pretty drat nice to have.

It had wonderful and revolutionary features, and was absolutely unintuitive for someone new to that type of game.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I guess I'm talking more about the surfacing, compared to for example starcraft. Stuff like queued orders and such I wouldn't exactly call "UI". Those are amazing gameplay capabilities, but the interface to basic actions isn't great. The amount of stuff in the game is apt to produce information overload, which is just a bad feeling in a RTS.

I'm not hating on TA, but I'm not going back to it. I couldn't get into it in the first place.

Take these as the opinions of someone who always had the RTS fairly low on my list of favorite genres. Homeworld is on my top 5 of all time, but that's the least RTS-y RTS ever made.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 10, 2014

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Klyith posted:

I guess I'm talking more about the surfacing, stuff like queued orders and such I wouldn't exactly call "UI". Those are amazing gameplay capabilities, but the interface to basic actions isn't great. The amount of stuff in the game is apt to produce information overload, which is just a bad feeling in a RTS.

I'm not hating on TA, but I'm not going back to it. I couldn't get into it in the first place.

Take these as the opinions of someone who always had the RTS fairly low on my list of favorite genres. Homeworld is on my top 5 of all time, but that's the least RTS-y RTS ever made.

Yeah I actually agree with you on this. The exponential growth in TA eventually made it micromanagment hell if you were on a huge map or something. I always liked having 2 humans controlling the same player simultaneously. One guy could do econ and base defense, while the other just managed the army. Doing all that yourself on a huge map with a huge pop limit was totally overwhelming after like the 30 minute mark.

Jesus, you could even have like 4 humans playing the same side if you wanted to. If you really got into it and microed everything to death, a human player could literally spend 100% of his time just managing aircraft and bombing raids and nothing else.

That actually might be kinda fun. Player 1 = Navy only. Player 2 = Airforce. Player 3 = Army. Player 4 = econ and base defense. Do that poo poo on a huge core prime map vs 7 allied AI's and you could have a pretty fun game on your hands.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Jesus, you could even have like 4 humans playing the same side if you wanted to. If you really got into it and microed everything to death, a human player could literally spend 100% of his time just managing aircraft and bombing raids and nothing else.

That actually might be kinda fun. Player 1 = Navy only. Player 2 = Airforce. Player 3 = Army. Player 4 = econ and base defense. Do that poo poo on a huge core prime map vs 7 allied AI's and you could have a pretty fun game on your hands.

So as I said up-thread, the reason I got PA is that I have a friend who is really into it. He did the kickstarter and played on and off since alpha. When I got it we played some compstomps together so I could get an accelerated intro to the game. We didn't deliberately split things up, but one game we decided to start on different planets and all 3 AIs chose his planet as well. So I ended up playing almost pure economy on my planet, dumping units to him through a teleporter to hold his defensive enclave as long as possible until I could get nukes done. Little did we know the AI had also been building nukes...

I'll say that one major plus for this game is that the AI is good enough to make playing against fun.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Klyith posted:

So as I said up-thread, the reason I got PA is that I have a friend who is really into it. He did the kickstarter and played on and off since alpha. When I got it we played some compstomps together so I could get an accelerated intro to the game. We didn't deliberately split things up, but one game we decided to start on different planets and all 3 AIs chose his planet as well. So I ended up playing almost pure economy on my planet, dumping units to him through a teleporter to hold his defensive enclave as long as possible until I could get nukes done. Little did we know the AI had also been building nukes...

I'll say that one major plus for this game is that the AI is good enough to make playing against fun.

Isn't the guy who did the AI for PA a modder who completely re-wrote the SupCom AI to be good?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

RFC2324 posted:

Isn't the guy who did the AI for PA a modder who completely re-wrote the SupCom AI to be good?

Yes. Sorian did the AI for both.

Also, the offline patch with improved pathfinding came out today. The talk of the town is that it is awesome and makes the game so much better as it eliminates lots of the lag in the game.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I only just got the game a few days ago and I can see the difference already. The AI feels dumber though. Kept tossing nukes into my anti-nukes as I steadily built up a massive laser to crush them with.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Nalin posted:

Yes. Sorian did the AI for both.

Also, the offline patch with improved pathfinding came out today. The talk of the town is that it is awesome and makes the game so much better as it eliminates lots of the lag in the game.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet, although it gets CPU intensive. I randomly started an 8 player team game with myself and a bunch of AIs. Took control of the laser planet, and the game kinda slowed down a lot while I was building up cause of the number of units and then it crashed as I was blowing up each other planet in turn.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I only just got the game a few days ago and I can see the difference already. The AI feels dumber though. Kept tossing nukes into my anti-nukes as I steadily built up a massive laser to crush them with.

I don't think the AI handles planet assaults well, and I think it knows this. So if you give it a reason to want to be on a planet badly, but stop its first few TP sneak attempts, it gives up and just starts trying to nuke the poo poo out of you. Hoping it will win the eco war.

I have taken metal planets out of my comp stomps as the AI's behaviors around them are fairly exploitable. At least at the low to medium difficultly settings.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
Here's a Supreme Commander Gold Edition Steam key: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=pmSVaF4wBvHa56EB

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Wax Dynasty posted:

Here's a Supreme Commander Gold Edition Steam key: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=pmSVaF4wBvHa56EB

Thanks!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nalin posted:

You build Halley's on a moon that is movable. Are you mistakenly trying to build Catalysts instead?

Here is a tutorial on planet smashing:
http://pamatches.com/tutorials/how-to-destroy-planets-with-the-halley/
Ok looking at the info:

"Once to the moon, use an Advanced Fabricator to build the proper number of Halleys. When enough Halleys are build, enter the celestial view and you’ll see a ready indicator next to your moon. Click on that moon in the upper right and then click “Annihilate.” Next select the planet side target and click the “Engage” button that will appear at the bottom of the screen."

I tried this and had enough Halleys built (the 3 outlines were filled in) and I was able to click on the moon in the upper right but there was no Annihilate button.

Every video I can find on this just shows an older UI with a drop down, not the same as the one in the game now.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So I just picked this up a few days ago and I'm getting my poo poo stomped in by normal AI. In my fourth game I managed to get to a moon before anybody else and built a bunch of engine on in, intending to smash it into the enemy planet. But the huge command structure can't be placed. Is that something that's just broken right now?
I thought the catalysts only let you build death star lasers on metal planets? Am I wrong?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I wasn't aware of the death star lasers when I posted that. As usual I dove into a game without doing any tutorials or looking anything up, preferring to learn as I go.

Being able to play this on a LAN is pretty drat awesome. My buddy and I were able to hold off four AI on our little moons until we had built up the forces needed for a true planetary assault. The game ended when I sacrificed my moon the smash into the AI's last planet. drat thing was too defended.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Cardboard Box A posted:

Ok looking at the info:

"Once to the moon, use an Advanced Fabricator to build the proper number of Halleys. When enough Halleys are build, enter the celestial view and you’ll see a ready indicator next to your moon. Click on that moon in the upper right and then click “Annihilate.” Next select the planet side target and click the “Engage” button that will appear at the bottom of the screen."

I tried this and had enough Halleys built (the 3 outlines were filled in) and I was able to click on the moon in the upper right but there was no Annihilate button.

Every video I can find on this just shows an older UI with a drop down, not the same as the one in the game now.
The dropdown is still there, and is where the button to activate halleys/fire death stars resides. You just have to click the little V next to the compact planet icon list.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Klyith posted:

I think this game is good for $15. I bought it for $30 and was a bit disappointed at the time because I really hated the online servers and the fact that they had load issues at the time.

I thumbs-up this game as a very casual player of RTS games. It's fun right off the bat, which for me is a big contrast to the other two options.
If you're looking for TA/SupCom for casuals, you might want to pick up SupCom 2 next time it's on sale. It gets a lot of bad rap because it's, well, SupCom for casuals, but as a lover of both TA and casualness I consider it worth picking up.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Splicer posted:

If you're looking for TA/SupCom for casuals, you might want to pick up SupCom 2 next time it's on sale. It gets a lot of bad rap because it's, well, SupCom for casuals, but as a lover of both TA and casualness I consider it worth picking up.

Honestly my probelm with Supcom 2 was the campaign. Supcom 1 and FA had decent campaigns that were good to play through every now and then, but Supcom 2 was really, really bad, especially in terms of voice acting. Once they patched up the economy to be closer to the other games, Supcom 2's skirmish was pretty good, if smaller scale.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I think SupCom 2 is a okay game, it just shouldn't be called Supreme Commander because that creates the wrong expectations. Clearly inspired by, but too different to share the name. Maybe they shoulda called it Adequate Commander.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Stick Insect posted:

I think SupCom 2 is a okay game, it just shouldn't be called Supreme Commander because that creates the wrong expectations. Clearly inspired by, but too different to share the name. Maybe they shoulda called it Adequate Commander.

I was told going into it that it was more like DEFCON if it let you build ground units. Because that's what most AI matches ended up as anyways I ended up having fun. There's also a mod that adds in almost all the Supcom FA units that helps the factions feel unique.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

I was told going into it that it was more like DEFCON if it let you build ground units. Because that's what most AI matches ended up as anyways I ended up having fun. There's also a mod that adds in almost all the Supcom FA units that helps the factions feel unique.

That's kind of what PA feels like. Everyone has the same types of units and every game is who can build the most nukes/death star/mobile moon to kill the enemy in one shot. In the few online games I've taken part in I've only seen an enemy commander die to normal firepower once and only because the guy tried to land him on a moon with an umbrella system without scouting it first.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Uber has started doing some video updates. In it, they talk about the next couple releases of PA and what they are working on.
The two biggest things people would care about :
  • Ranked leagues (Bronze, Silver, Gold)
  • Symmetrical maps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqKBGBQHLJU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
In uber news, human resources is dead.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/human-resources-an-apocalyptic-rts-game/posts

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That's a pity. Human Resources looked entertaining. Especially being able to cut a city in half. That looked awesome.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah, I was hoping it would pull through. It was a more conventional RTS like Command and Conquer with multiple factions, which would probably have a bigger player base than something designed off of Total Annihilation.

Sorian is the one working on symmetrical planets. They are north/south mirrored and, according to him, there will probably be at least four options:
  • Symmetrical terrain
  • Symmetrical objects (cracks, mountains, etc)
  • Symmetrical metal
  • Symmetrical spawns

Here is his WIP of just symmetrical terrain:

Here is also the bronze and silver rank badges being worked on:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
They also promised that their map editor was so good and easy to use we could make flat maps with it no problem before PA came out. Whatever happened to that I wonder.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Does the game have .sing yet?

Of all things that's what I'm mostly annoyed at.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nalin posted:

Yeah, I was hoping it would pull through. It was a more conventional RTS like Command and Conquer with multiple factions, which would probably have a bigger player base than something designed off of Total Annihilation.
Total Annihilation isn't exactly obscure.

Their problem was that PA has been a PR disaster because it isn't very good. Trying to bilk mostly-disappointed people for coins is not a very good plan.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I really wish the order of the Kickstarters had been reversed. Human Resources looked like a much more interesting RTS, mostly because it has actually different factions (come on PA - even Total Annihilation had slightly different factions) and maps that aren't a pain in the rear end to play on.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

DatonKallandor posted:

They also promised that their map editor was so good and easy to use we could make flat maps with it no problem before PA came out. Whatever happened to that I wonder.
When did they promise that? They've always been pretty clear that the editor wouldn't give you much control, AFAIK.

They've said the engine could support stuff like flat maps, but that's up to modders to take advantage of.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm starting to wish I hadn't purchased this. The complete lack of differentiation in armies makes the game completely the same every time. Even playing online against other equally bad people we all seem to do the same thing, smash a planet into something.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm starting to wish I hadn't purchased this. The complete lack of differentiation in armies makes the game completely the same every time. Even playing online against other equally bad people we all seem to do the same thing, smash a planet into something.

This game is 100% "king of the planet destroying body" unless you make sure their are none of those. In which case is becomes a standard raid/counter raid resources until one side gets a game winning income advantage.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I know this isn't the Human Resources thread - because, let's face it, there isn't one - But I am glad that the Human Resource Kickstarter bombed.

Not that I didn't think it was a good concept, in fact I really wanted to play it - but as a long time Uber enthusiast (I am the weirdo that stopped by their studio to shake hands with people while on my honeymoon) I feel they need to work on finishing projects before starting new ones.

I hope this is a wake up call - that a well polished product will encourage positivity from their customers and that goodwill can translate into $$$ for the next project.

(Besides, I doubt it's over, on Kickstarter they said: One thing is for sure, Human Resources, as pitched in this Kickstarter, is over. But we adore the world of Human Resources and will endeavor to do what we can to bring it to life in some form. So, 'watch this space' I guess.)

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

a cock shaped fruit posted:

(I am the weirdo that stopped by their studio to shake hands with people while on my honeymoon)

Marry me sempai.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Not that I didn't think it was a good concept, in fact I really wanted to play it - but as a long time Uber enthusiast (I am the weirdo that stopped by their studio to shake hands with people while on my honeymoon) I feel they need to work on finishing projects before starting new ones.

What is wrong with you

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

I hope this is a wake up call - that a well polished product will encourage positivity from their customers and that goodwill can translate into $$$ for the next project.

They've missed this the first couple of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Oh wow, I totally missed this, but the ranked 1v1 matchmaking update went live yesterday.

It doesn't look like symmetrical planets made it into this patch. Their future plans are most likely going to be finishing work on symmetrical planets and creating a public leaderboard. I've also heard rumblings of them working on a custom planet editor, and they have mentioned they are going to be doing a full pass on naval gameplay.

Anyway, there are 5 ranks: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Uber. After 5 preliminary matches, you get placed in an appropriate league for your skill.

• Locked thread