Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Clerics aren't even good Exorcists. Exorcism is really expensive, costing around 4 turns' worth of mana regen. In all the major undead battles and sidequests, I just make sure to have around 20 Exorcism scrolls in my inventory and just let everyone remove undead at their own pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 7: It’s Late

We’re going to start this update by taking care of a little unfinished business.

We got some empty space in our roster and we need a lizard dude to fill it.

Just to show it, recruitment skills technically have infinite range, but unless you’re adjacent to the target it’s probably not going to work. Which makes all that yellow space useless.

Other than distance there are a few things you can do to increase the odds of a successful recruit. Having the right lore skill equipped and bring the target’s HP down to critical helps. Also each unit has a stat called loyalty, but I will get to that in a bit.

Imagine this happening a lot and me spamming the Chariot system until...

:toot:

By the way I forgot to mention it last time; you’re a wizard doomfunk. A wizard who specializes in pyromancy and talking to lizards, you know the best kind of wizard.

Since I reduce Buluru’s HP in order to recruit him, he is down to only 3 HP.

But some healing items will take care of that problem.

Good as new and for some reason he’s green now. That must have been one hell of a Mend Leaf.

After that the weather took a nice up turn and the battle continued.

Before we move on, Buluru had some words for his old comrades.

And he prefers to talk with his fists.

Buluru is now an honored member of the order of Goons.

So let’s look at what he can do. As expected of a humanoid lizard he’s got a lot of strength, a solid defense, and good overall physical stats.

Right now he can only use the Warrior and Berserker classmarks. For the time being I going to leave him as a Warrior.

Now on to that Loyalty thing. To check a unit’s loyalty you have to open the help command by pressing select and highlight the circle next to the unit’s name. Then you will see a message that describes how loyally the unit is to you.

As you can read Buluru seems to like us a bit, but he isn’t our biggest supporter. Let see what the rest of the order thinks of us. Starting with the hired goons:

Leal Tough not openly discontent, this unit will not speak against those who are.
Staticpulse Tough not openly discontent, this unit makes no effort to keep consul with you.
doomfunk More often than not, this unit speaks in support of your decisions.

At least doomfunk seems happy with us. Moving on:

Canopus This unit supports you in all things - a loyal ally to the end.

:respek:

Votare, Sara, and Donnalto This unit often speaks on your behalf to win others to our side.
Catiua More often than not, this unit speaks in support of your decisions.
Vyce This unit looks favorably on your decisions and shares an understanding with you.

And last but not least:

Denam The lead is to stand alone.

After all that we return to the castle and meet with the duke in his favorite room.

You know I’m starting to think that when the Galgastani captured the Duke they chained him to that chair and after the fled no one has been able to find the key.

I hope you continue to do so. You are to accompany Leonar to Phidoch Castle - a Bakram holding.

Phidoch Castle - where the Dark Knights are garrisoned. Why there?

I want you to forge a treaty of non-interference before the real fighting with Galgastan begins. Not with the Bakram, mind you, but with the Dark Knights of Lodis. We cannot have them hounding our flank while we are occupied with Galgastan.

Our parents died on Loslorien swords. Had they not aided the Bakram, how much suffering might we have been spared?

None know this better than I, Catiua. But consider what would happen were we to face such a foe in open battle. They would crush us. The Bakram people, overfed swine that they are, are no threat. Ah, but the Dark Knights - there is a foe to be feared. Which is why we must swear allegiance to Lodis and ensure they are no foe of ours.

Normally I would call out Vyce for being confrontational but I think this time he is right to question the plan. Even if he does it in his usual hostile manner.

Tread carefully, Vyce. I have told you we are of one mind on this. I know the devil's bargain we make with Lodis. But it is only until we can deal with Galgastan...and Balbatos. With the Dark Knights at bay, those opportunist in the Galgastani camp clamoring for war will fall silent. There's our chance. Once Balbatos is dead and buried, only then do we turn to strike the Bakram. What does our Holy Knight make of this? The Xenobian throne has no designs on Valeria. Nor Lodis, they. Surely, then, King Tristan would not object to a treaty of non-interference. A gesture of support for our burgeoning state. Ah, but I forget this has no bearing on you, Sir Lanselot. Forgive me.

Lanselot seems a little apprehensive about all this.

Well, the sooner you and Leonar have left for Phidoch, the better. A purse of 5,000 Goth should help you see to your needs. I'll not have you depart unprepared.

Well we have a new goal and that goal is to go a forge a treaty with the people who killed our family. This is going to go well.

But before we get there we have some mandatory battles to get through.

The Golborza Plain: A great grassland spreading across central Almorica.

Talk brave as you like, it won't change our odds. We should rejoin the file.

The soldier then turns to walk away.

Brezen might have some issues.

But a lack of patriotism isn’t one of them.

The enemy cleric spends the first few rounds boosting her ally’s MP with items; I told you it was a nice trick.

Canopus recovers for that little slump he been on and is the first to attack the enemy.

Canopus, The Wind Caller Is Faster Than You Count: 4

And here I thought the game was done with the tutorial screens. That’s what I get for thinking.

If Denam can shout all the way across a battlefield I guess it makes sense that recruitment skills have such ridiculous range.

I thought to offer you much the same deal, boy! A battle's won with blood, not numbers.

Your cause is hopeless. Why throw your lives away?

I know your kind - young, always thinking on tomorrow. You might try letting go. Drifting with the current.

You think me unprepared for death? I'm not so young as that!

Gods beneath us, why do I even bother?

The rest of the battle is pretty uneventful.

Until out of nowhere the enemy pulls out an AOE sleep spell.

Proud of herself the enchantress walks away.

Following tried and true RPG logic the best way to wake someone up is to hit them with an attack, and of course it works.

Not long after that the gang surrounds Brezen.

He does get a few counterattacks in but at this point of the game counters only do 25% of the damage of a normal attack.

He tried to put up a fight but in the end it was Staticpluse who got to finish him off.

May the currents of time take you away, you ally killing psycho.

That’s a nice amount of loot.

I might be a little over leveled.

Joins me next time for :suicide:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

By the way I forgot to mention it last time; you’re a wizard doomfunk. A wizard who specializes in pyromancy and talking to lizards, you know the best kind of wizard.
doomfunk More often than not, this unit speaks in support of your decisions.
At least doomfunk seems happy with us.

I got zero complaints about this. It's not my favourite magic skill but Fire is absolutely no slouch and I love the fx for it. Hence the loyalty!

Joins me next time for :suicide:

I double dog dare you to get as many titles from this one as you can.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Ah yes, the second most aggravating thing that makes trying to be a perfectionist, as well as restarting several times completely tedious.

Speaking of loot, I think the fact the AI will pick up any and all bags like a bunch of thieves is what made me stop using archers to kill things and just wound people. Kill someone on the other side of the map just for one of his buds to pick up the bag :argh:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does everything you can recruit share classes with your humans, or are there pure monsters out there?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

There are pure monsters. Also, every non-human has some non-human classes that it uses, we just don't have classmarks for the reptilian-specific ones yet.

Magoo 111
Jun 29, 2012
Ah, gotta love a good lizardman. Gotta love a good lizardman taking no damage from anything because they're crazy good as hell.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
I'm curious, I vaguely remember in the original that you could name the non-humans you got. Was that purely through hiring like the soldiers, or can you rename non-humans you recruit? I never really bothered in my army, though I was tempted to pick up a ghost at some point.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Kobold posted:

I'm curious, I vaguely remember in the original that you could name the non-humans you got. Was that purely through hiring like the soldiers, or can you rename non-humans you recruit? I never really bothered in my army, though I was tempted to pick up a ghost at some point.

If I remember correctly, you could rename monsters (but not humans) at recruiting offices.

Beyond Within
Jan 29, 2009
In the original you could buy monsters and the demi-humans through the shop, and name them then, but not afterwards. The monster naming in recruitment office was FFT.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
I like how in the original PSX translation, the soldier who got hammer'd was all like "They have bigger swords than us! We can't win! :ohdear:". Good times. Also holy hell, I need to start using Lizardmen more.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Class: Valkyrie and Rune Fencer

A well rounded caster of attacks and healing spells who is also adept at the sword and spear-play. Able to move through water tiles.

RT: 26
Movement: 4 Agile, Swim
Jump: 2 Up, 3 Down

Equip: 1H Sword, Spear, Bow, Crossbow, Thrown, Heavy Armor
Spells: Air, Earth, Lightning, Water, Fire, Ice, Divine magic
Skills: HP Infusion (8), Barricade (10), Conserve MP (16), MP Infusion (24), and Recruit (1)

Valkyries and Rune Fencers (which I kept calling Rune Knights for some unknown reason) are a hybrid class. They can use both physical and magic attacks. However, they don’t excel at either, and for this reason many people don’t like them. The see this classes lack of specialization as a weakness, but I like to see their versatility as a strength.

In terms of offense and defense they aren’t the best and their never going to be the best. So, what you have to do especially in the early game is focus on their versatility. Don’t try to make them do just one thing great but make them do many things well. In the beginning of the game when you have fewer units to play with a Valkyrie can fill roles that you need covered. After a while they will be able to learn support magic and then they will begin to shine. Divine support spells like Boon of Swiftness (a.k.a. Haste) combined with Conserved MP will keep your party in prime fighting condition. Plus they can cast Heal when your in a pinch.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
Rune Fencer is your jack-of-all-trades class, but its really bad for generic units to use. Since the Fencer can do everything, its middling at everything, especially in the early game. Generics just don't start with the raw stats to be threatening either physically or magically and have poor durability on top of that. Personally, I was always a fan of making Denam a Fencer for the early game since he had the stats to pull it off.

So, when you have someone good in the class, what do you get?

As a mage, the Fencer is not good. Except for Divine, they only have access to missile magic, Infuse [Element] and [Element] Guard. Guard affects a wide area and, as its name suggests, helps the units resist that specific element. But since elemental attacks afflict Adverse frequently, it gets overwritten easily and is thus pretty useless.

Infuse is interesting. What it does is that it adds an element to your weapon. So now your sword or whatever does a small bit of elemental damage in addition to physical damage. It isn't much, but what it does do is train the appropriate Augment skill. Augment skills are a pain to raise, so getting a jump on that is really good. Besides, you never know when you need just a bit more damage for that KO...

Fencers learn more Divine magic than any other, so there's no reason for them not to have it. In addition to the above three, they also get healing, Boon of Swiftness (a.k.a. Haste), and two late-game status restorers. Speaking of late-game, there's another class of magic they can use which makes them better but that's for when the LP gets there.

Skill-wise, they get a few interesting ones. HP Infusion is a direct TP-to-HP conversion (with a base of 50 TP to activate), so its great for emergencies. MP Infusion is the same but for MP. Whether these are important enough to warrant a skill slot is up to the user; Field Alchemy can pretty much achieve the same thing and is more versatile.

Barricade throws up a, well, obstruction much like a tree or shrub but with much less HP. I don't know if the AI ever targets barricades, but it has a large TP cost for what it does, never mind something with Rampart Aura effectively does the same thing but better (and for free).

Conserve MP is the real money maker here. It reduces the next spell's MP cost to 0 for 30 TP. This is very cheap. And since the Fencer is combat-viable, they can accumulate TP quick enough to use it often. And they have haste.

Early game when the Fencer doesn't have access to all their nice stuff, they're basically Clerics who can fight... provided you have someone with the stats to not make themselves a liability. Once the better magic and skills become available they get much, much better. They truly shine in the late game and are excellent support units.

One thing I didn't mention is that this class has innate Wade. Any unit without Wade cannot enter water tiles. There's a quite a few maps with water in it and having wade can be pretty nice. It's not essential, just a little perk that occasionally gets to shine.

Unrelated to my class evaluation, I'm really looking forward to the next map. It's going to be such a treat. :allears:

Staticpulse fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 14, 2012

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

e: Since you mentioned innate Wade, I think - I think - lizardfolk have innate Wade on most of their classes. Reptilian supremacy. :black101:

If you're going to have any generic be a Rune Fencer, make it a winged generic. Mobility is already one of the class's strong points and with winged's already fairly... diverse base stats, it's a clear fit.

Interestingly, I was comparing the base stat spread for Rune Fencers to other normal classes and overall they're very low; this is, I think, why they're as maligned as they are. Their keystone stat is Res, so sure, they resist magic really well but they're pretty much garbage at everything else. They'd be better off with even attack/defense scales (versus the really, really heavy scale toward defense most knights have) and just a bit more strength and intelligence; that would make them more viable as the 'flexible attack unit' early-mid-game than they currently are. As it stands, you're lucky if yours does spell damage in the double digits most of the time.

The class of magic they have access to later on, though, is a real doozy. Basically my favorite spells, right there. I can only think of two, maybe three, other classes that have access to them.

Also...

doomfunk posted:

I double dog dare you to get as many titles from this one as you can.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sword-and-board rune fencers are actually quite decent tanks. They're not going to do a lot of damage with a spear either, so you're not sacrificing much.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

It's surprising to me how few classes can actually use spears. Pity, too, considering how radical their finishers are.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Spears have some nice finishers, but they do have some issues with their range. Late game spears are a little awkward to use, I felt.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I usually have them attacking from behind someone. Ozma and Ravness are pretty much BFF's in my game with that tactic.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I do the same thing. It's really quite effective.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yay, a Tactics Ogre LP! You don't know how much I wanted this to happen. :woop:

It's a shame they didn't improve the sprites - Denam's one in particular looks pretty silly.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So ummm, it's been three weeks since the last the last update. I loved Ogre Battle and I'm really hoping to see this game. Should we be worried?

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Don't worry. I just had one of those crises that caused me to rethink the entire purpose of my life and what not. You know that thing that happens during everyone's first LP.

Expect a new update in a day or so.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I've gotten this and been playing myself, and I haven't regretted it so far. I look forward to the end of Chapter 1. If you're naming recruits after people I'd be happy to be turned into a little redshirt person on your screen.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Don't worry. I just had one of those crises that caused me to rethink the entire purpose of my life and what not. You know that thing that happens during everyone's first LP.

Expect a new update in a day or so.

Hey, we care for your wellbeing, even though we also want to see you suffer for us in-game. :v:
Don't push yourself, take it easy, we can wait!

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 8: Save Me

We start off this update with a little bit of prep. In this next fight we are going to need a lot of healers. So, I taught Donnalto the first Field Alchemy skill. This will allow him use better healing items.

Also I equip him with a lobber which gives him the ability to throw items.

Of course, I also stock up on Mend Leafs +2 and other healing items that are going to be crucial to our future success. Actually all of this is a lie. Donnalto and most of my healers are going to be useless in the upcoming fight.

Now here comes the part you have been waiting a month for...

Naked Vyce! Oh, baby... :suicide:

There's a reason for this I swear.

Since I'm uncreative, I left Denam a knight and taught him the skill that makes this class useful Rampart Aura. This skill turns Knights from a waste of space into a bigger waste of space, but in a good way.

The Arkhaiopolis of Rhime: This ancient city, site of the first battle between Galgastani and Walister, has stood for centuries.

I can see what they were going for with the name of this place, but the spelling makes Word explode.

Our nameless friend has a forehead full of justice. This was just a lazy joke used to call attention to her slightly larger than normal forehead.

Defiant cur! Kill her.

He's not insulting forehead over there. "Defiant cur" is his nickname for the dragon.

Grrrrr!

Whoosh!

Hoop!

Exciting sprite based action.

The choices here determine the objective of the battle. The options are straight forward:

Choice 1: If bighead dies, you lose.
Choice 2: When she dies nobody cares, we move on, and have a beautiful picnic after the battle.

I didn't see the point of asking everyone in thread what I should do because I knew you would just pick the more painful of the two options. You guys would never let me have that picnic.

I won't stand here and watch her be hunted. Quickly, to her aid!

Yes, quickly. That's how this will go.

Unencumbered by the trappings of clothing and modesty, Vyce charges forward.

Now take a moment and think about what you would do if you where surrounded by a bunch of people and a dragon who were trying to kill you. If your first thought was to attack the closest enemy and not, say, try join up with the people who are trying to save you, then congratulations you are as dumb as the A.I. in this game.

But at least she does get a good hit in.

The dragon slumbers forward.

And Canopus takes to the skies to quell the approaching beast.

Or maybe not.

I mean he took to the skies to attack that one guy who is just standing there minding his own business.

That will work.

And here is where the pain begins. You might be thinking "oh, only a 34% chance to hit, this shouldn't be too bad." If your thinking that then you never played a game where you were at the mercy of a RNG.

Actually let me rephrase that, here's where the series of lucky breaks begins. The RNG god smiles on me this day.

But his smile is still a crooked one.

Vyce, feeling as free as the day his lord made him, decides attacking the dragon is the best course of action. Again the A.I. in this game is stupid.

The dragon returns the favor.

You might have noticed that right now my characters can do jack poo poo to that dragon, so how am I going to take care of it.

Simple, the answer is magic. For the rest of this battle Bran is going to go mano-a-mano with a dragon.

Alright now I will explain why Vyce is running around in his birthday suit.

The name of the game in this battle is keeping Cistina alive.

The trouble with this is she has a giant target painted on that oversized forehead of hers.

This means while she is stuck on that little island fighting with the enemy Valkyrie.

The two enemy archers and their wizard friend are going to have a field day with her, and by the time we can do anything about it she will already be dead.

To make matters worse, our starting position bottlenecks our units right into the path of the dragon. Dragons also have their own version of the skill Rampart Aura and not to mention high HP, strength, and defense. So, getting to her is going to take some time.

To keep Cistina alive long enough for our units to reach her we need to provide the enemy with a easy target.

By removing all of Vyce's equipment (I left the defense ring on but it doesn't really make much of a difference) his stats will be low and the enemy will attack him over Cistina if they're both in range.

This strategy is usually called the "Naked Canopus" strategy because people will take avantage of his large movement range and flying ability, and use an equipmentless Canopus to distract the enemy.

I choose to use Vyce instead because I don't like him. Plus he shares the game suicidal A.I. so even without equipment he will charge forward and make himself the perfect target.

Like so.

Whereas Canopus, like the enemy winged-man, is to valuable an asset to waste on such a role.

In my haste to get to Cistina, I moved Donnalto next to the dragon in an attempt to get around its Rampart Aura.

It did not go so well.

But it did distract the dragon and allow Bran enough breathing room to continue pelting it with lighting.

While the enemy does a similar things to Vyce.

The dragon continues to pin me down with its Aura blocking my path.

But after a turn or two Dorys finds herself in just right position.

You could call this checkmate.

With the Valkyrie dead we are one leap away from victory.

Victory! :toot:

With Cistina now on the same side of the water and within the range of a healing spell this fight is over.

Excited over this ordeal being complete, I tried to have a little fun and had Canopus attack his enemy counterpart.

He came up a little short.

Strangely enough Vyce survived being the enemy's punching bag.

However, Donnalto didn't survive his brush with the dragon.

Forget that thing I said about Vyce surviving.

On the other hand, I used a Blessing Stone to revive Donnalto while Vyce ran away.

Sara gives Bran a helping hand and finishes off the dragon.

By the way Staticpulse now knows a skill.

With a shout he charges up a mighty ripple of strength and courage.

The best thing about skills are they don't count as actions, so you can use one and attack in the same turn.

Oh and Leonar kills that one guy to end the fight.

Pleasant dreams, whoever you were.

Congratulations

Without your aid, I would never have escaped with my life. Thank you. I am Cistina, a warrior in the Liberation Front. I was scouting the Galgastani in preparation for a raid on their stores when they spotted me.

I hope Vyce put some clothes on before this scene started.

I had always thought us two sides of the same coin.

She is a Bakram Traditionalist, a group loyal to the late King Dorgalua.

I've heard of them. Not all Bakram support the current regime, after all.

Oh their goals are lofty enough, but their deeds border on butchery. They risk the lives of soldier and innocent alike with their subversion. Means unworthy of their end.

You have us wrong! These are lies spread by Brantyn! We seek only a return to better times, when a man's race and beliefs could not discredit him.

Better times? Don't make me laugh! Good enough for those with luck to be born Bakram, but we lied then as we do now - insects beneath the boots of our betters!

I see...then tell me: Why is it that you fight?

We must build a country of our own if our people are to have any future.

Your words echo Brantyn's own. You speak of your country, your people, but you care only for yourselves.

Are your motives so pure? I find the stench of Bakram dogs difficult to tell apart!

Enough Vyce. Such talk leads us nowhere. You are free to go Cistina. But you must quit this place at once. This is our land. Our fight. The Bakram are not welcome here.

I have a felling Leonar and Vyce are going to become the greatest of friends

As you wish. But we will not stop until the world is made fair and just. One day you will open your eyes. You will see that only by putting aside vain desires can we usher in an era of true peace.

Go now. And do not return.

Cistina takes a moment to look back at the jerks who saved her before leaving.

Now nothing stand between Denam and having a meeting with the guy who killed his family. This should be fun.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's some irony in the fact that the only thing that can save a boneheaded suicidal NPC is another boneheaded suicidal NPC.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So be honest, how many times did you have to try this before finally succeeding? Sometimes you just get really unlucky and the valkyrie will hit her and crit, and then the archer will hit her and crit, then the wizard finishes her off :smith:

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Leal posted:

So be honest, how many times did you have to try this before finally succeeding? Sometimes you just get really unlucky and the valkyrie will hit her and crit, and then the archer will hit her and crit, then the wizard finishes her off :smith:
It really is an annoying fight if you choose the "You lose if she dies" option. And, if I'm not mistaken, at least in the original you had to take that option for certain things down the line to occur.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

That's the case here as well.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Leal posted:

So be honest, how many times did you have to try this before finally succeeding?

I was lucky and got it one the first try, and this is the first time that has ever happened. Cistina was only attack about three times before she got herself into healing range. The enemies just kept attacking Vyce.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I was lucky and got it one the first try, and this is the first time that has ever happened. Cistina was only attack about three times before she got herself into healing range. The enemies just kept attacking Vyce.

Getting Donnalto eaten by a dragon may have been a stroke of tactical genius--Vyce often goes toe to toe with it and gets driven from the battle too soon to be viable bait by himself.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

'Protect the idiot NPC' missions are already pretty awful, but somehow this game manages to make them even worse. Even gaming the RNG via Chariot doesn't help much as you start so far away behind bad terrain/choke points and the suicidal AI thinks it can take care of itself.

I've never tried using a naked unit as bait. I usually just bang my head against the wall until everything falls into place.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah, there's one in CODA that's basically utter horseshit. I only made it to the NPC before he got one-shot by cheesing the mission completely.

e: I've done the naked unit maneuver once, more often I just have everyone eat Wheels of Fortune and blitz the battlefield.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So you just lost Donnalto permanently? :v: I remember playing the PSX version of this game, and losing a lot of soldiers.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Azran posted:

So you just lost Donnalto permanently? :v: I remember playing the PSX version of this game, and losing a lot of soldiers.
Nah, he used a Stone on him to bring him back. It's TO's equivalent of Phoenix Downs. It's one of the changes I really like in this version. In the original, if a character died... he was just gone unless you had a Priest with Revive (which was a late-game spell). So a lucky hit or a bad move could lose you a valued character really easily. Now you have the FFT-style couple of turns to either complete the mission or get them back up.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Also, characters have a number of 'hearts' that indicate times they can be incapacitated and have their timers run out. Basically everyone has three lives, it's really quite forgiving.

It's also a pain in the rear end if you want to scavenge off of a character.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I was trying to play this on the Playstation years ago, and while I loved FFT to death, the grinding for Tactics Ogre was enough to kill me on the game before I got too far.

I'm really glad you're doing this - I love the complex and semi-realistic political setups, with people on all sides of the spectrum. (Much like FFT's plot.)

May I ask what happens if you side with Christina, and say you're fighting for peace?

Thanks!

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Leal posted:

Honestly FFT had this problem too,although personally it's more of the AI refusing to run away from enemies.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Kacie posted:

May I ask what happens if you side with Christina, and say you're fighting for peace?
Thanks!
Aside from her reacting more positively, nothing. Leonar and Vice still tell her to :frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well Vyce does say a pretty great line.

• Locked thread