Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Oh 18xx nerds please give me any advice on 1835. We played a round a couple weeks ago and are looking to play a rematch later this month..2 players who had played before, 2 others (myself included) had only played 1830. One of the more experienced players ran away with the game. Or rather we handed it to him. He was able to get 3 minor companies going on successful routes with two trains each and bought up a ton of the Prussian stock with that extra revenue as early as he possibly could could.

For next game I would know to pressure the trains quicker in a situation like that and not let someone get so much out of buying up multiple 2s. I also now have a feel for how/when/where the Prussian rail comes into the picture and I think that's going to be a big thing in and of itself. However can anyone familiar with it give me any tips? Are there any good tricks for the Bayer or Sachen rails that start up first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
There's a bunch of 2+2 (passes through 2 towns) and then 3+3, 4+4, etc. which really alleviates any rush. I think the limited number in the 3 to 5 range puts pressure on any rails relying on 3s to need to plan hard for the 6s but most of the 2s went to minor companies which get nationalized into the Prussian rail which can float only after the 4 has come out so it kind of just works out for them anyway I suppose. It was a much friendlier game than any of the 1830 games I've played.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
We got another game of 1835 in last night and I'm still really intrigued by it even though it has its quirks. No one ever replied that they have played this one so I'm probably talking to nobody but I came in dead last and had about an hour where I had nothing to do but I still enjoyed the game. It got stalled at the beginning with the way we distributed the opening companies. Player 1 had more private companies than the rest of us put together and Player 2 had the only running major company, the other 2 of us were sitting on minors trying to save up enough money to start additional major companies. But as Player 1 and 2 were making more money there was no need for them to push the game along and it dragged and gave player 1 specifically all the advantage he needed to dominate the game.

I made the mistake of dumping the shares in the only company I was running in order to buy up a bunch of stock in the nationalized company that comes out. Another player had control of a company that got to determine when that nationalized company starts and he just sat on it, so something that would have been running at significantly higher payouts than any other rail came out 4 or 5 turns after I was planning on.

But that's what I get for putting all my eggs in one basket.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Got through our first full game of 1835. We ended up playing a variant that allows more freedom in the opening company selection. I ended up enjoying it a whole lot. It becomes a track laying game with huge importance on where the stations go down. It's neat how different it can play out...our first game we had all the trains purchased before the final 2 companies were available, and in this game every single company was sold before the 4 trains were gone.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
We got in a few games of 1835 and have now switched to 1856 which is way more enjoyable. 1835 is a pretty neat experience but 1856 is a beast. With every 18xx, I keep taking a picture of the initial setup once we get done with the first operating round but forget to take a picture from the end before we start cleaning up so I don't have much to go on for an AAR.

Our 4th player was out sick this week but luckily was probably the most experienced with the game so it gave 2 of us a chance to check it out as a learning experience. I felt a new level of nerdom with this game...you know how in Dominion when sometimes you want to forgo strategy and just buy one of every card to play with all the new toys? I felt like that with the train companies. So many of them and I could see a bunch of little tricks each one could play with, but of course you can't buy every company.

I ended up playing way too conservatively and did not plan well enough around the capitalization of the CGR and simultaneously the 6 train rush. I had 2 companies I was pushing ahead and instead of dropping one I slowed way down to keep both going. While I came in 2nd place in the end, I went into the last operating round with severely less cash on hand than either other player.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Got through another 1856. To any of you who have played it before how much should the Great Lakes Shipping Company go for? It seems like a terrible advantage getting that one for any reasonable cost as any of GW, CA, or LPS can begin hitting that 20 pointer bonus twice, GW being the clear lead. We learned the hard way not to let someone ever get Great Lakes shipping and GW together as they can start off running for almost 15 when every other company is at best half that.

My quick observation is that it should be bid high enough so that the purchaser cannot afford a third share in their starting company and therefore cannot buy a second train to start.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
We started the new year with 1830. This is the first 18xx I've won in my group. I started with NYNH and the two lowest privates. I pushed hard to get NYC as well and opened it lower than I wanted but snatched that up before other players had the chance. I blocked off Boston and was subsequently blocked off from the southern part of the map myself, but NYNH and NYC both hitting the New York tile 3 times a piece gave me a nice cash advantage and the diesel rush hurt me the least.

I do however attribute it in part to the more experienced players taking each other out a bit.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Coming off my first victory a couple weeks ago I now went bankrupt for the first time in an 18xx in our latest game of 1830. The lesson I took away is NEVER pass up a chance to buy a 5 train.

I read a lot of strategy tips saying to save B&O for your 2nd company, but I can't figure out how that's supposed to work. It seems like it always gets stolen by another player.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I thought all 18xx had a hard limit on the track of every type? The rules allow for if you run out of slight yellow curves pieces that you can still make that connection? I know there are many 18xx where there's a tight limit on cities or town tiles and some often can't get out I swear I've also played one before where there was a slight demand on either straight yellow or simple curve yellow and it slowed down some companies until green started freeing them off the board.

1870 actually only allows 2 out of 3 double cities to be upgraded as well, which is brutal for someone if all 3 of those companies vying for a different double city are running.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Well after 3 consecutive games of going bankrupt in 1830 I finally stayed in it, placing 2nd out of 4.

1st bankruptcy I learned the lesson of never pass on a 5 or 6 train
2nd bankruptcy I learned that just because you can start a 2nd company, you might not want to
3rd bankruptcy I learned that someone will always find a way to spend ALL the money on a company if they can dump it on you

A couple of my fellow players are a tier above me in terms of knowing the pacing and seeing how the track lays will come out but I can hold my own. Which was my goal, the first 2 times I played an 18xx I was so worried about going bankrupt that I played way too conservatively. Clearly this year I hit the other end of the spectrum and now I can hopefully continue playing in the middle!

edit: er just to be clear this was 4 games over the course of the past couple months, not in one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Has anyone had any recent dealings with Deep Thought? A guy in our group placed an order ~ 2 years ago that we're still waiting on. There's a couple I want to order but if it's literally going to be 2-3 years I don't think I can commit to that.

"Currently there is about a 7-11 month backlog of orders"

• Locked thread