Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, personally I don't care. I think it'd be pretty badass if he was walking around with a mare's leg. It'd fit with his personality. I was just getting all the complaining outta the way so no one else has to roll in complaining and whining about nerd accuracy.

That being said, he's always shown with a hat on the covers, and he never wears one in the book. I think by now it's a running joke between the cover artist and Butcher.

I hope the cover does mean that we get to see (spoiler for Changes) a new leather duster in the book though. I hated seeing the old one get trashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Since the Dresden RPG purports to be the game that Billy et al. play, I wonder if Harry will ever acknowledge that in-book? I'm picturing him reading the game manual, wondering aloud why he's depicted in a hat. Not even a proper pointy wizard hat, at that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

wheatpuppy posted:

Since the Dresden RPG purports to be the game that Billy et al. play, I wonder if Harry will ever acknowledge that in-book? I'm picturing him reading the game manual, wondering aloud why he's depicted in a hat. Not even a proper pointy wizard hat, at that.

I think it's in one of the short stories, but Dresden at one point laments at length about how he should get a hat one of these days because he'd probably look pretty badass with a cool hat.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

When a new book is put out, is it available on the Kindle store immediately or is there a delay? I'm deciding whether I should get the physical book or the ebook now that I have a Kindle and use it for most of my reading. I have all the other books in a physical form, though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mercury Hat posted:

When a new book is put out, is it available on the Kindle store immediately or is there a delay? I'm deciding whether I should get the physical book or the ebook now that I have a Kindle and use it for most of my reading. I have all the other books in a physical form, though.

Usually for most major releases the kindle version comes out on the same day or with a short delay (24ish hours in my experience). That said, if you already have a physical book collection, why mess with a good thing? It'll look nicer on your shelf to keep buying hard copy and often of a comparable price (because e-book pricing still hasn't caught on to the fact that there's no freight and printing costs for e-books)

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The comparable price is a thing, I'm not sure I would spend $20 on an ebook or however much it'll end up being.

My books don't look nice on the shelf, though. Most are paperbacks, the paperbacks themselves are varying sizes, and Ghost Story is the only hardcover I have :v: . Presentation of the collection isn't really a pro or con in this case. That said, since I have half the series in physical media, I'll probably just continue on with it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I only have three series/authors whose books I still buy in physical format. All of them because I have the collection already present and don't want to split it up between physical and digital.

Dresden Files
Wheel of Time (Last book this winter!)
Discworld

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I've been able to download a new release at midnight on my nook.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Danhenge posted:

I've been able to download a new release at midnight on my nook.

Yeah, every time I've bought a book that I was anticipating, it's come out at midnight the day is was being released.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mercury Hat posted:

Butcher's press people have verified that the e-versions will be released simultaneously with the hardcover.

Though if I were you, I'd get the hardcover to keep the collection going, especially if you have all the others in hardcover.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Ornamented Death posted:

I'd get the hardcover to keep the collection going, especially if you have all the others in hardcover.
I'm slowly collecting the earlier hard covers. I already have Storm Front. Fool Moon and Grave Peril are gonna hurt my wallet, though.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pseudonordic posted:

I'm slowly collecting the earlier hard covers. I already have Storm Front. Fool Moon and Grave Peril are gonna hurt my wallet, though.

My only advice is to stop in at every Books-a-Million you see. I managed to snag both Storm Front and Grave Peril for cover price. I ended up paying an arm and a leg for Fool Moon, though, mostly because I got tired of buying it/winning auctions for a decent price only to have the seller immediately followup saying "oops we sold it already!"

Summer Knight isn't going to be pleasant for you, either. Death Masks and Blood Rites are both still available from Amazon for a little less than cover price, so I'd recommend buying them ASAP (assuming you don't already have them).

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 19, 2012

Musta Kraken
Dec 17, 2009
Any indication of when/if we'll get preview chapters online?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Musta Kraken posted:

Any indication of when/if we'll get preview chapters online?

For the last few books, we got one preview a week for the month before release.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Just finished The Rook, great book that poor duck!. It's weird how there's this whole little subgenre of british-themed occult spy novel fantasy that seems to have sprung up over the past couple years.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

It looks like every single major and secondary character from the books has a Twitter account of some sort. I've seen my share of gimmick accounts, and these are... Well, they're pretty damned good. @HarriedWizard @WeDontSparkle @WardenSexyPants are a few to start with.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

-Fish- posted:

It looks like every single major and secondary character from the books has a Twitter account of some sort. I've seen my share of gimmick accounts, and these are... Well, they're pretty damned good. @HarriedWizard @WeDontSparkle @WardenSexyPants are a few to start with.

B-but how could he even use a computer :spergin:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

-Fish- posted:

This reminds me of when I first got a Twitter app on my phone. Searching for "tweets near me" or whatever it was called revealed a shitload of lovely True Blood gimmick accounts all posting at each other. It was nuts!

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

404GoonNotFound posted:

B-but how could he even use a computer :spergin:

A wizard did it.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I got the Ghost Story audiobook and man I really like John Glover as an actor but compared to Marsters he is terrible.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

-Fish- posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a fan thing, because Uriel would probably never say

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I've never understood why Harry should have any sort of problem using a semi-automatic. The magazines use springs, for crying out loud! Not exactly cutting-edge technology.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I've never understood why Harry should have any sort of problem using a semi-automatic. The magazines use springs, for crying out loud! Not exactly cutting-edge technology.

I think it's more to do with magic bending the laws of physics slightly so lots of small fast moving parts tend to not work so well.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I think it is less the magazine and more the reloading mechanism in the actual gun, there are a lot of moving parts there (for a gun).

EDIT: poo poo someone beat me to it.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Psalmanazar posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a fan thing, because Uriel would probably never say

Oh, I was under no under impression. From what I've seen so far they're pretty amusing, however, mostly well done. And even in Uriel's case that kind of language might be justified. They WERE referring to Manos the Hands of Fate, after all.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
The whole "magic fucks with machinery" thing always seemed to be presented more as comic relief than any serious problem. I remember Harry once said that in the past, the presence of a wizard changed the color of fire, caused warts to grow out, etc etc. I doubt it's meant to be a major handicap.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Snipee posted:

The whole "magic fucks with machinery" thing always seemed to be presented more as comic relief than any serious problem. I remember Harry once said that in the past, the presence of a wizard changed the color of fire, caused warts to grow out, etc etc. I doubt it's meant to be a major handicap.

It's pretty explicitly a handicap. Being a Wizard fucks with your ability to interact with society. In the past that manifested in warts and flame colour, while now it manifests by destroying technology and thus forcing a fair degree of separation from normal society.

It's explicitly a major handicap which manifests in a way that affects the individual's ability to integrate into the society he grew up in.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

:argh:

HARRY DOESN'T WEAR A GOD DAMNED HAT!

He can't use a rifle either! TOO MANY MOVING PARTS! TECHNOLOGY! BAH! HUMBUG! IT'S WHY HE USES REVOLVERS! LESS PARTS! SON OF A BITCH! :argh:

There, now all the bitching about the cover has been stated, and we don't have to go through it again.

(Thank god this finally got a release date)

This may seem a bit spergy, but a bolt action or a lever action rifle don't have that many moving parts. You really can't get much more simple than a revolver, but something like the old 1870's Winchester lever action rifle is incredibly simple, easy to use and easy to maintain. Also, my buddy owns a Mosin that is nearly 100 years old and it still works. Most Mosins out there are older than nearly everyone you know and a decently maintained one will still fire. I also saw my first bolt action shotgun a few weeks ago, though I have no idea why someone would need one.

Dresden also did use a sawed off shotgun, though he gave that to Thomas for later use.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Has he ever actually tried? I mean, that could just be an excuse to keep using revolvers. He is supposed to hate change after all.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
He'd used them before I think. He borrowed one of Murphy's guns once, and Murphy/Marcone's guns never failed even in high magic situations. Hes never hexed a gun before either.

Harry's just a revolver bigot.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

veekie posted:

He'd used them before I think. He borrowed one of Murphy's guns once, and Murphy/Marcone's guns never failed even in high magic situations. Hes never hexed a gun before either.

And Kincaid, who loves automatic weapons, spends most of his time around Ivy. Who's got enough power to make the Merlin look like a wet firecracker. Magic doesn't gently caress up guns. Harry's just stubborn.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Stroth posted:

And Kincaid, who loves automatic weapons, spends most of his time around Ivy. Who's got enough power to make the Merlin look like a wet firecracker. Magic doesn't gently caress up guns. Harry's just stubborn.

You could probably argue that Ivy isn't a wizard, she's a unique sort of supernatural being, or simply that she knows how to keep her magic from messing with technology. Even Harry was, after all, able to create a spell which kept his magic from blowing out TV cameras, even if it didn't work very well.

Come to that, is there any evidence that supernatural creatures/beings other than wizards specifically have any trouble with technology? The faeries, obviously, couldn't use anything made of iron or steel, but beyond that? Vampires certainly don't seem to have any problems in that regard, and Monoc Securities looked pretty high-tech.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

docbeard posted:

You could probably argue that Ivy isn't a wizard, she's a unique sort of supernatural being, or simply that she knows how to keep her magic from messing with technology. Even Harry was, after all, able to create a spell which kept his magic from blowing out TV cameras, even if it didn't work very well.

Come to that, is there any evidence that supernatural creatures/beings other than wizards specifically have any trouble with technology? The faeries, obviously, couldn't use anything made of iron or steel, but beyond that? Vampires certainly don't seem to have any problems in that regard, and Monoc Securities looked pretty high-tech.

The junior gruffs were using assault weapons, as was Madrigal and Thomas.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
It's a uniquely wizard thing, so Ivy, Fae, Norse beings and the like are all fine.

Everything seems to have it's own drawbacks. Fae have steel, Wizards have "something that stops them functioning in the society of their time", be that technodestructia or warts and making milk sour.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Harry has mentioned that he has used automatics in the past and they jammed on him. After telling Murphy that she asked him if he has used an automatic recently since advances in technology has almost completely eliminated jams.

He confessed that he hasn't and gave the reason that revolvers never jam as his reason for using them.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

docbeard posted:

Ivy probably has what would be ordinarily considered a modest talent, so probably wouldn't have to worry too much. Plus having knowledge that spans millennia would probably help in reigning in her magic.

Harry has noted that non-mortal beings(non-human basically) can throw power around as they like without effecting technology. Perhaps it's tied to having a soul somehow.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Luminaflare posted:

I think it's more to do with magic bending the laws of physics slightly so lots of small fast moving parts tend to not work so well.

IIRC there's actually idea going around that wizards tend to push their understanding of reality onto the real world. If they accept something then this doesn't cause problems, but if it feels unnatural to them then it pushes the things they don't understand in multiple directions metaphorically until they stop working. I think Molly can still use cell phones and such, and older wizards had problems with steam engines.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Poor Molly JUST missed the cutoff to understand smartphones. She could've been Mayor of Chichen Itza.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

NovemberMike posted:

IIRC there's actually idea going around that wizards tend to push their understanding of reality onto the real world. If they accept something then this doesn't cause problems, but if it feels unnatural to them then it pushes the things they don't understand in multiple directions metaphorically until they stop working. I think Molly can still use cell phones and such, and older wizards had problems with steam engines.

So would this mean that if a wizard was an engineer, electrician or something like that stuff which they understand would just work?

Following this logic doesn't this mean that if they really believed something should work it will even if it shouldn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Luminaflare posted:

Following this logic doesn't this mean that if they really believed something should work it will even if it shouldn't?

You mean, like a wizard could create a jet of flame without any source or cause bullets to bounce off of nothing if he believed it would work? That'd be pretty cool.

• Locked thread