Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Do you think Mysterious Girlfriend X fits in this thread.

It is a nice slice of live / RoCom. But the world ( and especially the girlfriend ) is just a bit strange. And it is extremely well drawn.

And about drool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
No, because after the first five or ten chapters which are decently strange it turns into "Fetish of the Week". This is why the thread, which it used to have, got rather quickly abandoned after the first two or three pages.

Just to give an idea-- there's a chapter devoted solely to the main character wanting to see his girlfriend literally "Eating raw bacon, with cat ears".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I really want the main character to turn out to be a girl. I mean just look at this. Panel 1. You cannot look at that and say that is not a girl.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Actually I keep expecting his hair to turn out to be a bird and fly away.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

DrSunshine posted:

I really want the main character to turn out to be a girl. I mean just look at this. Panel 1. You cannot look at that and say that is not a girl.

I actually thought he was a girl for the first couple chapters.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Liar posted:

I actually thought he was a girl for the first couple chapters.

Hell, Nagisa is even a girly given name. I know it's our hero's family name, but still.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

God I forgot how much cooler all these dream sequences and splash pages were, Japanese poor taste market majority strikes again :argh:

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

God I forgot how much cooler all these dream sequences and splash pages were, Japanese poor taste market majority strikes again :argh:

I still think that if his editor was to give Ueshiba Riichi (had to google his name) a good writer, they could make something nice.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

DrSunshine posted:

No, because after the first five or ten chapters which are decently strange it turns into "Fetish of the Week".

I really wanted to like this manga but yeah. Started off as pretty neat but it didn't take long for me to feel like the guy was drawing it with one hand.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Tonari no Seki-kun 18!

If you can't relate to this chapter, we can't hang. That's all there is to it. :colbert:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Mary Annette posted:

Tonari no Seki-kun 18!

If you can't relate to this chapter, we can't hang. That's all there is to it. :colbert:

This is the best manga. :allears:

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

Mary Annette posted:

Tonari no Seki-kun 18!

I've been a little behind in keeping up with this thread, but this is always something I'm always looking forward to. Admit it, everyone did something like this at some point in the past. :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hey! I used to do that too, as a kid, with gummi bears and goldfish crackers. Loved Yokoi's evil face, though.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

DrSunshine posted:

Hey! I used to do that too, as a kid, with gummi bears and goldfish crackers. Loved Yokoi's evil face, though.

I can seriously remember biting the faces off from peeps like it was hilarious as all hell.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Liar posted:

I can seriously remember biting the faces off from peeps like it was hilarious as all hell.

I used to make M&Ms fight to the death by smashing them together and eating the one that cracked first.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mary Annette posted:

Tonari no Seki-kun 18!

Anyone else got a Shingeki no Kyojin / Advance of the Giants vibe from this chapter?

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Tonari no Seki-kun is amazing. I can't think of any other series that only has two characters. My running commentary for every chapters is "no! yoiko! you can do it! ignore him!" but of course she can't and then I get sucked into Seki's antics too.

This will end with her in a padded cell.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Goddamit, I wanted to sleep early, but I just had to see why you guys kept talking about Sumire 16 so highly.

It was a great story. The kind that makes you wish there were at least 50 more chapters where we can see Sumire and friends go on all sort of wackier adventures.

Oh, yeah, I have some theories too.

The elementary school chapters seem to suggest he didn't up and try to act as Sumire out of the blue, but like some acting methods suggest, he went through it because it's easier to act out a character if you know their backstory. For him to be a believable high-school girl, he couldn't just invent previous experiences, but had to live them himself as an elementary and (probably) junior high girl.

As for his reason to do so he probably was the original Sumire's father, who probably died before she could attend high-school. I think it makes sense that, seeing how much he cares about people, he would want to grant his daughter's wish to go to school and make lots of friends, even if is in such a strange manner. Sharing her energy and optimism with others, so they remember her fondly, would be kind of a way to keep her alive in their hearts :unsmith:

The ending was great. The whole dead eyes with the now adult girls and the way they acted, it looked like they realized that Sumire can only exist as a high school girl, and she couldn't be both their, and the younger girls friend at the same time, not without breaking the magic the old man suffered so much to maintain, even if his true feelings were so evident.

It reminded of how a goon in another thread shared how his grandpa acted all kinds of awesome and wise around kids, but if he was talking with anyone over 18 years old, he acted like a bumbly old man, and how the goon got the same treatment after his 18th birthday.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kal-L posted:

It reminded of how a goon in another thread shared how his grandpa acted all kinds of awesome and wise around kids, but if he was talking with anyone over 18 years old, he acted like a bumbly old man, and how the goon got the same treatment after his 18th birthday.

Oh geez. Can you imagine? Grandpa shows up on your 18th birthday, and you're all like "Grandpa! :neckbeard:" And then he isn't the former awesome grandpa you knew back just a few months ago, he's just a bumbly old man, and you're like "...Grandpa? :smith:"

Aww. I'd like to see that post if you know how to find it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Latest chapter of "Wandering High School Girls". This has got to be one of the most surreal chapters yet. It's just so weird, yet strangely funny.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tonari no Seki kun side chapter - http://mangafox.me/manga/tonari_no_seki_kun/c015.1/1.html

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I don't think I get the baseball bit at all.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Maybe it's a joke about balking or something?

Also, there's already another new chapter of Girls' Group No.7 - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dainana-Joshikai-Houkou/Vol-002-Ch-018--Browsing-Around---It-s-Up-to-You?id=145009

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I figured it was a joke that everyone takes Seki way too seriously. The pitch is named an amazing hesitant pitch, and it lives up to that name. It is amazing, but the pitcher is hesitant to unleash its raw power.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Whenever I don't understand a joke in a manga, I always assume it's a pun.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It was called the Super Hesitant Pitch. The first guy said it would make the batter hesitate, but then the pitcher was going to hesitate too and not use it. So it went both ways. That's how I read it.

MayLanh
Apr 16, 2012

by angerbot
Assassination Classroom 15

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
Everybody's picking on Bitch-sensei in this chapter, I feel sorry for her. :( Why was Karasuma so angry at her fashion anyways?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Tumblr has some ideas about what's going on with Nagisa:

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

gnome7 posted:

Tumblr has some ideas about what's going on with Nagisa:

That doesn't explain his hair.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

He just likes the look.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

He just likes the look.

He's just a long-lost relative!

MayLanh
Apr 16, 2012

by angerbot
Assassination Classroom 16

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:tviv:

Ahahahaha! Oh my GOD! The "Ruination sensei" panel with the Spanish Monkey Jesus fresco painting. That is amazing, everyone go read this right now!!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

DrSunshine posted:

:tviv:

Ahahahaha! Oh my GOD! The "Ruination sensei" panel with the Spanish Monkey Jesus fresco painting. That is amazing, everyone go read this right now!!

Yeah seriously, this manga is amazing. I was honestly expecting the kids to just stab the highschoolers coming after them. Karma seems to type to just go for it and they've all had weapons training. But it looks like instead we're going to be going places.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 27, 2012

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Sorry for the double post but:

Hey remember how there wasn't an assassination classroom chapter a couple weeks ago? Apparently it's because Matsui was writing a bonus chapter for a different manga, PSI. It features everyone's favorite tentacle monster sensei! I hope this gets a translation.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

gnome7 posted:

Sorry for the double post but:

Hey remember how there wasn't an assassination classroom chapter a couple weeks ago? Apparently it's because Matsui was writing a bonus chapter for a different manga, PSI. It features everyone's favorite tentacle monster sensei! I hope this gets a translation.

Speaking of, PSI Saiki Kusuo is another sort of surreal daily life manga, about a psychic boy who has amazing ESP powers, but doesn't really enjoy life with them, because they just take the fun and effort out of everything.

It's quite funny!

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I was sort of hoping they'd kidnap Nagisa too, with him defending himself as being a man and the bad guys refusing to believe it.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
New Girls' Group No. 7. Takagi is meeting a lot of strange people lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hm, I wonder what happens when the unbelievably powerful and fast alien Korosensei meets the ultimate psychic Saiki Kusuou?

This apparently.

Also, that was the surrealest chapter of Girls Group no. 7 yet. I had no idea what the heck I was looking at. Amazing stuff!

• Locked thread