Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
we can put it back on if you want to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Today I brought home a promo 7" with live bootlegs of Under Pressure and What's the New Mary Jane? , recorded in '94, for $2.99 today. "Thanks a lot everybody, Candlebox is up next." Hah!

I remember when I loved this band, and 94-96 is probably my favorite era, so... this was a cool day.

Not gonna waste time echoing the same disappointment everyone else already has about where they're at in 2k17.

AXSON JACKSON
Feb 13, 2011
http://www.newsweek.com/wayne-coyne-donald-trump-protest-music-flaming-lips-552899

Found this interview with Wayne in my Facebook feed today. I know this topic makes him out to be a big rear end in a top hat but I still kind of relate to what he says here.

REALTHEWILL
Jul 21, 2016
I checked out Ozcly Mlody
it was alright.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I stopped keeping up with this band because of Wayne's poo poo always depressing me so I just now even saw Oczy Mlody on Spotify

Read a review that basically said "this is Flaming Lips album with all the good "band" stuff stripped away and just the psyechedelic elevator music left" and I agree. It's like The Terror without the terror or Embryonic without any of the good ideas.

The Flaming Lips 2017: And I Just Don't Care Anymore

e: it did get me to listen to some more Mercury Rev today though, there are some live shows on Spotify now that are really good, including a SXSW one

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

precision posted:

Read a review that basically said "this is Flaming Lips album with all the good "band" stuff stripped away and just the psyechedelic elevator music left" and I agree. It's like The Terror without the terror or Embryonic without any of the good ideas.

That's pretty drat accurate. I ended up listening to the full album on YouTube about a month ago and I literally remember almost nothing about it other than the hilariously unnecessary amount of swearing Wayne decided to throw in.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
The album was a grower for me. I was underwhelmed at first listen, but I quite like it now. Assuming you're a fan of the band in general, I'd honestly recommend giving it another chance if you've only listened once and then wrote it off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's The Castle, which is pretty cool and sounds kinda like an older, classic Lips track.

Then there was that song about unicorns with the super groanworthy Reggie Watts feature.

Then there was that Miley Cyrus song at the end.

That was the whole album, right?

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
the album's pretty good the wizard song is truly great

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

trem_two posted:

The album was a grower for me. I was underwhelmed at first listen, but I quite like it now. Assuming you're a fan of the band in general, I'd honestly recommend giving it another chance if you've only listened once and then wrote it off.

I've listened a few more times, it's not bad other than the really bad lyrics, more mediocre than anything. And the lyrics thing is kinda a big deal since Wayne's lyrics are a big reason I loved the band in the first place.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Wayne:

🎶 Legalize every drug right noooooooow 🎶

Steven:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lazyhound posted:

Wayne:

🎶 Legalize every drug right noooooooow 🎶

Steven:

Yeah, I thought about that. As far as I know, Steven is on legal opiates now (painkillers), but it still seemed like a really weird thing for Wayne to sing with Steven in the band.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Lol if you think Wayne gives a gently caress about helping Steven stay clean

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lol if you think Wayne gives a gently caress about helping Steven stay clean

I mean before Wayne turned into the poster child for "Do all the drugs you want" he really did seem to care about Steven being clean, but these days, yeah.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just saw them last week, great show as always. Steven was drumming for the opening song (The Prize) and I was so excited he was finally behind the drums again killing it, then after the first song he moved to the keyboards :(

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Dusting off this old rear end thread to mention a new single by Vessels is out that features the Lips, or at least Wayne

https://youtu.be/wIbM84YmqPU

I don't know. I kind of like it a lot. I know it's not really a Lips track but I think if they went in this direction a bit they'd be back on track to putting out decent music again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Honestly that song is better than anything on Oczy Mldoy

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

precision posted:

Honestly that song is better than anything on Oczy Mldoy

And yet despite that still isn't all that great.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
I like Deflect the Light pretty well, but it sounds like We A Famly, the best thing I heard off of Oczy. But then I never listened to the whole thing, which I feel bad about.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

4d3d3d posted:

I like Deflect the Light pretty well, but it sounds like We A Famly, the best thing I heard off of Oczy. But then I never listened to the whole thing, which I feel bad about.

I liked the opening track and the song about hunting witches or whatever it was called. That was it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I found Oczy on clearance at three different record shops last week, and that's practically unheard of when you consider Warner usually has the LPs around $30 MSRP and they hardly ever go on sale.

It's a really forgettable record.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
LEGALIZE IT
EVERY DRUG
RIGHT NOW

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm halfway wondering if I should give Oxy Melody another listen. The Castle isn't that bad and neither is hunting for faeries and witches and wizards. I liked Arcade Fire's new album so maybe my taste just sucks but let me see if I can see the diamond in the rough

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The album's not terrible, it's just kind of sleepy and underwritten and it's not really the type of music I listen to Flaming Lips for

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

facebook jihad posted:

I'm halfway wondering if I should give Oxy Melody another listen. The Castle isn't that bad and neither is hunting for faeries and witches and wizards. I liked Arcade Fire's new album so maybe my taste just sucks but let me see if I can see the diamond in the rough

Eh, I have way more "albums I need to listen to more" as it is, I'm getting tired of giving the Lips chances to make me happy. The Terror seems like an eternity ago.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

precision posted:

Eh, I have way more "albums I need to listen to more" as it is, I'm getting tired of giving the Lips chances to make me happy. The Terror seems like an eternity ago.

Yeah I've given up on that, the Lips are a cool live show to go to now, and I listen to Yoshimi or Bulletin now and then but that's about it.

Too much other music out there, recently been going through all of Iggy Pop's albums and that's been fun :v:

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
The Soft Bulletin is my favorite album from any band, but I've been listening to Clouds Taste Metallic and it's pretty much flawless too.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah I've given up on that, the Lips are a cool live show to go to now, and I listen to Yoshimi or Bulletin now and then but that's about it.

Too much other music out there, recently been going through all of Iggy Pop's albums and that's been fun :v:

I haven't seen them live in a few years (since the tour with Tame Impala?), but this recent (I'm assuming) live video looks like it's still a fun time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKIKsiyNPog

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I really like Oczy Mlody because it feels like, intentionally or not, an album written by someone who is completely burnt out and desperately clinging to how things used to be. It's a really sad album. Whether Wayne meant for it to be that way is certainly debatable, but it's really grown on me and I really enjoy it, probably even more than I do The Terror.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
That's because the Terror was bland and one long, minor note.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hughesta posted:

I really like Oczy Mlody because it feels like, intentionally or not, an album written by someone who is completely burnt out and desperately clinging to how things used to be. It's a really sad album.

This is definitely true.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lips and Mac DeMarco are working on a split ep.

https://pitchfork.com/news/wayne-coyne-announces-new-flaming-lipsmac-demarco-split-ep/

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I loving love Mac DeMarco, hope it turns out great

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

I loving love Mac DeMarco, hope it turns out great

I’m really hoping it’s worth a listen. Mac DeMarco rules.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

hughesta posted:

I really like Oczy Mlody because it feels like, intentionally or not, an album written by someone who is completely burnt out and desperately clinging to how things used to be. It's a really sad album. Whether Wayne meant for it to be that way is certainly debatable, but it's really grown on me and I really enjoy it, probably even more than I do The Terror.

Yeah the terror has not aged well with me at all. Embryonic/Yoshimi/Soft Bulletin/Transmissions are all good albums that I will go back to every now and then, but the terror is really a wet fart. Oczy Mlody has its weaknesses but it's has some songs I go back to now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
The terror is and always was one long, one note sad song. The tour was equally as boring.

• Locked thread