Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I was really disappointed by Supreme Commander and especially Supreme Commander 2 and I think it was primarily the lack of a zillion different types of units like TA had.

In TA you would decide, "I know, I will build a giant wave of submersible tanks followed up by a massive airstrike" and you could do that if you wanted. Or you could decide to build an army made up of a huge selection of just mechs or just vehicles or whatever. In the Supcom games it never felt like there was much variety in what you could build in comparison so it felt really bland to me.

Here's hoping they add tons of different units right off the bat in this one. I've put my $15 down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Problem is TA had terrain differences and Supcom didn't. In TA K-Bots existed because some terrain was too steep for the more heavily armed and armoured tanks to traverse. Supreme commander didn't have this and as such there was basically only tanks. My guess would be it'll be robots and tanks in PA for similar reasons to why it was in TA.

Also, don't hold Supcom2 against any of the supcom 1 devs, Chris Taylor had to sell the rights to supcom after space siege was a complete steaming dump to keep the company afloat and Square enix made them do all kinds of horrible poo poo. I think Chris Taylors vision for supcom2 originally was just to do supcom 1 again but even bigger and more epic and awesome.

Yeah SupCom2 was defintely way way worse but I was never as drawn into SupCom1 as I was with TA way back then either. With TA I would get together with my friends and play massive 4 player 12 hour long games that only ended because of a game desync or someone's computer would crash or whatever. Supcom just never had that same draw for me.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
64bit support is pretty sweet. It'll be nice not having a game that crashes when it tries to use over 2gb of memory.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Lprsti99 posted:

Okay, perhaps I'm getting the term mixed up, but isn't this similar to play-by-email and the like? The only real-time games I can remember seeing with asynchronous multiplayer were DEFCON (at 1:1 time scale) and Neptune's pride. The former was fairly simplistic, and as I recall you still had to stay in the game client at all times, and the latter's games literally took weeks to months, and it was also simple. Not sure how that would work with this game, unless they mean a really large, really slow game mode. (That would rock, by the way).

I'm pretty sure they said TA was Asynchronous, most other RTS's are Synchronous and that Planetary Annihilation was going to be Client-Server. e.g. You run a dedicated server and clients join to play. I'm not sure how A/Synchronous lines up with Client/Server but that's the way they presented it in the text I read.

Kickstarter page posted:

Other than Total Annihilation, which was asynchronous, most Real-Time Strategy games use a synchronous networking model, which means that all the computers in a given game are held back by the slowest machine. The Planetary Annihilation engine uses a client-server model so that the “heavy lifting” can be done on a game server, freeing up gamers’ machines to engage in bigger battles with more players!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
They just announced the stretch goals and unit differentiation/factions doesn't seem to be among them unfortunately.

Edit: Oops they only announced 2 of the 5.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
The greatest part of TA that I won't be able to replicate in Planetary Annihilation sadly is that I had a Pentium 200 and my friend only had a P120. When my fleet of Brawlers or Advanced Stealth planes would lift off it turned his computer into a slideshow so he was completely unable to do anything but hope and pray his automated defences were good enough to fend off my attacks. I fear we'll never see such glorious times ever again :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Thewittyname posted:

Discounting the initial three day surge of orders, PA is bringing in about 45k a day. Even assuming it drops to 40K and stays there, given the remaining number of days it should clear the first two stretch goals easily, ending up with about $1.5 million. FWIW, Kicktraq is projecting an end total between $1.6 and $3.0 million.

Also, I wasn't saying TA didn't have unit differentiation, I was talking about how both the Arm and the Core each had a wide variety of units. If the one faction in PA ended up with about as many units as the Arm or Core did, I'd be super happy.

If I had to guess I'd say that they probably made the decision to only have one side in order to save money in terms of time being invested to balance multiple factions against each other. Also saves time in designing more units and leaves a door open to future expansions/dlc with new factions I suppose.

• Locked thread