Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

This is gonna be awesome, It's a shame that Chris Taylor isn't working on it becuase he was good at balancing and making these games feel fun but on the other hand he had a horrible habit of losing all his money and then having to sell all his IPs to keep his company going.

But yeah donate shitloads of money to this becuase it's gonna OWN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

ChewyLSB posted:

This does look like quite a cool and neat concept. My biggest fear is Uber Entertainment, since like another poster said before, Super MNC was pretty disappointing. I think I'll probably end up backing it, though, it looks unique enough and they seem to really have a passion for it.

Although some of the games on their "resumé" are pretty suspect...

As I recall Super MNC was made pretty much to get some more money out of the MNC engine without really needing to do anything else with it. a lot of Uber Entertainment (as has been said) are all industry vets, some of whom have worked on exceedingly good RTS games in the past. This game being good is pretty much a sure thing to be honest.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Canadian Surf Club posted:

What I love most about this is the whole playing on the curvature of the planet, Mario Galaxy style. I've been waiting for an RTS to do this forever, where I'm not on a flat map but a globe I can spin around and actually feel like I'm playing on an epic scale.

The whole positioning bases on moons and throwing asteroids around is really just the cherry on the three layer cake. Definitely donating to this, really hoping they meet their goal (though it does seem a bit high).

Games with worse production values and lower overheads than this have asked for a lot more and got it so this isn't really too much to ask for.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Squibbles posted:

I was really disappointed by Supreme Commander and especially Supreme Commander 2 and I think it was primarily the lack of a zillion different types of units like TA had.

In TA you would decide, "I know, I will build a giant wave of submersible tanks followed up by a massive airstrike" and you could do that if you wanted. Or you could decide to build an army made up of a huge selection of just mechs or just vehicles or whatever. In the Supcom games it never felt like there was much variety in what you could build in comparison so it felt really bland to me.

Here's hoping they add tons of different units right off the bat in this one. I've put my $15 down.

Problem is TA had terrain differences and Supcom didn't. In TA K-Bots existed because some terrain was too steep for the more heavily armed and armoured tanks to traverse. Supreme commander didn't have this and as such there was basically only tanks. My guess would be it'll be robots and tanks in PA for similar reasons to why it was in TA.

Also, don't hold Supcom2 against any of the supcom 1 devs, Chris Taylor had to sell the rights to supcom after space siege was a complete steaming dump to keep the company afloat and Square enix made them do all kinds of horrible poo poo. I think Chris Taylors vision for supcom2 originally was just to do supcom 1 again but even bigger and more epic and awesome.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If people don't like stuff that is straight-forward and streamlined, why does apple keep making money???

Seriously though the art style is great, reminds me a lot of the BLUEF from Supcom :v

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

drunkill posted:

Probably Notch, he apparently tweeted about the kickstarter and said he bought in (not for how much but given the odds...)

For fucks sake I hope it's not notch because he will demand something stupid like they add in a computer simulation and voxel physics to it with his 10k "help us design the game" privilege.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It's a shame there isn't space battles. They could simply treat them in the same way that ships are treated in most rts games, and would also allow some pretty sweet orbital bombardment stuff and transport gimmicks. :<

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Taffer posted:

Man, I'm so stoked for this. TA was the video game that got me addicted to video games, and has made me a total RTS man from my early days despite lots of FPS'ing. It's been almost a decade and a half and there still hasn't been an RTS game that's scratched that TA itch.

I never liked Supcom, I always felt that it was just a poorly made sequel to TA, so the fact that they're specifically saying this is TA inspired and NOT Supcom is a huge plus. I pitched in $40 and can't wait till the beta comes out so I can enjoy it early and (hopefully) help make a good balanced game.

Oh, and if you guys are feeling the need to play some TA, check out Spring like was mentioned earlier in this thread. It's TA on a new engine with some needed balance tweaks, but still a faithful remake. Specifically, Balanced Annihilation. Disclaimer: It is a little bit of a hassle to get setup. There's a huge release coming up that's a 100% visual overhaul(complete remake of ALL models and textures), and should be out in a month or two, and will have a proper simple installer. I'll make a thread for it when it comes out.

I played MNC and didn't think it was either a bad or good game, fairly bland in my opinion, but here's to hoping they can do a good job on a successor to TA. Good luck Uber!

gently caress balanced annihilation. They took AA and said "ah, well the problem here is that metal makers are too expensive so you can't just build millions of them" and promptly destroyed the careful expansion based balance that caydr had been working towards for years.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I always liked NOTA since it was a TA inspired game with pretty good balance without being annoying to play.

Although no one plays it :<

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It wasn't even that T2 units were too good for me, it was that they made it so metal makers cost like 60 energy to run, so suddenly building fields of metal makers and turtling was a more winnable strategy than expanding carefully and trying to defend valuable positions, which was the style that Caydr trying to put forward with AA. Also AA tried to cut down on unit bloat (Units for the sake of units) something that BA never really did very well.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Psycho Society posted:

It is a little strange that they're asking for $200,000 to code in one new planet type. Entire games are made for much less than that kind of money.

Did you know that mass effect could of been made for free if all the developers didn't get paid and worked out of their houses instead of in an office??

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Yeah it's a load of dudes who worked on TA and a load of dudes who worked on SupCom. They might not be very good at making mobas, but these guys know their stuff when it comes to RTS games.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

A second faction would be nice but when you think about it logically it basically means they have to do double the art assets for a second team that has to do basically the same thing. Provided they make the units diverse and interesting enough so that every game isn't "mash big block of robot type a into enemy block or robot type a"

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

SharpHawk posted:

Definitely wish I liked SC's look, I'd probably have played it a lot more than I did.

On a side note, does anyone remember how hilariously overpowered gunships were in SC2? As terrible as that game was, I have fond memories of single-handedly raping the entire enemy team in a 4v4 via gunship spam. The fact that each player you killed made you stronger thanks to the XP system was icing on the cake. By the time I got to the fourth player (I usually saved their best player for last) there were just nothing he could do against my overleveled gunship swarm, even if he'd only built AA units.

That's becuase Supcom2 was a huge piece of poo poo which should not be considered anywhere near the standards that TA and forged alliance were.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

We've got Death Stars!

But 300,000 in 4 days is a bit too much to expect, and goes into the realm of 'hope'.

People might dump a load of money on it to hope to get it but it seems unlikely.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Taffer posted:

I just wanna remind everyone who says they don't care about audio just how awesome the TA soundtrack was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_9QO_76l_I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CBTZqO83WQ This one was better :v

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

And they clearly have a bunch of the art assets done becuase they used them in the trailer.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Thewittyname posted:

Uber doesn't seem to use the Kickstarter update feature much, but updates are regularly posted on their Planetary Annihilation sub-forum. In particular, John Mavor posts a regular weekly update thread that sometimes has some cool insights into game programming. You might also check his personal blog from time-to-time as well as Sorian's (the lead AI developer) blog. Finally, Uber also has videocast updates posted to their Twitch TV channel.

Oh wow, they hired sorian? he was the guy who wrote that amazing supcom AI that was actually somewhat passable as an opponent.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Reminder, the NS2 team got so much poo poo for their Alpha launch that half the dev team almost quit and one guy almost had a nervous breakdown.

Alpha means Alpha people, don't expect the full fuckin finished game.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Dear idiots: the reason the alpha is not dirt cheap is because they have enough funds from kickstarter to finish the game properly so do not need to discount their game with a big waiver saying "you're getting it cheaper becuase we might go bankrupt, lol" to get sales (and money) to finish it. The reason it is still 90 dollars is to dissuade idiots like some of the very people in this thread buying it in it's unfinished alpha state, going "WOW THIS IS SO BUGGY AND UNFINISHED AND TERRIBLE DON'T BUY" to all of their friends and costing them money because of it.

Don't like that it's expensive in alpha? loving tough, don't buy it then. The game will be finished without you because of people who did pay the 90 dollars in kickstarter.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

SovietSteel posted:

Asking a dying playerbase to mine for Bitcoins might not be a bad decision (some could even say smart), but it really does border on the edge of scummy. It's also pretty funny considering Bitcoins sell for around the same price as this game's alpha access.

Of course the Bitcoin thing is more of the tip of their bad decisions. They have a pretty amazing track record with balance patches. Decisions that have so far killed two off their games. MNC can get a bit of a pass, Microsoft did screw them over with certifications, but SMNC was run into the ground without anyone else's help. Even when I played MNC on PC they did a good job at dragging their feet on important issues, and from skimming the SMNC thread it looks like they continued the tradition there.

While it's early to say if that'll happen with Planetary Annihilation it isn't something that I would recommend anyone burn $90 on the chance with that track record. Hell I wouldn't recommend anyone burn that much money on a large scale RTS without a amazing developer behind it.

Lol you think they're going to break even on bitcoin mining. People are running poo poo like 16 ATI 7800s off a single mobo so the difficulty is so high right now it's pointless to even consider mining bitcoins a "good" investment.

Also: https://www.buttcoin.org for all your bitcoin related hilarity and terribleness. Highlights of the last few weeks: american exchange about to get burned to the ground by an fbi raid, lot of money transfer companies going "lol no we're not dealing with bitcoin any more"

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

The higher prices were, I think, to be fair to those of us who Kickstarted it. "Hey, we're really happy you paid $90 dollars for alpha access, but we're offering it at the same time to new people for $20!", since early access games generally tend to start out cheap and go up in price.

I personally wouldn't have minded beyond a little annoyance settled off by a half-hearted shrug, but it would have been a little unfair.

VVV That much, we can agree on.

No it's because they didn't desperately need money.

If they price the game dirt cheap just because it's "in alpha" when they have enough money to finish the game they are losing perfectly good sales because anyone interested in it will just buy it in alpha at a bargain price. It also stops idiots badmouthing the game because "omg this prealpha is so unfinished loving piece of poo poo company don't buy this".

It's when companies don't have enough money to potentially finish the game that they have to start selling the pre-alpha at dirt cheap because at that point they need the money upfront to get the game finished at all, and since there's no guarantee that it will be they can't charge full price for it without getting the poo poo torn out of them.

tl;dr you're paying for the finished game and getting the priviledge of playing in the alpha/beta, as opposed to the chance to play the alpha and maybe getting the finished game "if it gets finished".

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Evernoob posted:

Actually Experimentals were exactly what I disliked the most about SupCom. The games quickly became a race to building the first/most experimentals. I much more enjoyed the multi-front battles on Seton's Clutch in TA Spring.

Talking about Seton's Clutch, I don't think it will be easy to recreate a map like it on a round planet.

I have not followed PA closely, but from what I understand the amount of different units is still fairly low (which is ok for a game in beta). Will they differentiate the factions much? Or are they all supposed to be fairly similar.

Another thing I would like is a pool of base units, and then a rotation of "temporary units-of-the-week". This would make games vary depending on the available units to choose from, shifting the meta regularly.

That way they can also experiment with introducing new units, with all players knowing very well it will only be in for a certain time. After the week they can tweak/nerf/buff it before they introduce it again.

No offence but I really don't think you should play RTS games if you don't like the fact there is fixed unit selections for balance purposes as well as super weapons so that players can actually end games against entrenched opponents.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Supcom 2 was retard garbage for idiots and comes close to being one of the one games I've played that calls itself an RTS.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It's a worthless stat because you see people playing starcraft 2 constantly mashing mouseclicks to put their APM up.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Really it wasn't till Absolute Annihilation where a majority of the units were worth building in TA. For all the stick people gave Caydr he knew how to balance games pretty well. Then he got a job doing what he actually wanted to do employmentwise and never had the time to work on it any more.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Taffer posted:

BA continued on to be better balanced, and I believe is still being updated. Haven't played it in a while though.

But people are kind of missing the point with unit variety, there are always going to be mainstays, the unit pool SHOULDN'T be evenly built - in BA for example, stumpies and flashes were the total backbone of arm t1 vehicles, but the shellshocker and Janus and pincer were really important in specific situations and allowed for a really wide range of tactical choices - this is what I feel PA is still lacking. Obviously the game is still in development so I'm not judging the devs, but it's that aspect that always really drew me to TA/Spring, and I hope PA will start to capture that.

BA was awful. The unit balance was fine but it destroyed the meta by making metal makers use almost no energy and gave them negligible resource costs. the end result was every base was a sea of metal makers, whereas AA prioritized expansion and controlling territory, with metla makers more to balance energy budgets.

Does PA have metal makers? I'm holding off playing it till launch (despite having beta access) because I don't want to burn out on it before it is even done.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Nalin posted:

No metal makers.

Thank gently caress.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Sorian is a really talented coder. I'm glad they hired him after his amazing work on the Sorian AI in forged alliance.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The game is good. Needs more ways to clean out the orbital layer from a distance but other than that it's pretty good.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Once I turned pole lock on I stopped having that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I really hope they add more space ships. I'm not entirely sure how I'm meant to attack a well defended planet other than just blowing it up.

• Locked thread