Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This thread title seems really wrong. This game seems like it may be inspired by TA in a way but overall it seems so different that calling it a remake is selling it short by a lot.

The concept is cool, and the pitch video is cool, and I want this game to exist and be good. But I'm also pretty bitter over Uber and their complete game development ADD where they can't just seem to focus on a single thing and make that thing good. SMNC is kind of a mess. I just hope that doesn't really bleed over into this project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It seems pretty dangerous for them to be taking paypal payments for it when they aren't even sure it's going to be made. Doesn't that seem sketchy? Do they plan on refunding everyone who uses paypal if the kickstarter doesn't make its goal? Usually people don't give paypal alternatives before a kickstarter is fully funded to avoid this issue. Also because they don't want to split the revenue source and end up having people use paypal instead of kickstarter and failing to succeed because of that. This doesn't seem very well thought out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Super MNC is awesome, sorry.

SMNC has its strong points and is pretty fun when you get into some good matches but it also has been plagued with balance issues the developers haven't been able to shake off, and a limited number of heroes and maps. Instead of hunkering down and focusing on that stuff, they instead decide to release a ton of new (unpolished) game modes and to split the already tiny player base four or five ways so it takes forever to join a game. Because of this, more people stop playing and the dilluted playerbase grows ever smaller. The game is at least a third as active now as it was three of four months ago. SMNC is disappointing because it has a lot of potential and Uber does all the wrong things with it.

PlotDevice posted:

If they get the same guy that did the soundtrack for TA I will pay them. Otherwise I remain skeptical because supcom was such a mess.

Jeremy Soule did the soundtrack for TA. You may have heard of him. He's probably WAY outside of their budget, unfortunately.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Games with worse production values and lower overheads than this have asked for a lot more and got it so this isn't really too much to ask for.

How many games have asked for more than 900k and got it?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 17, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thoom posted:

Allowing for that sort of ingenuity is classic TA/SupCom gameplay, so I'd be pretty surprised if it was cut. In SC you could load up a transport with basic shooty guys and make it a sort of ghetto gunship. This is just the next logical evolution of that idea.

Or flying transports with your commando on it over the enemy base, when it gets shot down, off goes the nuke. :) I smiled when I saw them put artillery on the moon and it rained down on the enemy base. It reminded me of my many TA LANs where my friends would put Big Berthas in the most obnoxious spots to pester me with.

Lexorin posted:

If you smash a moon into a planet and they both break up can you then continue the fight on the new asteroids?

Also, they say they don't have space combat yet you can add engines to an asteroid and fly it around. If you can do that then you can add engines AND point defense/artillery and basically have a rock based super carrier. Although it looks like the controls will be a bit rudimentary. Hopefully you will be able to order it into orbit at the very least. I will be super bummed if this feature gets cut.

Really though, I'll be happy if it boils down to clicking an asteroid and selecting "suicide base" and then selecting a target for when it's finished.

The entire basis of the game is interesting interactions between planets and other bodies in the solar system. I think that feature is there to stay, it's pretty much the impetus for them developing the game. No reason for getting scared of them cutting it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't get the reference :smith:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Squibbles posted:

I'm pretty sure they said TA was Asynchronous, most other RTS's are Synchronous and that Planetary Annihilation was going to be Client-Server. e.g. You run a dedicated server and clients join to play. I'm not sure how A/Synchronous lines up with Client/Server but that's the way they presented it in the text I read.

Okay, so it is just a misunderstanding as "Asynchronous Multiplayer" usually means something completely different. They're just going to use a dedicated server setup.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

redreader posted:

TA spring was the best RTS I have ever played by a very long way. I don't think you can expect this to be as good as a game that has been developed over years by a very active community (think JA2 vs back in action). Supreme commander was just utter poo poo compared to spring. I don't think you can expect this to be as good as TA spring but hopefully it'll be better than supreme commander!

I think the difference is that unlike Supreme Commander, this isn't trying to be TA but with a new coat of paint. They're using TA as inspiration, but are going in a very different direction with it. It'll hopefully be different enough to not draw the "It's like Spring, but worse!" comparison.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stretch goal 5 is almost assuredly going to be a traditional single player story campaign, since they said that was going to be a stretch goal.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sky Shadowing posted:

We've got Death Stars!

But 300,000 in 4 days is a bit too much to expect, and goes into the realm of 'hope'.

150k to go now with over two days left. The last day or two always sees a large surge in backers, in every kickstarter project. It seems pretty likely they'll make it to 1.8m

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sarmhan posted:

Uh, the Supreme Commander music was Soule as well- one of the big reasons people want him is that he's a significant part of the experience people had with TA and SC.

Jeremy Soule is WAAAAY more high profile and expensive now than he was in his TA days. They simply can't afford him, there is no way. When you're working with a $2 million budget, you're forced to pinch pennies. That means going with the reliable in-house guy over the extravagant and expensive option.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just Offscreen posted:

Planetary documentary...is that like the review you get at the end of Civ 4?

No, it's a documentary film they want to make about the creation of the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

And some of the other music he did for it sounds almost identical to Oblivion. In fact that was the first thing I thought when I first heard the music in the game. Dude has his moments (the one you linked is good), but overall he's a pretty serious hack and I kind of dread whenever I find out he's making the music for a game.

I don't know if it plays for the other races, but one of the songs that plays during the Sylvari personal story sounds so much like the Zanarkand theme from FFX I thought it was literally that for the first minute or so. Still, there are some pretty great songs in that game, some that really surprised me with how good they were. I'm with you, Soule is grossly overrated and really inconsistent overall.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Will single planets be able to have multiple biomes?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wax Dynasty posted:

If you watch the previous live stream from last year they show off a very early build of the planetary generation system that shows multiple biomes on each planet.

That's nice. I get annoyed at some games or works of fiction in general where each planet is pretty much just one biome.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PlotDevice posted:

They're reusing quite a few unit art assets there. The aircraft are especially egregious (the big bomber just looks like a scaled up version of the other bomber, the what I assume is a gunship is just the other gunship with a fin added). I'm sure they're still really early in the process but this is basically the equivalent of a mod maker releasing untextured gun renders. I'm still really looking forward to this game but the excitement is definitely a bit tempered.

So you'd rather have them give no updates on the game development at all until it looks good enough? You're right, it is like releasing untextured gun renders, but since that part is a necessary part of the production process and they're showing us every step along the way, what are you expecting?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

And the fact that it got mentioned almost everywhere the KS project got mentioned, including here, multiple times. With a lot of "Well, they kind of screwed up SMNC, but..." posts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

uXs posted:

Air power is king in real life too, I don't see why it shouldn't be so in a game too.

Because in this crazy fantastical sci-fi game, a more balanced approach to combat where all avenues are viable would be more fun.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Somebody might pay that just so they can put TA on GOG and Steam. Not sure if that would be worth it, but it's possible.

edit: nvm, TA is already on GOG, so that idea is out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

What kind of retard do you have to be to pay more for a lovely version of the game?

The type who back kickstarter projects? Almost every KS that has offered alpha builds do so at a higher tier as an incentive to back for more.

Really what this boils down to is that Uber should not have put this alpha on the Steam store. That was a really poor decision on their part. They should have stuck with KS backers and the slacker backers on their own website. The perception in this is all in how it's framed. On KS, it's "Donate more and get access to the alpha as a reward," on Steam it's "$90 for a buggy unplayable build of a game."

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 13, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

Lol you think they're going to break even on bitcoin mining. People are running poo poo like 16 ATI 7800s off a single mobo so the difficulty is so high right now it's pointless to even consider mining bitcoins a "good" investment.

Also: https://www.buttcoin.org for all your bitcoin related hilarity and terribleness. Highlights of the last few weeks: american exchange about to get burned to the ground by an fbi raid, lot of money transfer companies going "lol no we're not dealing with bitcoin any more"

They can break even on the bitcoin thing because they aren't actually doing the mining themselves. That's the whole point of the scheme they set up, to get other people to mine for them since mining is generally unprofitable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I like the part where he doesn't understand at all why SMNC underperformed. Hint: It wasn't because people were tired of F2P games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Taffer posted:

Yeah, seems like he has no idea how F2P is supposed to work. And SMNC wasn't very good either, from what I heard.

SMNC was good enough to build off of and become a decent performer for them. They made it public when it wasn't ready (they were probably running out of money and needed new players), then they flip flopped on game balance while deciding to focus on new game modes, splitting matchmaking queues, as opposed to focusing on their primary game mode they already had working. When I started playing they had about 2000-2500 players at peak times with something like two matchmaking queues, one for NA, one for Europe. It still took a minute or two to find a game on average. By the time I stopped, they had 1500 players with separate server queues for 3 different game modes, for 2 different regions for each, and different queues for different party sizes. It was a complete mess, people left in droves because finding games became way too difficult with all the division, and the game died. It wasn't because it was F2P, it's because Uber moved too fast in certain areas and not fast enough in others. The player base was growing before they ruined it all.

SMNC was one of the few F2P games I actually put money into so I was pretty bummed to see it evolve in the way it did.

• Locked thread